5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Image, portable, many feature PLUS motion sensor!
Published on October 9, 2010 by R. Notarangelo

3.0 out of 5 stars Major annoyances
Overall, the NIX 8" Hu-Motion is a good product, but there are some things about it which could be improved to make it better.

FIRST, THE GOOD.

Published on December 19, 2010 by PT

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior Image, portable, many feature PLUS motion sensor!, October 9, 2010
This review is from: NIX Pro Series 8" Digital Frame with Motion Detection Sensor and Rechargeable Battery (Electronics)
I was hopeful that this digital picture frame would do everything that I needed it to do and it does, and more! I wanted a portable device that I could put on my coffee table that could run on rechargeable battery power, and it does. Plus I wanted a display that could display high resolution pictures and it does. The internal hard drive automatically lowers the resolution of images if you try to upload from a smart-card or USB or any other types of memory devices which allows the unit to store even more images. But, if you would rather have the full resolution of the high pixel images than more space, you can bypass the units automatically downsizing the resolution by connecting it directly to your mac or PC and uploading from there. That way, the images are exactly as they were on your computer hard drive. The motion sensor works great by turning the unit off automatically at the desired time length that you set and then turns back on once any movement is detected in front of it. However, when it starts back up, it starts the slideshow from the beginning/first picture again no matter where it was in the slideshow when it went to "sleep". I just keep my slideshow settings on random so the show is always different except for the first picture which is always the starting point...I simply just made it my favorite picture!
It also has a neat calendar/clock feature that will display a few pictures alongside the clock and calendar display - the images also change. All in all, the unit is great. It can last up to 4 hours on a single charge or you can have it directly plugged into the electrical socket. It also plays videos that I shot with my digital camera (after I converted them to mpeg4 on my computer). It has a great internal file system, so you can set up different folders and only display pictures from certain folders if you wanted to. It can play music (MP3) that you upload to it and you can choose what music to play during the slideshow. The included remote control has all the functions that you need. The glossy black piano finish does show fingerprints but can easily by wiped cleaned.

Overall, this unit is the best digital picture frame I have seen and it is at a great price here on Amazon. I've had other frames that couldn't come close to the resolution, the features and ease of operation that this frame has.
I highly recommend it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Major annoyances, December 19, 2010

FIRST, THE GOOD.

The idea motion sensor is great. It's exactly what all digital frames should have to conserve power, since there's no point in having the frame on when no one is around to look at it. The options for how the motion sensor works are very detailed, giving you the option to have it stay on for anywhere from 1 second to 24 hours after it senses movement. The internal timer resets after it detects movement again.

The display is fairly crisp with brightness control. An image with an aspect ratio of 4:3 (most standard compact digital cameras) will fill the display completely. Any other aspect ratio will be scaled to fit the frame while maintaining it's aspect ratio. That is, you'll either see black bars on the tops or the sides, but the image will not be distorted. Files will be rotated appropriately depending on orientation of the frame due to the built-in accelerometer. Slide show time can be set to change the image at varying intervals from every 5 seconds to 1 day. Transition effects and random shuffling are possible. The frame is also capable of playing video with audio and MP3 files as background music. I can't comment on the quality of either since I didn't buy the frame for this use.

The physical look of the frame is very modern. This is a personal preference, but I like this much better than the faux wood of a lot of other frames out there. The control buttons are flush with the front frame and take on the lightest touch to use. They glow blue when the frame turns on and dim when inactive.

The frame 1.89 GB of useable internal storage space. When connected to a PC, it is recognized as an external drive, making transferring files very easy. It also accepts a USB thumb drive or SD/MMC/Memory Stick cards. You can only access one mode of storage at a time.

There is a removable, proprietary rechargeable battery which gives you a few hours of display time without having to be plugged in. Doesn't help from everyday use, but would be great for moving the frame around during parties.

NOW, THE BAD.

