Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Serenity Leaves on the Wind #1
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon February 3, 2014
In the latest addition to the “Firefly” and “Serenity” universe, Zack Whedon has taken up his brother Joss’ characters and creations to craft an excellent comic in the first issue of “Leaves on the Wind.” It’s fun to see favorite characters--and their enemies--more than a half-year after the “Serenity” film. The art team led by Georges Jeanty does a great job of capturing the distinct look of the setting. Be warned. Readers not familiar with the story will be lost and there is little in the way of action here. Still, fans of the show, movie and other comics will adore this addition and enjoy what’s happened to Mal Reynolds and his crew since last we saw them. Highest recommendation to fans but it’s really not a good jumping on point for newcomers.
on August 16, 2014
I'm a huge Firefly fan, and while I would recommend this for any browncoat to read to see the continuing story of our beloved characters/universe, just to see where the story might have eventually taken us had the show not been canceled. However, there are some major problems I have with the story that I can't give it higher than a 3 star rating.

The issues I have with the story: (Spoiler alert#

1) In Firefly we find out that Inara is going to leave Serenity. In "Those left behind", we see that happen. In Serenity we see Inara is gone, but comes back, possibly to stay? That's the open ended story thus far. But at the beginning of Leaves on the Wind, Mal and Inara are suddenly together. If there's is anything in Firefly that I most want to see.. is the moment where Mal and Inara finally express their true feelings for each other and come together. We didn't get to see that in Serenity, and we don't get to see it here, it's already happened and it's just thrown at us. Maybe I'm biased on the topic of Mal and Inara, but this is unacceptable. There was nothing in this new story arc that required Mal and Inara to be together. Had they not been shown in this manor, it would not have changed the story at all. I would rather had them just shown some near misses of them getting together, only to be thwarted by stubbornness, than to have them have come together "off screen". The story would have been served better to keep them apart and leave us waiting for that story, than to show them together without showing us how it happened.

2# I more or less have to take this story as what "might have come" had the series not been canceled. However, even if we would have arrived at this same place over several seasons of the TV show, we would have seen all the moment in-between. All the beautiful character moments that we all love so much. Each character's journey to get from here to there. All the moments of just sitting around the dinner table laughing, or arguing about when are they going to have another job to do. Unfortunately, there's no time for any of that here. The story is big, adventurous, and action packed. Nothing wrong with those things... but that's not what made Firefly great. Here.. we see the return of Jubal Early AND the Operative. Before I finished the 6th issue, I wouldn't have been surprised if YoSaffBridge, Niska, Badger, and 10 other characters had made a re-appearance. Take all the action from each TV episode and cut it into one long double episode, and that's more like what this story felt like. While the characters sort of speak the language... there is none of the dialog we expect from Firefly. Every episode of the TV series left us with several dozen #or more# incredible lines of dialog. If your hoping to hear more "You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go and get to beat you with till you know who is in ruttin command around here", you will find very little of it in this story. Actually I can't remember any lines of dialog from all six issues of Leaves on the Wind that stuck with me.

3) Not to take away from the effort that was put forth to create this comic, but this, and the other Serenity comics, just goes to show that we truly lost something forever when Firefly was canceled. It's bigger than Joss, or Tim Minear, or the actors on the screen. EVERYONE involved in Firefly, from all the writers, to all the directors, to the composers, to the actors to every single person who touched it. It took them ALL to create nothing short of MAGIC. And unfortunately, it's magic that is apparently unable to be captured in any other way.

Firefly is gone.. and while I will always read any "official" canon of their continuing adventure, nothing thus far has captured the pure magic that was the show. The TV show will forever be one of my "happy places" that I go to when I feel the sky is being taken from me. This and any other comics I will simply read out of curiosity.
on February 9, 2014
I agree that this is not a great starting place for those who are not familiar with the characters, but for those who have seen the movie or Firefly, this serves as a continuation of the story. Some of the references and tangent arcs sewn into the new story will resonate with current audiences as touching upon the current way politics and media spin and counter spin events. I think the current arc will be to show what happens to Big Damn Heroes after they have managed their thrilling heroics.

