on September 2, 2007
Format: Hardcover-spiral
My daughter and I found this book at our local grocery store and we fell in love with the book. Each recipe includes a really yummy looking photo. Each recipe has a equipment list and shows which steps your child can do, it seems to be at least 2 steps your child can do and the least 1 step.

The book includes 2 pages on introduction on cooking with your child and how it not only creates great food, but great bonding time as well, what to do before you begin, getting ready to cook and a note about nutrition, and children's safety. Some pages have extra tips, information like on page 93" Big Bird's Granny Bird told him that sesame seeds grow in little pods, or seed cases, on flowering plants that can grow very tall. When the seeds are ready to come out of their pod, the pod burst open with a "pop"! A lot of sesame seeds are grown in the countries of India and China": or objects to count with Count von Count and twiddlebugs to find though out the book. After all of the recipe there are more cool snacks, time spent together and things to do to involve your children with decorating the table, help with the theme of the meal and things to talk about during dinner. And it also has 2 pages on Funny Food Faces to create from the book by the same name.

The Sesames Street characters in this book are your favorite characters Big Bird, Burt, Ernie, Cookie Monster, Elmo, Grover, Rosita, Zoe, Oscar, Count von Count and the newest girl on the street Abby Cadabby

Sections in the book:

Little Trees and Sunshine
Magic Golden Zucchini Coins
Sesame Green Beans
Sticky Gooey Syrupy Squash
Me Stuffed Potatoes ( Twice Cooked)

Sweet & Treats
Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies
Best Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Vanilla Cupcakes w/ Pink Frosting
Hooray, It's My Birthday! Chocolate Cake

This is the book to begin cooking with your child! The food looks terrific and what we've tried has been. It was taste tested by children and the author is a nutritionist and food writer. Awesome book!!!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2007
Format: Hardcover-spiral
According to my four-year-old son, there are four food groups: 1. Bananas, 2. French Fries, 3. Cheerios, and 4. Chocolate Milk. We have tried the "just offer healthy food and eventually they will cave and eat it" approach, but believe me, the kid can go for days without eating. Weeks even. He will hold out for a french fry for as long as it takes!

I've really tried to bump up the nutrition in our household lately, and this cookbook has really been helping. I find that if my son has an active part in helping to get meals on the table, he is a lot more likely to eat them, even if they have "green stuff." I also love it that he is learning where his food comes from and seeing the work that goes into having good things to eat. "C is for Cooking" has made the process a lot more fun for him. He loves choosing what would be fun to cook, and the recipes in the book are for meals and snacks that everyone in the family can enjoy. In particular, we really enjoyed Big Bird's ABC Chicken Noodle Soup, and Cookie Monster's homemade peanut butter was just about the best peanut butter we've ever had!

One thing that is great about this cookbook (besides the fun little "Sesame Street" details, such as Big Bird asking you to find the letters of your name in your ABC soup) is that there are cooking steps designated especially for the kids. My son gets really excited about when it's his turn to help!

I can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone with picky eaters or small kitchen helpers in the house!
on July 20, 2007
Format: Hardcover-spiral
i bought this for my 2 year old grand daughter. she loves helping her mom pick out the meals to cook and she eats everything because she thinks elmo likes them.
VINE VOICEon September 3, 2008
Format: Hardcover-spiral
If you're looking for some fun recipes that a kid will enjoy eating, this cookbook is fine. If you're looking for recipes your kid can prepare (or help substantially with), I'd skip this book.

This is a perfectly fine cookbook with nice pictures and recipes for things that kids will probably eat, but I don't think it's well-suited for helping a child learn how to cook. My daughter received this for her fourth birthday, along with an apron and some miniature bakeware & utensils. She loves to piddle in the kitchen, but she really couldn't contribute any more than the usual (stirring, adding ingreadients I had prepared & measured) on the recipes we made from this book. We've made spaghetti pie and asian meatballs-- both were delicious, but they pretty much required adult preparation. Kids of an age to enjoy Elmo can't cook & drain pasta or mince water chestnuts.

