Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

Format: VHS TapeChange
Price:$7.91+ $3.99 shipping

on October 7, 2005
What is up with some of you people going on about how awful it is that Elmo is scared in this DVD. Yeah, he should be. He is in a restaurant when a FIRE starts. That is the whole idea here. Kids should know FIRES are dangerous. My 3 year old loves firefighters. He has 5 fire trucks, a firefighter outfit, a hose, 3 hats and lots of video/DVDs about firefighters. He is a firefighteroholic but, he also appreciates that FIRE is very dangerous and not something that's fun and yippee! On the first viewing of this DVD he turns to me and says, "Papa, Elmo Scared", and I tell him, "Yes he is son because, he is in a restaurant that has a lot of smoke coming out of the kitchen. And he is not sure what is going on". On the arrival of FDNY Elmo, still shaking, is slowly reassured that it is ok to be scared about FIRE and that it is also understandable that the firefighters in all their uniforms can be scary as well. Elmo is then invited back to the firehouse to see what a firefighter does and look at all the gear they need. At the end of the firehouse tour Elmo is no longer scared. So, if you want a good DVD about the dangers of FIRE and what a child should do when a FIRE starts in their presence this is a great DVD to purchase but, if you want your child to live in a dream world where everything is fun and sweet and good enough to eat, stay away from this DVD.
on February 15, 2004
We checked this dvd out from the library a couple of months before our son's second birthday, and we knew right away we would have to buy one for our home. He would wake up in the morning and beg, "Elmo Firetruck House?" He learned all about firefighters and firetrucks. We bought him a firetruck and hat for his birthday and he plays with them while watching this dvd. The firefighters in the video are actual firefighters, and they did a great job of teaching what to do in a fire. We all love this one!
on October 2, 2002
All of the Elmo videos are a hit at our house and when I saw this one in the store I knew it wouldn't be an exception. This video combines two of my three year old daughters great loves Elmo and fire trucks! A can't miss combination. The video starts with a fire at my Mr. Hooppers store. The fire fighters come to put the fire out and everything is fine but the fire makes Elmo sad and worried. I watched this part with my daughter the first few times. She tends to get upset if she sees Elmo upset but she was fine when she got to see that everything turns out okay. To help Elmo conquer his fear the fire fighters invite Elmo to the station to see what they do. The video is packed with great fire safety tips the most important being that if there is a fire your child should not be sacred of the firefighter and should run towards them. It may seem simple advice but it was something I hadn't ever thought to talk to my daughter about. This video can spark important fire safety discussions with your child. The video continues with a firefighter episode of Elmo's world. There is also a segment of Baby Bear's Hero Guy. The fire fighters used in this video are ones from New York City. I always get a little teary eyed when I see them in this video. I can't help but think of September 11th and how three hundred and thirty four fire fighters heroically gave their lives. I find the scene where Elmo asks them if they ever get scared especially poignant. Thankfully my daughter is too young to understand the horror of September 11th and she justs enjoys this videos with the innocence of a child. This is a wonderful video and a great tribute to fire fighters. May god bless and protect the firefighters everywhere.
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2002
The initial story segment where Elmo experiences a fire at Mr Hoopers store, is scary, and you should definitely watch it with your child. The rest of the video does a wonderful job of reassuring and teaching your toddler, and my 28 mo old son who is into anything with wheels just loves the video overall. He does get pretty upset when Elmo is scared initially, but since we never let him watch TV alone, this is not a problem for us. Incredibly educational about fire safety, and scary situations in general. I picked it up on tape and regret the necessity for endless rewinds... So do go for the DVD version.
on November 20, 2002
My 2-year old grandson is completely mesmerized by this video. He wants to watch it all the time - and asks for it by name.
There are so many good lessons to be learned from this production about what to do in case of a fire - and it is directed to the toddler in such a way that not only does it grab his/her attention - but the message that the video intends to convey is done quite well - with subliminal tones.
Be prepared for a different format - an actual trip to the firehouse and a sampling of the life of firefighters with on-camera interviews and interactions. I categorize it as being more educational than pure entertainment - but what a lesson it brings to the little ones!
I shared this video with the day-care that my grandson attends - and all of the little ones (toddlers) were taken with it. The mix of real life and regular Sesame Street life is just right for their level of attention and comprehension.
