5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite Sesame Street DVD
Of all the Sesame Street DVDs that we have, this one is definitely my daughter's favorite. Though she is only 15 months old, she now sings bits and pieces and hums the tune to several of the songs on here. When my husband and I try to watch a DVD, she will run over and grab this one and shove at us to put it in so she can watch it.
Unlike some other Sesame Street...
Published on March 4, 2002 by fiddldd3

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly...not good!
I bought this DVD in spite of reading the negative reviews here on Amazon and decided that a 4* average rating was worth it. I was WRONG!

This DVD is SHORT about 30 mins total including the ads! Rouhgly 15 mins running time! Ridiculous!

Published on December 7, 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter's favorite Sesame Street DVD, March 4, 2002
fiddldd3 (Decatur, IL United States) - See all my reviews
Unlike some other Sesame Street DVDs, this one actually has somewhat of a plot. Everyone on Sesame Street thinks that Elmo is going to do a top ten countdown of his favorite songs on the radio, so they all spend the entire time trying to convince him to use their favorite song on the countdown - turns out all Elmo wants is some quiet time so that he can practice his top ten countdown (all he is going to do on the radio is count backwards from 10 to 1.) The songs on here are some favorite kids' songs - I've Been Working on the Railroad, Baa Baa Black Sheep, The Alphabet Song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, Row Row Row Your Boat, She'll Be Comin' Round the Mountain, John Jacob Jingle-Heimer Schmidt, etc. If you only purchase one Sesame Street DVD, this should be it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic kids songs sung by the Sesame Street gang, October 9, 2000
John "John" (PHOENIX, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The premise of this tape is that Elmo has been asked to do a "Top Ten Countdown" on the radio, so all of the sesame street characters want to be sure that their favorite song is included in the "Top Ten." As Elmo travels around Sesame Street, each of them sings their favorite song to (or with) him.
Our two year old is mildly interested in Sesame Street but she seems to really enjoy this tape. The music is lively and there's enough going on to hold a toddler's attention. The tape contains several classic children's songs such as "Row, Row, Row Your Boat", and "I've Been Working on the Railroad." Throughout the tape, the concept of counting down (from 10 to 1) is repeated either by Elmo or a couple of short cartoons. Overall, I highly recommend this tape.
The only negative comment that I have is that the first several minutes of the tape contains ads for other Sesame Street tapes. I find this to be annoying because you have to fast-forward through them each time you want to play the tape. If they have to include them, I wish that they'd put them at the end of the tape.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly...not good!, December 7, 2004
Amazon Customer "dranansi" (Bridgetown, St Michael Barbados) - See all my reviews

Furthermore, I expected Sesame Street classics like Ernie singing "Rubber Ducky", "Yellow Submarine" and so on. Instead we get the Sesame Street version of a few Nursery rhymes and BAD sesame street versions at that.

My One year old who normally stays glued once Sesame Street is on WALKED AWAY after a few minutes! My 6 year old complained that the songs were "not right. They are singing them wrong!" She said. She didn't like it.

This has been a MAJOR disappointment. Better off to by Barney..at least you get FULL time with menus and the children stay interested.

In this instance, the 1 star reviewers got it dead right! This was a total waste of money!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of our favorite Sesame Street videos!, November 3, 2000
What makes this video so good? 1. Elmo! who needs a better reason? Not my 17 month old daughter! Ok, maybe the parents need more reasons... 2. Lots of classic kids' tunes! 3. Teaching counting backwards from 10 to 1 (lots of times!) 4. For those of you who haven't figured it out yet, The Alphabet Song, Twinkle Twinkle, and Baa Baa Black Sheep use the same melody. (I'm ashamed at how old I was when I figured this out!) 5. A Bob Dylan wannabe singing Old MacDonald on the radio at the beginning. (this had my 40-something sister and me in stitches!) What, you need more reasons??? How about it's good, CLEAN fun in video and relatively inexpensive? Or that, as with just about anything Sesame Street, it appeals to a wide range of age groups with short segments, constantly changing?
Not convinced? Ok, buy it yourself--you'll see!

1.0 out of 5 stars 17 minutes of 1970's technology--find an alternative, March 29, 2004
My biggest problem with this DVD is that it is so incredibly short. They claim 32 minutes play time, which is a complete lie. A good part of that is commercials and credits. We clocked just under 17 minutes of actual entertainment. The commercials weren't even good ones that entertain. Credits can also be fun, but not in this movie. The kid is not interested.
My next problem is that the DVD is very old. The audio is chalky. The audio quality sounds as if they took an old video tape and digitally recorded it (as opposed to 'digitally remastered').
There is no menu and no chapters. You can't fast forward to the actual movie, you have to manually forward the movie. It's as if they took an old VHS tape and put in your DVD player. One would think that Sony could invest $20 in software to make the few adjustments necessary.
I think that this DVD is worthless. Do not be taken in by its low price. $1 is too much to pay.

4.0 out of 5 stars Terrific video . . . with one exception!, March 16, 2002
By A Customer
Our two-year-old loves this video! It has helped her to learn classic kids' songs such as "Baa-Baa Black Sheep" and "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star". The video includes all your kids' favorite Sesame Street characters and has a great, easy-to-follow storyline! I do have one warning for parents with very young children: if your kids are not yet well versed in counting from one to ten, you might want to consider holding off on this video. Throughout the show, Elmo is repeatedly practicing counting BACKWARDS from ten to one. This is great for young counting pros, but it seemed to confuse our daughter who had just mastered the first ten digits.

