Format: Paperback|Change

on August 30, 2011
I very much enjoyed reading Seven Years to Sin. Jessica is a widow, looking to overcome her grief and move forward with her life. To start, she decides to travel to Jamaica to deal with her property there. Alistair has long been infatuated with Jessica and when Jessica boards one of his ships to travel to Jamaica, he decides it is the perfect opportunity to make his move. Neither could anticipate the depth of emotion in their attraction, which began seven years earlier, and neither wants to see the inevitable end of that attraction...

Part of why I really enjoyed Seven Years to Sin is the erotic nature of the romance. For a historical novel, the romance is pretty hot, heavy, and bold. On Jessica's wedding day, she witnesses an erotic sexual encounter that awakened her sexual appetite, and that appetite simmered for seven years until she met Alistair again, but this time she was free to act on the attraction. The society restrictions of the 1800's are still in place, but with the setting being primarily on a boat in the middle of the ocean, those restrictions are more relaxed, allowing the characters to be more bold in their actions. Once Jess and Alistair have to re-enter society, they find that nothing is easy, and their circumstances are not what they thought at all.

Each of the characters have their own issues to overcome. For Jess, this is overcoming her past abuse and this issue gives the story a great deal of depth. Violence against women is a very serious topic, and I imagine that in the 1800's women who were victims were often desperate and with out help at all. Just when Jess thinks she is doing better at putting her past abuse at the hands of her father behind her, she finds that her sister is dealing with abuse. Hester (Jessica's sister) has an entire story liner herself in this novel, and I really felt for her and her situation. While Jess is off having her hot romance, Hester is home living in terror and desperation. The way these stories combine creates for a very well rounded book, it is not a frivolous romance story, and has a sense of realism and believability.

Overall, I really liked Seven Years To Sin, it is a well written and developed story full of sensual romance and provoking plot twists. Alistair is a wonderful historical hero, the type of man who defy's expectations and succeeds in whatever he does. Jessica is a woman who must put aside her past to embrace her future. Together, their story is beautiful, romantic, and a very good read.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 3, 2011
This is a delightful story of second chances. With a heroine that embraces her independence in a time of repression and a hero that isn't afraid to open up his heart to love.

Jessica was known as the Diamond of the Season, beautiful beyond measure but appearing cold and reserved, a perfect wife for a future Earl. One secretly witnessed deviant scene of inflagrente delicto later and her whole life is changed. Intrigued to discover the art of love making, she begins her life with her husband Viscount Tarley, fully grasping her womanly desires and passions.

Alistair Caulfield is the fourth born son to Duke Masterson. He is an infamous rake and risk taker. Circumstances have allowed him to live a life filled with adventure and minimal responsibility. After being caught in a very compromising position, he does his best to avoid Jessica. On that fateful day, he saw something in her that captivated him. The only thing he could do was to run away from the temptation of her. So Alistair ran fast and far.

Seven years have passed and tragedy has taken Viscount Tarley from Jessica, she is ready to move on. Her husband Benedict ensured his wife would want for nothing and bequeathed her a plantation in Jamaica. She has always desired the freedom to travel and now has the opportunity. Unknown to her, Alistair is also moving on and she just happens to be his target.

Seven Years to Sin was new and exciting for me. I found the writing clear and concise with no predictability. The plot was flawless and the characters were enchanting. Ms. Day's addition of the subplot of Jessica's sister, Hester, was included brilliantly and didn't distract from the story. Her future seems bright compared to her rather dismal past. I found myself grinning after the epilogue.

I enjoyed tagging alone on the sea voyage to Jamaica and the journey of their eventual lives together. It was wonderful to see Alistair falling head over heels in love, obsessed but still fighting it. Jessica was pure heaven. Her healing was well described and her self-discovery was believable and a joy to read.

Ms. Day wrote a well thought out book and then proceeded to add spice and adventure. She wrapped all the loose ends expertly and left me sated and satisfied. I was up until wee hours in the morning reading and I had to force myself to stop. After finishing the book I immediately checked out her website. If her backlist is half as good as Seven Years to Sin then she is a keeper.
on February 20, 2012
Ok, first off I want to start with a disclaimer that I love, adore and devour naughty novels. There is nothing I like more than romance where the hero and heroine are wild for each other and one can read about their chemistry together and watch the sparks they shoot off each other. I don't have a problem whatsoever when the hero and heroine engage in scorching encounters.

That being said, when that is ALL they do it becomes quite boring. Too much of a good thing and all that. I liked the characters very much, they both were flawed but good people, there was none of those silly misunderstanding that could be fixed by simple talking that is so pervasive in most romantic novel plots, I also enjoyed the fact that the heroine wasn't a blushing virgin or some sexually frustrated widow who had been pining away all her life for the right man to awaken her sexually (a very common plot too in historical romance).