The book is good for children to look at -- the photographs of foods are large and simple -- and the things we've made are tasty. I would not recommend this if your primary goal is to have recipes a child can prepare. Elmo and Sesame Street appeal to the pre-school crowd but the pre-school crowd isn't quite ready to cook much-- by the time a child is capable of mastering the recipes in this book, they may well have outgrown Elmo.
on August 4, 2007
Format: Hardcover-spiral
I thought this book was awesome. I would never think of putting strawberry jelly on an omelet, but my daughter loved it when she won't eat normal scrambled eggs. The recipes are simple, fun, and inventive. Most of the foods I make are steered towards the adult palett, so this book taught me a lot. As an important note also, these recipes are pretty nutritious. Low-fat cheese and milk, low sodium broths, and they try to incorporate fruits, vegetables, protein and fiber. I love it.
on February 27, 2014
Format: Hardcover-spiral
We are about to buy our second copy of this book as our first copy has been WELL loved & spilled on more than once. I love that the recipes are all from scratch. My children have liked everything that they have made, or at the very least been willing to try new things. I love that the recipes are not for your typical, overly processed kid food; but, they are still very kid friendly real food. I cannot recommend this book enough. For those who say that their kids can't help. I would beg to differ. My 6 year old made the mini meatloafs by himself, except having me mince the onions & take them out of the oven (he put it in the oven himself). He mixed the meat by hand & shaped the loafs. Just because something says that it is the grownup step doesn't mean your child can't do it. He also made the lemon roast chicken, again with me slicing lemons and mincing garlic, but doing the rest (including separating the skin) himself. I even showed him how to make a roux out of the drippings. My 2 & 4 year olds will often help too, doing mostly the kids steps and some of the grownup steps. I always supervise, but there is no reason my 4 year old can't slice apples if she has been taught to use a knife safely, or peel carrots with a peeler. I have photos of him in the photo section.
review image review image review image review image
Format: Hardcover-spiral
Written by dietitian Susan McQuillian, this is definitely my kids' favorite cookbook. They love reading it even when we're not cooking! They love all the bright, colorful pictures of their favorite Sesame Street characters.

I love the kid-friendly features sprinkled throughout. These include counting activities (special illustrations featuring The Count with ingredients such as eggs or slices of cheese); alphabet and phonic reinforcement (how many words can you find that start with the letter 'B'?); fun food facts (why do bananas turn brown when mashed?); helpful cooking tips and silly jokes.

Recipe steps are marked for age-appropriateness (targeting preschoolers). Safety prevails as a high priority. The book offers a wide variety of recipes, all pretty easy to make. The new 40th Anniversary edition also includes recipes from show guests like Rachael Ray.

My only complaint: there aren't many recipes that can be used for family meals. While my kids may enjoy them, they don't meet the expectations of adults.
on November 14, 2007
Format: Hardcover-spiral
Thank you, Sesame Street! My picky 2 year old ate squash! My daughter loves flipping through this book and asking to make things. She usually turns her nose at any new food, but she is willing to try new things because her favorite characters taught us how to make them.
on August 27, 2008
Format: Hardcover-spiral
I have two toddlers (ages 3 and 2). My 3-year-old is especially picky when it comes to food. I purchased this cookbook in an attempt to broaden her eating repertoire.

The book has sections on drinks, breakfasts, lunches, soups, dinners, desserts, and snacks. The foods are healthy, creatively presented, and relatively easy to make.

The introduction to the book gives a list of typical activities that children ranging in age from 2 to 5 can do in the kitchen. Each recipe that follows includes at least one task that your child can do with you while preparing the dish.

My girls absolutely love this book. They are able to assist me with the age-appropriate tasks, making them more likely to eat what has been prepared. The colorful illustrations of favorite Sesame Street characters keep them busy leafing through the pages while I take care of the "adult" tasks in the recipe.

The creative presentations mean that even my picky eater tries the food. And I have been surprised by some of the dishes that my children love. For example, one of their favorites is Oscar's Egg Drop Soup; I was sure that they would be put off by the eggs, but they wolfed it down and asked for seconds! Other favorites include Grover's Chinese Meatballs with Sesame Rice and Cookie Monster's Peanut Butter and Jelly Thumbprint Cookies. My husband and I also enjoy everything that we've made from this book.

I highly recommend this cookbook. It makes that difficult hour before dinner go a bit more smoothly, and it helps my kids eat a more balanced diet.
on July 5, 2008
Format: Hardcover-spiral
I bought this book to get more cooking activity ideas for my five year old daughter and seven year old son who is on the autism spectrum, and it really helped to get them to participate in cooking various family meals. It was helpful to get them to explore new foods, which is no small accomplishment, since my son is a rather picky eater, partially related to his condition. And the recipes are a lot like the TV show, in that the food was pretty simple, straightforward, and yet enjoyably off-beat.

There are a lot of practical ideas the were new to me that I came away with, such as how cooking can help kids in their development. Or little simple things, like a using a 1/4 cup dry measuring cup makes a good ladle for making pancakes.

Specifically, Oscar's Favorite Fish Sticks allowed my son to try fish for the first time, helping him break out of a self-imposed rigid diet he had, and I think participating in making the dish helped him make this breakthrough. Grover's Little & Adorable Chicken Nuggets also got my kids to eat chicken that wasn't fried or processed food heated up in a microwave. And Cookie Monster's Me-Love-Mini-Meat-Loaves turned out surprisingly good, a really sweet and tangy meatloaf in cupcake form that Daddy really liked, and got my kids turned on to a new dish. While the recipes stand on their own pretty well, it's pretty easy to experiment a little with a couple spices, and perhaps that may help to teach the budding chefs out there how spices can enhance a dish.

Well recommended.