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're going to have songs stuck in your head...., March 21, 2000
This is a nicely structured video that gives Mom and Dad a break from "Rubber Ducky," "Elmo's Song," and other Sesame Street classics. My 21-month-old son really enjoys hearing his favorite Sesame Street characters sing songs that his mommy sings too, like "Baa Baa Black Sheep" and "Row, row, row your boat." It also throws in a nice counting lesson.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Learning Tool, November 23, 2003
F. Norelli "FREDDYN" (Bloomfield, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this DVD with two other ones from Sesame, Counting and ABC's, but this one is the best. I have 20 month daughter that absolutely loves to watch this. Classic children's songs are sung by the characters that my daughter knows and relates to. I have used this DVD to teach her the ABC's, to march, to sing and do hand gestures. She has even learned how to turn on the DVD player with the remote. She looks forward to watching it once a day with me. It's a great tool to use for teaching and bonding. It's so adorable to hear her try to sing along with the songs. I definitely recommend this DVD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Personality disorders abound on Sesame Street, February 7, 2006
This is an excellent video.

I used to loathe Elmo. His squeaky voice and sudden dominance of Sesame Street made me long for the old days of an unseen Snuffleupagus and a mean-spirited Oscar the Grouch. Never did I expect to find him not only enjoyable but the most well-rounded character on Sesame Street. It probably helps that my kid turns out to love the little red monster.

The story begins with Gordon and a cadre of kids and Muppets fixing a bike and listening to the Bob Dylan-esque DJ on the radio. After a rousing rendition of "I've been working on the railroad", the DJ announces Elmo's Top Ten Countdown to be aired later that day. Zoe asks Gordon what a "Top Ten Countdown" is and Gordon mistakes Elmo's countdown for a musical countdown. The misunderstanding continues until the end when it is revealed that Elmo is simply counting down from 10 to 1.

As the story unfolds, Elmo tries his best to find a quiet spot where he can practice before the show. Unfortunately, everyone on Sesame Street wants to get their favorite song played on the radio, so they find ways to seek him out and sway his opinion towards their song.

The Count, in a straightforward and pushy manner, disregards Elmo's pleas for privacy and sings "This old bat" (a reinterpretation of "This old man") up to verse Five. Snuffalupagus, who appears to be suffering from some sort of severe depression and acts passive-aggressively when Elmo tells him that he's too busy to sing, manages to get Elmo to sing "Row Row Row Your Boat".

Later, while Elmo is hiding behind some boxes to practice his counting, Prairie Dawn just happens to be in the area with her singing troupe "practicing" their song "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt". Prairie Dawn, who seems to be a posterchild for A-type personalities, puts the pressure to Elmo in the way that only an overbearing pastor's wife can. Elmo stands around dazed for half the song because he doesn't seem to understand the words. When he finally does catch the tune, he throws himself into the song with abandon. He also realizes that the tune lends itself well to counting down from 10 to 1, and he practices his counting to the rhythm of the song.

He peeks in on Big Bird's nest to see if he can find a quiet place to continue practicing his counting, but Big Bird has also heard about the Top Ten Countdown and is hard at work prepping his Birdkateers for their presentation of "She'll be coming 'round the mountain". Elmo just can't catch a break.

During all this hiding and seeking, Telly is trying to determine his favorite song. He starts off thinking that the Alphabet Song is his favorite, but is unsure as he is also very fond of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. Just as he is about to decide on Twinkle, he bumps into a black lamb who greets him with "Bye bye, Telly" ('bye' is pronounced 'baa'). Telly unwittingly falls into the rascal's trap and responds with "Bye bye, black sheep", and his confidence in his favorite song wavers again.

As Elmo is about to go on the air, everyone on Sesame Street gathers around the main square to hear the radio. Telly, with favorite song in hand, arrives last and is disappointed that he can't present it to Elmo. Instead, he decides to present it to everyone else. The "Alpha-Baa-Baa-Twinkle" Song. Prairie Dawn, sitting at the piano, curtly quips "that's weird". What follows is a butchering of the three songs that needs no mention here. It's apparent that no one liked it, but Gordon, nice guy that he is, tells Telly that he thought it was pretty good. Everyone else, in a 180 degree turn, suddenly agrees and praises the song when just two seconds earlier they were making disapproving looks.

Then Elmo counts down. Everyone listening joins in at Gordon's urging.

The real stars of this show are Gordon, who keeps everyone civil and friendly, Telly, whose constant waffling lets us hear three great songs, and Elmo, who despite being put upon by everyone on Sesame Street, throws himself wholeheartedly into every situation and still manages to count down perfectly on his radio show.

My kid can't get enough of Elmo, and his positive attitude and willingness to speak his mind have changed my mind about him. I totally recommend this video.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite song is Twinkle, Twinkle - no, it's the ABC song, November 11, 2000
Actually... it's all of them! And this video has them! The whole Sesame Street gang takes turns singing famous childrens songs - perfect for short attention spans and energetic toddlers. I highly recommend this tape not only for its entertainment but also for it's educational value.

Rate and Discover Movies