Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Serpentine: Bellydance with Rachel Brice (TWO-DVD SET): Complete belly dancing instructional program, Belly dancing classes with yoga, How-to in Rachel's tribal style belly dance, including full choreographies
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Thank you Scientist Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
on January 7, 2012
So let me first tell you my dance level which definitely affects whether you buy this DVD or not. I would describe myself as an advanced beginner. I took one year of formal classes then moved to a smaller town that didn't offer classes but had a troupe I could join and could pick up tips from more advanced dancers. For example, yes I know what a maya is but nope still can't control my belly undulation very well.

So if you find yourself at my level as an advanced beginner I would say just wait until you get a bit further along in your dance before you buy this DVD. It's just a little bit beyond my level if I am perfectly honest with myself. On the otherhand maybe if I practice it more (without getting frustrated) I will get better....hard to say as I've just had the DVD for two weeks.

Also on another note I do practice yoga and did not love her yoga instruction. I think she is an AWESOME belly dancer and should stick to that instead of aspiring to be a yogini. If you want a yoga dvd sara ivanhoe makes a great beginner one or if you are more advance Shiva Rea is amazing.

So there you go - that's my two cents = )
22 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2012
This is a good dvd . Rachel brice is a very elegant dancer .
It did take me a little while to figure out how to use the video .
It confused me a little because of how the video is set up . I had a hard time
finding the instructional part of the video . I have been bellydancing for two years now . Although I am not I tribal fusion dancer ;I still found this dvd very helpful. The first videos starts with yoga ; then it gets into the instructional part where it starts of easy ,but it does get more intence torwards the end ;then it goes to a shimmy drill ,and ends with yoga again . The secend video teaches the coreography then ends with yoga . I do believe that this video is good for intermediate and advanced dancers only . If you are a sirius dancer , then this dvd is for you . Even if you aren't a tribal fusion dancer this video is still fun ,and still has alout of classic bellydance moves . I have yet to master this dvd ; as I have only used it once so far . It can be hard to keep up with at times . It is good to pause it if you cannot follow along fast enough . Just go to your own pace and practice when you mess up . She does alout of layering that was very hard for me ,and the shimmy drill is hard to keep up with also . The two coreographies are short , but can also be a little complex for an intermediate . I only gave this dvd three stars because it was a little confusing how to start of
with it . I do wish she would have explaned how to do a belly roll more . She didn't realy break that down realy well , but I do recommend this video to anyone who is interested in it . I may have forggoten a few other details about the video , but enjoy .
on June 23, 2014
Most other reviewers have said what needs to be said about this DVD set. There are two DVD's and the first starts off with 10 point check for posture, a proper breathing segment and beginning yoga. It then goes into leg strengthening drills that get progressively harder, a shimmy drill and a bunch of other things. I don't use the second DVD so I can't speak to that one.

I am an absolute beginner, and the first time I tried this DVD set I was completely lost. I own two other DVD's (Bellydance for Beginners with Layla which is AMAZING) and Bellydance Superstars Tribal something or other with Moira, Sherri, Kami Liddle and Samantha. I bought this dvd to improve my basic dance skills since I live in a very small town that does not have any teachers. My background of dance is in ballet from my college classes. So in short, I move as a ballerina would but am trying to do bellydance.

The only sections of this DVD I use are the beginning and ending yoga sections. Everything else, I know I would need to have someone point out to me so I don't seriously injure myself. Even with a dance background, things are still challenging for me. I had to stop after using the leg strengthening drills simply because I could not keep up.

The yoga on it's own is very good, and quite relaxing. It's about fifteen, maybe twenty minutes long. Like I said, it's the only part of the DVD I use faithfully, since I want to get toned and have a strong core before I move on to the more challenging moves. While I can certainly appreciate this DVD, I won't be able to get full use out of it for quite some time, maybe not for years. That was dissapointing. If you are an intermediate or advanced dancer, this might be a good video for you. If not, I would keep looking.

