Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now STEM
Customer Discussions > Minutes to Midnight forum

Seriously, it's not good.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 2, 2007 5:34:52 AM PDT
I work in a radio station and we got a promo of this new album. I was pretty pumped, I am not a huge fan but there have always been some songs I thought were pretty good. Not talking about the mainstream songs either.

This band like many others have unfortunately "found themselves" meaning, this album doesn't sound remotely close to other projects they have released before. Artists are welcome to release what ever they want, it's their band. Consumers beware, long are gone the powerful vocals and rap-synth that was on the previous ventures.

I am sure fans are going to flame me, but they will listen to album, lowering their heads because they know I am right.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 4:20:35 AM PDT
Too bad the album isn't out at all yet. You haven't heard it. It would have leaked. That's how the industry works now.

Also, you're wrong. The powerful vocals are still there. The single, along with "Given Up" and the other two songs they have performed live prove this.

Also, there is rap on two songs. They're trying to grow up and do something new.

That's GOOD that it doesn't sound like their other projects. Everyone complained Meteora was TOO MUCH like Hybrid Theory.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 3:45:51 PM PDT
JadeRSX says:
ranch: i'm not surprised to hear that. And i'm a diehard fan and i'm not gonna flame you, you were just saying what you believed was the truth. I agree almost every band is nowadays "finding themselves". I noticed the powerful vocals are gone. That's because they can't use anything to enhance the sound like they used to, rick rubin wants plain and raw.

Easton" who is this "everyone" you refer to. Could it be "yourself". Before the second album was released, lp kept saying meteora will be different, and more dark etc.. And in fact, I noticed a big difference between the two albums. Although it was pretty much the same genre which the 3rd album is not. I've already heard 3 songs off the album, they are not the same powerful vocals, they are plain and boring just like every other band. Even the lyrics are seriously lacking this time around.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 4:09:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2007 4:11:03 PM PDT
hey people...its called change. if u dont like it move on and stop complaining. by the way, im getting the album with the dvd. does that make the haters cringe! as i said in an earlier review about the album-ive only heard 'what i've done' so far and i like the song. i listen to varieties of music, not just the heavy LP were all used to

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 7:52:20 PM PDT
JadeRSX says:
LOL, you think LP were heavy....and you say you listen to varieties of music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2007 8:40:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 3, 2007 9:05:13 PM PDT
J. Arnold says:
I'm gonna get my opinion out there, so that many people can understand what Linkin Park is NOW. By no means are they the heaviest band you could listen to...Nor are they the heaviest band I listen to. However, compared to their latest album, they used bo be much, much heavier.

Now. In my opinion, does their latest album suck?
Yes and No.

Chester's vocals are no where near the power they reached in previous projects. That may be due, in part, to his vocal chords. Because Chester screamed through out most of his vocal parts in past projects, his vocal chords, might and probably are straining. Which would lead to softer, mellower vocals, now. Don't get me wrong, Chester has an amazing singing voice, no matter what he does with it.

I do like that the rap parts has been some-what "weeded" out. I listen to almost anything, but rap I just can't seem to stand. In their early work, I always wished that Mike would put down the mic and play some guitar more often. Further-more, none of the members of the band are really any good at their instrument. Every single part they play is simplistic. What they can't play on their own instruments is picked up by Mr. Haun. What evidence do I have to back that up, you ask? Watch the DVD to live in Texas. The guitarist (I don't even know his name because he's so horrible) plays one single note and points out to the crowed like his some guitar GOD. There is evidence enough.

Now, I understand that being partly rap influenced is what caught a lot of their following, in the begining. However if they had started with complex guitar playing, sick bass lines, and at least moderate drumming, their following would have progressed much the same way. Leading them to be as popular as they are now...

Those are really the only points I felt need to be expressed. Is Linkin Park anything close to what they used to be? The answer, is No. Is that a bad thing? Again, No. Change is what it is. You can love it...you can hate it...but it does't stop the fact that its happened.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2007 4:24:51 AM PDT
The new album sucks.

If you wanted more of the same.

It leaked last night, I just listened to the whole thing, and it is incredible.

A LOT of people are going to hate it because of how different it is, but this will be a "grow on you" album.

And for the person saying the lyrics on this are lacking, dude, Meteora was just recycled lyrics from the first album. In fact, one of the problems with this is that they STILL didn't get THAT much better lyrically. But they did get better.

