VINE VOICEon September 7, 2005
This book was most certainly an easy read, giving step-by-step explanations and instructions for setting up LAMP, that is no where near as intimidating as all the other resources out there. I was quite pleased with it! As you can see by the other reviews, this book has hit the mark!

However, my complaint about the book is that since it is geared more towards newbies to the Linux world, the step-by-step instructions are not completely accurate. Those that follow the book word-for-word will find themselves stuck unless they have a basic working knowledge of Unix/Linux, or know someone that does.

This book uses Fedora as the linux-distribution.

Despite my one complaint, this is one of the easier to read books out there, and I would recommend for anyone new to the Linux world wanting to set up a web server.

Edit (9/27/05): If you prefer to take an easier route than this guide, search google for apachefriends.org or XAMPP. This book will teach you different processes, and go through reasons why certain things are done. While the information is useful, if you do not wish to go that in-depth into the subject, and just get a webserver up quickly, try this method. You will not learn all the intricate step-by-step procedures this book will teach you, but you should have LAMP set up within 10 minutes. Hope this information helps! :)
on September 19, 2004
Linux, qmail, PHP, MySQL and Apache form a rewarding and rock-solid combination. Authors Rosebrock and Filson and the good folk at Sybex deserve accolades for conceiving a book directed at just this combination and bringing it to press.

The distinctive feature of this book is just how readable it is. A myriad choices exist when it comes to Linux distributions and server applications for e-mail, database, web and server-side scripting. In each case, the authors summarize the alternatives and, with focused and generally unarguable judgment, choose the one they consider to be best. Without looking back, they then proceed to guide the reader through its essential installation and maintenance. It is clear they strive to make a system that is well integrated. An example of this is their decision to cover Apache 1.3 rather than Apache 2.0. Although they clearly like what they see in the newer branch, for reasons of interoperability with PHP they select Apache 1.3 for their book.

Rosebrock and Filson serve as trustworthy mentors in the whole process of getting a complete installation up and running. They clearly teach from experience and with an appreciation of the frustrations beginning administrators may face. For example, while admitting the vi editor's power, they have the reader use the friendlier editor pico for basic editing.

In addition to covering the main server applications, this book provides a cursory introduction to auxiliary programs like the various MySQL and qmail utilities. A number of network tools such as nmap and traceroute are given quick overviews. For my part, I think the book should contain more discussion of the secure shell client and server and the process of creating and maintaining public and private keys.

"Setting up LAMP" is a well-written, well-targeted book. May it serve as a guide to a whole new generation of administrators who wish to build a complete, fast and robust web and mail server.
on July 11, 2007
This book was probably great a couple of years ago. It has great step-by-step instructions, and it walks you through things in a very detailed manner.

However, since the versions of all software (and the OS) used in the book have been updated at least a few times since 2004, I ran into several issues. Maybe 10% of all the links are accurate (which you need to install the .rpm files in the way the book tells you to), and when you do find the updated versions of everything, some of the commands the book gives you produce errors. Since the instructions probably worked correctly in 2004, there is no information on what those errors mean or how to fix them.

In short, I'm setting this book aside to find something more recent, and reloading the system I was using to test this with. If you do not have prior experience and a good understanding of how all of these programs work and how to troubleshoot their errors, I would recommend finding a more up-to-date book.
on June 22, 2008
At the moment, don't buy this book. The reason: what is otherwise an excellent book cannot be followed, because the essential steps it takes you through require resources that are not available - ie. the web resources no longer exist. Time is money, and after spending another long day yesterday, running into one dead end after another, one failed work around after another, this book has cost me lots, and I've not achieved anywhere near Setting Up Lamp. The authors/publisher could correct this easily enough, by providing the info on their website. If these issues are corrected, the book is likely to rate differently. Until that time, invest elsewhere.
on December 28, 2005
I've been working on getting my RedHat Fedora 3 working with LAMP. Finally I sat down and spent some dedicated time with this book and got it working.

apache: apache_1.3.33

mysql: 5.0.2-alpha

php-5.1.1

This is my environment I setup and it worked! Good step by step instructions and the quick reference steps in the back of the book were excellent.

