5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Helpful
We decided to let my 21 month old daughter watch this prior to hard core potty training so that she would become at ease with the subject. It has certainly helped.

Published on April 12, 2007 by A. Boyd

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment...
Published on October 26, 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and Helpful, April 12, 2007

I was really surprised to read some of the bad reviews. For one, Elmo's Dad does NOT sound like Chef from Southpark. And if he was voiced by Issac Hayes, that would have been great too! His voice brings back fond memories of School House Rock (think "I'm Just A Bill"). If it was intentional, it was genious as his character felt nostalgic to me even though I had never seen him before. Next, there is a segment in which kids yell out what they call poop and pee. It's funny. One of the reviewers was offended but I feel that if my daughter sees big kids and Elmo speaking so comfortably about poop and pee, then it minimizes the stigma and will make her more comfortable about it all. I think that being uptight about poop and pee makes you, well...constipated. And that is counter-productive.

OK, so, the songs are cute. My daughter sings and dances. The language is very clear and comprehensive with subtle side jokes for parents. My daughter gets the message. And it is very very supportive and encouraging which makes me happy. Oh, and Grover is in it, which also makes me happy.

I recommend this Elmo film. We have watched it daily for two weeks and I am not tired of it. Neither is my daughter. She went from pulling her potty apart in play to actually sitting on her potty (clothed). She has also told me that she is almost ready to try to use it. So, we're happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars LIGHTEN UP, PARENTS!, October 25, 2006
I am a 25 year old mother of a 17 month old boy and we absolutely LOVE this video! We are in the very early stages of potty training, and since my son adores all Sesame Street characters, I thought this would be a good supplement to the training that his father and I give him. I have to say that most parents are right to say that there is not a lot of actual "potty footage," but I think that this video is more of a tool to encourage toddlers instead of a graphic "how-to" guide--isn't that our job? The content presented here is highly positive words from Muppets that apparently potty like pros. They discuss wearing diapers, listening to your body, having accidents, and of course, wiping, flushing and washing up. There are segments that do not relate directly to using the potty, but the moral of those clips, I think, is that "it takes time, but you can do anything with practice." I also really appreciate the fact that Elmo's dad is the parent in the show that talks about training with his son--I like to see daddies taking part in important milestones like this. As for terms used to describe "what you put in the potty," if you don't like them, teach your kids what YOU want them to say. Unfortunately for all of you that cringe at a less than proper word being uttered in front of your child, you might as well get used to the idea--if you plan on letting your child spend any time with other kids, they are going to hear a lot worse than the word "dookie." Your influence will ultimately reign supreme. So parents, if you would like a fun and unintimidating supplement to go along with your adventures in potty training, this is a great choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Potty Training, August 29, 2006
My 3 1/2 year old daughter had no interest in using the potty and we tried everything. I purchased this video and it arrived at my house on a Saturday morning. After watching the video my daughter announced that she wanted to put underwear on and she then used the potty for the first time that same day!!! She's been in underwear during the day every day since then and uses the potty consistently.

I highly recommend this video to any parent having a hard time with potty training. Kids can relate to the characters they know and they make it easy for kids to understand.

The best $[...] I spent by far!

5.0 out of 5 stars great for an older toddler, March 23, 2007
Ms M "aaronandlillysmom" (Machesney Park, IL United States) - See all my reviews
for those who need to show the child exactly what to do, this is not the dvd for you. for that i would reccomend the once upon a potty collection. if you have an older toddler, like 2 1/2 and up - this is a great show. my daughter goes on the potty - sometimes when she wants to - but she refuses to give up her pull-ups. this show talks about taking a break to go as soon as you get the urge. it also informs you to wipe and flush and wash your hands. it has catchy tunes, and is typical sesame street format. i would say that this is not a begginer video, but a stage 2 advanced for those who know what the potty is for, and now have to "get it all together." thanks for the help elmo!!

