Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seven Dogs in Heaven
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on September 16, 2011
I love Leland Dirks' writing, so I was prepared to like Seven Dogs in Heaven, but truthfully, I wasn't prepared to love it. I'm a bit of a hard-headed realist, so a story about dogs in heaven struck me as, well, a bit hard to swallow? Perhaps a little too sentimental an idea? Mr. Dirks, however, has the gift of taking the improbable and making it completely palatable with his elegant, simple prose and his avoidance of the sentimental. The story is inspirational, funny, sad, sweet, and completely engrossing. He never stoops to using the obvious cliches that other authors of dog books use to bring a tear. When I cried--and I did--I felt truly touched and not manipulated. I whole-heartedly recommend this book. It left me feeling uplifted and hopeful. That's a lot for this hard-headed realist to say. :)
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2011
Seven Dogs in Heaven is a book that makes us think...about how we have lived our lives, especially if we have shared or do share our lives with furry friends, in this case...dogs. This book teaches us that we humans should strive to do our duty, let our imaginations soar, be loyal and to simply have fun in life, and to do this gladly for ourselves and for other living beings we share this great earth with. I experienced many emotions as I read this book. I laughed, I cried, and the going was at times serious as well. In summary, the book was a great way to make me look at myself and how I treat or have treated myself and others, and to try and live my best life. While none of us is perfect, dogs have a way of bringing out the best qualities in us all, by their sheer unconditional love. We learn much from dogs and other living creatures, on how to be better people, for them and for ourselves. In the end, when we finally leave this life behind, will we feel like we've been the best people we could have strove to be? Don't be afraid to let your imaginations soar, don't shirk your duties, be loyal and faithful, and don't forget to play now and then. Woof, Bark, Grin! :) In addition, the illustrations done in the book by AugieDoggy.com are all very well done and are as cute as can be. Two thumbs up for author Leland Dirks (And Angelo), on their latest book, and kudos to AugieDoggy.com for the wonderful illustrations. :)
on September 16, 2011
Seven Dogs In Heaven is a wonderfully entertaining tale of one

man's experiences come "Judgement Day." It is thought provoking,

illuminating,and thoroughly engrossing .You don't have to be a

dog lover to appreciate this story, although dog lovers will recognize

how truly unconditional a dogs love can be when trying to

teach by example lessons such as fidelity, imagination and

duty. In the end, everyone will relate to how man's daily struggle to do

the right thing leads eventually to a final justice, one validated by

the love he shares in life and beyond.
on October 4, 2011
I had already fallen in love with Angelo when I purchased this book so I knew I would probably like it. However the concept, while it seemed a little strange at first, began to grow on me. I've always believed there are animals in Heaven but to "become" an animal, and the best animal there is, a dog, would indeed be like a dream come true. Dogs are teachers to all of us if we will but pay attention to them. I believe God can use anyone OR anything to teach us about Himself. That is what this book essentially does...it teaches us that God loves everything, and everyone, He creates and there is a usefulness in all of it. Beyond this dogs are also a great enjoyment for us. Another lesson learned - life is not all about work. We must take time to enjoy what God has given us. Leland Dirks is the kind of author that sees deep into the nature of dogs and their ability to mentor us in so many ways. I'm sure I can say with confidence that he has grown in many ways because of his relationships with his dogs. To be able to write about it in such a way as to make everyone else want to be a dog is an absolute gift. I hope he has many more books in his future as I simply love his style of writing. Thanks Leland and Angelo (and all the other pups too).
on September 25, 2011
After reading Angelo's Journey, this is another wonderful story. The story of the dogs in the author's life really brought up memories of my past dogs and how I might meet up with them in Heaven. A few tears, reflections and smiles, this is great book for all pet lovers and owners.
on November 10, 2011
It's a comfort to imagine our lost pets happy and healthy, cavorting in heaven. Leland Dirks, however, goes beyond the familiar rainbow bridge visual in his new book, Seven Dogs in Heaven. Dirk's narrator learns important lessons about himself through those he encounters in heaven. However these lessons come from the dogs in his life.

Each dog's story makes you wonder what your own dogs really think of you. Are you patient enough? Do you really understand their needs? One of the chapters that touched me most is about Snowboy, a small white pup who braved a snake-laden wheat field in order to protect his boy, even though the dog was terribly afraid of snakes.

Unafraid to touch on difficult topics, Leland (along with Angelo) writes a simple, yet deep book with an uplifting transformation at the end. AugieDoggy.com adds adorable illustrations of pointers, German shepherds, border collies and more. I like a book that makes me smile, and cry, and think. Add some wonderful dogs and that's what you get with Seven Dogs in Heaven.
on October 9, 2011
Knowing Leland and Angelo personally and the land where this story takes place was a big plus for me; but to other readers, if will identify a place, a man and some dogs that spring life very easily in your imagination. In his simple approach, Leland created something profound and allowed Angelo to be one of the leading characters amongst a group of other dogs -each bringing its own thought-provoking approach and making the reader dig back into their own head for the dogs of their own lives and what they meant - how they changed us and how we changed them.
It's a great story but be prepared for your emotions to bubble out and take you to places you didn't know you had.
Really enjoyed this and will re-read often.
on September 17, 2011
What an interesting and different kind of dog story, it actually made me cry twice, one was related to my very first dog. This one is "the best" of Leland's books thus far. Even though it is fiction you leave it thinking "what if" and "maybe it could really happen". There's a lot of things that make you think about life and dogs and their place in it. I loved the inclusion of the Marines in the story. When a man dies we are carried along in with his confusion from his eyes and have a million questions too, the author does a wonderful way of writing to pull you in to this man's life and death along with the dogs he has known. I read it all in one sitting as I could not put it down! If you love dogs, you will surely love this story by the time you finish it.
on September 29, 2011
I don't know why I started this book. I don't know if there was any significance in when I read this book. I only know that, after several pages, I became immersed in it. Eagerly I read, enjoying the scenery as much as the characters themselves. And when it was done, I felt something I cannot describe. Peace? Not exactly. Close, maybe. It was a strange feeling, not good nor bad. I am still pondering. Did I enjoy the book? Most certainly! The timing? Hmmmm....I picked it up and read it 3 weeks before I would, unknowingly at the time, have to have my nearly 15 yo 4 legged princess put to sleep. That, too, has left me with a somewhat eerie feeling. Not good, but not bad either. If you're a devout canine fan, read this book!
on September 4, 2012
This book begins a lot like The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom, but takes a different turn about half way through. It is a cute story written by an author who you can tell loves his dogs. It is an interesting idea and not sad at all. Actually, it made me feel sorry for those who never know the companionship of a dog.