I'm going to try another DVD with Rachel Brice, this one with a specific emphasis on Yoga and bellydance moves explained more in depth. I've gotten to quite enjoy the yoga part of dance (so relaxing and leaves you feeling so good afterwards) so another dvd with a strong emphasis on that with some dance moves explained would probably work very well for me.
on February 2, 2013
I find this to be a great DVD, but it is a bit advanced for where I am at in my practice (I am a casual dancer). It also has a lot of work on your toes and I have some arthritis in my toes, so I have to skip some of the steps. Rachel is a beautiful dancer, with some wild grace! Get this DVD for a great challenge!
on November 17, 2014
This is not a DVD for beginners. There is little to no instruction given in the way of technique. This is more of a practice DVD for someone who has already mastered the basics of belly dance. I found it really maddening that the first DVD tells you to use a set of foot and arms patterns for which no explanation is given. I found out from reading another review that these are explained on the SECOND disc. This is not on the menu either. Also, clear instructions are not given for the layered steps so I found myself having to continually stop and replay the same section over and over to try and figure out what she was doing. A verbal explanation should have been given from the beginning. The format also makes it hard to use this DVD if you have a limited amount of time to practice and want to just pick certain sections. The menu should be broken down into smaller sections.

This set might be useful when I am more experienced in dance but for now I just found the lack of instruction frustrating. I am very confused at the raving reviews given for this disc. As far as an instructional video, I'd give it one or two stars. I'm giving it three because I think it would be a useful daily practice disc for someone who is more experienced in belly dance.
on August 7, 2011
dont let the missing star fool you.. i love this video. the yoga work out alone was worth the purchase. the dance instruction is good.. but not great for a beginner. some of the steps you have to watch closely because she does them so smooth and elegantly you cant really be sure what youve just seen. after a few tries though you can get the hang of it (a mirror is helpful) and its a good feeling work out that leaves you feeling light and relaxed.
I havent tried the choreographed video yet so this is based only on the dance techniques video.

I wanted to update my review as I have gotten more into the different drills. They are not all for beginners. I feel that the instruction in the yoga section is good and the legs section is also fairly good (until the last bit of the work out) However in the shimmy section suddenly the instruction dies off.. she will just give you a VERY general instruction like start with a big shimmy. she never shows how to do the shimmy. it is easy enough to figure out the basic step but the further you get into this exercise the more complex and difficult it is, she doesn't slow down and show you how to do any of it.

Again. Updating. i finally watched the second disc. the Yoga portion is good.. the rest of the disc is worthless to me. HOWEVER! the first disc was worth the money spent, so i don't really feel robbed of anything.
on November 17, 2014
The formatting of the DVD is very inflexible. It is practically impossible to watch the DVD out of sequence. I find this in both the Rachel Bryce DVDs I have. Normally, it is possible to choose the section of the DVD you would like to watch. This is not possible in these DVDs, which makes it very inflexible.
on March 8, 2011
This DVD set deserves the rave reviews for the yoga and drills, but the 2nd DVD with the choreography and whatnot definitely leaves something to be desired. One previous reviewer was spot-on...the music was AWFUL. I couldn't decide if it sounded more like polka music or a mariachi band. My husband walked in the room and asked me if I was listening to a mexican tuba or something. It was THAT bad. It's funny, because during the choreography demo sections, after each combo she puts it to music, and the first two times she does it, she does it to actual GOOD belly dance music. Why can't the entire routine be to the good stuff? Who knows. The first routine (the evil mexican polka) is also quite complicated to learn. I was really looking for some great choreography and probably could have done well with this, but I just can't get past the music enough to learn the routine itself. Seriously. Rachel is awesome, and so fluid and graceful...but dang, next time she needs to pick some better music! :)
44 comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2015
not for beginners.
on June 27, 2011
I've been loving Rachel Brice! This video, while I just started it, looks like the PERFECT introduction to yoga for bellydance, choreography and overall tribal fusion bellydance. Can't wait to do it again!