Customer Discussions > Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog forum

Seriously.....a DVD-R

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 47 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 3, 2008 8:55:06 AM PST
I don't know if that is just to go with the whole on the cheap thing, but hell even one of the releases of Army of Darkness : Bootleg edition pretended to be put as a DVD-R on the disc artwork....eh..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2008 6:44:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2008 6:45:07 PM PST
You obviously do not understand WHY it is on DVD-R. There is no way they can afford to pay for a formal pressing with their own money and that is how this is being produced. Also DVD-R makes it region free so international folks can order as well.

This is NOT A big studio production remember, it has been paid 100% out of pocket by Joss and company. So a formal pressing would be completely cost prohibative. This project has been a experiment from the start and for only 9.99 you are complaining? Come on think about it for a minute before you compalin.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 2:42:32 PM PST
Mark Twain says:
Just three words: Who frikking cares?

Does your DVD player render DVD-Rs... worse than normal DVDs? I guess not... So what's the problem? What's inside is absolutely great, that's all that matters!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2008 6:39:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2008 6:40:04 PM PST
Moray says:
Let's see...
You get a DVD-R with printed artwork and a DVD case with full color artwork for $9.99 but you would rather pay an extra $15 for a pressed DVD? If you were to put the two titles next to each other and mixed them up 99.9% of people could not tell which is which. Your DVD player takes the data bits and plays them just the same on your TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2008 10:45:47 PM PST
Laura Erwin says:
Im not sure, because I dont know anything about this stuff... but is there any quality difference in video or sound between DVD and DVD-R?

I already pre-ordered, and its Joss, so I dont REALLY care THAT much, but I'm just interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 2:00:03 PM PST
no....there isn't a quality difference thats noticable in a dvd vs dvdr. The reason i have a problem with it being on dvd-r is for the sake of it pretty much being illegally distributed very easily once this is released. If you wanna argue Joss Whedon having to pay out of his own pocket...and thats the reason for a dvd-r... please...save it. He's a writer for hit shows buffy, and cult followed Firefly. Writer of Astonishing X-Men, Runaways. he's even got a new show Dollhouse coming soon. He's in the business and could easily get this straight pressed. If it has artwork....fine...but thats not to say nobody can't just print they're own at home on a damn printer if you wanna go with the reason for it on dvd-r still....would that make it more.... home made. Joss Whedon, Neil Patrick Harris and Nathan Fillon all rule, but don't defend this being a joke that its on dvd-r

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2008 5:30:58 PM PST
got to agree with baker here. these guys did it for peanuts. joss didnt even get paid to do this, thats why they were asking peeps to buy the soundtrack so they could afford to actually pay the people that were involved. at 10 bucks, its a deal! i already own a copy, but i am more than happy to pay the money to support future endeavors such as this one. i have already pre-ordered 3, 1 for me, the other 2 as presents. i would pay twice the amount easily just so i can see more of dr. horrible. BUY IT. BUY THE SOUNDTRACK TOO. they need the money.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2008 10:40:36 AM PST
Laura Erwin says:
i just went to CreateSpace.com's website (the site that is producing the DVD) and you actually can have an image on the disc with professional artwork on the front.

so we may be getting a pretty professional looking DVD

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 8:09:08 AM PST
J. Toupence says:
Interesting. If I am doing the math right and reading their policies correct, then Joss and company are making a profit of $3.27 per DVD. I feel good about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008 8:35:55 AM PST
Mr. Prunty,
you do not seem to understand just how expensive it is to produce a pressed DVD. Go look it up. Joss is not a millionaire and does not have the huge amount of money you seem to think he does. I grew up with family in the industry and I have many friends in the industry only a very small percentage of those people make the big bucks, Joss made good money on his shows but trust me when I say there is NO WAY he could afford a pressing out of his own pocket.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 8:09:45 PM PST
Galley says:
FWIW, it's now available in 720p in the iTunes Store for $7.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2008 8:42:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 11, 2008 8:52:07 PM PST
martikate says:
Unfortunately, I don't think that "Mr. Prunty" meant that Joss could pay for it out of pocket, but that he has enough "ins" with the industry to get it done. Which sort of defeats the entire purpose of the endeavor...getting a project like this done with NO studio/industry support. Just people. REAL "indie", as opposed to the "indie" that's out there now. I may be wrong, Prunty may have really thought Joss has money as well as talent flowing from, er, unmentionable places.