For all of it's bells and whistles, the frame is frustratingly annoying most of the time. The motion sensor is supposed to work within a range of 2.5 meters, but is very temperamental. This is a huge flaw since it's supposed to be the selling point of the frame. It is very unreliable and doesn't always turn on when it should, even with clear motion (hand waving at 6 inches) right in front of the sensor.

Another huge flaw is that the slide show starts on the exact same photo every time the frame turns on. You better choose your favorite photo as the first one on the list since it's the one you'll always see. On that note, the frame doesn't give you an easy way to order of the photos you put on it. Even after numbering photos on my hard drive and then transferring them over, the frame puts them in a random order. It would be nice to be able to choose to order the files alphanumerically or by EXIF data (such as original date and time), or at the very least just designate which files is the start-up image.

The controls are clumsy and the built-in menus are more difficult to navigate than they should be with the buttons. Putting the controls on the reverse could have left the front clean and symmetric. Thankfully, once you have the frame set up, you don't need to access the settings too often, but it really is a huge annoyance at first.

CONCLUSION

It's frustrating that the biggest problems with the frame are due to software issues which could easily be fixed with a firmware update. Still, not a bad set of features for the price. A few tweaks would have made it nearly perfect. I was really thinking about buying one of the larger Hu-Motion frames, but after dealing with this one for a while, I think I'll hold off for now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Currently the best at a great price point, March 26, 2011
No other digital picture frame has the same features. Take into account the following: High res in a more appropriate 4:3 aspect ratio, programmable on/off times, front facing illuminated touch control, 2GB internal memory, rechargeable lithium ion battery, speakers, auto-rotate, remote control and finally motion sensing. Are you kidding me? No one else offers all of this in one frame for this price. If you're convinced just stop reading and hit "add-to-cart" now, otherwise read on.

High res at 4:3 aspect ratio is always more appropriate vs. widescreen because most if not all camera's take pictures at a 4:3 aspect ratio. To use a widescreen frame means your photo will be stretched to fit or will have black bars along the edges to fill in the screen. If you like the classic 4 x 6 picture then stay away from widescreen.

Programmable On/Off is just awesome and self explanatory (I hope).

Front facing controls are so important. It can be so frustrating finding the right buttons to push on the back of the device to see if you get the desired effect on the front of the device. But these controls are also illuminated and touch sensitive. So when the light dims the buttons almost disappear and do not distract from the pictures. Perfect.

2GB internal memory is awesome. I use a USB cord from my pc to this digital frame, transfer my pictures to the frame and then disconnect. There is really no need for any other memory cards or USB drives and transferring files from pc to frame with a USB cord keeps the pictures original without any re-sizing which in my opinion might make more space but degrade picture quality. This is just my opinion though.

Rechargeable lithium ion battery is very useful for show and tell. Just disconnect the power cord and take the frame with you anywhere to show off pictures for a couple of hours worry free. Pretty easy. Then just plug it back in when you're done.

Speakers? Yup it comes with sound. In addition to showing off your pictures this thing will also play mp3 music files and avi video files. So you can listen to whatever music you install as background music for your photos. You can even just use this frame to watch videos, movies and listen to music but other devices would probably be more appropriate. This picture frame is just trying too hard now but hey its a sweet extra.

Okay finally what I consider to be the best feature is the motion sensor. I was not able to find any other frame that has it. To put it simply, it's awesome. Imagine the pictures only being shown when there is an audience. It just makes sense right. There is no need to show off pictures when no on is around. This cool and effective feature saves you energy and probably screen life too.