I for one am looking forward to what the next 5 issues will bring, and I'm ready to order the hard-bound version once that comes out.
on March 7, 2014
I am a HUGE firefly/serenity fan and i love this universe and the people in it. I don't care whether their story is being told via big screen, tv, radio, or print, i am just thrilled to see it being continued on, period. These characters deserve it. And for that, this gets all the stars in the world.

Having said that, onto more technical things about this comic specifically:

1.) I wish the rest of the art was half as good as the cover art. Maybe the characters are drawn intentionally NOT to look like the actors who portrayed them but why would they do that? there is a passing (heavy on the passing) resemblance but continuity of art is so lax here that some characters look different in almost every panel. why does simon tam look like neil patrick harris? inara looks pretty good in c.u.'s but the rest of the time, she could be anybody (especially with her change in attire - why does she look like she's preparing to play football?). kaylee looks all sorts of wrong. body proportions are all over the place. I am super disappointed in the art for this caliber of publication. just let dan dos santos do the whole thing. ugh.

2.) the coloring is amazing. it sets the mood wonderfully and does more to illuminate the characters than the actual drawing of the characters. The paneling is creative and does well to tell the story at a good pace.

3.) Uh, what just happened with Mal and Inara? In a way, I can understand the suddenness of it because of all they went through together. It sorta makes sense. But for someone who 'shipped them hardcore (I know I am not the only one), it would have been great to get some kind (any kind) of lead up to it. I am not unhappy that it happened...on the contrary...but for all their tension which rivaled mulder and scully's, it seemed to come to that a bit (a lot) abruptly. seemed more like a cop out or a throw away. However, I understand they have a limited about of time and space to tell everyone's major story so I understand that this little side thing would only get so much attention. I hope they get to address Inara's story about why she left Sihnon regarding her health. Seems a shame to waste that plotline.

4.) I was excited about the thickness of the comic book but sad to find that the last 1/3 of it is not actual content for this series.

ANYHOOOOOOO, aside from the above, this is a must have for Firefly/Serenity fans. The most important thing is that we know more about our favorite characters. Unfortunately, as stated by others, this is not the medium to start with if you're jumping into this universe. Watch the tv series first, then the movie preferably, then the other comic book series if you want ("Those Left Behind) and then tackle this series. Definitely worth it.
on March 8, 2014
A real nice start to the continuation of the Serenity story line. I am not a comic reader, actually this is the first one i have every bought. The artwork was great and really look like the movie and tv show characters
on February 25, 2014
It picks up about 9 months after the movie left off. If you love Firefly as a story then you will love this continuation by Joss and his brother with artwork from a reputable comic. I did read it but actually bought it for a friend and he loved it.
on February 13, 2014
No spoilers here.

It was fine as far as it went, but a good 3rd of the book wasn't even Serenity, it was ads for other Dark Horse stuff and backdated letters to Dark Horse about things that had little to do with Firefly or Serenity.

I wanted a LOT more character development and time to catch up with beloved faces we barely even saw. The Serenity comics sometimes jump too far or stretch logic. If this is to save space, that's backfiring, since this book has a couple of redundancies that could have been conveyed with more economy. You'll figure out what they are on reading.

On the positive side, some of the frames are truly beautiful. The Serenity crew's general situation is set up clearly, as are their antagonists and possible aid. There's a little steam. So that's something.

Overall it was a good start, and I hope it sells a bazillion copies, but I'm sad to say I wasn't utterly thrilled.

You can't please everyone, but start with telling the story.
on March 2, 2014
I'm a big Firefly/Serenity fan and while I'm not big on comic books, I'm really happy they are continuing this story. Personally I think it's a story worth telling and any fan of the series will be delighted to own this. A true addition to the collection. The cover art is pretty great, but the actual comic isn't as detailed or refined. I do applaud the artist for the likeness of the characters and the amazing colour palette used. The story has many point of views and it's easy to differentiate by the colours of the scenes. I will definitely be buying the rest of the series.
on March 15, 2014
Love the story glad it lives on other than in Jos's mind! Thank you for sharing your story with us.
on February 7, 2014
The print price of the comic is $3.50. Buy it at a local comic book store and you will end up saving at least another comic book in price.