4.0 out of 5 stars A different way to play Catan
I have been playing Catan for several years now. My brother, myself, and my parents play every time we get together. So, when I saw this variation I was excited. We finally played it last weekend and the reviews were mixed.

Published on June 26, 2008 by Barno

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone
This seemed like it would add a lot of fun to the game, and it seemed like a great idea. Upon trying them though, it's just not the same. The "events" can be pretty game altering and are not that much fun, adding more random elements to a game I believe is already perfectly balanced in terms of strategy/chance.

You could just use these cards for the numeric...
Published on September 9, 2008 by Josiah Perez

4.0 out of 5 stars A different way to play Catan, June 26, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)

My brother, myself, and my mom loved the variation. My dad hated it. It does change the game a lot, and you need to adjust your strategy accordingly. All of the numbers are represented as they should be. There are six 7s, five 6s and 8s, four 5s and 9s, three 4s and 10s, two 3s and 11s, and one of each 1 and 12. 36 cards total. They give you a "New Year" card that instructs you to reshuffle the deck and start again from the top. The instructions tell you to put 5 cards face down and then the "New Year" card on top of them. Basically you take 5 cards out of deck for that round. It adds a little randomness. When we played, we added more randomness (for my dad) by simply shuffling the "New Year" card in to the deck.

Knowing what numbers will come up changes your strategy. There really isn't a point of putting yourself on an 11 and hoping the dice will save you. Two 11s will come up each time through the deck. You can predict what numbers will come up based on what has already come up. This should change where you put the robber and where you put your cities, if you keep track of the cards that have come up.

So, depending on what kind of games you enjoy you may or may not like this variation. For me, the game was much more "fair" and each player was still in it at the end. I have seen too many games where the dice determine the winner of the game. I get frustrated by this, so I welcomed the cards. My dad is a gambler and enjoys the luck factor. He appreciates the randomness that the dice provide.

I don't think I will play with the cards every time, but it is yet another welcome variation to the Catan game. My favorite is Cities and Knights.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, July 5, 2007
Esther (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)
I very much enjoyed the Settlers of Catan Event Cards. The cards take the place of the dice and work very well. I really like the natural disasters (earthquake and plague) that can occur. It can really mess with planning and strategy but then cards like Year of Plenty gets played and it makes up for some of the bad stuff. Overall, it really didn't seem to change how often the numbers were showing up but it does add a lot to the interactive part of the game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great addition to the Catan game, April 3, 2007
N. Cousino (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)
These cards make a great addition to the game - they replace the number dice and give you different 'events' to resolve for each turn. If you use the Cities & Knights of Catan expansion you still use the event dice, but the cards give you numbers to use in place of the regular number dice. The game play seems to take a little longer using the cards instead of the dice but we think it makes the game a bit more interesting. Recommended for Catan lovers.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, September 9, 2008
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)

You could just use these cards for the numeric portion of them, if the dice really don't do it for you. Although we hated how the dice tend to fall into "trends", we quickly went back to the dice after this. It's just not catan if once in a while there aren't four 7's rolled in a row :)

You may enjoy these cards, they aren't to expensive and are worth a shot if you think you may be interested. Our group of players however, opt to not use them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Removes some of the complaining about dice, May 4, 2008
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)
"6 gets rolled all the time but 8 has only been rolled twice", "maybe we should swap these wooden dice for some of the plastic ones from another game", "12 should not be rolled this many times"

If this sounds like your group when playing Catan then you might want to get some of these event cards. These cards replace dice rolls and provides an even distribution for all the numbers (but still in random order). It takes some of the randomness from the game but it makes it a little more "fair".

Some of the cards also have random events that can give you extra resources or cause you to give resources to other players. They don't effect the game too much but they add a little extra to the "roll" each round.

Overall they are worth the small investment. You can play with them a few times and decide if you like the less random rolls. They are great for groups who often end up complaining about the dice rolls or how they have resources that never generate.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting tweak..., August 23, 2008
Don Walton Jr. (Albuquerque, NM United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)
As a long time Catan player, I was looking for something to spice up gameplay without dropping $40 on another expansion. The Event Cards were a great option.

The cards are drawn from their deck in place of rolling a dice. Regular Catan gameplay is followed otherwise. Several cards have basic gameplay instructions (harvest crops, activate robber, etc.) while adding in new gameplay elements like Earthquakes, Good Neighbors, and Epidemics, among others. The Earthquake for example might damage an existing road, and no new roads can be created until the road is repaired. Another card might call for the player with the largest current army to give production cards to all other players. Or the player with the most ports might get their choice of a free production card.

I wouldn't say gameplay is radically different by using the Event Cards, but the little tweaks are fun. When used with the 'Cities & Knights' expansion, several additional changes are listed on the cards. I have not tried this with the C&E expansion, but it looks to effect gameplay even more than in a traditional game.

My only knock is that the 'roll of the dice' are much more predictable. There are x amount 9's, 12's, etc. So the randomness of the dice is completely absent. If you're sitting on a 3 and an 11, you're pretty well stuck for the duration of the game. On the upside, they'll definitely come up at least once, but not over and over as the dice might provide. It leads to a somewhat stagnant feeling if you have weak placement.

Overall, it's a nice little addition to change up the game for familiar players, and at an affordable price, but is lacking the excitement the regular dice provide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Settler's of Catan pieces, June 8, 2007
This review is from: Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games (Toy)
We've actually not used these cards yet, but love the game. The ability to play the game and expand it makes it a hit with our family. We play the game or a version of it almost every weekend.

Settlers of Catan Event Cards by Mayfair Games