5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, what's with the bad reviews?!?
Published on March 14, 2012 by Magesk

2.0 out of 5 stars Actually angry with Ms. Harrison
Published on October 10, 2011 by L. Procaccianti

2.0 out of 5 stars Actually angry with Ms. Harrison, October 10, 2011
This review is from: Serpent's Kiss (A Novel of the Elder Races) (Mass Market Paperback)
I loved Dragon Bound. It was an amazing and fresh book, with a good storyline, inventive action sequences, and lively dialogue. I'm a big believer in good dialogue, with characters having a sharp wit, and generally-speaking a touch of sarcasm and humor. The dialogue and action were two of the best things about Dragon Bound. I read in twice, then couldn't wait for Storm's Heart, even though it was out only a few months later. However, I was a little disappointed in Storm's Heart. Sure, I realize not every book in a series is going to be a favorite. But, I missed some of the humorous, witty banter. Tiago and Tricks just didn't seem to have the same chemistry as Dragos and Pia. All in all, I gave it a 4 rating, and I still had high hopes for Rune's story.

Rune was a great character from the beginning of the series. He was funny. He had good dialogue sequences with Dragos, Pia and the others. I had such high hopes for this book that I pre-ordered Serpent's Kiss, and read the entire thing in one sitting (which I normally do for books I'm dying to read). And... I have never been so let down with a book and an author. Rune was turned into some kind of almost cartoonish character, and Carling, whom I actually liked in Storm's Heart, became a weak-minded (and weak-willed) female (and I'm not referring to the "episodes").

But the thing that really got me, that made me furious with Ms. Harrison, is the way Rune treated Dragos. Dragos told Rune in Dragon Bound that he was his best friend, yet at the drop of a hat, Rune not only deserts him but wonders if he'll ever forgive him. And for what, you ask? NOTHING! Dragos did nothing!! He acted as anyone would do in that situation, without knowing Rune and Carling were mated.... because Rune didn't tell him. Then, even though it's affecting the other gryphons, Rune actually neglects to tell Dragos or his other supposedly long time friends about what's going on. I understand needing to protect your mate, but seriously... "bros over hoes" anyone? These are his BROTHERS/SISTERS for all intents and purposes, and he just leaves them out in the dark about a major events (trying not to be spoilerish). At least Tiago was upfront with everyone when he had to leave, so everyone knew it was because he was mating Tricks. Furthermore, Carling didn't even try to intervene, to try and help Rune repair his relationship with the other Sentinels and Dragos. She was truly selfish, basically just accepting Rune giving up everything to be with her as her due.

Pretty soon, Dragos is going to be left by himself with not one of his friends/sentinels to help defend him and his new mate and child. It's sad. Now, I doubt I'll read the new book. It's not even about any characters I have interest in, anyway. I may read Book #5, which is another Pia and Dragos story, but part of me is afraid she's going to ruin two of my favorite characters. I don't know if Ms. Harrison reads these comments, but please, just go back to the winning formula of Dragon Bound -- good snappy dialogue, strong females and action. If I wanted a introspective, sad sack of a female, I'd watch a Lifetime movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very dissappointed, October 6, 2011
I was REALLY looking forward to this book. I really enjoy the world Thea has built in many ways. I read the last two books with enjoyment but they both had gentle heroines that needed rescuing by the big bad wyr. But in Carling, a woman who had raised herself up from slave to queen to the Councillor of the Nightkind through her own merit, determination and strength of character I was excited to finally have a story about a heroine who didn't NEED the big bad wyr to rescue her. I thought it would be a book about the two of them falling in love and her rescuing herself through that process. Or something like that....

I didn't get that. Of all of the things that I thought would happen in this book ... I didn't expect the author to figure out a way to wipe out all that Carling had accomplished herself and attribute it all instead to Rune. But the author did manage to do it. And I am so disappointed that instead of taking the opportunity to stretch herself and write a different story about two people who are equals joining to become an even stronger whole, Thea chose to write the same old story about the boy rescuing the girl.