As a grandparent of a young child - I highly recommend it as a holiday stocking stuffer. It is well worth the cost in terms of life lessons and is certainly appropriate in today's world.
on July 31, 2005
I enjoy this dvd for several reasons; real footage of firefighters, firetrucks and firehouses. Children try on fire uniforms, fun cartoons followed by your typical "Elmo's World" with a fire theme. Lots of sirens, blinking lights and information. Yes, in the beginning of the show Elmo does get scared, god forbid he reflect real feelings. Do we need to protect our children THAT much? I think with Elmo showing he is scared, they are invited to share their scared feelings. Its brief and once Elmo starts meeting more firemen and seeing the firehouse he begins to feel better. It's a great springboard for talking about other feelings besides happy happy joy joy- AND a great start to talking about serious situations. Just as entertaining as other Elmo videos and quite possibly less annoying, than others, for adults. (I don't care for the voice of 'waddle waddle hop hop' and 'itsy bitsy spider')
on October 29, 2002
My toddler and kindergarten age sons both love firefighters, and this video helped them learn about fire safety in the happy confines of Elmo's world. The fire in Hooper's Store was a tad scarier than I thought it would be, but I think it received the seriousness it deserved. My boys were concerned, but seeing Elmo handle his fears was reassuring. Also, they love to sing the fire safety songs, and know to "get low and go" in the event of a fire. We own the video, and I plan to get the DVD as well; a very worthwhile video.
on December 29, 2003
This is a very well done educational (IMHO) DVD. Elmo DOES become scarted, and your child might be scared a bit while watching it, but fire is scarey and it isn't a bad thing to see Elmo scared. Maria is there with him all along, and mom or dad should be with the child when first viewing this DVD...we used this as a spring board to talk about good fires (to cook with, fireplaces etc) and bad fires. Kids even in day cares have fire drills, so they aren't as sheltered as most parents think when it comes to fire. But, having a plan in YOUR home is something that everyone should TAKE time to make. This DVD helps open the door to conversation, and helps kids not be afraid of the firefighter suits. A good point is made, the firefighter tells Elmo even if the firefighter looks scarey, he is there to help, and if in a fire go to the firefighter not away. I also like the "get low and go" tag line it helps us all remember to Get low and Go!
on February 18, 2003
My son is two years old, and He loves this dvd. He requests it by name, and I always sit and watch it with him. He loves Elmo, the firefighters, and even the "fillers" that other reviewers aren't too pleased with.
This dvd is for the entire family -- we can all learn something here.While some reviewers think that 2 yrs. old is far too young, I disagree. With repeat viewings, and there have been many of them, my son, realizes that with fire comes the fire fighters who will keep us all safe, warm, and fuzzy -- Sort of like Elmo.
Elmo is very scared after the grease fire at Hooper's store. His raw emotion of fear truly chokes me up. Never before has a muppet had such an impact on me or my son. Frankie, my son, always points out to me, "he's scared". So, not only is he learning fire safety, but he learning emotion and how to figure out how someone is feeling.
Then after Firefighter Bill takes Elmo around the firehouse, Frankie is relieved to see Elmo back to his usual cute self, playing with the firetrucks like any other kid.
NYFD does an outstanding job helping Sesame Street viewers and residents how to handle the situation should a fire happen. They were very reassuring and were genuinely concerned about Elmo.
I think this is a perfect addition to fans of Elmo, and fans of Fightfighters. There is a sequence of "elmo's World", some other little cartoons and a video with the 3 little pigs and the big bad wolf called, "get out stay out don't you go back in!" and little ones get their turn to show us what firefighters wear and how they feel about them. Mr. Noodles sister comes for a silly visit and figures out what the fighter of the flames must wear to be safe. Also, a beautiful girl and close friend of Elmo's, Sabrina, shows us all her family's plan in case of fire.
My son adores the whole dvd, even the silly Baby bear "hero Guy" that the movie ends with.
on December 22, 2002
This video is very educational. It does start off with a smoke fire in which Elmo gets very scared and begins to shake. This can be scary for a child and I would recommend watching it with your child. (My son is 19 months old and did not find it scary, but he is still very young)It is very realistic and shows children what it would be like if there was ever a fire. It is wonderful and teaches childrn all about firemen and the firehouse and what to do in case of a fire. There are cute songs that teach fire safety, like "Get out, stay out, don't you go back in". Another excellent lesson is that children should not hide from the firemen. In the event of a real fire a child will be terrified and may mistake the fireman for a monster. This movie explains that firemen are there to help and not to be affraid of them.
I don't agree that it should only be shown to children over 3 or 4, because you cannot guarantee your children will not experience a fire before that time. Heaven forbid there is a fire and they are not prepared. Although this movie is a little scary, I think it is definitely worth watching with your child. I think ever house should have a fire plan and discuss fire safety, and this movie helps bring the topic to a toddler's level. After all, the more prepared you are for a fire, the better chance of getting out alive.