Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Dr. Seuss' How The Grinch Stole Christmas (Deluxe Edition)
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon November 7, 2015
The original 2009 Blu-ray/DVD combo pack of this movie was one of the worst blu-ray transfers of a movie I have ever seen. The picture was extremely dark and difficult to watch.I ended up selling it to FYE and kepy my original DVD from 2001.

This new 2015 "grinchmas" edition is a huge improvement. It has been re-mastered. the picture is much clearer and well worth re-buying.

The only down sides to this re-issue is that there's no DVD Disc (But there is a digital copy) and there's no new features. So those extra scenes that have been seen on ABC Family, still have not made their way onto disc format.

If you're a fan of this movie, I'd suggest buying this "Grinchmas" Edition, even if you have The original 2009 release. The picture quality imporvement is well worth the re-buy
Many kids

Enjoy Christmas

They like it a lot

And this film

Is about the Grinch

Who did not

The film gives the background, and fills in some blanks

The Grinch as a child was subjected to pranks

He fancied a Who, with the name Martha May

He tried to impress her and to his dismay

They laughed at his efforts, his gift and his face

So he destroyed the classroom and fled from that place

Then,

He moved to Mount Crumpet

And made him a home

While the green hairy creature seethed under the dome

Until one cold day at the town Christmas party

When young Cindy Lou showed him how to be hearty

Then Mayor May-Who went and spoiled all the fun

By taunting the Grinch 'til he came all undone

He went up his mountain, and he started scheming

And when he was through he was smiling and beaming

He'd ruin their Christmas; he knew what to do

Revenge is the sweetest when it's overdue

If you've read the story you know how it ends

How the Grinch stole that Christmas from his former friends

So what happened next?

I won't give it away

This Christmas this movie will show every day

So if you're a Grinch you can run, but not hide

As you try to stifle the feeling inside

Just gather the kids for a clean yuletide treat

Merry Christmas to all!

(Now this poem's complete)

Amanda Richards, December 10, 2006
2323 comments|250 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 22, 2000
The new film version of the classic tale "How The Grinch Stole Christmas" has gotten mixed reviews. I went in with my hopes down, not excited by the frenzied trailers and reading comments like "gross out humor" and "charmless"...
In the week that it's been out, I've seen it twice and I'm going back a third time after Thanksgiving dinner...
When all is said and done, "The Grinch" is a wonderful movie; true to the original while taking justified liberties and expanding it, and maybe providing it's own, new unique riches the book and the animated version don't have. This film has been quite unfairly lambasted and compared. I'm sure no one will argue that Charles Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" is more of a classic than "The Grinch," How many versions of THAT do we have? With how many variations and elaborations, from Bill Murry to Mr. MaGoo?
Taken on it's own terms, "The Grinch" is a new holiday classic, hillarious and moving. Jim Carrey is magnificant; absolutely hillarious while always portraying the Grinch as a three-dimensional character, one who (believe it or not) is a grown child nursing a long buried wound. When it comes time to bring that wound to the surface and heal, it's a perfect and moving combination of Carrey, Ron Howard's direction and James Horner's score. Carrey, I think, deserves an Oscar nomination.
Visually inventive, wonderfully acted, it is the best fantasy film in a long time.
A Christmas movie that makes you laugh so hard so consistantly and then move you to tears by the end? Bah Humbug, critics and nay-sayers. A new classic for all ages, for all time.
on October 2, 2002
Its the classic tale of the hate-filled outcast who with time grows to be accepted into society. In this instance, the Grinch, a hideous abnormality that lives off his passion for yuletide misery, is eventually persuaded from obscurity to join the Whos in their picture-perfect village. Under the layers of leathery green skin, Jim Carrey is instantly recogniseable as he writhes and extends his facial features to the limit capturing the loveable rogue stature perfectly. Ron Howard's takes charge of the direction and provides an magical yet comprehendable depiction of the dedicated Whos as they prepare for the festivities. Its not laugh a minute entertainment but it is inventively produced and provides a credible reproduction of Dr Seuss classic childrens stories. Hilarious in parts and cringeworthy in others, this is family fun encroaching upon the the best in DVD entertainment.
on October 26, 2001
For all you Christmas lovers this would be a great film for you. The Grinch is a great film which everybody enjoyed. Children under the age of five might find The Grinch abit frghtening to look at but there is no need to be scared.The Grinch is a nice monster once you get to know him. This film really gets you in the Christmas mood. It would be a great film to watch on Christmas Eve.
I really, really really enjoyed the film. My mum and dad did as well. I can tell you that there not a film person, but they liked this one especially. I would say this is the best film I have seen. If you haven't seen the film yet, you must get it on video.
on December 3, 2009
Well, can't say much more than the above reviewer about the actual movie itself. I am going to go into a bit more detail about the actual product though.
The double pack (Blu-Ray + DVD) is nice for me, as I sometimes watch movies in the bedroom where I only have a standard DVD player. Not much can be said about the DVD, it's just, a DVD really.

How many of you have loved a movie, and can't wait to watch it in HD? Well I think we have all had good AND bad experiences with this. Sometimes colors are left behind, frame rates are messy, and my favorite-terrible sound quality... Not something we want to see/hear when paying top dollar for the newest and "best" format. Then there are the jaw-droppers. You just can't believe your eyes and ears. Are you sure we aren't in the theater? Now that's what we want!

Okay, enough rambling on about Blu-Rays in general. Lets cut to the chase. The Grinch on Blu-Ray is good. Not horrible, not spectacular. You will be impressed, but not blown away. Is the Grinch one of your holiday favorites, like the above reviewer? Then GET THIS BLU-RAY! Is it just "another movie" that you like to have around and might only watch once in a blue moon? Then stick with (or just rent) the DVD version.

