Published on February 11, 2007 by M. Franklin

2.0 out of 5 stars My guess is that the 30 minutes exercise and reduction in calories are what cause some to lose weight and feel better. Studies d
While I am generally a healthy eater, I sought out this book to help me lose weight gained while on an SSRI. I was given the medication for postpartum depression and was able discontinue it several months ago. However, I gained weight in the last few months of treatment and have been unable to lose it despite eating a generally healthy diet. I thoroughly read this book...
Published 7 months ago by A. Alvis

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a diet that works for medication-induced weight gain!, February 11, 2007
In 1998 I weighed 135 pounds, and struggled with anxiety and bipolar disorder. 2 doctors and several medications later, I am now symptom free, but found my weight often flucuating to as high as 225 - not good for a woman 5'6". The medications that have changed my life for the better, have wrecked my self image. I have tried everything - The Zone, Atkins, Weight Watchers (I gained every week at the meeting), Jenny Craig, 3 personal trainers, 2 nutritionists, and a hospital that told me that because of the medications I take there was nothing they could do for me. My last nutritionist was kind enough to tell me that I needed to eat Slim-Fast 2x a day, and a small dinner for the rest of my life, and work out 60 minutes a day at a minimum. She also indicated that I might be able to take off 15-20 pounds, but probably not all of the weight.

I don't know if my situation is familiar to anyone out there, but I wanted to post to let you know that for the first time I have NO carb cravings. That has been my biggest problem. That and the fact that I am so tired from the medications that I just find it hard to get motivated to workout.

I bought this book thinking that it wouldn't work - nothing ever has. Then I read the study online, and I figured, "what do I have to lose?" Apparently 4 pounds the first week, and 3 pounds the second week on the diet. I have also dropped my calories to 1400 a day (from about 2500), and am now working out 30 minutes a day because I finally have the energy! I was hungry the first 4 days, and now I find myself realizing that I forgot to eat.

The premise is simple: 3 meals and 2-3 snacks. Snacks are all carbs to release serotonin, which helps make you feel full so you aren't as hungry when meal time comes. Breakfast is protein & carbs (1 egg and 2 pieces of toast), lunch is protein and vegetables (chefs salad), and dinner is carbs and vegetables (baked potato or rice or pasta with a salad or raw or cooked veggies). Snack can be lowfat cereal, crackers, biscotti - tons of options. Everything is broken down into easy to reference charts with measurements. No calorie counting is really required. Honestly, it was so easy I thought I was missing something. Plenty of recipes come in the book, but you can also adapt your own.

If you are suffering from medication-induced weight gain, I recommend giving the Serotonin Power Diet a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gluten Free Serotonin Boost, March 27, 2007
As a nutritionist who specializes in helping people eat with food intolerances, such as the gluten-free diet, I particularly love the Serotonin Power Diet for my clients. I have studied for 10 years how diet impacts brain chemistry and the immune system. The idea that the brain contains the master switch to turn off appetite is more than exciting, it is scientifically sound. Research at MIT and elsewhere confirms that Mom was wrong: this diet allows you to spoil your appetite and reap the weight loss and mood benefits. Mom just didn't know about serotonin!

My gluten-free clients initially lose weight as they shift away from wheat-based bread, pasta, cake, and cookies. Some who suddenly cut out all simple carbs experience a drop in serotonin level that leads to mood swings- this is particularly difficult since people who have recently eliminated wheat are also fighting a withdrawal from the mild opiates in wheat protein. I now advise my clients about the principles of the Serotonin Power Diet, to ease them emotionally through this transition period.

The initial weight loss, however, is usually reversed once the client becomes familiar with all the great gluten-free versions of their favorite foods and where to buy them. Gluten-free dieters learn to carry their own snacks with them, so The Serotonin Power Diet, as a snack-based diet, works very well for my clients who want to lose weight. Remembering to eat a gluten-free starchy snack before meals and in the evening is a cinch.

There are so many ways to make this diet gluten-free and, as I advise my clients, include more whole grains. Here are just some ideas: Edward and Sons Brown Rice Crackers, brown rice bread, polenta, baked mochi squares (rice), quinoa, popcorn, corn on the cob, baked corn chips, squash, baked French fries (with skins on), and whole grain cereals.

