Customer Discussions > 2312 forum

Set in the Mars Trilogy continuity?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 16, 2012 3:44:14 PM PST
J. Hengenius says:
I read the Mars novels about seven years back and loved them all. I vaguely remember a city called Terminator on Mercury (and now in the synopsis of 2312).

Does anyone know if they're set in the same universe?

Posted on Jan 18, 2012 2:55:19 AM PST
It's been hinted at online, but we may not know for sure until it comes out.

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 5:11:46 PM PST
Mikesapien says:
The book description on the product page for 2312 discusses the mercurial city of Terminator which plays a key role in Blue Mars. I find it doubtful that this upcoming book WON'T draw from KSR's other novels. I expect that we might even see some character cameos.

Posted on Mar 18, 2012 8:21:40 AM PDT
WJ FOX says:
Also, the year 2312 is exactly 100 years after the ending of Blue Mars (2212 AD). Coincidence, eh? ;-)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:11:43 AM PDT
Ryan says:
It's also 300 years from now. I think that was why he chose the year, not the mars trilogy.

Posted on May 5, 2012 6:26:10 AM PDT
A. Whitehead says:
Having finished the novel, I can confirm that book does NOT take place in the same continuity. There are some similarities (such as Terminator, the Accelerando being mentioned and a few other elements), but also several radical differences. Most notably, the colonisation happens a lot later (in the 2060s), the Chinese are involved (which they weren't in the original trilogy) and there's only one revolution, not several.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 3:56:39 AM PDT
S. Watson says:
I tend to have thought any differences were mainly cosmetic. For example the Chinese thing is merely a modern interpretation on China obviously currently being a bigger power now than when the Mars trilogy was written, likewise the former soviet countries have lost a lot of what they had then. The later colonisation so perhaps people take 2312 seriously (cause we are supposed to be sending 100 people there in under 15 years time!!!) Things such as the 'Accellerando', longevity treatments, the song saying something about 'floating about like Peter', Terminator, the Martian and solar system political system, Soletta, the AI's name being Pauline (which was also coincidently Boone's AI name). Other things too. Too many similarities in my opinion to say that its definately NOT in the same universe.
You could also go on and theorise other links (In my mind the main character is a distant relative of Hiroko :). In the end I read it as though it was the same universe and didnt find it to be an issue. Remember it is set 100 years after Blue Mars ended, and while I can agree that the setting is more likely to do with being 300 years from now, in 100 years a lot can happen, as we saw in the MT.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  2312 forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Jan 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson (Hardcover - May 22, 2012)
3.1 out of 5 stars   (322)