4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Elmo - here's more of the real deal!
This DVD set, released on my 40th birthday, proved the appropriate gift!

But let's get the negatives out of the way first, to explain why I gave it four stars rather than five:

Published on November 7, 2007 by Raul

3.0 out of 5 stars Sesame Street Old School - Volume Two (1974 - 1979)
While the content is amusing and educational for children, I find the the quality of the CDs are dark and colors are not as vibrent as they should be. It is nice to play this in the background instead of nonsense being drilled into toddlers heads.
Published 7 months ago by Laura

4.0 out of 5 stars Forget Elmo - here's more of the real deal!, November 7, 2007
Raul (Pharr, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
This DVD set, released on my 40th birthday, proved the appropriate gift!

1) One reviewer for Volume 1 complained that there was too little material extracted from a six-year period of broadcasts. Unfortunately, Volume 2 presents the same limits.

2) If a Volume 3 is ever released, please omit the Falling Baker skit for the Number Two. With the current two volumes, it's been repeated to death. Give us more variety -- at least treat us to that elusive Number One skit (Baker falling with a wedding cake).

3) Same packaging is used as in Volume 1, with two of the three discs annoying stacked on top of each other.

4) One Super-Grover skit appears to be needlessly edited with recent material.

5) That irritating disclaimer saying the DVDs may not be appropriate teaching material for today's kids. (Might the lobster-trap segment be too un-PC?) My 3-year-old nephew absolutely loves watching Volume 1, so I anticipate the same reception for Volume 2.

Nonetheless, this DVD set almost earned five stars from me for two main reasons:

1) The nostalgia effect was powerful enough to nearly override the negatives.

2) There's one absolutely can't-miss-feature in Disc One -- the test pilot used to pitch the show to PBS! It's one of the freakiest gems in this release, with a heavy and admirable "Soul Train" streak running through the episode, an atypically rude Mr. Hooper, no kids singing "Sunny Day" (it took a moment for me to recognize the voice), and precious animated skits that I wish had been included in Volume 1 (notably Triangle & Square). And is that the actor that I think it is, playing a FOURTH Gordon??!!

As with Volume 1, I nearly cried seeing some skits that jogged bittersweet memories out of my subconscious (horseback mailman delivering an issue of "The Plain Truth" in the outskirts of Kentucky), and some that I thought I'd never see again but which I'm grateful to say I own at last (cows being fed hay in winter). Some material almost unsettled me as a kid but I now find hilarious (King Minus), while some is of just downright laugh-out-loud quality (Grover's show-and-tell with Maria's head).

You'll also find the following: Telephone Rock, I'm a hard-working dog, surprisingly more of Roosevelt Franklin, Cookie Monster in flamboyant Elton-John wardrobe, the moment when Woof-Woof's name was changed to Barkley (a change I voted against as a kid, but which I now can't imagine having occurred otherwise), and one moment when Snuffy came so close to being discovered by David. I could go on! But you'll have to watch for yourselves.

I must admit my hope that, if there's a Volume 3, it's willing to go back and cover more of '69-'74.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sesame Street: Old School, Volume 2 features, August 28, 2007
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
Genius Products picks up the reigns for this second volume of nostalgic Sesame Street episodes aimed at adults who remember the series from their childhood.

The set contains five complete, hour-long episodes from the 6th through 10th seasons, 57 bonus segments, an unaired test pilot, a 12-page booklet with behind-the-scenes information and photos, and a special collectible animation cell from the classic animated segment "Pinball Number Count" featuring vocals by The Pointer Sisters.

Episode content includes the first episode with Roscoe Orman, the actor who still plays Gordon today. Also the first appearance of Muppet characters Rodeo Rosie, Oscar's trashman Bruno, the Two-Headed Monster and Barkley the Dog. Famous songs include "What's the Name of that Song?" and "A Song From Kermit" with celebrity appearances by Judy Collins, Henry Winkler (as the Fonze), Paul Simon, Lily Tomlin, Richard Pryor, Ray Charles and others.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT MATERIAL FOR KIDS...., January 2, 2009
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
Again the disclaimer is on the Old School Sesame Street sets, claiming that some bits may not be suitable for todays children. This must be a joke. Why would anyone find this material unsuitable for any children? This is the cream of the crop right here. I put this thing in for my kid, and he watches in a way he watches nothing else, not even the modern "appropriate" Sesame Streets that are on TV these days. If I had to choose one thing to let my kid watch, it would be these Old School Sesame Streets. Lessons go far beyond the ABC's. Sesame Street old school deals with everyday life in an honest way, it is entertaining and hillarious too. I think so.
The show these days makes an effort, but is bogged down too much with PC values, which make it not as fun as the old schools.
Some of these characterizations are very plainly real, which is what makes them work so well. You have some characters like Don Music, who throws a fit when he cant get his lyrics right, or Jack-Be-Nimble, who is portrayed as a hippie biker type who gets mad at Kermit when Kermit corrects his mistake. "Hey! Get off my case, Frog!" ...by todays standards thats probably not as peachy clean as it should be. But as any kid who grew up with old school version of Sesame Street will know... It's not bad to be mad.

