5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to prepare for the trek of a lifetime
Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago, by Cheri Powell, is hard to categorize--is it a travelogue, a how-to manual, a hiking guide, a spiritual book? The answer is "all of the above."

Published on May 17, 2011 by Kindle reader

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new
I find the many 5-star reviews on this book highly suspicious. I get the feeling that every member of the author's women's writing group has chimed in with a glowing review.

Published on August 12, 2012 by Buena Onda

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to prepare for the trek of a lifetime, May 17, 2011
This review is from: Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago (Paperback)

In 2005, Powell and her husband made the 500-mile trek across northern Spain, following a path trod by many thousands of pilgrims over more than a thousand years. Their destination was Santiago de Compostela where, according to legend, Saint James is buried.

For some on the path, it's a physical challenge; for others, it's truly a spiritual pilgrimage. For most, it's probably a combination of both.

In her book, Powell discusses the historical, the practical (what to take and what to leave), mental preparation (setting goals and managing expectations), physical preparation, trail etiquette and more.

The author notes in the introduction, "You will leave this book at home after reading it. It will probably be dog-eared and have notes written in the margins. That is its intended use...this is your workbook for getting to the Camino."

Powell's book was written to help people prepare to walk the Camino, but much of the content would be helpful to those aspiring to walk the Appalachian Trail, the Pacific Rim Trail, or any other challenging trek.

The writing is clear, direct and well-organized. Each chapter concludes with a list of "takeaway" items. The author includes worksheets to help calculate costs, a shopping checklist, and an extensive list of books and Internet resources for further research.

Many people have been inspired to walk the Camino after reading Shirley MacLaine's book, The Camino: a Journey of the Spirit, or Paulo Coelho's book, The Pilgrimage. Millions more will be inspired by the new Martin Sheen movie, The Way, now playing in Europe. If you aspire to walk the Camino, this book should surely be part of your preparation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing new, August 12, 2012

I collect books about the Camino de Santiago. I have nothing against self-published books, but this one really offers nothing new. You could easily know just as much about the Camino by glancing at a few websites and Wikipedia articles. I found the author's tone annoying and many of her tips were extremely basic and obvious. With the wide selection of Camino resources out there, I wouldn't spend money on this book.

If you're looking for a comprehensive planning guide, I recommend Sylvia Nilsen's "Your Camino."

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money, February 4, 2013
My family and I walked the Camino last year, and in preparing for it we bought dozens of books. This book was a complete waste of money. With a title like 'Seven Tips' we were expecting a practical guidebook. But it is very general in content, providing very little beyond the most basic information about the pilgrimage, and I was really quite taken aback by the naïveté of the author. For someone who purports to be well travelled, we were gobsmacked by her complete ignorance of train travel. It sounded like she had only ever travelled by limousine. Walking the Camino is a wonderful but very gritty experience. The starry-eyed innocence of the author of this book is not really a good place to base your plans for the walk. Given our experience, we are surprised that this book has received so many positive reviews. Perhaps the author's family and friends have been very kind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago, March 12, 2011
This is a book that is well written and very comprehensive. I have never made this journey but after reading this book I certainly have added this trip to to my "must do" list! I would use this guide to prepare myself for any spiritual journey or hiking trip I would take, since so much of the information can be applied to other situations as well. The section on preparing yourself physically, worksheets on working out the cost of the trip, what to take and what to leave behind (not that I ever overpack) helped me to take a more methodical approcach to preparation for a journey. She even goes into culture shock and what to expect. Easy to read and she leaves no stone left unturned!

5.0 out of 5 stars Indespensible how-to on the el Camino, September 16, 2010
I read this book thinking that someday I might make the trip. WOW It made me 1. want to make the trip, and 2. feel like I would be well prepared if i did. This book is a practical and down to earth guide that tells you what TO DO and WHAT NOT TO DO to have a successful trip. It will help--right down to what kind of socks to wear! I think anyone contemplating making this pilgrimage would be well advised to pack your toothbrush, your hairbrush and that other indispensible item...your "Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago." Benefit from the author's cool head, studied and detailed approach to making your trip more comfortable, safer, and more successful.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, July 12, 2012
Unfortunately, this is just about the worst travel book I have ever read. It is beyond rudimentary, and the fact that the author was AMAZED, AMAZED that the seats on the train in Spain flipped back and forth really made me question her claim to have visited 19 countries (states?) Such suggestions as sharing the carrying of the shampoo bottle with your traveling companion, the proper haircut (two paragraph) and toothpaste, not to mention "foot guilt" (don't ask) had my 18 year old son in stiches, and just gave me a headache. Do not waste your money on this drivel. Purchase a guidebook with actual maps (none here), pictures (non here) and travel recommendations beyond the helpful hint that "fanny packs" are worn in the front. Seriously?

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, October 18, 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this practical guide for the preparation of the Camino.
The book was written with good spirit and humour. I felt like I was listening to a best friend's advice and adventures.As this book is designed to be used more as a workbook rather than a travel guide, the author could afford to use a larger font. This made the reading of it infinitely more enjoyable than many of the other books I have read on the Camino.

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding, you 5-Star reviewers???, March 13, 2013
This book was a big disappointment. I bought it because of all the 5-star reviews, but frankly can't understand how these people could have such high regard for this book. Shame on you for these gratuitous reviews.

In addition to my two other Camino travel books, there was really NOTHING useful in this book. Nothing !! really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, but not what I thought, December 5, 2011
OK, last year I went to Santiago in Spain and talked to some of the pilgrims. It sounded interesting. I also went to a Rick Steves travel show put on by a local artist who traveled one of the pilgrimage routes to Santiago.

This book is a fun read as it gives you history, some packing trips, and trips on how to budget for the trip.

It does not give you maps, the latest requirements (Spain just changed the law to require high visibility vests on roads) nor details of where to stay or eat.

It is what the title says it is. Seven tips.

It sill is fun and provides good advice and some internet references where you can get more information.

Worth the price of the book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 4, 2012
Linda B. Pierce (Carmel, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed in this book because I felt like much of the author's statements were stating the obvious. It may be good for someone who has never exercised in their life before, but then again, that person should probably not be undertaking a this level of a challenge. I just didn't feel I learned much that would be helpful to me.

Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago
Seven Tips to Make the Most of the Camino de Santiago by Cheri Powell (Paperback - August 7, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.30