5.0 out of 5 stars This is how website building should be
I always dreamed of having my own website but never had the courage to start learning how to do this.
One day i bought an excellent learning video on DVD about creating websites using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4.
Published on December 7, 2009 by Patrick Pfeifer

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, but doesn't follow proper coding guidelines
Published on February 2, 2010 by M. Eppley

5.0 out of 5 stars This is how website building should be, December 7, 2009
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
After 12 hours of listening to these learning sessions i asked myself if there is no other way than programming houndreds of html-tags and css style sheets and making more cryptic manupulations only to get a first homepage.
I asked myself how long it would take to build a complete site using these tools ...
I decided to look a little bit around and i found Serif webplus x4, an all in one package for a very cheap price.
After running webplus x4 and reading some small online tutorials about it i told myself that this is the way i want to build my website by using this fantastic graphical toolkit.
The whole website was finished in only one day !
With webplus x4 you can now also insert html ond javascript code on your pages.
What is also very important is that you can have "Master pages" as a basic layout for the rest of the pages.
Publishing your site via ftp to the hosting server is also completely handled in a differential way by webplus x4.
Integration into the most popular search engines can also be done with some clicks and by inserting some authentification html code on the homepage.
If you want to build easily a website where graphical design is your focus and not spending days of coding html and css styles then this is your product.
I cannot imagine using another tool than webplus x4 in the future and therefore i give 5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, but doesn't follow proper coding guidelines, February 2, 2010
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
The program is easy to use, but don' try to change applications. Once you create a website you will be stuck using Webplus as it will take a long time to copy its features to a different program which you may eventually want to do as you may want to add features not supported by Webplus. I added a simple scrolling text box which was a headache to maintain but necessary to increase search engine placement. I had to find workarounds for a couple of other features which is difficult as they do not let you insert HTML anywhere you like. It also writes all web page styling (CSS) in the source for each page instead of putting it in one or a few CSS files as is standard today. This results in slower page loads for your customers. This program is not worth more than $50.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed!!!, July 8, 2010
For someone who's accustomed to dropping $500 at a time for Adobe CS upgrades, I have to say this is the best $80 I have spent on a web tool yet. I am always skeptical above rave reviews for products I haven't heard of before and there are a lot of glowing reviews of some pretty weak web authoring packages on Amazon. I have been a dreamweaver user since its inception and I am very comfortable with it, there is no doubt that its probably the most advanced professional web development tool on the market. But that said I was in the market for a faster, simpler, more intuitive, fully integrated web authoring product. I tested different comparable products to webplus and I liked this one the best by far (also tried: netobjects fusion, ms frontpage, ms expressions, coffee cup, site spinner and many other).

This is a well thought out product, it gives you almost everything you need to get sites done very quickly with little web experience. It's like a swiss army knife, does almost everything you need, almost as well as using standalone tools like Adobe CS5. Its not as powerful as the standalone professional tools on a feature by feature basis but I have found I can do a site just as well in a fraction of the time and many of the plugins that I had to buy separately for dreamweaver are included free. There is a free version on their site which I tried and bought the full version the next day. If serif keep the price of this product below $100 they have one feature Adobe aren't gonna have any time soon, "value".

4.0 out of 5 stars Webplus x4, January 24, 2010
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
We are starting a company and several months ago contracted someone to design a website and ecommerce. His website looked great as did some others he designed; however, he didn't do anything for us. We had to fire him and he won't give us back our money. Since we are wasting time and money, we decided to do it ourselves. We need a website by next week... I researched on the internet and for the price, Webplus x4 received fairly good marks. First, we tried to order it through Serif (the company that makes it) and that was a big mistake. That cost us another week dealing with them. We paid for next day delivery and come to find out, they were out of stock. We had also ordered extra templates and pictures so it was a large order. It took several days to get it cancelled. In the meantime, I ordered it through Amazon. I didn't pay for extra shipping because another reviewer said he got it in two days as did I. The price at Amazon is cheaper as well.

While I was waiting, I downloaded a trial version of Webplus x2 to practice with - the basic functions are the same. I also looking on youtube and watched some tutorials that also helped me. I went through all the tutorials for Webplus x2 and those helped a lot. When I received the Webplus x4, I had a basic idea of how to use it. It doesn't come standard with many templates and no image gallery. However, I found that I could modify the template to what I wanted and I used Microsoft clip art to find some images.

I am used to using Windows Office 2007 and the basic commands for Webplus are like Powerpoint. Without going through the tutorials, it would have taken me longer to figure things out. Overall, I am happy with the results. I created 3 websites over the weekend - we have several divisions in our company. The hardest part for me was just putting in the content -not the actually design. I did find a bug in the software - the flash gallery doesn't work automatically in the preview. I called Serif and let them know - the guy there couldn't get it to work either. The tech support is in the UK and it is ok - I think they could know more about their product. The software isn't really good about explaining the ecommerce part. I am still trying to figure that out - I think it will be easier after I sign up with PayPal. Once you sign up, then you can actually populate the shopping cart.

