Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on April 2, 2015
I just bought a Quantum Mechanix 1:400 scale firefly. It's an OK model, but it arrived missing a small piece ( the small pipe at the 3 o'clock position, see photo below ) right out of the sealed box. I wrote to QMx's customer support asking if they could provide a replacement for the missing small piece but they would do nothing to correct this situation.
review image
on May 1, 2012
Sounds like some may have had shipping issues, which I'm hoping are addressed by the folks providing this fine little model.

Thing is, they're probably packing and shipping the Serenity model as if it's a children's toy.

This is no toy. Do not let kids play with it. It has pieces both separate (shuttles) and which could be broken off (buffer panels, pipes, and whatnot.)

Heck, you don't want to be putting it anywhere a house-cat can get at it and knock it over. Some of the features are super tiny and I've no doubt a hard knock would break them off pretty easily. Don't dust with a Swiffer or cloth either -- use compressed air.

The regular box in which the model is packed is sturdy enough, and there's plenty of styrofoam to protect it... but this won't be enough if the box is then thrown into another larger shipping box with no packing material around it and it's not treated by UPS or FedEx as FRAGILE.

Anyway, the model itself is beautifully rendered, the paint job very accurate (even the underside, where some manufacturers might be tempted to skimp), and it even includes two separate tiny shuttles, one with wings closed, the other with wings opened, and a small wire frame on which a shuttle can be perched to look like it's just taking off. The base is very sturdy, and unlike some other models I've collected over the years, the Serenity sits very securely on it, with no wobble or unwanted tilting in the wrong direction.

Conclusion: A genuine beautiful collectible... provided you can get delivered safe & sound. I count myself lucky. BTW, this review doesn't list me as a 'verified purchaser' because I got mine directly via the Redford Films website. One advantage of buying through Amazon is if you do get one that's broken, Amazon's always great about making it right.
33 comments|27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 2012
My Serenity arrived in perfect condition and, to me, is worth the price. The only thing I would change about it is including another shuttle to place in the second empty dock, since the flight-mode shuttle doesn't fit due to the wings being extended. Personally, I would love to see Qmx make a Reaver-version of this ship as well.
on June 10, 2012
For this many credits, this is no toy. Perhaps I was lucky, my Serentity arrived in perfect condition, not having been flown over the fence by Wash, perhaps. Mal did find it in a used ship yard, so maybe others have just been receiving more authentic, fixer upper models. The shuttles *are* tiny and get lost anytime a fellow browncoat wants to pick it up and fly the firefly around. I've put it on the highest shelf in my tallest bookcase, and I recommend you do the same.
on September 21, 2013
Finally got mine! Only issue I have is that they should have glued in the shuttle with the folded wings. There's really no reason for it to be loose. Definately just for display, though. Not for kids to play with. Too fragile for that. I wish someone would make a Firefly toy spacecraft to play with! I'd buy it! I'm still a kid at heart!
on July 23, 2014
It's great but fragile. I was very excited (too excited) to get this item - however when I grabbed it out of the box I broke a few of the silver reentry shields (the ones that fly off in the movie). I am sure I can fix it easily enough. Great detail and very fun + plus the size is just right. Be careful when you handle this.
on March 15, 2013
This model of Serenity is simply beautiful. Not nearly as green as in the amazon picture but very close to what it looks like in the series. Marvelous detail, stunning even. This thing is fragile though as far as the little bits & pieces like the solar panels, they will break off easy (I broke one off just holding it the first time. No big deal though as it is easy to fix with a little super glue just like the other reviews say. I wouldn't fault this at all for being fragile, just need to be careful handling it. It will look bitchin sitting on any shelf at home or at work. So worth the price and I'm very glad I purchased this. Just wish I could afford the Big Damn Replica that QMx makes, this little one is a nice piece though.
on August 26, 2013
Great to deal with but the package could have been better packed as it was a very fragile model. Due to the poor packing I ended up having to repair out of the box. All things considered ie. price, shipping time and distance. These things happen. Great item and good find.
on April 16, 2013
Love this little ship! I have the Universal Serenity ornament (both versions, actually) and have loved it for years... but this replica blows the ornament away! Displaying it with the shuttles can be a little tricky, but not too bad... definitely not a toy. If you love the Standard radian accelerator core, class code 03-K64 Firefly Transport, you'll love this.
on July 27, 2015
What can I say? It's the Serenity! Great detail considering the size. And QMX always produces a great product. It's great because they're fans, so it's a labor of love for them too.

Mine had a very nice paint job, and it looks awesome on my shelf. If you're a fan, don't have a ton of room to display stuff, and can't afford the larger models, this is a fantastic option.