4.0 out of 5 stars Servant Leadership in a Nutshell
In this slim volume of 125 pages, the authors manage to distill their thoughts about servant leadership and situational leadership.The format and presentation of the book is pleasant and allows room for reflection.

"Another way to tell a self-serving leader from a servant leader is how they approach succession planning". p.18

An interesting statement...
Published on March 15, 2006 by Alex Tang

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing...
I have been studying servant leadership recently and was excited to read what Kennth Blanchard, author of the "One Minute Manager" would have to say on the topic; especially from a Christian point of view.

Published on February 25, 2006 by Jeffrey E Ellis

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointing..., February 25, 2006
Jeffrey E Ellis (Naperville, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)

I was hoping to find a meaty, substantial book with examples and illustrations from his extensive experience in business and leadership. Instead, "Servant Leader" is merely a collection of quips, quotes, and a few Bible verses.

It is so disappointing when good authors market these tidbit books. Blanchard must have some wonderful insights and knowledge but this particular book is one which offers more milk than meat. The pages are beautrifully illustrated and the color graphics are very professional - it looks great on the coffee table.

However, if you are looking for a fuller treatment of Servant Leadership, I recommend the recent books by James Hunter: "The Servant" and "The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle".

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book but a bit bloated., August 5, 2005
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
The messages of this book are wonderful, however my problem with the book lies in it's production. The publisher data lists this book at ~128 pages. If you were to remove all the glossy, fluffy, and otherwise do-nothing-feel-good stuff (pictures, etc.)this book would be lucky to hit 25 pages. Knowing what I know now, would I have spent the $15 in the bookstore for this book? Probably not for 20-25 pages of solid message/ideas slicky inflated and packaged. Seriously, the authors could have put alot more work into to earn my $15. If you have any doubts about my comments run down to the bookstore and leaf through this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Servant Leadership in a Nutshell, March 15, 2006
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)

An interesting statement as it serves as a test to differentiate a self-serving leader from a servant leadership. The authors were correct to use this as most self-serving leaders will never let go as it is so closely linked to their ego.

"The journey of life is to move from a self-serving heart to a serving heart. You finally become an adult when you realize that life is about what you give, rather than what you get." p.22

An indirect reference to 1 Corinthians 13 where the apostle Paul writes about love. He wrote that as a child, we think like a child but when we are grown, we give up childish things.

"What is your leadership EGO?

EGO- Edging God Out or Exalting God Alone " p.26

An interesting play on the word EGO.

"How to start Exalting God Only:

* Embrace an external perspective of the here and now in light of the then and there.

* Seek to lead for a higher purpose-beyond success, beyond significance-to obedience and surrendered sacrifice.

* Scrupulously assess my level of trust and surrender to what I believe about God, His Kingdom and His claim on my life and leadership." P.40

"Follow The Twelve Steps to Faithwalk Leadership with others in accountability relationship over time.

1. I admit that on more than one occasion I have allowed my ego needs and drive for earthly success to impact my role as a leader-and that my leadership has not been the servant leadership that Jesus modelled.

2. I've come to believe that God can transform my leadership motives, thoughts, and actions to the servant leadership that Jesus modelled.

3. I've made a decision to turn my leadership efforts to God and to become an apprentice of Jesus and the servant leadership He modelled.

4. I've made a searching and fearless inventory of my leadership motives, thoughts, and behaviour that are inconstant with servant leadership.

5. I've admitted to God, to myself, and to at least one other person the exact nature of my leadership gaps-when I behave in ways that do not make Jesus proud.

6. I am entirely ready to have God remove all character defects that have created gaps in my leadership.

7. I humbly ask God to remove my shortcomings and to strengthen me against the temptations of recognition, power, greed and fear.

8. I've made a list of people whom I have harmed in by my ego-driven leadership, and I am willing to make amends to them all.

