5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect in Every Way!
Published on May 31, 2011 by jessicarabbit

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok
You have to go online to buy themes and such. Standard themes comes with software. It is not that user friendly to me.
Published 21 months ago by Alison Parker

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Practically Perfect in Every Way!, May 31, 2011
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
I was looking for a reasonably priced, but fun, stationary program so that I could design save the dates, invites, programs, etc for my wedding. I was pretty discouraged when I realized that many of the programs on the market were priced over $100. The whole reason behind designing my own stationary is to save money- not spend more! I was optimistic when buying this program, but had low expectations. Let me tell you, this software BLEW ME AWAY. The first reviewer said that it "wasn't as easy as advertised" and I completely disagree. This program is very user friendly. After tinkering around for a mere 20 minutes, I had come up with an invitation-worthy design. Every element is so easy to customize. You can use your own picture and art, or you can go onto their website and download "digikits" which feature more artistic elements, and range in price from free- 16 bucks, with most below 5 bucks (plus they give you a $10 credit for signing up with their website).

I am so excited to use this for all of my wedding correspondence as well as many, many future projects! I highly recommend this product.

(p.s. I am in no way compensated by this company. even though I have never written a review- I'm not just trying to boost the rating. I was just so impressed, there was no way I couldn't review it.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Serif got it right for a Digital Crafting Product, September 25, 2011
Sapphire (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
This product is very user friendly yet has many powerful options. The Platinum version is actually the "Professional" version with 4 additional products/disks: Weddings, Baby Pictures, Greeting Cards and my favorite--Scrapbooks; thus this version comes loaded with quite a bit of content. You can download free "Digikits" (which are a combination of embellishments, backgrounds, frames, materials, letters, etc.). You can also buy them via the Daisytrail website or create your own Digikit via the Digikit creator in the tools menu.

The Digikit creator allows you to create or import your own embellishments, backgrounds, frames, materials, letters, brushes and swatches thus creating your own "Digikit". The Daisytrail forums are fun; you can make friends and share your projects with others.

The interface is very organized, user friendly and pleasant; There is a small window with instructions for just about everything. I absolutely love this software and highly recommend this for all.

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality program...Loaded with features..., January 14, 2012
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
I've used similar products in the past. Unfortunately, when I updated to a Windows 7, 64 bit laptop, my old programs didn't work. I've been searching for a 'go to' replacement program. Serif CraftArtist Platinum fits most of my requirements. I'm still looking for a greeting card program & recently purchased The Print Shop v.23 (JC) which so far has been filling my needs.

When I installed the update, this Platinum Edition updated to CraftArtist Professional.

Although this is a craft program, greeting cards & popup cards can be made with it too...quotes are included & generic sentiments, such as: Happy 20th Anniversary; You have a boy; It's great to be 8, etc.

For your projects, you can choose from template, blank project or make & do project. Choosing template or make & do, can give you ideas to design your own project.

A large variety of craft projects are included: posters, scrapbooks, photobooks, albums, popup cards, flyers, inserts, menu cards, table plans, greeting cards, cupcake wrappers, invitations, confetti cones & stands, party masks, pinwheels, bunting flags & more!
In the gift wrap category: gift bags with various shapes; square, rectangular, sliding gift boxes, a pillow box & 8-sided gift box & more; & a variety of tags. I made the pillow box & it turned out great. Even though helpful instructions are included on the right side of the project, I still had a small learning curve & experimented with different ideas. The included video tutorials, user guide, & forums are helpful for getting the most use from this program.

In photobook you are able to view two pages at once which will be handy for panoramic photos. You do can do this by adding a blank page.

Amazon's Product Description covers the features of the program so I'm not going to reiterate them. You will need to register at Daisy Trails to use some of them.

This is a great program! I've been turning to Serif products more & more. The ones I've used are high quality & loaded with useful features, and, for me, most of them, have a slight learning curve.

UPDATE: I am used to having an option to print quarter-fold greeting cards. This program doesn't have that option; it seems to use pre-made cards. So I added a grid to blank, letter size paper. However the grid didn't have a line that went down the horizontal or vertical center of my paper. It was taking me too long to figure out how to center the design. I finally opened PrintShop 23.1 and pasted my design on a blank quarter-fold card & printed it. As I mentioned earlier, greeting cards are not the primary focus of this program. I'll be working with the grid off & on; hopefully I'll be able to center it.

5.0 out of 5 stars unbelievable value and easy, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
i have tried many programmes for drawing and photoshop and all of them are hard to work, nearly all of them require you to have knowledge of graphic design or above. not this one, this is the easiest one out there and you don't have to be a great computer whizz or be a graphic designer/engineer. i'm more into calligraphy and illumination, but this is addictive and i can incorporate this with my other callighraphy work. i tried the demo version to start with. My mother urged me to buy the full version. I'm glad i did, this does everything i can't do by hand, it lets you pick any kind of background for your paper you want, it prints out the colours wonderfully, the colour picker lets you choose any colour you want to print out, there are materials that you can cut, crop, re-size, change colour, ect. The scissors tool is excellent you have a whole range of cutting lines/shapes of cutting blades:pinking shears, shark cut, bump cut to name a few. There is also the shadow tool which gives you a 3d look to your pictures. You can mix and match digikits, you can change the shape and size and colour of embellishments, you can rotate them as well, i havent tried all the features of the full version so i cant say too much about the other tools yet. Photoshop is built in, i haven't tried that side of it yet because i don't have any photo's on this computer, which by the way is quite an old computer and the programme works flawlessly. no locking up or freezing. The version i bought comes with four other discs, scrapbooking, wedding day, greetings cards, and baby photo's. There are a lot of digikits that come with these discs and a lot more on the daisy trail site, the kits range from free to about $10. When i loaded all the discs into the computer i must have at well over 40 digikits that were already included, really not bad for starting out, and the craft artist platinum is a really great price too. I was going to purchase a cricut imagine but now i'm not going to. if i want to use my cricut with colour then i can just pick a background from daisy trail digikits then print out the shapes with my new coloured cardstock i made with daisy trail. This programme also gives you the templates for gift boxes and cupcake holders and other gift items. if you don't like them then as i said just find a background you like from a digikit print it out then use the cricut box making cartridge with your cricut machine. i might purchase the cricut expression 2 buts thats a maybe.
So this programme gets a 5/5 from me and i'm just starting out with this. As i said there are other programmes out there but they are complicated and hard to navigate round and also extremely expensive, so if your into digital scrapbooking or card making or gift making then this really is perfect. My mother is 71 and has been doing daisy trail for the last seven years and she finds it extremely easy to work and now has me addicted to this programme. I even purchased the craft artist 2 and i'm a newbee on this side of crafting.