I don't know if I will read another of book by this author. There is a preview of the next book in the series, Oracle Moon and it is more of the same. Female in trouble needs big strong man to make it all okay. Meh... I've read that. Again and again and again. And frankly I've read it better. I'm not interested in reading a series that just regurgitates the same book one after another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story, what's with the bad reviews?!?, March 14, 2012
I've read a TON of books and always check reviews before buying a new one, I'm very picky about the writing style and intensity I expect from my romance books. I was almost scared off of the series when I read some of the negative reviews about this book. I started reading the series and have loved her books. Dragon Bound was great and so was Storm's Heart. I'm not going to talk about the plot because everyone does, but I thought this book was very possibly the BEST one in the series thus far. Rune we've been waiting since the first book to hear about, and he has a wonderful, charming personality. Carling is a very powerful, strong, gorgeous female and I think it's ridiculous that people are saying Rune saves her, he helps in her journey but she always is powerful and strong. The two of them make one of the sexiest power couple I've ever seen in all the romantic novels I've read. I love Dragos too, and I was really worried when people said that Rune and Dragos had issues, but you know what? Dragos wouldn't even hear him out, he was being rude and totally selfish (which was frankly odd, b/c in his book he doesn't come off like that, but then again he is used to bossing people around.) Keep in mind he has Pia, he is happy and he is one of the strongest beings on the earth, I think he'll survive without 2 sentinels (Rune and T-Bird). I also am fairly certain that in later novels they will be friends again and work together. The author loves both characters and won't keep them in a negative relationship. The love story itself in this book grows and is simply beautiful. It isn't just a hot steamy chemistry thing but also so much deeper than that, he also gets to experience very important parts of her life. On top of that, they do have chemisty that gets your heart pumping and I almost cried at how sweet and romantic certain parts of the book are. Point being, this book is excellent. Please read it, you will be surprised what an incredible love story it is. I honestly think the book would be good enough to turn into a stand alone movie. Booya!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than #2, November 1, 2011
This is the third novel in the Elder Races series and Rune's story, with the Vampyre Queen Carling as his love interest.

I do think this is a much better book than the travesty that was Storm's Heart, but it is nowhere near as good as Dragon Bound. It was okay.

Hands down the best thing about the book was the heroine, Carling. I liked exploring her backstory and her motivations for her actions. She was also a strong, likable character. I did not like Carling from the previous books, but I am surprised to find myself in love with her in this novel. She rocks!

The person that didn't rock, much to my surprise, was Rune. I have loved him through Dragon Bound and Storm's Heart, but that love stopped in Serpent's Kiss. He did not seem funny to me, and all his "cool-talk/witty repartees" missed the mark for me: I found them hollow, unfunny, and sometimes quite disrespectful. Simply put, I didn't like the person Rune was in this book, and I found myself liking him less and less as the book progressed; I did not like the person he became in the end at all.

I was also very disappointed that he did not share the fact of his changing the past with Dragos and the Gryphons, or the fact that he'd mated with Carling (until he couldn't hide it later). His excuse was that he didn't trust them. That doesn't wash with me. You would think you could trust people who had been your friends and comrades in arms for centuries. Especially as they could feel the effects of his changing the past. But apparently Rune's definition of friendship and mine are different.

Another thing that bothered me was the Rift between Dragos and Rune at the end. It just didn't make sense in the grand scheme of things, and I'd have expected Rune to be less of an ass. You don't hide essential info from your closest friends and yet expect them to act as if they knew the entire picture. Needless to say I didn't think he deserved the friendship of the other wyr, much less Dragos' friendship. Dragos did not do anything wrong and acted very fairly, given what little he knew and given that he had the interests of the entire wyr race to consider. Sigh. Rune was so much less than he appeared to be in the other books. Womp.

One final thing that didn't work for me was the love. I loved Carling, and I could see her relationship blossom with Rune. It just did nothing for me - I could see the love but could not feel it. I went into this book worried that Rune would be stuck with Carling, but now I am kinda sad that Carling is stuck with Rune.

Needless to say, I am not too keen on continuing the series after this one. I'll just read Dragon Bound to regain my happy memories and quit while I'm ahead. But I am glad I read this book. If nothing at all, it wiped the bad taste of Storm's Heart from my mouth. (less)

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, November 26, 2011
I am on page 102 and bored to tears. I am so frustrated, that I went and read the reviews to see if others felt the same way. Something I normally do not do so as not to cloud my judgement. It seems nothing interesting happens until page 200. I truly enjoyed the previous two books, but this is really slow. Finally finished the book. It did get better at the end so I'll pre-order the next. The first two thirds were painful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great new series - everything you want in PNR, October 6, 2011
Well written, great characters, fun, sexy, interesting and addictive. Read and re-read the first book, Dragon Bound, could not get enough of the Elder Races. The second book was OK, but it had a lot going on (multiple characters and crazy amounts of action) and was a little harder to digest, so I was hesitant about book 3. So, so bloody good! I think my favorite thing is how realistic the chararcters are and behave despite being completely fantasy-based. Their reactions and dialogue make sense and are all relatable. No overblown angst, roll-your-eyes misunderstandings or absurd plot points. Great new series with a well thought out fantasy world.