I have never done this before so I am pleased with the results. My friends are just estatic and have proclaimed me the webmaster in our business venture.

5.0 out of 5 stars WebPlus X4 - Well worth the money, March 16, 2010
Kevin Robson (Hartford, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
I have used webplus for several years and upgraded each time a new version was available. X4 was no exception and to be honest, it did come with a list of bugs. However, nothing stopped me from converting my existing sites to X4 or stopped me from maintaining them. Bugs are annoying, but the priority ones have, in the main, been fixed in the first patch release and others are due in the next patch. The platform is totally stable on my Windows 7 desktop setup and on Vista on my laptop.

The rsulting websites can be as simple as you want or as professional as the best you have seen. The design is ultimately up to you, and WebPlus X4 will produce quality results.

Some reviewers comment on the 'fixed' nature of the software, complaining that one cannot add special features easily e.g. Flash components, HTML codeed features etc. Although it has taken me some time to teach myself (I am only a hobbyist), I have sites with externally created flash embeded, my own coded features e.g. secure access controls etc., and integration with SQL databases, remotely hosted web forums, PayPal ecommerce, photo galleries, content management, and search facilities. Some of this is not straightforward, but I have yet to find something I can not do. If you follow some simple rules, your pages will load quickly, and I have experienced no problems with this. I have also ran W3C checks on my pages and few errors were reported, most were my error and when amended, I was left with either a clean page or 1/2 minor errors that were definately Serif's method of coding. Nothing that caused any operational issues.

If you a non HTML user, Webplus is excellent, as you do not need to even see any code, Its WYSWYG nature is easy to learn and flexible. I have taught kids to use it in a few evenings, with great results.

The product is great value for money, and the support I have had has been responsive and effective. I look forward to the next release, as it just gets better and better.

PS. I run 6 commercial websites using WPX4, one is 63.8mb and contains 370+ files - All are stable and have no performance issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Website Building Product Ever!, November 4, 2009
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
There's nothing bad to say about this software. It has every feature you can think of, from search tools, 3 types of photo galleries, inserting HTML, editing photos and plenty more! Serif also has a very active community forum. If you have a question, make a post and you will receive a reply within minutes. A really helpful feature is the site QuickBuilder toolbar so you can build your site much faster than previous versions. The image cutout studio is even better than Apple's "Instant Alpha" and it eliminates unnecessary time spent in other image editing software. There's so much good to say about this software, I wouldn't think of purchasing anything else. . . even Dreamweaver.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bugs, bugs, bugs....tech support clueless, January 31, 2010
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
I bought this product to upgrade my existing website to a more professional appearance. It seemed complicated at first, but once I rolled up my sleeves and started working my way through their online tutorials, I had basically completed my website by the end of the day.

I'm pleased with the ease of use and features offered. The reason I only gave it two stars is because it has bugs in the navigation bars that their technical support people apparently can't figure out. I cannot find a navigation bar format that works correctly in all the various browsers out there (IE, Mozilla, Chrome, Safari). So, I have an active website for my business with a navigation menu that will get you to the other pages, but doesn't give you any indication of which page you are one. The current page menu text is supposed to be black while all other pages are supposed to be beige, but the HOME menu text remains black regardless of which page you are viewing. The menu rollover effects don't work properly either.

Tech support seems to want me to do all their homework. They've been "working" on this problem for over a month with no suggestion whatsoever as to what the problem is.

The tech forums have criticized Webplus X4 for launching a product before all the bugs were worked out. Try Webplus X2 instead. It is only a $30 program.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, not so good for those with more experience, February 10, 2010
Alice Hand (Palm Springs CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
The product is basically good, and does easily produce a website that looks very nice in a minimal amount of time. However, it's a little frustrating if you know some HTML and want to change things just a little. I know there is a feature that allows insertion of some HTML code, but I'd prefer to do it directly. I wanted to redo some existing website pages but keep some of the old as well, but you can't easily mix and match if using the product to create a menu. I tried to edit some of the resulting pages in another program, and that didn't work either. This would be a great product if it didn't save the whole site in its proprietary format and if you could edit the HTML directly. I'm not sure why that wasn't included, as you can view the code but not touch it easily.

On the positive side, it does deal with graphics very well, allowing easy placement on any spot on the page, a feature not found in some other products. It's a little strange to have all the graphics renamed with a different format, but I suppose that ultimately doesn't matter.

