5.0 out of 5 stars Think It is The Perfect Fifth Book In This Series!
Published on October 2, 2009 by Portianay

3.0 out of 5 stars The Call of the Syren?
Syren is the latest book in the Septimus Heap series and I can not say that I was overly impressed. After Magyk I noticed a slight flaw in the books, the flaw is that the author uses the same formula over and over again.

Step 1: There are very stong hints that something very terrible is going to happen.

Step 2: Something bad does happen and the...
Published on October 12, 2009 by Jake D. Worley

5.0 out of 5 stars Think It is The Perfect Fifth Book In This Series!, October 2, 2009
I think the character development in this one was perfect, and do not understand the comment another reader made that it was not. I felt we learned more about these "tweens" as they are approaching adulthood, and I felt it was realistic development, too. The story line is, as always with Ms. Sage, engaging, and new characters come on the scene smoothly. The new characters themselves are interesting, and I find myself looking forward to Book Six--the wait! the wait!!!! It is so hard to wait!!! --with great anticipation, to see how they progress.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, November 2, 2009
I've read all the books thus far and this by far was my favorite. The story is brimming with adventure and action, but Sage does not drift away from the humor that keeps her book unique and exciting. The descriptions provide the reader with thorogh descriptions and the story gives an intimate look into what it's like to be a preteen. As a teenager in her later years of high school, this book was not too far off what I felt only a couple of years before. The book shows teenage angst, but doesn't lather it on like some books often do. I definately recommend this book and can't wait for Sage to release another!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Call of the Syren?, October 12, 2009
This review is from: Septimus Heap, Book Five: Syren (Kindle Edition)

Step 2: Something bad does happen and the pampered little kids have to deal with it.

Step 3: Don't worry! We solved it very fast. It was slow going so I thought there should be a conflict but don't even worry one bit, we solved it before anything actually happened.

Although Angie Sage uses this formula numerous times, I was glad to see that somethings were left hanging until the next book. The newest character added, Syrah Syara, was very different than the other teenagers (which I think are whiny and helpless); Syrah is a dark character that is technically 500 years old and sometimes not in control of her own body. Although I like her, I'm not sure it was wise for the author to make a nineteen year old and a twelve year old a prospective couple.

Septimus is a well rounded character and, as I noticed in Syren, a little haughty as he is not used to being treated with disrespect (being the Apprentice and all). Jenna however I feel should be tied up and thrown off a cliff with sharp rocks at the bottom. She is so stupid, naive, and frankly the last person I would want with me on a deserted island.

Marcia is my favorite character and I am majorly pissed of at the small role she was given. Wolf Boy, at the beginning, was semi interesting yet he seemed to be the same good guy character that belongs to most every male character in the series.

Syren itself is not well planned out as it seems like the plot threads either get cut short or go to long. I did like the parallel scenes in the second to last chapter though (Teenagers in the boat trying to get Jim Knee to freeze the soldiers and Silias and Sarah meeting with Marcia in the Wizard Tower), but it was very predictable that they would win and everyone would live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Septimus Heap books, May 11, 2011
I am a big fan of the Harry Potter books and was sad when the last book came out....then I found the Septimus Heap books and they are just as fun and the characters are just as loveable...I love their adventures and the dragon Spit Frye, the Extrordinary Wizard Marcia, the Ghouts in the castle, and Aunt Zelda and her swamp monsters...Angie Sage sucks you right in and keeps the story going...I love that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, April 13, 2011
Crissy (Springfield, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Septimus Heap, Book Five: Syren (Kindle Edition)
This is a well-written, enjoyable read. I especially like the little stories at the end of each Septimus Heap book that give more info about minor characters in the story. This is the best book in the series thus far.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite series ever !!!, March 8, 2011
I started reading books for 8-12 year olds out loud back & forth with my niece when she was in 3-4 grade. She's now a college junior and I'm still reading children's books because I love them. This Septimus Heap series is my absolute favorite, over Harry Potter and any other. In this installment Septimus finds a former apprentice that never returned from a Queste, unlike Septimus who returned from his Queste in a previous volume. I believe there is only going to be 2 more books in this series. Since Sep is the 7th son of a 7th son I understood at the beginning of the series there would be 7 books of course. With Syren being book 5 we're getting close to the end of Sep's story. I have devoured them all. Angie Sage has an easy to read style of writing making her stories so enjoyable to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfuly written, February 19, 2011
Rita T Tullius (San Bruno, Ca. United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, fantastic adventure, the character's are believable and loveable. The story carries you away and you feel like your right there in the story. I'm an adult and it holds my attention beatuifully, I love a good story, and this is definately a good story. Septimus Heap is a book I will recommend to my grand children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Magic!, August 30, 2010
My daughter love this book series, in fact she already read the entire series. The seller send the book in perfect conditions, just new and we love and appreciated that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awsome!, January 14, 2010
I am a old fan of Septimus Heap and have read all the books! (I also known all of them!) They are thrilling and are my second to most favorite book sires.

2.Magic:An awesome and classic book

5.Flyte: good, but...

1.Physic: Possibly the best one yet

4.Quest:Really good but second too last on my list of favorite Septimus books. And left too many problem unsolved.

3.Syren:Made problems and didn't solve many (or any) from Quest. But kept me at the edge of my seat. Generally wonderful book but it feels like it is starting too loss some of the magic of "Magic" (the book)

Well bravo Angie Sage for another breathtaking success but don't let all the magic escape

5.0 out of 5 stars more fun than Harry Potter, but with less anxiety, December 20, 2009
I loved this installment of the Septimus Heap series. Ms. Sage has created a number of interesting and eccentric characters throughout her series, both good and evil, with Septimus holding the central heroic position as is only fitting for the newly promoted Apprentice. Syren is a book that has wide appeal for all ages! The book had enough action to hold my interest, and even though it is written for a much younger audience, I had a great time reading it and was wishing for more at the end. It has all the magic that the Harry Potter series has, without the gut-wrenching anxiety and violence. Syren is written just for fun, and that's exactly what it is! Bravo!

Septimus Heap, Book Five: Syren