Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on January 22, 2012
One of the best things I like about the book is that it contains Vinod & Pinal's trademark simple, flowing language. For engineers already having practical, hands-on experience on SQL Server, this book is a refresher course on the basics. For students, the questions in this book offer a great way to revise things.

Although the name contains the word "Interview", this book is much more than just an interview questions guide. As you start reading the book, what you realize immediately is that this small package covers almost everything under the SQL Server umbrella, and caters to multiple audiences of multiple proficiency levels. The book is a ready-reckoner for every SQL Server developer & administrator. When reading the book, I found myself thinking about a concept that I hadn't touched in a while, or which I was not sure about. In such cases, I went over to the reference links at the end of such questions that are available where one can go to for additional information.

With real world questions and practical answers, this is one book you simply cannot afford to miss. Gift yourself a copy today.

(Read my full review here -[...]
on March 11, 2016
The book costs about 4 dollars (the book is printed in India) and is sold for an astronomical sum in the US. The contents of the book are very good and should be used by consultants to brush up their SQL before going for an interview. I just hate the cost part.
on May 2, 2016
Nice book to start with. This book has relatively low to moderate skill questions and answers. Its a nice refresher. I would recommend this as quick brush up before interview and if you need to drill down on any specific topics you would need to refer SQL authority blog or other mediums on internet/books.

It took me less than 2 hours to do a quick read on 70-80% of the book. I was preparing for developer interview so did not focus much on DBA level questions. I am a experienced SQL professional and have good understanding of various SQL topics.
on February 14, 2013
I was expecting to learn a lot more from each topic. I understand that this is for interviews, but even then I need to
demonstrate some deeper understanding of each topic. An interviewer is also likely to be aware of this book and
would dig deeper to test the understanding.

What I enjoyed was: each topic ended with a url for more details on Pinal's blog. This is awesome.
What I didn't dig as much: where a bit more depth was required, they referred the reader to the Joes 2 Pros book.

So I'd recommend to get the Joes2Pros book, or another book.
on February 10, 2015
For those who are bashing this book for its lack of depth - READ THE TITLE! This is not intended as a far-reaching analysis of the SQL Server Engine or a how-to on become a more adept SQL Ninja. The purpose of this book is to prepare you for common questions that come up in job interviews for SQL Developers, Admins, Analysts and Report masters. It does exactly what it sets out to - I know, because it was a significant component to me landing the offer of my dreams.

Regardless of how much you work with SQL Server there are numerous little details that either get forgotten or may not have been acquired in the first place. Pinal and Vimod address a pretty comprehensive list of questions with brief yet thoroughly accurate responses that will increase a candidate's confidence when it comes to the in-depth challenges of a technical interview. In my case, for instance, being able to say that a TRUNCATE command is "minimally logged" as opposed to "unlogged" (a common misconception) separated me from the pack - a detail that was clarified directly from the book.

This book won't make up for any lack of whiteboard skills (such as writing out queries or designing schemas). You still will have to show your stuff on your own there. I was amazed, however, at the sheer number of questions that came directly out of the book. I knew the gist of the answers for the most part on my own, but Pinal and Vimod helped form my responses in a coherent, confident way. If you are serious about preparation for a career in SQL Server, this book should be an arrow in your quiver.
on June 1, 2016
Like reading a shrewd politician answering reporters - it tries to cover all the angles to make no mistake and yet no original thoughts or point of view. Nothing in depth. It was written to sell other books and websites. So it constantly refers to those places. The actual contents are minimum and unclear. If I use this for an interview, I would be doomed.

I read the "High Performance MySQL" at the same time, a much better book.
on February 15, 2012
Covers basic interview questions.
Does not go deep into the answers for some tricky questions. Ideal for 1st or 2nd interview for any aspiring SQL Server DBA/Developer. I mostly gift this book to my students.
[...]
on October 3, 2014
I've utilized the author's website for many years to help me with sql programming issues. His book helped me prepare for an interview and also understand some concepts. Nice to have everything in one spot.
on April 18, 2014
I did not buy this from Amazon instead of Ebay. But I have to say this is the BEST SQL Server Technical interview book which you should absolutely not miss.

The author gave most of the content for free on his blog site but it is so good and I still bought the whole book. I am very satisfied.
Very high quality book.
on July 2, 2013
Hi,

I have written a detailed chapter-by-chapter review of this book on www DOT i-programmer DOT info, the first and last parts of this review are given here. For my review of all chapters, search i-programmer DOT info for STIRK together with the book's title.

Interviews are the main method used to show your understanding of SQL Server. This book contains commonly asked interview questions together with their answers. Will it help you get a job?

Many of us attend interviews in the hope of getting a job. So potentially this book could prove very helpful in getting you that job, by both identifying the common SQL Server questions asked, and giving you the answers to those questions. I work freelance, having had 13 contracts over the last 18 years, I also regularly interview candidates for SQL Server related roles, so hopefully I'm qualified to say how relevant the questions and answers are.

The book is divided into the following chapters:

*Database concepts with SQL Server
*Common generic questions & answers
*Common developer questions
*Common tricky questions
*Miscellaneous questions on SQL Server 2008
*DBA skills related questions
*Data warehousing interview questions & answers
*General best practices

You can see from the chapter headings the book should be suitable for SQL Server developers, DBAs, and data warehouse specialists...
The book is a good guide to the type of questions you will be asked at a SQL Server interview, and many of the answers given are sufficient, however for some interviews you may need to go a bit deeper, and a few answers need revising. Overall, I think this book will help you get that SQL Server job. Recommended.