Oh, and as far as it being "illegally distributed"...hello, I have a copy from iTunes on my computer. I could potentionally make my own burned disc, copy that disc multiple times on another computer (never tried this, but I'm fairly certain that would get around the multiple copy rules that iTunes has--does anyone know?), and distribute that way. Joss knows that this is a big possibility. He also knows that despite the free version available on Hulu, TONS of people still paid to purchase off iTunes. The low price makes it more likely that people who want it will buy it, rather than bootlegging it. I'm one of them. Joss is respected. He not only worked with fans to get a movie of a canceled, low-rated TV show made, but he made it AWESOME. People worship him. The people who usually bootleg do so not because they are cheap, but as an "FU" to the industry machine... Anyway, I'm beating a dead horse here. I think the sales will speak for themselves.

I do wish, however, that it was being released just a few days earlier. Not wild about having to pay extra shipping to just get it before Christmas. Is it going to be available in any stores, or just online?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2008 5:42:11 PM PST
Nat Gertler says:
A pressed DVD, including standard packaging, is under $2000 for the first thousand copies. Really. Look it up yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 2:06:47 PM PST
I've looked this up myself and also wonder why it's a DVD-R, after about 5 years the ink in DVD-R degrade and they become unplayable, while a professionally pressed DVD will last forever (if you take care of it) Also in a disk for disk comparison you should make a much larger profite with a pressed DVD. DVD-R is often better for low budget becouse it can be made 'on demand' for very little at the expense of more costly (over time) and inferior disks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2008 5:36:19 PM PST
J. Geraci says:
As far as it being somehow "anti-indie" for Joss to use his industry connections to get a professional printing done uber-cheap, uh hello, how do you think he got nathan fillion and Neil Patrick Harris to participate in this? His connections. There is nothing wrong with using your connections to get something done. It is the end product that counts. And even if he had not used his connections, he could have easily afforded a limited run printing. The costs are just not that high. There are many services out there for extremely niche products to get professional printings, and Sing-Along Blog is arguably much more mainstream than many of these products.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 4:00:30 PM PST
Laura Erwin says:
but like all of Joss' work, people find out about if for time to come.

I only got into Buffy LAST YEAR! If there was a limited run printing on Buffy DVDs, I would have never gotten a copy of them 3 or 4 years AFTER the series went out of production.

If Dr. Horrible had a set amount of copies made, then they could end up with not enough or too many. This just seems like the perfect way to fill customer demand quickly and precisely before christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 3:13:53 PM PST
Chris A. Boyer says: "after about 5 years the ink in DVD-R degrade and they become unplayable,"

ROFLMAO.... Man. I must have magic DVD-Rs. Over 5 years old and still 100% perfect. LOL!!! Ink... OMFG.. Don't make me laugh.

"while a professionally pressed DVD will last forever"

Nothing lasts forever young padawan. The shelf life of a DVD is the same as a CD as well as all the DVD Recordable formats.. apx 20 to 200 years depending on the quality of the disk itself. Where did you look this crap up?? Wikipedia??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2008 4:47:33 PM PST
Guy Miller says:
DVD-Rs are NOT region free. Most are, but being a DVD-R does NOT guarantee a region free disc.