Highly recommend.
on September 8, 2004
This book covers all aspects of setting up LAMP, from the basics of a linux install right up to correctly managing MYSQL. While aimed at the first time/new linux user even the old hands will learn something.

Its well laid out in easy to read manner, which is something that linux books are often not.

It also takes the time to explain in simple every day language what something does before you do it.

The book also teaches you good linux administration right from page one.

And to cap it all off they provide a great checklist at the back for setting multiple lamp installs quickly without leaving things out. So after your first lamp system you will be able to fly through your next install!

Hats off to Eric Rosebrock and Eric Filson for a great all around book
on March 4, 2006
One of the things I liked about this book was the amount of detail it had on its subjects, and yet it is not a 1000 page novel. If you just want to have a system running a web server and you don't really care about how it works and what is going on, then this is definitely not the book for you. However, if you really want to learn how these components work together and exactly what is going on, then I do recommend this book. After taking a Linux course, I picked this up and still learned quite a bit from the introduction to Linux chapter. Everything is very clearly written and easy to understand. The only thing I didn't like was that many of the pages are devoted to listing configuration files, but you can easily just skip over these if they don't apply to you.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've been using PHP and MySQL for sometime now, but I've always depended on having a system administrator there to set everything up, costing my small company time and money. Not anymore. I've got to say that this book honestly taught me exactly what I needed to know to setup Linux which I thought I'd never do on my own, it also showed me not just how to get Linux Apache MySQL and PHP installed, but installed right and ready for production.

Two thumbs up for Eric Rosebrock on his second book. I did read the first book he wrote "Creating Interactive Web Sites with PHP and Web Services" which was also a worthwhile read. On this new book, he really did take it to another level. Though-out the book, everything is spoken plainly and with humor so even an old guy like myself can understand and enjoy it cover to cover.

I've read a few linux books in my day, but most seem either too dull or out dated before I even finish. This book was impressive and dealed with new technologies like Red Hat Linux's Fedora core 2. Another thing worth noting was that, although the book is titled Setting Up LAMP, it deals with more then just those components, it's rather well rounded as it deals with setting up a iptables firewall, setting up a mail server and other administration work that normally requires a book in itself.

Hope this review helps those looking for a good LAMP book. In closing, I'd like to say I've since fired my in house linux guru. I can do it all myself now.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2004
This book nailed it! I've read quite a few boring Linux books, but something about the authors way of writing kept me going through this book. Sure it had a lot of technical information, but the authors took time to actually explain it which means a lot.

The book was written off of Fedora Core 2, whcih is fine with me. I've dablled with the other flavors of Linux, but Fedora and Redhat are the quickest and easiest ways to get a server online. Hats off for taking the leap into Fedora!

Qmail... wow! They tackled Qmail head first in this book and most imporantly, it actually works! I am shocked that I was able to fumble through the checklist and get a top-notch Qmail server up and running!

I wish they could have covered the APF firewall at rfxnetworks.com, but the customized Firewall that was discussed in the book is a great starting point and definately does the trick.

GET THIS BOOK! Leap away from the helpless Windows OS and build a REAL server for practially no costs!
on December 2, 2005
I just finished this book and I must say that it is absolutely hands down the best computer book I've ever used. It is well written and doesn't waste 200 pages with a bunch of the author's "humor" like you find in a lot of "user friendly" computer books.

More than just PHP/MySQL/and Apache I was very impressed with the attention given to installing and securing/hardening Linux. The author uses Fedora Core (I used Centos 4.2) and the information is very relevant as the author uses Apache 1.3 (but discusses Apache 2), PHP 5 and MySQL 5.

After I read hte book I was VERY happy to see Appendix A (which I think is worth the price of the book) which is basically a "Quickstart" to installing Linux/PHP/MySQL and Apache and securing them all.

If you want a readable book that is easy to follow with no errors, no wasted pages, and is not out of date; this is the book for you!