GO GET IT PEOPLE!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this product!, August 7, 2011
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
I love this program. It is easy to use, and if you need help they have lots of tutorials on line that you can watch as many times as you want. You can also download free digit kits with all kinds of embellishments, backgrounds, etc. I have made several photo albums for my children using this program, cards, newsletter etc. The photo tool is also great. I have even made my own stencils in the program. (these are stencils used for digital not for hand stenciling). I couldn't live without this program now, it is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature-rich product for the price, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
My version of Printmaster didn't work with Windows 7, and I didn't want the current version due to poor reviews. I used Printmaster to throw together quick, lightly customized greeting cards, and wanted a replacement.

Printmaster is not even in the same league as Craft Artist. This product amazes me. I can throw together quick greeting cards with Craft Artist, but there is so much more functionality here.

There is quite a nice set of tools similar to Photoshop elements, such as the ability to edit photos attributes, apply special effects, mask out a photo object, etc.

There are so many other useful features, such as the ability to make letters not only any color you wish, but make them appear made of wood, stone, marble, various types of metal. There are "brushes" with which you can draw or write with lace, flowers, rope, stitching, jewels, and hundreds of styles. I love these for borders. You can pull a color from a photo or anything else, drag it to your palette and use it for any aspect of your project. There is a rich tool set of image manipulation. And there is a lot of material to work with!

The approach is similar to creating a card or scrapbook page by hand. You start with a background which snaps right into place to cover the entire background. You add "materials" which are like papers and fabrics of various textures and colors (which you can "cut", "punch" and manipulate in myriads of ways). There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of "embellishments" which are pretty similar to what you might find in a craft store, and which print out remarkably 3-D: ribbons, natural artifacts like feathers or twigs or flowers, buttons, pictures of all descriptions, you name it. And there are frames, which your photos snap right into, if you are doing a scrapbook page or a photo-based greeting card. These frames go beyond typical "frames" and are amazing.

Plus, it comes with templates so you don't have to do any of that - just customize some graphics or some text and you have your greeting card.

What is even better, is that I customize according to the time I have available - I can do a quick card or I can take as much time as I like in creating something unique and original.

But here is the down side:

I had to read the instructions and watch the included tutorials. I couldn't even figure out how to get started, much less dive into some of the very cool features. It does become more intuitive with use.

Although it comes with a nice collection of graphics, it is nothing like the enormous collection you get with Printmaster. I miss that.

There is that strong temptation to buy those individually inexpensive little collections of graphics (called "digikits"), and that cost could add up. The graphics that are included are pretty close to complete, but perhaps not quite as complete as one might like.

And I have had about a dozen calls from the vendor trying to sell me products, which is very, very annoying. They have not called recently, so I think I am off of their list.

I have had SO much fun with this software! If you can cope with the caveats above and are willing to spend an hour or so to learn how to use it, I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Create with imagination, March 4, 2012
eroz (Oakland, Mi.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
This software is good for scrapbooking and picture books, but I use it prmarily for creating projects with my pictures using a variety of templates with varying backgrounds, frames, and clipart. For more variety I purchased other graphic template packs from serif.com that work with Serif CraftArtist Platinum. Software should come with beter instructions. Had to make a couple calls to tech. support for help, but enjoying the softare now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad, March 14, 2011
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
Came in great condition.Though not as easy as they make it sound.Alot of different stuff to create.Lets you get really creative.All in all....good purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ended up pleasantly surprised, January 5, 2014
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
After I first started using CraftArtist I really started to wonder why I bought it. If I actually took family photos it would have made sense because I'd use them for making cards or put them in personalized scrapbook pages. The first couple times playing around with it brought me to the conclusion that CraftArtist didn't do all that much and what it did do wasn't for me. Then I found some YouTube how-tos, some online printed tutorials, and the DaisyTrail forum. I got hooked on CraftArtist and use it to relax instead of playing computer games. I've made printed cards, but mostly I make cards in a format that can be sent in the body of an email. There are lots of free kits containing background papers, fabrics, embellishments, picture frames etc, that you can download for making your own cards. You can also create your own background papers, fabrics, embellishments, and picture frames too. There's lots to discover with CraftArtist and I'm glad I didn't just blow it off as useless after the first couple times messing around in there. I've never been called by Serif sales, though I do get somewhat frequent emails from them. Those can be unsubscribed to but there are too many good offers that come through so I just as soon receive them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love love love thus!!, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition (DVD-ROM)
I use craft artist almost everyday! It's easy to use, my 12 year old daughter uses it as well! this is great for all kinds of projects!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition
Serif CraftArtist Platinum Edition by Serif (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: $42.00