5.0 out of 5 stars Variety and simplicity
Published on August 13, 2001 by Stefanie N

2.0 out of 5 stars Low rating for the navigation
Published on December 2, 2008 by Salmontree

5.0 out of 5 stars Variety and simplicity, August 13, 2001
If you are looking for an introduction to letters for your child, this is a wonderful video. Through entertaining skits and a variety of visuals, the Sesame Street Gang go through the alphabet while coming up with words that begin with each letter. The sequence of photos of street signs and billboards which zero in on each letter in order is a real favorite with our 28-month old and has led to his interest in street signs and letter recognition in our own neighborhood. The pace is leisurely enough for toddlers who are just learning sounds, yet contains enough music and animated sequences to capture the attention of squirmy kids--if you happen to have one of those. Please note: There is no Elmo in this video, which to my mind is a plus but may be a disappointment to rabid Elmo fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the ABC bunch!, April 11, 2005
This is the oldest, and probably the best, Sesame Street ABC video currently available on DVD. Big Bird and Telly Monster take us on a tour of the alphabet, illustrating each letter with a word. Intercut with this material are a variety of classic filmed and animated pieces. These include...

* Leana Horne sings the alphabet song
* Cookie Monster sings "C is for Cookie"
* An animation in which a fairy illustrated words beginning with F
* Kermit shows us how to draw the letter M.
* Cookie and Herry sing an M song about all the tasty food that begins with M.
* Ernie and Bert sing the L song.
* An animation in which a wizard transforms himself into things that begin with the letter R
* Letters Everywhere ( where the individual letters of the alphabet are identified in street signs -- a definite highlight for most toddlers )
* An animation illustrating the letter V in which a villian tries to steal a vase.
* A sweet, low key alphabet animation in which the letters are transformed from a variety of illustrations.

...plus some additional minor animations for letters such as G, H, K & O

The video ends with Luis reading a story about a king who banishes the letter P with predictible problematic results.

The fact that the entire alphabet is recited several times in different and entertaining ways makes this the most thorough, and likely most effective, Sesame Street ABC video. It's also notable that the video packs a great deal of quality material into a mere 30 minutes.

One final note, the video pre-dates Elmo which will be a plus or a minus depeding on your and your toddler's tastes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WONDERFUL video for teaching the alphabet!, August 28, 2002
By A Customer
My 24-month-old son has a speech delay. He knows only about 15 words, even though he's been receiving speech therapy. Imagine my surprise, then, when he started holding up his alphabet blocks this week and saying the names of several letters out loud! I've been playing this video for him every morning while he eats his breakfast, and he's obviously been learning. He can say the names of about eight letters, and can identify most of the rest by pointing if I ask him to. He's now pointing at letters everywhere ... on the box of diaper wipes, in his books, everywhere ... and saying the names of the letters out loud. He loves this video, and so do I. It reminds me of the Sesame Street shows I used to watch when I was a child. (Put it this way ... I like this video so much, I'm buying a second one in case the first one wears out!)

2.0 out of 5 stars Low rating for the navigation, December 2, 2008
Sesame Street has great content, but I am frustrated with the navigation issues (they are the same for many of the Sesame Street DVDs -- read reviews). You are forced to sit through commericals for Sesame Street, you can't fast forward or jump to the main menu. My toddler loses interest while I have to wait until the nav shows up to press the play button. Best to start the DVD and then wander back when you want to see it. A shame they messed it up -- the best kids DVDs go right to the menu.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of educational fun for parents and kids, January 6, 2005
My 21-month old has become a Sesame Street fanatic, with Cookie Monster being his favorite Muppet. He also has loved to recite the alphabet since he was around 16 months old. So I thought that this DVD would be a natural for him, and it was. Unlike the current Sesame Street show that airs on PBS or Noggin, this DVD has a few "retro" skits in it that I remember as a kid growing up in the 1970s (especially Cookie Monster's "C is for Cookie"), and unlike many other children's TV programs (Barney, Jay Jay the Jet, etc.), it doesn't dumb down learning for kids or broadcast midless pap that drives parents nuts. The plot of this DVD has Big Bird and Ernie hosting a celebrity roast honoring Cookie Monster. Some of the humor is right out of old "Muppet Show" episodes! I actually enjoy watching this with my son, and he has yet to grow tired of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST alphabet video on the market!, January 25, 2003
Jackson's mommy (Birmingham, AL United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this tape for my little boy when he was 16 months old.
This is by far the best alphabet movie I have seen to date. It's not all annoying loud songs like so many of the movies are now. My son is allowed to watch one movie per day, and this is usually his first choice. Believe it or not, by 17/18 months he was saying the entire alphabet. His pediatrician was shocked at his 18 month visit! There are lots of neat songs and video clips from Sesame Street episodes from the early 70's I remember myself on this tape!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sesame Street - Learning About Letters, December 1, 2005
I'm an older mom of 4. I'd purchased this video for my first three older children and had since given it away. Who knew I'd have a fourth child so late in life? Knew this video was a must. Glad that I could find it again, every one of my older children learned their ABC's from this video. I remember the 'C' is for cookie sung by Cookie Monster, Bert singing La la la la lullaby and 'O' is for oatmeal, and the king that banished the letter 'P' from his kingdom. I remember this as if it were yesterday and it's been well over a decade! I could not recommend this more, every parent should own one, it really, really works!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Recommended, July 8, 2005
yh132 (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
My daughter knew her entire alphabet before her second birthday thanks to this video. Take that, Baby Einstein!!! I thought that it might be to "old" for her compared with the older Baby Einstein videos like Baby Newton, Baby Nepture, or Baby Shakespeare. This was because there is more explanation and more story line. However, by about 20 months it held her attention pretty well.

There are two clips where they show each of the letters in caps and recite the alphabet. The rest of the time, they are discussing other letters, sometimes in caps and sometimes in lower case. I thought this might be confusing for my daughter but it didn't seem to have any negative effect. For each letter, they also introduce words that start with that letter. You know, like for "A" there is "apple" and "airplane".

You can keep this one on a lot guilt-free. Again, my daughter could identify all the capital letters before 24 months. I kept it on, and then she learned to put all her blocks in alphabetical order, then to type them in order on the computer. (Put the caps on at first, then take them off so they can figure out the relationship with lower case letters. I never had to teach her the lower case letters.) Mind you, she did this on her own without any extra coaching from me. She is 4 months shy of her third birthday and has yet to outgrow this video. I figure if I keep playing it, spelling words will be next.

_Learning About Letters_ is longer and better done than the _Alphabet Number Game_ featuring Elmo. Don't give in to the marketing! Pick this one over Baby Einstein or the more recent Elmo DVDs.

Addition 3/2006: My daughter is 3 now and yes, she has learned to spell some words from this video, like "box" and "yo-yo". She has moved on now to Disney princesses and no longer watches this video avidly, but it did have a good run.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Sesame Street videos of all-time!, May 11, 1998
Here is one of the first Sesame Street home videos, and also one of the best. Each letter is represented, and many are backed-up by classic skits from the early years. "C Is for Cookie" is here, as well as many other favorites! If you can only afford one Sesame Street video, this is one to think about! END

5.0 out of 5 stars Best video my kids ever watched!, March 22, 2001
By A Customer
I bought this video in 1989. My daughter loved this video and watched it over and over again. No kidding...by the age of 18months, she could not only sing the alphabet but could identify the letters!!! I totally attribute this to the Learning About Letters tape! It is great. I now have two more little ones and plan to purchase this tape for the second time!!!