Customer Discussions > Sunshine forum

Sequel unlikely

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2006 8:37:32 AM PDT
Monadnock says:
According to the author's website (Oct. 2003):
(http://www.robinmckinley.com/Appearances.html#SequelFAQ)
"I haven't the slightest idea if I'll write a sequel! It's not up to me! I can't do anything unless or until a story comes to me and says, 'Write me - write me now.' ...Given my professional history on the subject of sequels, I can't say that the odds are very good"

I find this reply to be disingenuous and, frankly, bs. If she knows she cannot write a book without receiving a divine revelation from the Story Council, then she could easily have tied up the *many* loose ends in this book and ensured that readers did not expect a sequel. I guess I really blame her editor(s). If they have been with her for previous publications, they should know of her propensity for leaving readers hanging and had her wrap the book up properly.

I had never read Robin McKinley before reading Sunshine. I *loved* it - fantastic story, world and characters. However, I will not read anything else by her. I can't set myself up for disappointment that way. I suppose I should thank her for being so honest so I don't waste my time and money on her books. (Thank you)

P.S. She also states on the website that she knows more of what happens to Sunshine post-novel and would love to write about her again. My humble suggestion: post it on the website, don't cling to it in case inspiration strikes ten years from now. It would gain alot of respect from the fans who are disgusted about how the book ended with no plans for a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2007 10:56:25 AM PDT
is this a good book?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2007 12:29:57 PM PDT
MarinaIzra says:
It'a a brilliant book, and she is a fantastic wirter, though a bit temperamental, as Linda's post shows. Read all her books if you like fairy tales and smart fantasy. Her writing is addictive.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 9:51:32 PM PDT
Kotori says:
Don't deny yourself further adventures with McKinley.

There is at least one book she has written a sequel for - Hero & The Sword, & The Blue crown -oops I think I'm mixing up the titles.

Hero & the Crown
& The Blue Sword

FANTASTIC - don't deny yourself the pleasure. Ends are tied!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2007 4:57:10 PM PDT
The Hero and the Crown is the prequel to The Blue Sword, it was written after. Still, please please please do read more Robin McKinley! The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, Spindle's End, Beauty and Sunshine are all her best! Sunshine really does have too many loose ends, I WANT a sequel SOOOO badly! I hope that Ms. McKinley takes her urge to write about Sunshine and Constantine again and turns it into a reality!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2007 2:18:46 AM PDT
Liz says:
I couldn't agree more - Sunshine is the best dark fantasy I have read (and reread!), but the end of the book doesn't tie up the loose ends - it actually opens out far too many possibilities as to what could happen next. Maybe that is what is preventing McKinley from writing a sequel (I hope!). My fear is that McKinley won't write a sequel because she doesn't want Sunshine to become yet another sexy-vampire series. As someone who regularly reads sexy-vampire series, I promise you Ms McKinley I would never think of your sequel as anything but high quality fiction. Honestly! So get writing!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2007 1:06:35 AM PDT
Honestly, as a writer, you set out to write things, but in the end, you know it's not entirely up to you, and have to go with what grabs you in order to reach professional fulfillment and in order to give your story the richness it requires. She was just being a writer there. I doubt it means much besides the fact that she goes where her writing impetus takes her.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2008 9:54:21 AM PDT
J. Woosley says:
I really enjoyed Sunshine and her other books didn't look be my cup of tea. So only having this to use as a template I'd love seeing a sequel and I also felt it was written like you should be expecting a sequel. I actually preferred this style of vampire writing to the smut ridden Laurel K Hamilton stuff post book 8 or so. Kim Harrison has a good series that's somewhat toned down on the sex factor versus Hamilton.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 30, 2008 5:58:54 PM PDT
RM Piper says:
Try reading Deerskin. It will be your cup of tea if you liked Sunshine. Sunshine was the first book I read by this author and I devoured the rest, even though most were children's books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2008 9:01:26 PM PDT
It's a fun book. I really liked the use of elemental magic/counter magic, and I loved the characters. I really wish McKinley would write a sequel.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 5, 2008 3:23:33 PM PDT
So this may be wishful thinking but they are releasing a new edition of Sunshine on October 7, 2008. This usually means they are about ready to publish a sequel. I had to wait for Tanya Huff to write a new sequel to her Valiant series and they did the same thing by releasing the two previous books in a new format.

Sunshine was my favorite novel of hers. I bought it in hardback and should probably get another copy as the binding is falling apart after so many re-readings over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2008 9:14:46 PM PDT
Hi, so i was wondering how sure you are about this?I just finished reading the book and im dying to read a sequel now. How long was it till they wrote the sequel to the books you were waiting for?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 7, 2008 11:22:02 AM PDT
Antiquarian says:
This is a great book oh so much better than many of the other non-horror vampire books out there. *grumbles about the last Twilight book*

This is taken from Robin's blog dated July 13, 2008 concerning a sequel.