1.0 out of 5 stars Done with series., January 3, 2012
I loved the first book in this series...LOVED it. It had everything, exciting plots, great character development, and great hero/heroine interaction. So I was so excited that I didn't have t wait years for the next 2 installations of this series. Heart's Storm was also pretty good, again it had the exciting plot, great character development, and witty hero/heroine interaction which was LOL funny at times. What it did lack was the strong support and bond of the sentinels that was so evident in the Dragons Bound book. Oh, the sentinels were there at relevant events, but they were rather useless really. Warning flags started waving when the other sentinels was not supportive of Tricks and Tiago's union, which strikes me as odd since Tricks and Taigo were both well loved and the Wyr mating-thing only happens once in a lifetime, so shouldn't the event be a momentous celebration. So when this same lack of support/loyalty issue popped up in Serpent's Kiss with drastic consequences, I found it ridiculous and a deal-breaker for me with this series. The lack of loyalty over a slight misunderstanding was so unbelievable, that I actually visualized Rune pouting like a child. I asked myself "huh?! what just happened" and then "you have got to be kidding!" the author couldn't come up with a better story line than that?! Aside from this incredibly stupid story twist, the story is boring. Here you have 2 supposedly incredibly powerful beings and there was absolutely no action, no true evil villian to battle, nothing but petty misunderstanding and hurt feelings. This book struck me as rather amateur-ish. Too many great authors out there in this genre (Meljean Brook, Ilona Andrews, Kresley Cole, Nalini Singh, Patricia Briggs to name a few) to waste my time continuing with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars great romantic urban fantasy, October 4, 2011
Rune Ainissesthal the Wyr Sentinel and dying vampyre queen Carling Severan the sorceress made a deal. To save the life of his friend Tiago, Rune will do Carling's bidding.

Thus he flies cross country from New York to San Francisco. He finds out that Carling is losing control of her paranormal skills due to the serpent's kiss disease that destroys ancient vampyres like her. She invested time and resources to finding a cure, but as time runs out so far her endeavor has proven futile. While her supporters flee in fear of her unpredictable power and others prepare to betray her in a power grab, Rune tries to save the female he is falling in love with.

The latest Elder Race romantic urban fantasy (see Storm Heart and Dragon Bound) is a great tale in which Thea Harrison deftly merges vampyre political and social backstabbing machinations with a cross species romance. Time is of the essence as the Wyr and the Vamp fall in love while her followers either distance themselves from her or plot to speed up her death watch. Serpent's Kiss is an excellent thriller.

Harriet Klausner

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite so far, October 28, 2011
Short and sweet. The mythos is outstanding. She isn't holding punches on how these long lived races might act. I loved the vampire origin especially considering the serpent aspect in different cultures and beliefs. I don't want to share too much for it really was an awesome read for the genre. I especially liked how she played the hopes and regrets of a woman so very old whose very environment forced her to show no weaknesses. Love and kindness isn't a weakness and I liked how she stayed true to how frightning it would be for someone like Carling to open up to the possibility in the beginning but then as her past changed so did those inner walls. I can't wait for the necy book.

I don't mind that the sentinals are leaving NY and Dragos. The book states they're not human in thought or action. They are very ancient loner types who found a treasure they would have never hoped to exist. A godlike force of nature with animalistic instincts would put their mate above all else. It's instinct.

The next book looks to be a real treat. Keep up the good work Ms. Harrison! I'm so glad to have discovered your writing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bummer, October 15, 2011
I loved Ms. Harrison's first book, thought her akin to the great Ms. Nalini Singh, and I enjoyed her second, this one was a huge disappointment. She finally had a strong female lead in Carling, not that the first two ladies weren't strong but Carling was in a league of her own before this book, and apparently Harrison had no idea how to write for her. She has the poor character losing her mind and her past, anything to make her weak I guess so she can lean on the hero. The hero, Rune, supposedly loves this woman but feels the need to tell her to wear heels and jewelry, a new wardrobe, and he actually applies makeup onto her. I don't know if I am more insulted or flabbergasted by that last part. I have never been a fan of making a project out of your mate, either you love them or you don't but please allow me to steal your past and completely change what you look like and now that you aren't you yea um now I love you, well that just isn't love to me. Aside from that, those of you who have worn makeup remember how wretched you looked when you first started, this is something that takes practice, so I rather don't believe that Rune just magically has mad makeup skills. No author can hit it out of the park every time, but this was just a tragic slap in the face to two really cool characters and a true let down having read how great Harrison can write. Maybe it is a strong female lead, some writers just can't handle it sadly, but I hope she gets her game back.

Serpent's Kiss (A Novel of the Elder Races)
Serpent's Kiss (A Novel of the Elder Races) by Thea Harrison (Mass Market Paperback - October 4, 2011)
$7.99 $7.19