I haven't yet tried loading any of the stuff - still playing around with some existing sites to see if I really want to use this format.

As others mentioned, I had hoped for more templates as well. The basics are nice and can be changed with the different color schemes, but they could have been a little more creative.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not suited for e-commerce, okay for informational web sites, September 30, 2010
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
WebPlus X4 makes great claims, but fails to live up to them.

If you are making an informational web site, it will do a fine job once you master the unusual structural methods. I previously built a web site from scratch with only a basic HTML editor so expected quickly to master WebPlus. Not so. Previous experience with HTML is neither necessary nor helpful. Documentation is poor, as is typical of most software, so one struggles to figure out how to make the web site work. Fortunately there is fairly good support on the Serif web site in its forums.

I bought WebPlus x4 specifically to construct a website on which merchandise would be sold. I selected it because it claimed "Using e-commerce to sell online has never been easier" and boasted that it "teamed up with the top shopping cart providers . . . ." What I found, however, is that, when used with its free shopping carts, it is totally inadequate for anyone who has a limited supply of items, and thus must integrate inventory controls to prevent a single item from being twice purchased. It may be adequate if one is selling items available in unlimited quantities, such as downloadable software or goods purchased from a drop shipper. It could be tied to a shopping cart other than one of the free ones with which it readily links, or a really good web site developer could build a cart to go with it, but you would be spending a lot in addition to the cost of WebPlus to get the e-commerce capability.

It was after struggling at great length with WebPlus X4 on the basic web site design that I discovered its inadequacies. In searching for a low-cost solution I found that there are several free, or near free, shopping cart programs that are far better suited for selling online. I selected zencart due to the many templates available to customize its appearance. While not for the timid or technically challenged, I have found that zencart does, for free, nearly everything that WebPlus can do, plus can actually handle online sales of goods.

So if you are putting together a web site to give information, consider WebPlus X4. But if you are planning to sell goods from your web site, either go for another software package or plan on spending a lot on supplemental software.

4.0 out of 5 stars webplus x4, an easy way to design a website, January 26, 2010
This review is from: Serif WebPlus X4 (Software)
I'll start by saying that after a few weeks I found the software to work well, webplus x4 worked just great for me, not only because the software itself takes care of all the HTML you can imagine doing with Dreamweaver. I took a web design class at college last semester and was introduced to Dreamwevaer, not being good at it since I am an artist I couldn't create my website for my final, I dropped it and later found webplus x4.

Webplus x4 takes care of the HTML while you only have to worry to create the content of your futuristic own web design, while the software itself comes with some pre-designed templates, they didn't work for me, they could be good if you are cool modifying things or you are ok not to work a lot. You can order extra templates through Serif but what's the fun to use something that someone else may be using already. The pictures and the templates, you can use them, but imagine if your friend next door is using the same program and the same templates and pictures for his website....right no fun.

I didn't have the need to use the flash, so I don't have anything to say about it. What I liked about this program is the part when you want to create galleries, I have my website where I used Popup Rollovers and I found it really easy for my pictures to be shown. I don't plan to give all the features that come with the software because I need to review them first, but I plan to make a review on my blog later on.

The program itself as the templates comes with a everything you need to have a simple or sophisticated face depending on how much time and effort you want to invest. Webplus comes with some nav bars you can use and modify depending on your needs, change the colors and the design with couple clicks and all done, copy and paste it in every page that requires it and then link them together. I didn't like the nav bars that came with the software, so I used drawplux x3, another software from serif which works as Adobe Illustrator (Vector). You can design you bottons and graphics with a different software and then place them with webplus and works just fine.

The only problem I had was trying to upload my site from the software to my server, I tried it and didn't work at all and neither did I contact serif for that since I had Filezilla on desktop. It was stressful trying to do that since it was the first time designing and uploading a site to a server, but the results were just good. I am happy with it. I give it 4 stars for that only problem I had, but everything else is just plain great.

I have found many good and bad reviews out of this program, but none provides you with the actual site they designed with webplus x4, that's why here is mine so you can see the result of my work. [...] I am happy that I did it on my own, I showed my site to couple friends and now they want me to design their sites. So give it a chance and see how it works, sadly they don't offer you a 30 days free trial, that is another bad thing, but I think that with such cheap product they find it expensive for them. Amazon also offers a great price for it, so is better to get through here.

last but not least,I have seen 2 of the same products listed on amazon, one appears to look like a box and the other like a dvd case. The dvd case I ordered through amazon didn't come with the user guide (book) but online, so you might want to check that with amazon or serif.

Hope this review worked for you.

P.S.
Go to the comments section to find the link of my website.

Serif WebPlus X4
Serif WebPlus X4 by Serif (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
$99.99 $9.65