This diet re-writes that old adage, "fat and happy" - The Serotonin Power Diet results in "thin and happy." And, it's easy to do it gluten-free.

5.0 out of 5 stars This diet has worked perfectly for me for 10 years, January 7, 2007
review

In 1996 I discovered Dr. Wurtman's "Managing Your Mind and Moods through Foods" . I had experimented with almost every popular get well feel good diet and method in a lifelong quest to counter family genes that included diabetes, obesity, and severe bi polar episodes.......Following Dr. Wurtman's suggestions changed my life. It is ten years and I can safely say, Dr. Wurtman has discovered the way we humans can control our appetites and moods...and sleep.......At the core is brain chemistry, self regulated by snacks! Her most recent book, "The Serotonin Power Diet" offers clear and practical and effective ways to manage yourself in very healthy ways......This book should be required reading for anyone embarking on fad diets or who are considering medication for their health or mood problems. William K. Joseph

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Should You Know About Serotonin?, January 22, 2007
If you you are anything like me, you love carbs. With that in mind - what could be better than having a delightful snack consisting of Biscotti, granola bars or popcorn - and actually have them help you lose weight? No, I'm not kidding. The Serotonin Power Diet is designed to teach you about healthy eating - including "timing" your carbohydrate snacks so they can work for, not against, you and your weight. Here's why.

Longtime friends, Dr. Judith J. Wurtman and Dr. Nina Frusztajer Marquis, made a fascinating discovery. Through years of laboratory research at MIT, clinical studies in weight loss and private practice, they noticed, most people - especially women - gained large amounts of weight after taking antidepressants and mood stabilizing drugs. Their passion for understanding the brain's role in controlling appetite led them to locate the nucleus of "emotional triggers" that cause weight gain. Turns out the neurotransmitter, serotonin, (or lack thereof) is one of the most important variables in both weight gain and depression, according to their findings.

What exactly is serotonin? In laymen's terms: It's the chemical that gives your brain and your body a happy satisfied feeling. It also, according to authors Wurtman and Marquis, is the "switch that turns off your appetite." Imagine it - a switch that puts you in control of your weight loss! How to give your brain the serotonin boost it needs? Eating a timed carbohydrate snack before each meal. It's music to this carb-lovers ears!

Authors Wurtman and Marquis remind us that sure we will lose weight quickly on any of the new fancy low-carbohydrate diets, however, most of that weight is water. Once the water has been removed, the body will seek to metabolize precious muscle for fuel. High protein diets also deprive our bodies of the feel good mood elevator serotonin - resulting in both both depression and carbohydrate cravings. This can lead to unhealthy overeating. Authors Wurtman and Marquis do give us the solution, yet be advised - it is not a quick fix. Their Serotonin Power Diet is a 12-week weight loss initiation program, one that will help you lose 1-2 pounds each week without sacrificing muscle. In fact you will be building muscle which, in turn, burns lots of calories and fat - even at rest. Their program is designed to help you feel great and keep the weight off forever - It's a lifestyle.

In my opinion "lifestyle change" is what is missing in most of the quick fix diet programs out there. In my mind - it needs to be recognized that to change patterns and to live healthy is a lifestyle. The Serotonin Power Diet follows this principle. It shows you that you can eat and lose weight without need for depravation, meal skipping or dangerous high-protein diets. The three phase approach it offers, will help you to create a healthy new lifestyle. Too, once you've lost the weight, authors Wurtman and Marquis take you into a maintenance phase that helps you keep your new body for good!

What's more, authors Wurtman and Marquis understand that healthy weight loss doesn't happen in a vacuum. You will need to exercise! They understand that weight loss and exercise work in tandem to achieve lifestyle goals. And to stay healthy, you will need to work an exercise routine into your weekly program. For this reader, The Serotonin Power Diet is a wellspring of healthy cooking ideas and delicious recipes. It can help you work toward finding your bodies' natural instincts and using the power of your mind to work for you.