Listen to "Hands Held High", a song that about the war or "The Little Things Give You Away" for proof they HAVE grown a little bit lyrically.

This CD is just amazing. I'm on my second listen now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2007 9:17:04 AM PDT
I have not heard the new album yet, but just based off of 'What I've Done' yeah it's different, he's not screaming, no rap, but you know what? I still like it, LP is an amazing band, their music is genius, and a lot of people can't handle it, they don't know how to appreciate how well put their songs are.
I think that their new cd will be good, and if they have changed then it'll be for the better because LP's music is something that can never be copied, there hasn't been a band to contend yet.
Their change is improvement, for the benefit of me, the fans, and the music industry which is getting more and more fake and overproduced, it's nice to have this break form the normal Fergie crap that's all over the radio.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2007 5:09:49 PM PDT
J. Enns says:
this album is crap

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2007 10:41:48 PM PDT
Yeap, not much screaming and rap, even that bit rap left there is not that good. I guess it will take a bit getting used to their softer and more meaningful style. No More Sorrow is my favored. Given Up, Bleed It Out are not bad either. In Pieces, The Little Things are pretty good too after a couple of listening. So overall, worth $10. I think I'll buy it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 4, 2007 10:47:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2007 1:47:39 AM PDT
NineToez says:
I'm listening to it now and it is indeed different from what I thought it would be. I'm in no way saying it sucks like many others have, however even Metallica had to grow up sometime much to the dismay of their loyal followers. Same will happen here with this release for Linkin Park.

All in all, I feel it is a great disc but you just have to have an open mind instead of wishing for another "cookie cutter" version of their previous releases. I'm a HUGE fan of Rick Rubin and have always enjoyed all of his production whether it was the Beasties, SOAD, RATM, or RHCP, his unique signature and blend comes right through on LP's latest.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2007 5:44:26 AM PDT
LisaP. says:
Ya, wow. I can't help missing what's come to be known as the signature Linkin Park sound. I mean, sure, it's great that they want to progress, but when you buy new clothes and get a haircut, it's still you inside. This is like, "Who are you people"? I miss the rap contributions of Shinoda in most of the songs and the 2 he does actually rap on are pretty bad, imo.

The CD isn't a total loss though and there are a couple of really good songs that are still quite different from we've previously known as LP and of course the first single "What I've Done" which is pretty much classic LP without Mike.

I think the strategy should be to listen to this CD and forget that you're listening to LP. Make believe that you're listening to a new band entirely and then decide if you like them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2007 7:33:15 AM PDT
Patrick T says:
Bro, I got the album yesterday too.

I've checked and rechecked, and I guess this is, in fact, Linkin Park.

Doesn't sound like 'em.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2007 7:37:34 AM PDT
all i can say is why do they need to "find themselves" your fans come from what you did before. if every song sounds the same obviously thats the sound people want to hear. i personally thought the screaming and rap were in fact the things that made linkin park great. now im not so sure. i was a HUGE fan and am absolutely praying this is a smokescreen so their real album doesnt get leaked. otherwise i am very disappointed. live long the days of meteora and hybrid theory. those were the glory days. minutes to midnight is no more than the minute to the death of linkin park.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2007 11:09:19 AM PDT
Hehehe, I never buy this "find themselves" staff too, with any band, singer. It's like there is something called "real XXX" hiding somewhere waiting to be discovered. Things change, people grow. The new Linkin Park is as real as the old Linkin Park. It's their music, they're entitled to take it whichever direction their hearts desire, and it's your money, you can spend it on whatever music satisfy you.

To be honest, I do prefer Hybrid Theory and Meteora, but at the same time, I do appreciate they're trying something new this time around.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2007 7:47:34 PM PDT
This is just like when Metallica release "Load". Everyone sitting around like "it sounds like them... but it doesn't sound like them. Hmm,wtf?". And personally, just like "Load" this is where I stop listening to the band. I really tried to find one song I would put on a mix tape, listened to (skipped through) this album three times, then deleted.