That's it. I give this 4 stars because a 5 star one does not exist. Nothing is perfect. My only complaint about this frame is that it's not free but even then it's a great price for the best frame, I would argue. You pay a lot more for other 7" to 8" screens that offer way less. Now go pony up the cash like I did. I know you never heard of NIX but trust me it's the best and brand names are really becoming less important since everything is really made by a few large companies (mostly in China) and then re branded. Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful frame with clear, crisp images!, December 12, 2010
After searching all over the internet for the perfect photo frame for a Christmas present - this one hit the nail on the head. There are several pro's to this product and only a few con's that should overall be overlooked in the decision to purchase:

Pro's:
- Easy to set up: All you simply need to do is plug in the frame to an outlet, turn it on, and you're ready to rock and roll.
- Internal memory: I don't think a lot of frames offer this option, but this one allows you to transfer images straight from your computer (a Mac in my case). The internal memory allowed me to store hundreds of pictures, which start in an automatic slideshow once the frame is turned on.
- Does not need to be plugged in to be viewed: This comes with a rechargeable battery so that you don't need to plug it in to view (but you can if you want it to be on longer). Lasts about 3 hours before it needs to be recharged.
- Beautiful, crisp images!

Con's:
- Like the last reviewer said - if you try and skip over the pictures too quickly in the slideshow, sometimes there is a green/distorted image of the next. But not a big deal if you don't need to be skipping around.
- The photos sometimes 'shake' for a second but then it's over. E-mailed NIX and am trying to figure out if there is a resolution.

Anyway, don't be wary if you've never heard of NIX - I hadn't either, but the product is definitely fantastic and I do not regret my decision!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 11, 2010
I love the look of the frame, and it was perfect for what I needed-- a photo frame compatible with Macs that had enough internal storage for a few hundred photos. I shopped around a lot, and this frame was the best priced for what all you get. I've only played around with it a little bit, but I love it so far!

The only reason for the 4 stars: Sometimes, when viewing the photos in a slideshow, if you try to skip over one, you'll get a green, distorted/scrambled version of your next photo. Otherwise a great product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Upscale photo frame with both major selling points flawed, January 2, 2012
Strohmian (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
FEATURES
This is a photo frame that compares favorably to most others: it has touch controls that light up on the side of the screen, it has 2GB internal memory and a battery, it plays video with stereo sound, it senses orientation like a smartphone, and it even comes with a small remote. Pretty sweet for an unsubsidized picture frame at this price!

It also has a motion sensor and a SD card slot, but more on these below.

IN USE
The touch controls on the side are an improvement to the unusable back buttons on lesser photo frames, but in this age of tablets, they're still not 100% intuitive. It's much easier using the remote to control the device: there is an extra button for "slideshow" (so no need to navigate the menu) and cursor keys. I found the picture quality beyond reproach, certainly it's not high- end IPS such as the newest tablets, but it is quite good.

FLAWS
I purchased this frame because of two major selling points that it has over cheap tablets: the SD card slot and the motion sensor. The card slot, so I thought, would be great to view pictures from a digital camera without the need of a PC, and the motion sensor would show photos only if people are present. Unfortunately, both of these features were botched; here's how:

1) The card slot is of such low quality that I had trouble getting a card in. Every Walmart camera has a spring-loaded card slot now, but here I don't even see which way it goes in and it takes uncomfortable force to insert one. That's a problem, as I've damaged multiple SD cards just by rather gently moving them from camera to card reader. The slot on my unit also appears slightly crooked - perhaps it's a QA problem and you'll be luckier.

2) The motion sensor technically works, but I bet none of the engineers tried it at home. It functions as follows: when a presence is detected, the frame turns on and remains active for a specified amount of time, then turns off again. That's a superb idea; not that it saves a lot of energy, but it somehow feels right to not leave things running when no one is around. But the problem is this: when the frame gets activated by motion, it basically has to boot up. First, it flashes the blue touch buttons, then after a few seconds, it shows the NIX logo, and then it starts with the very first picture. This of course is completely useless. If you mount the frame in place where people walk by occasionally, all they'll ever see is a full screen "NIX" and possibly the first of your pictures.

CONCLUSION
As it is, I think this is an "ok" frame, but I do expect it to be fixed with a firmware update, such that the unit comes on quicker after sensing motion, does not display the company logo, and just continues with the active slideshow. If that happens, I'll consider it a 4- star gadget. For now, it's "ok", meaning three stars.

