5.0 out of 5 stars A sweeter version of the hilarious original
This is an endearing book and this g-rated version is sure to please adults and kids alike. For me, it's not nearly as funny as the original, but many people found the original version offensive due to the language, so this version is great for reading with your kids.

Published on March 27, 2012 by L. Cabrera

When censoring is used to create a "safe" version of some creative work, one of two things will happen: either the end product remains enjoyable, or it pathetically fails. This book is an example of the latter.

Published on July 14, 2012 by Bill M.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sweeter version of the hilarious original, March 27, 2012
L. Cabrera (Bellingham, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)

If you'd still like to enjoy the gist of the book (we've done everything and said everything, and now it's time to GO TO SLEEP!) without the swear words, this is the book for you.

If you'd like the version that's made for adults only, you can get it here: Go the F**k to Sleep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute!, May 21, 2012
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
While I thoroughly the adult version of this book, I was curious to see what the kid version would look like. I can safely say that Seriously, Just Go to Sleep is very kid friendly and one I think all kids will enjoy. The illustrations are done really well and really help enhance the story. I read this to my son, who has a lot of trouble staying in bed at times and he got a kick out of the book. If you are looking for a good bedtime story, pick this one up and read it to the kids. I think you will both enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars more fun for the adult, September 22, 2012
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
I love the original and was very excited to get the version I could actually read to my children. My son (4.5) understands and gets the sarcasm. He tries to refrain from smiling b/c he also understands it is poking fun at him. So while he knows it's kind of funny (not as funny as the original) he wants to be indignant about it. My daughter (3) truly enjoys me joking that she should be asleep now. Both love telling me no they are not asleep and picking up on the story by asking for water and wanting to go to the bathroom. They both enjoy it being read as a bedtime story but it is my pick when given a choice they never choose this one, so I think it's more fun for me than them, but that's ok sometimes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously? Just get the original. Or just buy a different children's book., July 14, 2012
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)

The outcome of a censored work all depends on how vital the so-called "objectionable" parts were to the original. For example, the safe-for-TV version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is still enjoyable, because even after you overdub the film's only two swears and shorten the violent frames, you're still left with a great adventure movie. But when they tried censoring "Scarface" for TV, the result was a hilarious failure. That's because the extremism of it all is precisely what makes Scarface, "Scarface". You simply can't censor it without butchering it. It's strictly an adult movie, not for children or prudes, period. You may as well print an all-text version of Playboy magazine.

It's the same thing with the original #1 New York Times bestseller "Go the [word that Amazon won't let me post] to Sleep", and this censored re-work of it. I spotted "Seriously, Just Go To Sleep" in the store, flipped through it, and was appalled. The magic of the "F" word is what MADE the original book WORK! That simple contrast of American English's most blunt and verboten word, with the innocence of a children's book, is precisely what made the book what it was. Sure it was one-dimensional humor, but it worked. It ultimately spoke to parents who know that frustration of getting a child to go to sleep, and it expressed what these parents really want to say some nights, but obviously can't.

So why oh why would you take that all away? If it's a children's bedtime book you're looking for, there are thousands of other choices out there. Otherwise, it's like trying to buy your family that TV version of "Scarface", or serving Dixie cups of non-alcoholic beer for your kids' birthday party -- what's the point?

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, clean version of the now classic book for parents, July 11, 2012
[This review also appears on Andi's Kids Books.]

Adam Mansbach rocked the social media world with his now classic picture book for adults called Go the F*** to Sleep. Anyone who has had to put a child to bed could relate to that bone tired, desperate exhaustion of the adult whose child simply refuses to go to bed, no matter what. You can anticipate every argument the child has to give. One of my favorite parts is when the child is finally asleep and the parents prepare to sit down with their microwave popcorn to watch a movie. As soon as the microwave beeps that the popcorn is done, the child is up again. The parent just gives up and they all try again to go to sleep.

That original version, of course, as not appropriate to read to children, considering its language. So, Mansbach decided to clean up the language and republish his tale as a children's story. The illustrations by Ricardo Cortes are vibrant and just as much fun as in the original, as they are the same.

My only issue with reading this book to children is the fear that it could encourage them to not sleep. A skilled reader, though, would be able to turn it into a challenge for kids and trick them into going to sleep quickly. This is a fun one.

I received an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dust collector, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
Its a great conversation piece and laugh when shared with other parents, but realistically after showing it around one, it goes on the shelf forever...

5.0 out of 5 stars I have this on my kindle and is a great read when the littles just won't go to sleep, July 14, 2014
I have this on my kindle and is a great read when the littles just won't go to sleep! I have the uncensored version too, but can't read it to them until they're older ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny!, July 10, 2014
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
I bought the edited version as well as the unedited for both myself and my son-- these books are just adorable. I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too funny!, June 3, 2014
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
Not sure if anyone will actually read this to their child, but it is quite a hoot! My kids are grown, but I will never forget being exhausted and frustrated when they were young and wouldn't go to sleep. The books makes a hilarious baby gift!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, May 21, 2014
This review is from: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep (Hardcover)
This is a great gift to give people without the swear words in it. It is still funny and still gets the message across of how little kids will do anything to stay up by being annoying.

Seriously, Just Go to Sleep
Seriously, Just Go to Sleep by Adam Mansbach (Hardcover - March 27, 2012)
$15.95 $13.34