5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, cool romantic comedy that delights at every turn
Published on October 19, 2005 by Nicholas Carroll

3.0 out of 5 stars Signs of love
Sometimes, destiny creates accidents. We called them signs. Other times, those signs can bring us true love.

Such an ultra romantic idea is the base of the film Serendipity, a tender fable that pays homage to New York as the city of romance and puts destiny in Cupid's role.

John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale are Johnathan and Sara, two strangers that...
Published on June 29, 2005 by milss

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky, cool romantic comedy that delights at every turn, October 19, 2005
Nicholas Carroll (Portland OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
I watched this film again after seeing it in theaters several years ago, and I had forgotten how cool it was. I remember overhearing a lady in the row in front of me groaning and complaining at every seemingly contrived moment of serendipity that befalls the "soul mates" played wonderfully by John Cusack and the gorgeous Kate Beckinsale, whom I could stare at forever as well as listen to her speak without ever growing tired of it. Anyhow, I guess I understood the lady's skepticism...this movie does appear to be so outlandishly contrived that it strains credibility. Yet, what appealed to me about this movie is that I had similar moments of serendipity/coincidences with a girl I dated in 2000. Seeing this film brings back my own memories...so trust me when I say that the things in this movie can happen to people. I'm one of those people.

Romantic comedies have the poor habit of following the standard, boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy and girl reconcile, and all is happily ever after. This doesn't wander too far from that formula, but its so downright clever, watchable, and enjoyable that you can't help but fall in love with the story and characters. Romantic comedies also tend to feature interesting selections of music, and this one is no different. I actually enjoyed the song selections in this film and not one of them was familiar to me (using oldies that have appeared in countless other films). I especially got a kick out of Lars, the Yanni-esque boyfriend of Sara (Beckinsale). His new age music is poked fun at by Sara and her sidekick friend (played to comedic effect by an SNL-alum), but I actually thought that was cool about him. Eugene Levy also has a couple scene-stealing moments with his usual brand of comedic seriousness and Jeremy Piven plays the sidekick role he often plays in films.

This film throws every obstacle to keep the two apart and its an amusing development to watch. Overall though, you know the two are destined to be together and its just as well. So, for all the skeptics out there who find this film outlandishly contrived, please suspend your disbelief and realize that such romantic possibilities and coincidences are possible. I experienced it myself a few years ago, so that's why I find this film to be quite credible, not to mention funny and entertaining in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chance or destiny?, May 17, 2003
D. Roberts "Hadrian12" (Battle Creek, Michigan United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
Do you believe in love? Fate? That everything happens for a reason? Astrology? Premonitions? Near misses of should-of-beens? Well, neither do I. However, this film is full of ALL of these things and come to find out the story is delightful!
John Cusack is a way-cool actor. He always plays the type of guy you want to root for to prevail in some off-the-wall struggle. Kate Beckinsale is nothing short of gorgeous and her British accent is a charming ingredient of this comical look at a love-story-gone-awry.
Cuscack & Beckinsale play a couple of New Yorkers who "accidently" meet up one night. Turns out, they REALLY hit it off. Due to a sequence of unlikely events, they are separated and go their separate ways.
A few years later both are supposed to be married - almost on the same day. Only problem is (you guessed it) by now they're supposed to marry different people. At the eleventh hour both start having second thoughts and begin having reveries about their one enchanting evening together.
The balance of the story traces their attempts to get back in touch with each other while their friends believe they've gone looney. The result is what is quite possibly the funnest & sweetest Romantic Comedy since WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING.
If you have a date tonight, I would SERIOUSLY recommend this film. If you don't have a date tonight, find one & then watch it together. As a last resort, watch it by yourself. Remember: everything happens for a reason! OK, OK, maybe it doesn't - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't buy this DVD!

4.0 out of 5 stars Serendipity, April 1, 2008
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
I am not sure how much I believe in serendipity - good fortune discovered by accident also known as fate, but this movie could make a believer out of me. John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale are wonderful together as soul mates that overcome every obstacle to be together! They are successful because it was meant to be. If you can't suspend reality, and just go with the flow, then this movie probably isn't for you. It is meant for those that can have faith.