9. I've made direct amends to such people whenever possible unless doing so would injure them or others.

10. I continue to take personal inventory regarding my leadership role, and when I am wrong, I promptly admit it.

11. By engaging in the disciplines of solitude, prayer, study of the Scriptures, and belief in God's unconditional love for me, I seek to align my servant leadership effort with what Jesus modelled, and to constantly seek ways to be a servant first and a leader second with the people I encounter in my leadership responsibilities.

12. Have had a `heart attack' regarding the principles of servant leadership, I have tried to carry this message to other leaders and to practice them in all my affairs." P.40-14

This 12-step program to become a servant leadership is a powerful use of the philosophy behind the AA's 12 step programs. It assumes that a leader has come to a point where he or she is willing to humble themselves and be a servant leader. Many of us accept intellectually that we are to be servant leaders and force ours to behave thus. That is a recipe for failure as our self-serving self will always win out. As will the AA's program, a leader must be broken before he or she can walk through the program.

"The seven reactions people have to change- and the ways leaders can ease the transition.

1. People will feel awkward, ill at ease and self-conscious when confronted by change- tell people what to expect.

2. People will feel alone even if everyone else is going through the same change-structure activities that create involvement. Encourage individuals to share ideas and to work together to help each other through change.

3. People will think that first about what the have to give up- don't try to sell the benefits of change effort initially. Let people mourn their perceived losses. Listen to them.

4. People will think they can handle so much change at once-set priorities on which changes to make, and go for the long run.

5. People will be concerned that they don't have enough resources (time, money, skill, etc) to implement to change-encourage creative problem solving.

6. People will be at different levels of readiness for any particular change-Don't label or pick on people. Recognise that some people are risk-takers and others take longer to feel secure. Someone who's an early adopter of one type of change might balk at another type of change.

7. If pressure is taken off, people will revert to old behaviours-keep people focussed on maintaining the change and managing the journey." P.66-67

Some of the suggestions given are good. But somehow, it sounds like manipulation to me. Is there no better way for leaders to help their people change without manipulation? Missing here is to tell people why they have to change. Maybe it will be easier if people understand why they have to change. Then the leader will have their full cooperation.

All in all, this is a good read, giving the reader an overview.For more details about situational leadership you will need to refer to their earlier books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for anyone in ministry, June 20, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
Even though I though I had embraced the concept of servant leadership, Ken Blanchard's book called me to the carpet. The concepts were basic but touch to the heart of what it means to serve.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christian Philosophy; Not a Management Book, February 14, 2006
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
I confess that it was my error in ordering this book without first reading the reviews more closely. While this book is excellent in its content, it is not a corporate management book (in my opinion). Instead this book discusses following Jesus as a role model in managing your own life. Numerous quotes from the bible and religious scholars are included. (I always appreciated Blanchard's "One Minute Manager", and I was looking for a treatment of Servant Leadership in a corporate context.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Book in great shape, October 26, 2010
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
Can't imagine how they could sell this book for only 1 penny. It was in brand new condition and came in the amount of time they said it would. Servant Leader is a must read for anyone with integrity and leading in any capacity, from a young parent to COO of large corporation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and Understandable, March 31, 2004
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
Ken Blanchard is famous for making leadership easy to understand and he once again delivers in "Servant Leader." The anecdotes weren't as wonderful as in Shar McBee's book "To Lead is to Empower" but he is clear and understandable. Definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars The truth about leadership, February 27, 2006
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
Finally a book that truly provides insight, skills, and wisdom on what it really means to be a leader here on earth. Everyone is a leader in some way and I highly recommend this book. Being a servant leader is true leadership.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and very easy to read., November 29, 2005
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
Very good book overall. Must have for any Ken Blanchard fan.

Also, might want to take a look at the Wayne Cordiero books. I Bought this book for all my friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Falls Apart!, October 14, 2010
This review is from: Servant Leader (Hardcover)
I am having a very hard time reading this book because the pages are literally falling out of it. I would expect a hardcover book to have much better quality!

Servant Leader
Servant Leader by Ken Blanchard (Hardcover - March 13, 2003)
$14.99 $12.79