5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Now get drawing!
There are seemingly a myriad of illustration programs and some do things better than others. Most digital illustrators work with several because no single application seems to do it all so well. But, I have to say, Serif DrawPlus X5 comes pretty close.

Published on April 24, 2012 by C. L. Messina

3.0 out of 5 stars Good program except...
Published on May 4, 2012 by LizO

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good program except..., May 4, 2012
LizO (Colorado Springs, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
It crashes all the time working in Windows 7 (64 bit). There doesn't seem to be any consistent thing that one does to create an issue but according to Windows it's faulting on a Serif dll file. I'd love to be able to give this a 5 star rating but it loses 2 stars (almost 3) for the fact it crashes so much. When it is running, it's a good program, for simple designs, in its price range.

I design websites and it's great for some simple graphics creation (much, much easier to learn than Illustrator) which is why I leave the 3 stars as is. However, when the software crashes several times in less than 15 minutes on a fresh boot, it cuts into your time and your creative process.

Like I said, it's simple to learn but I am left frustrated and seriously annoyed when I can't complete a design without it crashing and hope that I have saved the last revision.

Not sure I could confidently recommend this product to anyone without stressing the fact that it's not stable and tripping on it's own dynamic library link file.

(Product downloaded and installed Feb. 25, 2012 - latest updates installed)

UPDATE 12-08-12: Recently I had to wipe my hard drive and reinstall everything (virus - first time in nearly 18 years on the internet despite anti-virus software). Fresh installs on everything including placing data on a different partition. I still have problems with the program tripping on its own DLL file BUT they aren't as frequent nor are they as many/or repetitive from the initial program crash. I have learned to save and save frequently to avoid the frustration.

Aside from the occasional crash, you can create some decent vector graphics for a low price. It's not meant to be a photo program like Photoshop or a photo/vector program like Paint Shop Pro (although it does have some photo editing capabilities) but given the price, it is a decent alternative to Illustrator if you just can't find yourself putting out that much cash. It's not as powerful as Illustrator by any means and output as SVG is a bit iffy. It's not a bad program at all but my experience has been a bit more frustrating than I would like it to be. I still use it and I use it a lot so I guess it earns another 1/2 star. I'd give it a full star if (with all program updates) it would not crash at all. It would earn a full 5 star review if it were a bit more flexible, better vector output and a few more options.

I don't know if I would fault DrawPlus or if I would fault PagePlus (which is a pretty good PDF creator and editor) but output of DrawPlus (dpp) files to PagePlus is impossible at this time. This is a minor drawback I hope that Serif addresses so it can import those files directly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Now get drawing!, April 24, 2012
C. L. Messina (Kansas City, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)

If I could make the perfect vector program it would be Autodesk Sketchbook, but Sketchbook is a bitmap program. What I like about Sketchbook is the intuitive, simple (but beautiful) interface. If I could write a program with all the features I could ever want I would make something like Adobe Illustrator. Adobe products are, for the most part, the heaviest on features but just so difficult to learn. Seems like I'm always jumping through hoops to get anything done in Adobe. Too many options. That marriage between the two programs, Sketchbook and Illustrator, might just be right here.

DrawPlus has similar buttons to Illustrator but unlike Illustrator, they tell you what the buttons do when you hover over them. This is incredibly helpful for the new user trying to remember what is what or trying to discover what other functions they might want to explore. Exploring in Illustrator is a hair raising experience. As in, 'I sure hope Ctl+Z can undo this and my program doesn't freeze trying to execute it'. On top of the descriptive hovering, the tools just make sense and seemed grouped together in a very logical fashion. For example, you don't have to go digging around to make simple shapes you use a lot, just click on the shape tool and the choices are there. I like that a lot.

Editing is a snap. DrawPlus gives you a shape or line with the simple understanding that it is made of points (nodes) and that you might want to move these nodes about a little. Simply click on the 'node' tool, select your point you want to manipulate and there you have it. Even better, the 'simple' shapes (circle, square, etc.) have built in node sliders that quickly let you make common adjustments to common shapes, which is just a brilliant feature. E.g. Do you want a square with sharp corners or rounded ones? How rounded? Well, just make a square and slide the lever to your roundness liking and there it is.

There are more features (animation, filter effects, etc.), or should I say enough to make most if not all of your graphic needs with very little effort in very little time. I was up and running creating graphic creations within 20 minutes. THAT'S what a vector drawing program SHOULD be like.

And here's the better part- they let you try it out (DrawPlus Starter) for free. Some of the more exciting features are disabled but there's certainly enough to get a great feel for it AND, best of all, no time limit! I tried it, LOVED it, and bought the full version. I have nothing but love for this vector drawing program.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, powerful software, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
Very nice software to use with a drawing pad. I like the way it smooths out the lines you draw automatically. It is laid out well and reasonably intuitive. There is always a balance between power and intuitiveness. This software does a good job by providing advanced functionality if you want it and an easy learning curve for the basics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to get into vector graphics editing, April 15, 2012
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
Dive right in to DrawPlus and you might be confused. "Hey, why did it just smooth out my crooked line, I want it crooked!" Later, after some practice you'll realize that this is just one of several effects you can apply to a drawn line, and a strength of working with a vector graphics program. This Serif product has great, easy to apply effects that make for some very impressive and *scalable* images. For example, if you want to do a logo and have it in multiple places, DrawPlus (like any good vector graphics program) will scale the logo up and down automatically as you resize it, maintaining full quality with no artifacts or pixelation.

If you are looking for more of a straightforward image manipulation and "paint" program, Serif's PhotoPlus may suit you better. But if you want scalable graphics of any kind - say for mapmaking or book cover design, DrawPlus is a great tool and easy to use. It imports and exports many popular image formats as well, so don't worry about compatibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Software for the Money, June 24, 2012
Great software and for the price Amazon is charging for the Download Version you can't beat it. A Must software for web developers new or old who are looking for an alternative for Illustrator Newind Learning Center [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars still discovering what it'll do, August 13, 2012
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
Right out of the box and things went smoothly. Fired it up and in 30 minutes my wife and I had gotten some of the basics down. Somewhat like adobe illustrator in it's menu. On the vocal prompts, sometimes it is hard to understand the woman for her english accent. They should have used a more professional voice. I chose Emma Thompson or Kate Beckinsale. Deeper voices, more correct enunciation. Would recommend it to a friend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy Serif Software, September 6, 2012
Ken (Bellevue, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
I have purchased several Serif software products in the past and I like them. Since then, I have been constantly harassed by telephone sales. I can't believe how much they call. Currently, it is 2 times a day. If my wife answers, they don't even talk to her because they know it's my account and she has told them in the past to stop calling, so they hang up. They have assured me twice now that they have removed me from their list, but I still receive calls. For further information, search for "serif constant calls" and you will see a lot of complaints. The software is not worth the harassment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great program for the price!, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
Great program! I would recommend this for anyone looking for a lost cost solution for creating some nice art pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOOKING FORWARD TO A NEW DRAWINGPLUS X5 EXPERIENCES, March 14, 2014
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
My artist daughter loves this product so much; she has been using it every other day and loves it. I can see her improvement, or though it can take a little while to learn it. A great solution is to watch the teaching videos from You Tube. A little later she mastered it. I usually don't give a five star rating; but on this occasion, it merits it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Program good Registration troublesome, January 30, 2014
This review is from: Serif DrawPlus X5 (CD-ROM)
The program is good but to register you have to call and do quite a few things. The registration online wont take the letters in the registration code. #'s only

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Serif DrawPlus X5
Serif DrawPlus X5 by US Serif Software (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: $67.08