5.0 out of 5 stars none better, November 13, 2011
This review is from: Serendipity [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
In my opinion John Cusak's best movie.
He & Kate Beckinsale are magic together.
The storyline is fantastic, the music
alluring, and the acting first class.
I have watched it at least 20 times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Destiny Calls!, October 28, 2005
L Gontzes (Athens, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
An outstanding romantic comedy, Serendipity, brings to the screen the love story of two young people; an American man and a British woman who meet in NY by chance only to keep on bumping into each other before they make it work out.
It is a film about human relations, hope and second chances, but most importantly about trust, love, and inner strength.
John Cusack, Kate Beckinsale and the rest of the cast, have truly outdone themselves with their performances, which are exceptional to say the least! All the actors, without exceptions, give it their 100% and it really shows (the chemistry is AMAZING)! Very well written and very well presented, the movie is without a doubt guaranteed to provide more than just a few laughs, not to mention a few tears. The film is simple enough, but does a great job of describing people's every day lives and the problems they face. It just goes to show that simplicity is often far better than complexity, when trying to present issues of a human nature.
The setting, the plot, the dialogues, the humor, and the music are all wonderful!
In short, Serendipity is a movie definitely worth watching and one to seriously consider adding to your movie collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars "They should make a pill for this!", December 26, 2010
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
What if you carelessly lost the paper that contained on it the phone number of your future spouse? What if you and your 'soul mate' decided to test the waters in the most horrid ways, leaving your soul-status completely to chance, just to see if you 'fit' well? ....

SERENDIPITY (2001) is a film I missed when it was new - like I missed so many of the excellent films from 2000 and 2001. If I may be short since this is a few years old: John (John Cusack) meets Sara (Kate Beckinsale) and spends a bit of time with her. It's clearly something-at-first-sight, but the two decide to play a game with fate. The consequences are they don't get to see each other again for years, yet are constantly haunted by their decisions.

I'm guessing around five years later or so ... John decides, at almost the same time as Sara does, that he is going to go searching again. The temptations of fate are still out there, and both parties are being haunted and taunted by them. John hears and sees Sara's name everywhere; Sara gets her own little clues from the universe. Sara goes her own quiet way, hoping she'll simply spot John again.

John's boyhood friend Dean (a very sexy Jeremy Piven) assists John in the very rigid and frantic search of a lifetime. After some moments of sheer insanity, the star-crossed potential lovers finally find each other, thus ruining the respective relationships they are each presently occupying, are finally joined, THE END.

Now for the good part: this film is one of the comedy gems of the century. The lines are snappy and fresh; all the performers are in top form including Cusack (which is not unusual but somehow he's more spontaneous here). Beckinsale is a pleasure, though her character comes off as weak.

The film is mistitled. "Serendipity" may be a "happy accident" or "fortuitous chance". What happens in this film is the silly notion Jung invented and named "synchronicity": a steady stream of 'significant occurrences" that are 100% beyond coincidence. In this hilarious, sleeper jewel of a film, you'll see all that dissected in the funniest possible ways. If you blink, you'll miss a clue or "synchronous" moment. If you don't listen, you'll miss some of the funniest dialogue ever devised.

Interestingly enough, Serendip used to be the name of Sri Lanka (centuries before it was called Ceylon). The word "serendipity" was coined in 1754 by Horace Walpole, based on an old fairytale called "The Three Princes of Serendip".

These princes, according to the story, "were always making discoveries, by accidents and sagacity, of things they were not in quest of." Thus the 18th century Oxford Dictionary defining "serendipity" as "The faculty of making happy and unexpected discoveries by accident."

So SERENDIPITY actually lives up to its name, because the 'happy accident' is the spine of this film. It seems to me that it was unnecessarily burdened with metaphysical musings about the reasoning for serendipity - something that did not trouble the sages of the past.

SERENDIPITY is a morality tale: though it seems to say "don't tempt fate", what it is really teaching us is not to get too playful or irreverent toward life - not to seek what philosophers of the past ignored, for good reason. Life is hard work, love is even harder, and sometimes death seems preferable to all of it. So WORK at it, don't treat it as a joke. Even Buddha warned that anyone trying to dissect his own karma "would surely go mad".

Do not miss the side-splitting cameo by Eugene Levy, who seems to be the personification of some kind of obnoxious Zen teacher. One final sad note: the ending is all too predictable and sort of peters out, fade-to-black. I was expecting explosions, something better, something to rise to the philosophical challenges this film presents.