4.0 out of 5 stars very cute video, September 14, 2006
My son is really liking this video. While the video only shows Elmo on the potty in the beginning, it focuses a lot on listening to your body which I like. It has a nice feel of patience about it--it explains to kids that learning how to use the potty is a process, that accidents will happen and that that's ok. The video celebrates potty time and growing up, getting big-kid underpants and going forward at your own pace. Unlike a prior reviewer, I love the part where the different children are talking about the different names they use for pee or poo or whatever your family chooses to call it. One of the things that makes Sesame Street so great is the diversity of people and thought to which it exposes our children. And about Elmo's daddy having an accent? I believe it is what one would call an African American accent. You should have no problem understanding him at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe how effective Elmo is!!!!, September 12, 2006
We recently purchased Elmo's -Potty Time- about a week ago. We started the potty training process by letting her watch the movie a few times a day (Morning, Lunch & in the Evening) I can't believe it, our little girl just got up during the movie and sat on her little potty and went!!! YEAH. I'm sure all your parents out there can relate and understand the amazing feeling of your childs accomplishments.

Good Luck :)

1.0 out of 5 stars What a disappointment..., October 26, 2007
This happily Elmo infested household was hoping for a little more instruction and a little less decoration when it comes down to potty time. Our son (2) has learned his alphabet and numbers in record time by watching Elmo and his Sesame Street friends and so we thought this DVD would help him putting other things in the potty than his toy cars. Regretfully the Sesame Street makers felt they needed to fill the 45 minutes of show time with so many musical skits and talking about getting out of diapers, using training pants and underwear they forgot to actually show Elmo in the process of having to go, sitting on the potty until done, wiping and washing hands afterwards. Could it be that these mundane facts of life are now too close to the realm of unspoken acts for adults to discuss with young children? Maybe the page-sized ad for the Potty Elmo play set in the Printed Parents Guide is a hint you will have to invest a little more to actually see Elmo on the potty (we use the image now to show our son that yes, Elmo has to physically sit on a potty to pee and poo) Even the Interactive Storybook element included on the DVD talks in hurried words about the actual act of using the potty, but the image shown is one with baby Ernie holding his underpants slightly down, bending in front of a potty. If my 2-year old understood full sentences to that degree, we could have told him that without visual aids. And that's what it comes down to: this DVD adds nothing to my son's understanding of the odd little plastic seat and bowl other than that his parents and the whole of the Sesame Street cast seem to bestow it with great importance...until we either show him using the toilet ourselves or find a different DVD that actually is a little more revealing and a little less fluffy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent potty training tool, October 30, 2006
My son just turned 2 and had "0" interest in going potty. He had dropped out of potty training after about 2 weeks of trying around 18 months- he just wasn't ready yet. Anyway, I bought him this DVD for his birthday. He LOVES it and he watches at least once a day. Shortly after his birthday, he also got a terrible diaper rash that was painful to him and I started talking to him about the DVD and about how it would be better to put his "poo-poo" in the potty. Now that his verbal skills are more advanced and that the video helps him use the words he need to tell us when he has to go, he started asking us to go. We talk about the DVD and how Elmo is a big boy and goes potty all the time. He even had an accident during nap one day and was crying about missing the potty and I started singing the "Accidents Happen" song from the DVD and he brightened right up instead of giving up. The point is that the DVD will not potty train your kid for you but it opens up discussion and gives your child words to use. It also makes them feel ok if they have an accident and stresses that the important thing is trying. I think it's very reassuring to my son and he is doing so great now. Also, the songs are corny yet catchy. And, come on, if you can't laugh about Sesame Street being sponsored today by the letter "p" and the number "2"- then you are missing your humor chip! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe better for older toddlers, June 13, 2008
This is a cute video for older children who understand words. There is a lot of explanation and talking about potty time. It's just not that great for younger children who don't follow the dialog. Not that helpful if you're starting your toddler off early.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us! The "push" we needed., November 19, 2006
I bought this for my very stubborn toddler for her third birthday. She watched it several times over the weekend. Monday I began potty-training again, she had a couple of accidents. After that day she was potty-trained. I think it was a combination of several things and not just this video. I have another toddler that will turn 2 in a couple of months and she watches the video and has gained interest in the potty as well. Again I think it's a combination of other things as well.

My kids seem to really like the video. They are watching it now. This is NOT the best for potty-training fundamentals, but will spark their curiosity.

I agree with the other parent with the word "dookie", TOTALLY inappropiate!!!