The Serotonin Power Diet will be even more effective for those who have:
-Tried low carb dieting and found themselves heavier than they were before they started
-Are looking for a lifestyle program that will help them lose weight in a healthy way and be happy about it
-Been using antidepressants and found that they've gained weight even though they were naturally slim before

The three best things about The Serotonin Power Diet in my opinion are:

One: This book is helpful for the scores of people who have found themselves on antidepressants and have gained weight as a result. Authors Wurtman and Marquis show us how to take control over our own minds and change the way we think, as well as describe an eating program that supports a positive thought process.

Two: There is a significant portion of the book dedicated to overcoming the "excuses" associated with exercise and proper eating programs. The Serotonin Power Diet focuses on helping its reader overcome the psychological roadblocks to healthy eating and lifestyle changes. My how we sabotage ourselves before we've even begun! This book helps you to overcome the excuses your critical mind conjures up and gets you right down to the business of first losing weight - then maintaining your new slim and fit figure for life.

Three: I absolutely love that authors of The Serotonin Power Diet discuss and devote a significant portion of the book to exercise and creating an exercise plan in conjunction with healthy eating. They recommend just 30 minutes each day! There is simply no better way to get healthy and stay slender that I know of. It surprises me that very few of the latest and greatest programs marry exercise with weight loss - thank you Drs. Wurtman and Marquis.

A Final Note: The Serotonin Power Diet is a must for anyone looking to lose weight and keep it off. Simply by reading this book you are giving yourself a great education about the body and will have all the tools you need to get off the "dieting" treadmill. It is a roadmap showing you both where you need to go and how to get there. And once you have arrived, you'll simply enjoy the new view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes sense!, January 31, 2013
After going on an antidepressant medication and gaining 30 lbs in 2 YEARS I was desperate to figure out what was going on with my body. This book explains it, is interesting, is easy to read and has helped me lose 6 lbs in 2 weeks without starving and with eating regular food. I was about to give Nutisystem almost $300 and decided to try this. $8.99 beats $300 any day!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Holy mackerel! It really works!, December 8, 2013
This review is from: The Serotonin Power Diet: Eat Carbs--Nature's Own Appetite Suppressant--to Stop Emotional Overeating and Halt Antidepressant-Associated Weight Gain (Paperback)
I am stunned at the success of the Serotonin Power Diet. I have tried everything, religiously, and the weight just kept creeping up no matter what I did. I was dubious but willing to give it a try. This is not a hard diet to follow, but it definitely is different. We in America have learned for years that carbs are the enemy and we should avoid them at all costs. Well it ain't so! Turns out that carbs are your best friend----they allow you to lose weight and feel good and have extra energy that you probably thought wasn't possible and all because carbs generate serotonin, the "magic" ingredient. I certainly didn't think it was possible. This is the most remarkable, life changing diet I have ever encountered.. Just do it---follow Dr. Wurtman's plan and watch what happens. (This review sounds like hype, but it's the solid truth. Try it and see.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Carbs for Dinner Really Works, December 29, 2006
I am now eating carbs at dinner & it feels great - what a relief not to have to avoid them. You feel more satisfied, you don't graze at night, and you even fall asleep more easily. I no longer come home from dinner at a restaurant and then go searching for sweets. This had been my typical habit when I was only eating fish/chicken, vegetables, and no carbs for dinner.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Serotonin Power Diet, April 17, 2010
Carrie M. Kester (Missoula, MT, USA) - See all my reviews
A lifesaver for me! This book answers questions I've asked doctors for 4 years. It is written so it can be understood and it includes recipes and suggestions that everyone can do. I STRONGLY URGE you to purchase this book if you have ever been on a mood altering perscription drug.

5.0 out of 5 stars Antidepressant Weight Gain Reversal Diet, October 4, 2008
I've lost 38 lbs. since I started this diet about a year ago. I hope to lose about 50 more. For years I tried execise and diets to lose but nothing helped me lose much. Because of the info. these authors revealed, I finally am doing what seemed impossible. Two tips help me. I eat a lot of vegetables at my first meal of the day. That way I'm full enough for the remainder of the day that I can keep my second tip. That tip is that I only consume 1400 calories per day. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Losing weight has never been easier, January 29, 2007
This is a great program! I have been following it without any problem and have new insight and understanding into the way the foods I eat affect my mood and my appetite. Carbs are calming. When I am calm I can resist and I don't overeat. It really works. I'm losing weight and I feel wonderful! Onward and downward!