PRICING THOUGHTS
I know, reviews should not include price, but there are some funky things going on right now. After submitting my review, this frame was listed at almost twice the MSRP, which is one-twenty-nine. Don't buy above that! Also, there is a version at almost half the price, but it has no internal battery or memory.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the tech naive., December 29, 2011
I am a gadget freak and a former computer engineer. The Nix is not for tech naive folks. I bought this frame for my mother in law for christmas. In preparation, I took my entire photo library and used IrfanView to quickly convert all my high resolution dSLR photos on my computer to 800x600 resolution. Much to my pleasure, many many gigs of photos were compressed into several hundreds of megs and easily fit into the Nix internal memory (so I didn't even need to buy an external memory card).

I transferred them into the Nix in about half an hour and was disappointed in a few things:
(1) When it turns on you see the Nix splash screen first, and then an opening photo; so there was a "wake up" time.
(2) The opening photo was invariably the same each time.
(3) I had absolutely no choice in which photo that was.

I tried to pick a photo I wanted first and renamed it to try to get it to the front (i.e. putting an "a" or a "0" in front of the file name). This did not fix it. I completely deleted the pictures, went to Irfanview, renamed all my photos into numbers, i.e. "000001.jpg", "000006.jpg", "000011.jpg" etc.. and made sure that the one I wanted to appear first was copied onto the device first. The opening photo did change, but it was seemingly random which one was there. But that picture was okay so I left it alone.

My mother in law wanted to see the pictures by theme (i.e. in their original folder). It is not acceptable to ask my mother in law to go to the menu, select file, pick the folder, click on it, wait a minute or so for the files to pop up, then select the first file just to see her daughter's wedding day. There is absolutely no way she will be using this function. She does not like the way it just randomly jumps from one folder to another by default (random mode). But unfortunately that is the only reasonable way to set it up because if you play by sequence, it starts from the beginning every time.

And even if she did manage to switch to a specific folder, it would be in random mode and those pictures would display randomly. There was no quick and simple single button push to turn it into a sequential slideshow.

When I saw a picture that wasn't too desirable, I could not easily find a way to delete or even rotate that photo permanently. There probably is a way, but it isn't obvious-- or perhaps you'd have to attach it to your computer and fix it that way.

The chord is also somewhat short; was not able to snake it around the back of her desk to the electric socket on her left wall; had to use a surge protector. Fortunately, there was a TV there that needed the surge protector anyway.

There is no simple way to have the clock come up with movement and easily switch to slide show.
I copied an mp3 to the Nix in the folder and was able to play the song by itself, but when I played the folder, the mp3 did not play. Later on I found that there was a Mute option that was set to On. I have not bothered to try to turn it to Off. Too many disappointments and I don't think it was worth it to try anyway as the music was tinny, and my mother in law had no interest in it.

The final disappointment was the fact that my mother in law can't stand leaving it on, even when it turns off by itself. So she just turned it off and leaves it standing there on the desk behind her laptop. It's just too much effort to see random pictures.

A note about the motion detection. It seems like you set an interval, say 10 minutes. And it will check every 10 minutes for no movement and turn off. So I believe if you set it to 10 minutes, it will check if you're moving, and if you are, it resets the timer for another 10 minutes. If you watch the slideshow for 9 minutes, and then 1 minute later you aren't moving when it checks, it will still turn off even though you've been moving for 9 out of ten minutes... if that makes sense.

Regardless, I still give it at least 3 stars because its basic functionality is there and I would probably enjoy it more in my living room because I understand the product way more than my mother in law. If I gave it brand new to her she would probably do with it what she's doing with it right now. Leaving it off and collecting dust.

