5.0 out of 5 stars Bad printing - Updated
My original review:

The book has many issues related to the printing. For instance, page 1 chapter 1:

- Identifyingp roblematicS QLq ueries
...
- Evaluatingt hee ffectiveness of the current indexes
- Avoidingb ookmarkl ookups
- Evaluatingt hee ffectiveness of the current statistics
- Analyzinga ndr esolvingf...
Published on June 28, 2012 by Joseph D. Kennedy

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent content, poor editing, extremely poor printing
Published 16 months ago by AB138

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad printing - Updated, June 28, 2012
Joseph D. Kennedy (APO, AE United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning (Expert's Voice in SQL Server) (Paperback)
My original review:

- Evaluatingt hee ffectiveness of the current statistics
- Analyzinga ndr esolvingf ragmentation
- Optimizinge xectutionp lanc aching

and so on.

This goes through the whole book.

I am returning it to Amazon in hopes to exchange it for a correctly printed book. Will have to see if I get a good one.

9/8/2012 Update:

After talking with the author and publisher via e-mail, they did make things right and helped me get a non-scrambled book.

Way to stand behind your product!

Anyhow, I just made it through the book and it is a worthy investment. I tend to accumulate a ton of tech books that, frankly, don't really help. Either they are too shallow in their coverage of topics or they are for the beginner.

After reading the non-scrambled text, I found there were many things that will help me on a daily basis.

Thanks again for standing behind your book and thanks for the additional knowledge to help me do my job!

4.0 out of 5 stars Outside of type-setting errors, a really good resource and training aid.., June 22, 2012
I am updating my review since it was quite unfair to base my review on look instead of content. I reviewed the book on type-setting alone, but now that I have started reading the book as best I can, I am finding it to be quite insightful and conceptually sound, as opposed to its manifestation in print. I read your 2008 book and could not wait to receive the 2012 edition, so I guess my anticipation and excitement when it finally arrived carried over to my review. I will update my review when I finish the book, but so far I am extremely impressed. Looks like another keeper and great addition to my growing collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my life with Azure SQL Database optimization, June 10, 2014
This was a worthwhile read. Its full of important information about best practices which are absolutely crucial on Azure SQL Database.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of details and good advice, July 19, 2013
Good techniques to tune queries and tune the db. Lots of examples and details. Very good advice on this complicated topic. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another great book by Grant, June 26, 2012
Amazon Customer (FRANKLIN, TN, US) - See all my reviews
I read the previous edition of this book for SQL Server 2008, and there's no doubt in my mind, that was one of the best books on SQL Server ever written. I learned a great deal from it. This new one on SQL Server 2012 is no exception. A must have for any DBA!

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent content, poor editing, extremely poor printing, March 27, 2013
The content of the book is decent, but not overly impressive. It has the benefit of having been released so soon after SQL Server 2012, but you can tell it was rushed out the door. The editing is pretty poorly done, there are a lot of typos. The quality of the printing is extremely poor, all images are of poor quality and it's difficult to make out details. The book could be a four, but the quality of the the editing and printing make it so difficult to read through that I would suggest a pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely satisfied, June 28, 2014
The book is very good in describing the main performance topics from every aspect and gradually builds on each chapter. I have not finished reading it yet, but I am on 70% and I have already managed to detect, analyze and troubleshoot some slow performing queries. I would recommend the book to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - I use this to supplement Microsoft's 10775 course, March 2, 2013
This is an excellent book written in an easy to read style by a knowledgeable author. I use this book (and issue copies to my students) when teaching Microsoft's 10775 course on SQL Server 2012 administration; it lets me turn the course into a more substantial PTO (performance tuning and optimization) class, which is the topic that brings most folks into the 10775 class to begin with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, December 31, 2012
I'm a C++/C# guy and I've always been wanting to attack the SQL DB area but there was no time for it. Finally I had to make time and learn this area and I can say this book did the job fairly well for me. There's a bit of fluffy content that I would have taken out and that's why I rated the book 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, June 26, 2012
I really enjoyed reading this book, which is not easy for a technical book :)
As a BI consultant, tuning SQL queries is not really a my strong suit, but thanks to the insights Grant has given me into query tuning, I can face the DBA's a little better every day.

Longtime SQL veteran Grant Fritchey really did a great job on this book, and I'd be very happy to recommend it where I can.

SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning (Expert's Voice in SQL Server)
$59.99 $55.19