Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter [Download]
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Platform: PC Download|Edition: Standard|Change
Price:$4.49

on May 22, 2012
If you played the original, you pretty much know what you're getting yourself into once you press "start". For those new to the series, well, get ready for a fun, one-liners (funny ones too!) gore O'plenty kinda game. You are given an arsenal to basically pop fools coming at you from all directions.

This is the type of game you want to play when you don't want to think about where the story is going or how to solve puzzles, this is the type of game you play to SIMPLY have fun; to shoot and forget. I like the funny lines Sam throws in once in a while, dude is actually funny.

Serious Sam is a remake of the original,fans of the series will be happy to see the original formula unchanged, everything is there, down to the last detail which better looking, polished graphics. Don't expect the likes of Crysis, BF3, etc type of graphics either; you won't be blown away, but you'll be pleased and will appreciate the fresh coat of paint.

Sound is ok, explosions and so are ok, again, don't play this game for its graphics and such, play it for the gore and fun. All SS fans know this.

So, in conclusion,Seriuous Sam it still is the fun game we all remember, but for those of you still on the fence about this game, I recommend it, because Serious Sam is a game you don't have to think much about, just shoot away. If you are looking for awesome graphics, I will honestly say, look else where, but if you can get pass that, then, have fun and blast away.
on March 14, 2013
This is a classic game which was (even at the time) a throwback to old-school mindless shooters. Games at the time were getting more intricate with Experience Points, multiple objectives, item collection and so on. So, Serious Sam came along with the intention of bringing back the style of classic games like Doom, Wolfenstein, and Quake.. but Serious Sam is SERIOUSLY harder than any of those games by a factor of hundreds.

When I first started playing this game, I hated.. HATED it. I was unprepared for the sheer amount of enemies and the irritatingly infuriating patterns of some of the monsters. You see, I always play games on Hard.. so I started this one on hard. Hard, by the way is not the hardest difficulty here. Anyway.. by about the 3rd or 4th level, I was extremely stressed out and angry at trying to progress through certain rooms. It seemed impossible to me, so I turned it off and figured it was money down the drain.

However, I picked it back up the next day and noticed that I was slowly getting better, which gave me drive to complete it. By the end, I was pretty good at it. It was nice to be able to feel my skills improving over the course of the game, and I grew to love this game for the most part. Unfortunately, there are some sections of the game that are literally among the hardest things I've ever tried to accomplish in life. I call these the "F.U. rooms" because when I get to them, it feels like the developers are saying "F.U. for trying to enjoy this game!" It can be extremely frustrating and stressful at times, but there is, fortunately, more good than bad. The Second Encounter is much better than this one due to there not being as many "F.U. rooms" and the addition of some new and VERY helpful weapons like the flamethrower and the sniper rifle. I recommend playing all of the SS games, but be warned. They are quite sadistic at times, and this one is the worst offender.
on September 17, 2013
If you are a shooter fan and a fan of silly one liners this is such a great game. SS throws everything at you, and I mean everything! TFE and TSE are complete classics to the series. I recently finished SS3 BFE and loved it but it left me feeling that I really wanted more of what TFE and TSE has to offer, which is competely endless hordes of baddies looking to take your head off from all directions for minutes at a time, and just when you think you've got a second to breathe BAM!!! Here comes another multi-minute wave of baddies to take your head off. GO!!!

A pure adrenaline junkie's game, that's for sure.
on September 1, 2012
Well when i first started playing this game I wasn't very enthused by it at all. Needless to say it grew on my heart and I loved it. Who hasn't wanted a game were you are the bad a** and everything is trying to kill you, not to mention you friends can join you in the chaos that is Serious Sam. This is a very well done graphics upgrade from the original not HD (Yes I own both of the originals). When I seen that this was only 3.00 dollars there was no way I was going to pass this up and keep being Serious.
on September 4, 2013
Serious Sam was one of the first PC games I ever played back when my dad first introduced it to me alongside Dungeon Siege, so keep in mind while this review may be for the HD remake, I have a lot of experience with this game and its sequel. I decided I wanted to play Serious Sam 3, but first I needed to take a trip through the series for a refresher.

The premise of the game is simple: humanity is being pushed to the brink of extinction by an alien race, and the protagonist is the last hope for our survival. When it comes to story, this game doesn't have a whole lot of substance, and thus if a heavily story based game is what you're looking for, you should be looking elsewhere. There is some lore behind it that you acquire as you go along, but nothing in-depth.

Graphics in this game are ok; they aren't bad but they also aren't going to make your eyes pop out of your head. In some cases, I could still see some of the bland textures from the original that weren't re-done. However, the game does look quite different when compared to the original. The sounds are also very bland.

Gameplay in Serious Sam is really what will make or break your opinion on the game. This game is very arcade like: you are running around with a massive arsenal of weapons ranging from a knife all the way to a handheld cannonball launcher. The game does a great job of being able to match up enemy types with a weapon that can exploit their weaknesses. You will constantly have to make on the spot decisions about which weapon to use as your enemies come at you in waves of increasing difficulty until you're the last one standing on a battlefield flowing with rivers of blood. Keep in mind, this game was intended for players who wanted to jump right into a goreparty that you are the center of attention in. As you slaughter your enemies, they'll spray blood and disintegrate into piles of destroyed flesh.

Eventually, I start to grow tired of literally just fighting waves upon waves of enemies, and sometimes it just gets downright boring. I find myself often wondering when is a series of spawn waves just going to end so I can move on to the next one. Serious Sam is a game on rails, so for those who at least want some moderate degree of variety really won't find terminal enjoyment here. Thus, I play the game on occasion when I'm in the mood to try and finish it.

Overall, it's not a bad game by any means, and those who want some quick fun will find a lot of enjoyment in it. Otherwise, you may find yourself desiring "more."
on July 15, 2013
This is a fantastic game and looks great in HD. Very fast paced with all the enemies running towards you. A great remake of the classic Serious Sam game.
on January 29, 2013
Fast paced and even funny in a good way.Can get a bit difficult in some spots,but that's why it's fun.
on May 7, 2012
Bought it on Amazon because it was on sale, and activated it on Steam, so it works perfectly obviously. Pretty good game.
on March 22, 2015
The game is fine but, I don't like Steam and would never buy this product again because of Steam
on October 17, 2014
Bought this along Side with the Second Encounter, Great game, cheap price! Worth every cent!!