" . . .And Mels. If I ever manage to write a sequel, one of reasons why will be to do something with Mel, who is about the most criminally underutilised character I've ever been responsible for. I couldn't help it-it's the way the story went-but I can not like it. And I do. I don't like it a lot. I also want to find out more about what the Blaises are up to. I know they're up to something. Trust me, I'm even more aware of all the loose ends than you are: but I can still only write what I'm given to write, and what I know about SUNSHINE II, while there's quite a lot of it, remains obstinately fragmentary."

here's the link with comments http://robinmckinleysblog.com/2008/07/13/proofs/#comments

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2008 1:48:06 PM PDT
ElizabetsyM says:
I just finished Sunshine this afternoon, and the first thing I did was go on-line to see if there was a sequel...which it seemed to me was a no brainer...way too many unanswered questions and loose ends left dangling, I agree that if a sequel wasn't in the works than she should have been encouraged to wrap things up a little better

Posted on Apr 27, 2009 9:48:04 PM PDT
Dee18 says:
I almost wish I had never read this book, because it will never feel complete to me. It's like one big loose thread of a story.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 4:05:30 PM PDT
A. Peterson says:
I'm happier wondering if there will be a sequel in 10 years then knowing I won't ever get to go back to the world she created in Sunshine. The world itself was what pulled that story together for me. I have never read a book that gives you so much history without breaking up any of the flow of the storyline. I want a continuation as well as I would like to have a few books set in that same world with new characters and new places. And most of her books have perfectly wonderful completely tied up and closed endings that leave you setting the book down with a sense of sublime satisfaction. That's why we keep going back. And of course who could resist her retellings of Beauty and the Beast? She could write 10 more and I would still devour them.

Posted on Jul 25, 2009 4:12:12 PM PDT
X. Liu says:
It seems she is writing a new book, called Albion, set in the world of Sunshine, but with different characters. It features vampires and is based in England...

From her blog (http://robinmckinleysblog.com/2008/11/08/the-signing-continued/):
"ALBION takes place at roughly the same time as SUNSHINE and in a city nearby to begin with, but our heroine, who has been nicknamed Tree because she doesn't admit to her real name (and trees, you may remember, are impervious to dark magic, so it's a good name to have on your side), shortly moves to Albion when she-ahem!-marries an Albionian who is a lot older than she is-ahem! He dies. He dies on the first page, so I'm not giving anything away: and Peter wrote the Debrett's entry on him (he's posh). America, by the way, in Sunshine's world, is Independencia, but it never quite came up in SUNSHINE.

Albion was hit in the Voodoo Wars much worse than Independencia, and there's a lot of it that is uninhabitable or at least seriously strange as a result . . . and some of the holes let other things through. Some of these Other Things don't like vampires either, and Tree allies with one of them. He's the Hot Guy.

And the chief villain is a female vampire, although villain is perhaps oversimplified. . . ."

Besides from that, her recent blog posts pretty much shot down every possibility of a direct Sunshine sequel, so I guess this is the closest we'll ever get to one. This will probably wrap up some of Sunshine's loose ends, but I'm still bummed by the fact of no Connie or Rae.

Posted on Sep 22, 2009 12:38:08 AM PDT
G. Vo says:
I just finished the book, and I totally agree with the first poster on this discussion - wth?! She is a pretty good writer (I liked THE BLUE SWORD when I read it as a kid) but seriously, the "Story Council"? Its hard to believe in some 'muse' who controls what the author can or cannot write. Sheesh, give me a break.

Anyhow, just wanted to rant. I may read ALBION just because I hate loose ends... arrgh...

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 12:16:10 PM PDT
portercat says:
Sunshine is the best "vampire genre" book ever. Robin says she won't write a sequel. So what? You still
get to read the best vampire genre book ever! As many times as you like!

MUCH better to have an excellent novel than a so-so genre series, IMO.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 5:47:45 PM PDT
J. Woosley says:
The tastes have changed and vampires are very much in the fore front of supernatural and urban fantasy novels at the moment. If Sushine has been written as a series it would do very well now on par with Jim Butcher's Dresden Files or Kim Harrison's books.

Posted on Jul 22, 2010 12:36:27 PM PDT
I can't believe there will be no sequel to Sunshine! The ending absolutely cries out for one- so I hope Robin's muse comes throuugh asap. I'm going to read Albion - although it sounds as though even if Sunshine is in it under another name it won't be completely satisfying. Maybe we should start a Facebook rally (like the one to get Betty White on SNL!)- and see if that would inspire her!

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 10:13:47 PM PST
It looks like she never even finished it. There is no listings on Amazon of such Albion. I loved Sunshine, but the fact that she never made a sequel and didn't finish this Albion project makes me not want to ever read any of her other books.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011 2:50:50 PM PST
McKinley is not a prolific author. She won't do a standard urban fantasy series with yearly book releases. Nor will she do traditional sword & sorcery trilogies. It's never been her way.

However, I think she's one of the best authors in this genre. I would never deny myself her books out of ire. Although I certainly understand the ire. When I closed that book I went, "there's going to be a sequel." A couple years later I went to the website, found that in the FAQ, and was bitterly disappointed. Nevertheless I hold out HOPE for a sequel, but I have put the EXPECTATION firmly out of my mind.

Posted on May 16, 2011 2:22:50 PM PDT
"SUNSHINE" sequel? If HBO does a series on this incredible story, there will be a sequel! Whenever I get bored with this genre, I go back and reread SUNSHINE and am amazed all over again. Maybe a HBO series is too much to ask, still.....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Sunshine forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jul 12, 2006
Latest post:  May 16, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Sunshine
Sunshine by Robin McKinley (Paperback - April 29, 2010)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (527)