Well, that's all I've got to say about Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas [Blu-ray]
VINE VOICEon November 24, 2001
Pretty much all of us know the classic Dr. Seuss story about the Grinch, a somewhat green meanie, who wants to stop Christmas from coming to his local neighbor's, the Who's. Ron Howard's film version starring rubber faceman Jim Carrey simply takes that story and adds a bit more to it (to fill the extra hour and twenty minutes of running time as opposed to the original cartoon version's 25 minutes). I for one love the backstory that was created. I always wondered why did the Grinch hate the Who's so much. What made him hate Christmas? These questions are answered quite well with some well imagined backstory of the Grinch as a child who actually grew up among the Who's, only to be ridiculed and made fun of for his strange appearence and unique behavior. It seems that the Green one became interested in a young girl that another boy liked (and who ultimately would later became the Mayor of Whoville). The film evens goes on to have Cindy Lou Who (who's given a bigger part in the film) question her family's values of what Christmas is really about...presents?...buying stuff?..is that's all it's about?..she wonders. It is she who realizes the good in the Grinch and crusades for him to be head chairmeister at one of the Who celebrations. I'm not sure what other people were really expecting, but this is pretty much what I thought the movie should and would be like. The sets and costumes are amazing..very Seussian! And Jim Carrey?...Well, I personally believe that Jim is great in everything he does and doesn't recieve enough credibilty by critics and certain moviegoers mainly because of where he came from (i.e. comedy and Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, the film that made him a star). I think critics that gave the film a bad review missed the whole point and probably need to watch fewer films 'cause they're obviously burntout! All I can say is the fans have spoken, which is why, despite lukewarm reviews, the film went on to become a huge hit and success back in November of 2000! I will still of course watch the cartoon version, but this version will also find plenty of time in my DVD player as well!
My only gripe with the DVD is that certain special features are too short or missing. The "Spotlight on Location" is barely over 7 minutes long. There are about 5 such featurettes included on the DVD that run between 4 to 10 minutes long. With such an interesting story like "The Grinch", a 60 minute or longer documentary should've been made to really take us inside not just the filming process, but the world of Seuss and Whoville as well. The other disappointment is there is no audio commentary included. I had almost expected one from director Ron Howard, who had always done one for previous Universal Pictures Collector's Edition DVDs (Apollo 13 & EDtv). I really wanted to know more about just how stressful it was on Jim Carrey to wear the Grinch costume. From interviews I've seen by Howard on Late Nite talk shows, Carrey became so tortured that he ripped the mask off his face and walked off the set. He was in the makeup chair everyday for 92 days straight. They had to get a Navy Seal team leader to instruct Carrey on ways of dealing with torture just so he could finish the shoot (no joke). This kind of story deserves much more insight, which is why I'm so disappointed that no commentary is available on the disc. So whenever people say Jim Carrey wasn't good as The Grinch, I scoff and say, "he went through torture to make that movie!" Some people are just hard to please. But don't let it ruin your Holiday Spirit! Add "The Grinch" to your collection today. And catch the special sneak preview trailer of E.T. The Extraterrestrial on this DVD (just before the movie begins), coming only to theaters in March 2002, with added footage, new special effects shots and more!
The Grinch - It's not easy being green.
on November 13, 2012
First I should mention that I love the movie. The problems that I have are with this disc not the movie. First off it says on the cover that Blu-Ray + DVD Combo Pack but there was no DVD. Second off the HD quality is quite low (you can barely tell the difference between this and DVD quality). Lastly and most importantly, this version has a lot of scenes missing. Overall very disappointing.
on November 17, 2000
First of all, let's get the inevitable out of the way... This is NOT the beloved Chuck Jones cartoon everyone grew up with. No one set out to make that film... No one set out to destroy it, either. This grinch flick is it's own... er... animal. Using the original tale as the guideline, Ron Howard's big-budget event movie is more the story of How the Grinch Became Grinchey. Taken on that level, it works well.
The story's plot centers around the charming Cindy Lou Who's search to find Christmas. Surrounded by a Whoville filled with shoppers and decorators, Cindy feels empty about the holidays. The only other Who that shares her distaste for avarice is none other than the green, grouchy resident of Mt. Crumpit. Her investigations lead her to the Grinch, and becomes the catalyst for the Grinch's journey back to Who-dom.
Some may find the back story disrespectful to the original tale, but I did not. In fact, I feel this movie could not have been made without this fleshing out of the characters. Those who disagree should know that Dr. Seuss' widow had FULL approval on the final product, and she is very proud of what has been done.
This movie is irreverently funny, but Jim Carrey's massive abilities pull off the Grinch's transformation. I was surprised that a film that broke the fourth wall so often could be so charming. But you really believe in the characters, and you cheer for them as they realize the true meaning of Christmas.
Those looking for solid holiday fun would do well with this movie... It's a magical, imaginative, colorful, and lushly scored work of art. Take the kids... though there is two or three unnecessary bathroom jokes to beware of... and enjoy the holiday season.
on February 7, 2016
Of course, the Grinch is an incredible movie! It's a classic and one I grew up watching as a child. I have since lost my VHS copy, as well as my VHS player that goes with it. ;) This disc was great and played perfectly on our blu-ray player. It looked good on our TV and we had great laughs watching it this Christmas season! :) It was a great purchase that I would absolutely make again. If you haven't seen this movie, then you need to! It is a classic Christmas movie that every family should own and then watch at least once every holiday season. I love this story and remember watching the cartoon as a young child and then this version as I got older. I just love it! Jim Carrey is hysterical and this is the perfect heartwarming Christmas story that we all love to see and hear about!

This review is my opinion and it is truly what I believe about this product. Thank you for reading my review. Please give it a thumbs up if it was helpful to you! :)