Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seriously, Just Go to Sleep
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 27, 2012
This is an endearing book and this g-rated version is sure to please adults and kids alike. For me, it's not nearly as funny as the original, but many people found the original version offensive due to the language, so this version is great for reading with your kids.

If you'd still like to enjoy the gist of the book (we've done everything and said everything, and now it's time to GO TO SLEEP!) without the swear words, this is the book for you.

If you'd like the version that's made for adults only, you can get it here: Go the F**k to Sleep.
on September 22, 2012
I love the original and was very excited to get the version I could actually read to my children. My son (4.5) understands and gets the sarcasm. He tries to refrain from smiling b/c he also understands it is poking fun at him. So while he knows it's kind of funny (not as funny as the original) he wants to be indignant about it. My daughter (3) truly enjoys me joking that she should be asleep now. Both love telling me no they are not asleep and picking up on the story by asking for water and wanting to go to the bathroom. They both enjoy it being read as a bedtime story but it is my pick when given a choice they never choose this one, so I think it's more fun for me than them, but that's ok sometimes.
on May 21, 2012
While I thoroughly the adult version of this book, I was curious to see what the kid version would look like. I can safely say that Seriously, Just Go to Sleep is very kid friendly and one I think all kids will enjoy. The illustrations are done really well and really help enhance the story. I read this to my son, who has a lot of trouble staying in bed at times and he got a kick out of the book. If you are looking for a good bedtime story, pick this one up and read it to the kids. I think you will both enjoy it.
on February 25, 2015
If you a parent you will love this book. If you know a parent buy this for them(or buy it's counterpart, though don't let them read that one to their kids). This one is safe to read to your kids. You will probably have a lot of laughs reading it's counterpart for yourself. This one you will too, but there is no cursing in this one. Read this to your child when you are frustrated with them. It will certainly make you feel better. It's the greatest children's book in the world. Also buy the counterpart. It's the greatest adult children's book in the world. This is basically the same book as "Go the F*** to Sleep", however I look at it like this. "Seriously, Just Go To Sleep" is what you actually tell them, but "Go the F*** to Sleep" is what you really want to tell them. And you will be glad you purchased both. One book to politely(well sorta) tell them to go to sleep and the other to vent when you are done.
VINE VOICEon January 5, 2013
I got this for my daughter and son-in-law, who have a 5 month old daughter. They really seemed to enjoy it and appreciate having it on hand for the future.

It is a great way of putting humor into a situation that can be frustrating. We all look forward to reading this to my granddaughter when she is older. Until then, her parents know they are not alone.

Yes, I also got them the adults-only version of the previous book
on May 1, 2015
I bought this and the original to give to a friend who was moving away. This book was for her three year-old who does not sleep a wink before 11 PM, and the original for her to laugh along. A perfect Parent-and-Child gift. Highly recommend it, if read properly the child will enjoy the pictures and parents can enjoy the humor. An older child (five or six years old) may understand this book a little better and be able to laugh about it.
on July 14, 2012
When censoring is used to create a "safe" version of some creative work, one of two things will happen: either the end product remains enjoyable, or it pathetically fails. This book is an example of the latter.

The outcome of a censored work all depends on how vital the so-called "objectionable" parts were to the original. For example, the safe-for-TV version of "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is still enjoyable, because even after you overdub the film's only two swears and shorten the violent frames, you're still left with a great adventure movie. But when they tried censoring "Scarface" for TV, the result was a hilarious failure. That's because the extremism of it all is precisely what makes Scarface, "Scarface". You simply can't censor it without butchering it. It's strictly an adult movie, not for children or prudes, period. You may as well print an all-text version of Playboy magazine.

It's the same thing with the original #1 New York Times bestseller "Go the [word that Amazon won't let me post] to Sleep", and this censored re-work of it. I spotted "Seriously, Just Go To Sleep" in the store, flipped through it, and was appalled. The magic of the "F" word is what MADE the original book WORK! That simple contrast of American English's most blunt and verboten word, with the innocence of a children's book, is precisely what made the book what it was. Sure it was one-dimensional humor, but it worked. It ultimately spoke to parents who know that frustration of getting a child to go to sleep, and it expressed what these parents really want to say some nights, but obviously can't.

So why oh why would you take that all away? If it's a children's bedtime book you're looking for, there are thousands of other choices out there. Otherwise, it's like trying to buy your family that TV version of "Scarface", or serving Dixie cups of non-alcoholic beer for your kids' birthday party -- what's the point?
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2012
[This review also appears on Andi's Kids Books.]

Adam Mansbach rocked the social media world with his now classic picture book for adults called Go the F*** to Sleep. Anyone who has had to put a child to bed could relate to that bone tired, desperate exhaustion of the adult whose child simply refuses to go to bed, no matter what. You can anticipate every argument the child has to give. One of my favorite parts is when the child is finally asleep and the parents prepare to sit down with their microwave popcorn to watch a movie. As soon as the microwave beeps that the popcorn is done, the child is up again. The parent just gives up and they all try again to go to sleep.

That original version, of course, as not appropriate to read to children, considering its language. So, Mansbach decided to clean up the language and republish his tale as a children's story. The illustrations by Ricardo Cortes are vibrant and just as much fun as in the original, as they are the same.

My only issue with reading this book to children is the fear that it could encourage them to not sleep. A skilled reader, though, would be able to turn it into a challenge for kids and trick them into going to sleep quickly. This is a fun one.

I received an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Hilarious kid friendly version of the beloved Go the F*** to Sleep. It still has all the humor and flair without the choice swear words. It is still a delight to read and will get loads of laughs from both adults and kids alike. It captures the not so glorious part of parenting and the struggle to get your kids to just settle down at the end of the night and go to sleep. I think this is a must for all parents. 5 stars
on January 23, 2013
Got this for both of my sisters, who each have little ones. Didn't want to get the original, becuase eventually the little ones will start reading (and repeating)! This is still very funny, and moms and dads know the meaning.