Where is the guy that raps? Where's the synth's, the anger? Seriously, this sounds like Nickelback. Did Chester pull off a "G N' R" make a new solo band under the old name? I don't follow them but I own&love their other albums. But until the next one arrives - I'll be switching the radio station.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 2:48:08 AM PDT
I completely agree. LP was my favorite band and if this is all they have to show for their 4 years in the studio then I am afraid I am going to have to find a new favorite band. I love Mike Shinoda...maybe he will come out with more Fort Minor...cuz he needs to start rapping again and chester needs to start screaming again! I too am going to pray my hardest that this is not the real album...but unlike the leak a few weeks ago...this one sounds real...real bad unfortunately!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 9:30:37 AM PDT
Yea I think the whole album is pretty much leaked at this point. Given Up and No More Sorrow are satisfactory IMO. Hands Held High has some lyrics that are worth payin attention to. Some of the slower ones I have to give another listen to really get the full effect. I'm not gonna trip, cuz I know it was some music that I've initially hated but then suddenly was struck by and have loved ever since. I think the problem is, they wanted to evolve but that in an effort to "stay true" to the "LP" sound, they didn't evolve far enough. They didn't take enough chances musically. If they were gonna go for this, I just feel they should've gone all they way. So they are now caught "In between" and apparently now so are their fans. I'm still gonna buy it because at this point at least 50% of the songs are listenable or likeable. I was just hoping for lovable. :-/ Only time will tell, if people will turn their backs on LP, but LP won't be ignored.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 9:47:34 AM PDT
M. J. F. says:
"That guy who raps" shows me you don't follow them closely enough to even care. It's a shame you quit listening to Metallica as well after a certain point. Personally, I think it's immature and selfish to want to keep a band "all to yourself", and want them to never change. They are human beings who get bored doing the same thing all the time. I think any good band would naturally choose to progress a bit in their career from time to time. LP's original fans may be divided over this one, but I think (hope) the more open minded of music critics will respect the band before because of this.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 10:23:43 AM PDT
I intentionally wrote that to show I'm not a HUGE LP fan, they have been to me one of those bands I always rocked to but for some reason never had any interest in getting to know them. And there has to be a better argument to like a band's new album other than "they changed! Rhespekt them1!1!".

How about a good single? That's a reason. And that reason is not to be found with this album.

I welcome change: if it's good! Beck, Red Hot Chili Peppers, NIN, countless others, they all drastically changed but you know what? Their music still sounded good.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2007 9:42:21 PM PDT
So you're sayin Rob Bourdon on drums isn't any good? You must be high... There's no other explanation.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 4:47:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2007 4:53:10 AM PDT
First of all, read the post Mr. Easton. I work for a radio station, I got it early because we happen to be one of the biggest venues in alternative music.

Sorry for the late retort. Those bands mentioned sound good now yes, but not as good as when they started. I am old, I like change only if it's an improvement.

This little forum proved something. You will either dislike their new sound or embrace it. I just happen to like their old way of doing business. They were different now, their music allowing them to stand out, but now in my opinion they are somewhat cookie cutter.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 5:41:39 AM PDT
Maomao Hu says:
Although this is not directly connected to the discussion, "Leave out all the Rest" sounds a bit like Jay Chou's VERY EARLY song "Black Humor". Here's a link:
http://dns.hsps.tpc.edu.tw/%7eb60223/images/%a9P%aaN%ad%db%7b%b6%c2%a6%e2%ab%d5%c0q%7d.mid

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 7:47:03 AM PDT
Curtis B. says:
This CD is terrible. People are using the "growing up" to make excuses for how bad this is. And I am OK with progress and trying to be different from the past. The problem comes in when you COMPLETELEY turn your back on what made you popular and sound nothing at all like you used to. The best part of Linkin Park was how Chester and Shinoda played off one another and that is gone. It didn't have to have a ton of rap elements, but now that all I get to here is Chester's whining (seriously, his voice is weak almost the entire album) it's not very good. Also, two of the slower songs are straight up emo ripped from the hands of crap emo acts like Hawthorne Heights or Senses Fail. So they went a new direction, too bad they couldn't attempt to be original.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2007 10:19:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2007 10:20:54 AM PDT
Damn it, it's not terrible. OK, it's not their best, I agree. They let go a bit too much their fantastic signature sound and went for a bit too generic emo sound. Believe me, this direction puzzles me too. But I think this cd is still head and shoulder above most rock albums and well worth $10.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Minutes to Midnight forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  May 2, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 17, 2007

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Minutes to Midnight
Minutes to Midnight by Linkin Park (Audio CD - 2007)
3.8 out of 5 stars (33)