On this set you get the season premieres from seasons 6-10, and bonuses. The thing with sesame street is that it purposely repeats bits all the time, which is the point of the show, so kids dont forget. So as in the first volume, some bits get repeated on the DVD. I would say that a third volume is necessary, staying away from full episodes and just giving us the leftover segments from the first ten years. While the full episodes are cool to have, it is obvious that any more will result in a lot more repeated bits...still, An hour of Sesame Street from the seventies is much more varied with different stuff than todays show which relys very heavily in its commercial characters like Elmo and Baby Bear. In this era there is input from a slew of very talented writers and cartoonists, and musicians and celebrities and filmakers, just tons of stuff to enjoy. I'm still a huge fan of the animal reels and how-they-make-it reels that no longer get played on the show. Remember when they showed us how to make chinese noodles? I find that my four year old gets bored easily with the new stuff on TV, like twenty minute Elmo segments, but is quite in tune with the cut and paste style, and fast moving segments of these shows. I believe it gives a child more of an incentive to see whats coming up next, when the segments are shorter. Sesame Street was right on the money in these days, and cannot be duplicated. Better disclaimers for this set may be, Warning: May encourage Free Thinking and Sense of Humor... Warning: Brilliant Television, may make your kid more fun to be around than most kids... or something to that effect. I really dig it and I'm pretty sure they've made ME more fun to be around. Don't pass it up for your kids just cuz of some lame disclaimer, this IS the real deal.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old School rules!, November 7, 2007
John Profetto (Hamilton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
I couldn't agree more with you Raul.
The first three episodes were chalk full of segments that I remember fondly(I managed to view the entire three discs all in one evening).

But it's still disappointing how they only have one episode from each season.Plus I was also getting annoyed with the repetitive showing of the Baker's # 2 segment,as well as the Jazzy Spies # 2 segment.

It was quite a treat to see the unaired pilot episode.I never even knew such an episode existed.Ernie and Bert's home looked rather strange.

Not only was"Old School"the era before Elmo and Zoe,but before Telli,Grungetta and Gina as well.Olivia is seen in the two later episodes of disc three.

I was also glad to see Buffy Saint Marie in this set.I'm a big fan of hers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, May 11, 2009
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
I have 2 VERY busy 2 year olds, and this video stops them in their tracks. I get an hour or so of quiet time every time they watch it. The best part is, I find myself singing along most of the time. It really takes me back. Not nearly as annoying as so many cartoons are now, and seems more focused on education than current episodes. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars WARNING: the following content contains gratuitous scenes of cookie eating, viewer discretion is advised., July 8, 2008
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
OK, there is some disclaimer at the beginning of this that children these days should not watch this and that it is only meant for adults to reminisce. I assume it is because of cookie monster or something, seems silly to me. I watched this with my toddler and I think it's fine.

I loved watching this with my daughter, old school Sesame Street is so much better than the junk on these days. Most stuff these days are nothing more than CGI with no story or educational/entertainment value (Ice Age, Cars, Skrek, the Disney channel). I really enjoy this because it is very creative. They are on a really tight budget, but they do a good job putting together all sorts of different skits and songs with a lot of variety. And I even get a legitimate chuckle every now and then--unlike the eye-rolling lame jokes on Hannah Montana. This is perfect for kids and adults to enjoy together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure nostalgia!, February 17, 2008
Ronald Doucet (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
Even better than volume one!
You know that nostalgic feeling you when seeing an old clip of the Muppet Show, or an old Disney cartoon you haven't seem since you were 6 years old?
Or even when you see a clip of Indiana Jones or Star Wars and it's like a comfort food that brings you back to that innocent time in your life.

The skits and clips in this collection do just that. They literally transport you back in time, at a point in your life where you live moment to moment, care free and never worrying about tomorrow. The genius of Henson and the Sesame Workshop are more apparent than ever. The characters are more refined and the direction of the series becoming more sophisticated and focused.

You and your kids will LOVE this, it's educational and highly entertaining. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old School is Super-Cool, November 9, 2007
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
Sesame Street Old School Volume 2 is a great look at the glory days of Sesame Street...BE (Before Elmo)!! This time period seems to be when the show really found it's groove, the human cast is superb and I loved seeing Roosevelt Franklin, Herry Monster and other muppet characters you NEVER see on the show these days. While I agree some of the number skits are overplayed, Sesame knew that kids learn by repetition. All in all I find this set truly enjoyable, right up there with Volume 1!! I am really looking forward to the third installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love the Old School Sesame Street episodes!, April 15, 2009
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
My toddlers and I love watching Old School episodes.....(even though they say they are not appropriate for today's pre-schoolers) we enjoy them very much! Would recommend for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grandparent's delight, March 29, 2009
This review is from: Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979) (DVD)
Our grandson, currently 1 1/2, is at a great age to enjoy these Sesame Street programs - Old School Vol. 2 - particularly when he is a little tired or eating. Given that we, as grandparents, also remember this vintage of Sesame Street, everyone enjoys having this on. As a foundation for learning numbers, alphabet/phonics and lots of other stuff, these programs are great. It is fun to have it focused on little ones, but also throw in asides that acknowledge us adults watching. Thanks.

Sesame Street: Old School - Volume Two (1974-1979)
$39.90 $25.11