Yet in this great comedy of errors, there is a vital lesson, bigger than any other. It explodes Jung's ridiculous synchronicity idea and it is simple: if you are lazy and childish, you will leave things to chance, to serendipity (even if you do not possess the "faculty") and to 'fate'. 'Letting fate decide' is a great way of abrogating responsibility. Hard work, the 'captaincy of your destiny', more hard work, effort, your entire being, must be poured into life.

Whether it be a thing we do not want, or a thing we do want, we must work. There is no 'fate', and chance - luck, fortune, whatever term works for you - is not a deciding machine. We must each decide everything every day. If we surrender that, we surrender who we are and who we are meant to become.

But then, "Maybe a lack of signs IS a sign!"

5.0 out of 5 stars serendipity done good, November 6, 2011
This review is from: Serendipity [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This is a fantastic movie! Everytime it comes on both my husband and I watch it. I like John Cusack and he likes Kate Beckinsale. But both actor & actress in this movie work great together. It funny, romatic clean and fun. I would recommend this to anyone to watch over and over again...

3.0 out of 5 stars Signs of love, June 29, 2005
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)

John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale are Johnathan and Sara, two strangers that meet in Bloomingdale's, in the midst of Christmas shopping. They like each other instantly and, after spending the night together, Sara is convinced that, if she and Jonathan are meant for each other, destiny will find a way to unite them again.

The years go by and the couple goes separate ways. Just about to get married with different people, the signs appear again and both John and Sara keep thinking about the other one and the fact that they could be soul mates.

A charming premise, although completely unrealistic, Serendipity takes us for a road full of incidents, magical coincidences, races against time and a complete faith in the triumph of love.

Cleverly written, well acted and displaying beautiful NY sights, this is a very bubbly and sweet movie. For happy endings fans, it will be an obligation to see it. For the rest of us cynics, it will be a waste of time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a chick flick, January 12, 2005
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, Gladiator, The Last Samurai,Black Hawk Down and Glory rank as my all time favorites so you can guage where I am coming from. All these titles I own and proudly display. Behind them I keep a stack of chick flicks that no one knows I have, Serendipity is one of them.

When my girlfriend asked me why I purchased it I told her the truth, I have a crush on Kate Beckinsale, and like John Cusack. Later, after viewing the movie I can say it is one of the better of the genre.

Many may disagree. And I don't need to address the plot, as it has already been covered. More fantasy than reality. More fluff than angst. But it does have the fate-magic-destiny thing down to perfection. I rate it with Sleepless in Seattle as the best of its type.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Did He Have Passion?" ~ Everyman's Eulogy, August 7, 2006
This review is from: Serendipity (DVD)
Don't try to make sense of it, don't try and analyze it, when you meet your soul-mate all rationality and common sense becomes inoperative. Suspend all previous assumptions if you dare. Your only recourse is to go wherever your passion leads you, even if it's on a coast to coast search for the one your meant to be with the day before your wedding. That's the message of the delightful romantic comedy 'Serendipity' released in '01.

Jonathan (John Cusack) and Sara (Kate Beckinsale) happen to meet one Christmas Eve while shopping for a last minute gift for there perspective mate. A casual conversation leads to a skate on the ice at Rockefeller Center and an ice cream sundae afterwards at a posh little dessert shop called Serendipity. They are attracted to each other but committed to another so there's really no place to go with this relationship unless serendipity, or fate steps in.

Sara's name and phone number are written on the first page of a book while Jonthan's information is written on the back of a five dollar bill. The two items are sent out into the cosmos of New York City. If Jonathan can find the book, or Sara the five dollar bill then maybe, just maybe they're meant to meet again. What do you think will happen?

'Serendipity' is a wonderful "feel good" movie that can be enjoyed over and over again. John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale (sigh) are fantastic together and the supporting cast is magnificent. Jeremy Piven is hillarious as Dean, Jonathan's best friend and best man and Molly Shannon as Sara's closest friend Eve. Throw into the mix a madcap Bloomingdale's salesman played by Eugene Levy and you're set to go!

Serendipity [Blu-ray]
Serendipity [Blu-ray] by Peter Chelsom (Blu-ray - 2012)
$9.99 $6.69