All DVD-Rs do NOT have copy protection though (CSS or Macrovision).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 8:37:50 AM PST
S. Shah says:
Has anyone received their dvd, and can you confirm whether the disc is printed with artwork? I know I could print my own if I really wanted, but I have 2 players with slot loading drives, and they have a bit of a hard time spitting out discs with labels on them.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2008 1:04:36 PM PST
The artwork looks great. Honestly, if the description didn't say DVD-R I would not have believed it was. It is not printed on a label any thicker than a studio pressing, and they even got "Dr. Horrible DVD" etched on the inside circle. Honestly does not look like you would have any problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 12:25:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2009 3:08:24 PM PDT
Marc says:
I have the DVD and I have watched it. I don't mind the whole DVD/DVD-R thing. My only disappointment though is that it is burned onto a single-layer 4.7 GB disc as opposed to dual-layer discs most purchased movies are recorded on. Furthermore, from what my PC tells me, only 3.83 gigs are actually utilized on the burn. What does this mean? The picture quality isn't as good as it could've been. The movie as well as the featurettes are displayed in anamorphic widescreen and features 4 total audio tracks (2 commentary, 1 stereo and 1 dolby 5.1). All in all, this means a lot of features are packed into 3.83 gigs so it's not surprising the picture quality isn't great. Much better than the internet version you were watching and probably many of you folks wouldn't see a noticeable difference in quality. Being that this is the only current DVD release of the title, it's more than worth the $10 spent. So, although there is no quality difference between DVD and DVD-R, there is a noticeable one between dual-layer and single-layer due to the decrease in bit-rate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 1:48:51 PM PST
S. Shah says:
I've watched the HD version that's up on Hulu, so I was a bit concerned about having to rebuy the movie if it ever gets a bluray release, but given the low-budget nature of the project (and the high cost of bluray discs), I don't think we'll see a bluray release for a while, if ever. Hopefully the ps3's upscaling makes the movie look good enough for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 10:57:30 PM PST
What does it mean that the disc is only 4,118,085,632 bytes? It means that at a peak data transfer rate of 10 Mbps for DVD-Video formatted data that it cannot contain more than 52 minutes of absolute, top quality video and audio. No movies are actually encoded at that rate except for maybe Sony's Super-Bit releases which used an entire 1.5 Mbps for just the DTS audio track. But anyway, the average bitrate for this release is a reasonable, for the source material, 3.3 Mbps. This rate triples the playback time to nearly 3 hours, and does next to nothing to the quality with today's encoders. Since this presentation is actually only 42 minutes and the extra another 120, that works out pretty well. So it is a single layer disk because there was no need to go to the expense of making it dual layer.

And as for the DVD-R information. I don't know where Amazon got that, or if the initial release was is special and future copies will be made that way (that could make sense, to save on continued large pressings when only a few orders are being made). But the disc I have here in front of me is: silver on the data side (not blue or purple), it says "DR HORRIBLE DVD" in the burst area (were DVD burners can't write), and the booktype shows as DVD-ROM. Not to mention is really looks like a pressed and silk screened DVD. So I believe these, at least the initial run, are not DVD-Rs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 11:00:13 PM PST
Matt says:
Don't worry to much about that. You've gotta remember that most movies released on a dual-layer disc, are also two times as long as this. This is about 45 minutes as opposed to the hour and a half or longer run time that a normal movie would have. Audio and commentary tracks really don't take up too much room. I'm sure you're getting the best quality you can without getting a blu-ray. For such a short show there really is no need for a dual-layer disc. And as for your last question, if there is a noticeable difference between dual-layer and single-layer, there absolutely isn't. The type of DVD doesn't make the quality, the video/audio on the DVD is what makes the quality. A movie has the potential to be better quality on a dual-layer disc, as it obviously would have more room so you wouldn't need to compress the movie quite so much, but there really isn't that big of a difference. It would have been an absolute waste to use a dual-layer disc for this. Even if they had utilized the 4.7GB's available on the single-layer DVD I doubt it'd be any better quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 11:09:01 PM PST
Matt says:
@ Galley...

That's really not to interesting because you could easily find this @ 720P in like June/July, although not sure if it was on iTunes yet or not.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  30
Total posts:  47
Initial post:  Dec 3, 2008
Latest post:  Sep 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog by Neil Patrick Harris (DVD - 2008)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (930)