Most of the extra features were disappointments, and given the price, I find myself sad about the money wasted when I see similarly sized digital albums in Walmart for like $30.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice frame!, November 29, 2011
JKS (Oklahoma, USA) - See all my reviews
I bought three different 8" frames (Pandigital Panimage PI8004W01B 8-Inch LED Digital Photo Frame (Black), Deluxe NIX 8-Inch Digital Picture Frame, Rechargeable Battery & Motion Sensor turns frame ON/OFF automatically when it senses you nearby! 2GB, and this NIX 8 Inch Hu-Motion Digital Photo Frame - X08C with Automatic ON/OFF Motion Sensor) and one 9" frame (Sony DPF-D95 9-Inch LED Backlit Digital Photo Frame with Remote (Black)) as a "shoot-out", of sorts. I've only had time to play with them for ~5 minutes each, so I can just provide my initial impressions. The photo quality of this frame is pretty good overall, and I really prefer the 800x600 resolution to the 800x480 that many 9" frames have. Many of the <$100 9" frames only have 480 rows of pixels (i.e. the vertical resolution), which you certainly notice unless you look at the images >5" away. Many of these 8" frames, on the other hand, have 600 rows of pixels -- 120 more rows of pixels on a smaller frame definitely looks better to me. The menu system on this frame is pretty nice, though I had a little bit of a problem navigating the buttons. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though. The picture quality, again, is quite good.

So, which frame(s) did I like best? I'm torn between this 8" Portable NIX and the 8" Pandigital Panimage. This frame has battery power so you can pass it around a ground without having to tethered to wall/AC power, and it has touch (capacitive?) buttons on the front to navigate the menu (which looks more sophisticated than this non-portable 8" NIX). On the other hand, the 8" Pandigital has a more classic black frame. For some reason, I think I like the Pandigital frame because it's more traditional, and the image quality is great. The 9" Sony frame is going back because I can't stand the lower resolution (800x480) on a larger frame (9").

Again, take the above with a grain of salt because I've only used each frame for ~5 minutes. But hey, it's better than nothing!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality digital photo frame, April 19, 2011
John's Scrappy (Concord, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This is my first digital photo frame so I did a lot of research on them before purchasing this Nix 8" frame. My first criteria in purchasing a digital frame was the resolution had to be very good. I can report after downloading many photos from my computer at various resolutions that the frame displays a very superior quality for my photos. Just make sure that you download your photos from the computer and NOT from a thumb drive or external HD. Its best to have your photos displayed in the landscape orientation because this will show the entire photo across the whole frame. If you do include portrait orientation photos then of course you will have black areas on each side of the photo while being displayed on the frame. The Hu-Motion feature is a bit confusing to set up so you are going to have to do a trial and error approach to find the best setting for your personal taste. I would of given this frame 5 Stars but the small remote is very disappointing. The battery was DOA when I tried to use the remote so had to go out and purchase a new one, no big deal. The remote itself is not very responsive and at times I have to just go to the digital frame and soft press the buttons on the frame itself to make my selections. Final thoughts with remote aside, you will be very pleased with the quality of how well the pictures are displayed and I have not seen anything close to it in my local electronic stores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Pleased, December 8, 2010
As a self described bargain hunter I was quite satisfied with the functionality and look of this digital frame. It took me quite a while to decide between the 8, 10 or 12 inch frame but I finally settled on the 8. The 8 inch frame is viewable from across the room with a good amount of detail and for most people it should be fine. Just to clarify, the viewable area of the screen is 8 inches diagonally. The motion sensor has a range of about 3 meters. I was surprised with how good the sound was and the level of volume possible.

Images are crisp and look fantastic on the screen.

Loading pictures, music and video was straightforward, just like a usb stick. Just drag your files onto it and the frame will separate by file type (music,photo,video). Another great feature is the fact that you can rotate it 90 degrees and the photo will adjust to portrait style (sort of like an ipod/ipad). This is a great gift idea for someone and a superb bargain for the features it has. If I had to really nit pick, when you stand it up on its side it does not tilt back at all so a slight push from behind would cause it to fall face down. If it would be possible to tilt it back a slight bit that would be good but this is a very minor thing. Overall, I would recommend this item.