I wish the author had been a little bit less bent on writing about her main characters in all sexual positions known to mankind and more in an actual plot. There is really no plot, no secrets to discover (the whole abuse deal was so obvious) there was no conflict and no resolution. All there was was sex, lots of it, in boats, in meadows, in gazebos, on desks, in bathtubs, in bed, in carriages, etc. We got it, we got it, he was experienced and she was wanton really. They were sexually compatible, again we got it. Aside from their sexual compatibility (to which we were treated on every page of the book) I have no knowledge of what they had in common or what exactly was it that they found so fascinating about each other. I dare to venture that they weren't actually in love, they were just in lust. "Lucien" because he got the one woman he couldn't get and Jessica because she was a proper paragon of virtue in society and being with Lucien was so against her character.

I found much more interesting the story of Hester and Jessica's brother in law and skipped several pages of writhing and moaning and "more, more,more" to get to her plot who had so much more depth, emotions and twists.

In the end I wished I had been reading Hester's story instead. I wonder if the author knows about that trick of keeping people wishing for more instead of cramming everything down our throats.
33 comments|105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 29, 2013
This story had phenomenal sex scenes, and that was it's only highlight. This would have been great sensuality if added to a Nora Roberts title. The story was overly open with large annoying gaps. It had a beginning, but no real middle or finalized conclusion. It just seemed as if the story was dragging itself in order to get to the next sexual encounter. I was impressed that the characters weren't "typical" historical novel romantic portrayals. I suppose that was another highlight. I enjoyed -ASK FOR IT-, but this one, not so much.
First off, I’m a huge fan of this author. I can’t believe I’ve left this sit on my TBR pile for over two years. Sylvia Day is well known for her Crossfire Erotic Series but this book has so much more than erotica. It delves deeply into the aftermath of child abuse and also marital physical abuse. It is very romantic and is one of those books where you want to underline and commit passages to memory. Alistair is very flawed but very heroic. Jessica is damaged by childhood abuse but very loving and adventurous. Hester, Jessica’s sister is married to an abusive husband and this side story is very moving. Yes, there is an abundance of sex in this story, but it is all relevant to the story. Accomplished writers can write good sex scenes and if you want to read a master then this is the book for you.
I really can’t rate this book high enough. I would give it a 10 if I had the chance.
on April 21, 2015
THE WRITING

When I first realized my love of adult romance, I devoured any and all historical romance that I could get my hands on. I learned pretty early on that sex scenes in historical love stories could go really downhill, really fast. I’m one of those HR junkies that abhors purple prose and flowery love scenes and eventually hit a dry spell. But when I had seen that notorious erotic romance writer Sylvia Day had written a historical romance series, well, I was too curious to pass up the opportunity to get this book virtually free on Paperbackswap.

Months later, when I finally opened Seven Years to Sin to read the first couple of pages, I didn’t actually mean to sit down and read for two hours. I just meant to peek in and save it for in the morning, but Day caught me unaware in a web of sneakily addictive writing that I didn’t even realize she had a talent for. Before I knew what was going on, I was a hundred pages in and it was 1 am and I was supposed to be asleep hours ago. What I am trying to warn you romance junkies is to make sure you actually have the time to sit down and devour this book, because otherwise you’ll end up confused as to how the time had passed and completely forget what you were supposed to be doing!

THE STORY

Like many historical romances, Seven Years to Sin has a character driven plot but the realization didn’t deter from my love for this book. I enjoyed every character in this book, from the main characters, to the secondary characters – and yes, even the bad guys. A big theme in this story is overcoming abuse and betrayal from those who are supposed to put your safety first. This is a common theme in romance, but this is a common issue in modern times and historical, so I found Seven Years to Sin to be surprisingly heart-wrenching for all characters involved.

Another central theme of this story was overcoming upbringing. Jessica and her sister, Hester, were raised by their serious and often abusive father. They were both shaped into two very different, but caring women who dealt with the abuse in different ways. It was fascinating to see how different their lives were all throughout the novel, and how difficult it was for them to shed the past in growing as characters. They weren’t the only characters that had some growing to do – I noticed all the important characters did some growing as the novel progressed (well, most of them) and it was something I appreciated as a reader.

THE CHARACTERS

What impressed me the most about Seven Years to Sin was how seamlessly Day connected all the characters. It was believable and pretty realistic. Was the plot all that realistic? Not really (but historical romance hardly ever is), but I really enjoyed how everyone in the book had a role in adding dimension to each other. Everyone in my life has shaped me into who I am in one way or another, so I love how realistically the author wove them all together. I liked how big a role the parents had in making Jessica and Hester and even Michael, Allistair, and Lord Remington (even if he was a bast***) because let’s be honest, we wouldn’t be who we are – good or bad – with some help from who raised us.

Jessica was the strongest character of them all. She learned early that being herself wasn’t beneficial to surviving in her household, so she allowed her father to shape her into the perfect “genteel” woman, all the while knowing that no matter what society said about her, she was far from perfect. It was so awesome to watch her transform from this masked, frigid woman to a sensual beauty unafraid to acknowledge her less-than-proper desires for Alistair. Jessica is one of the hottest heroines I’ve ever read and can totally see myself re-reading this book just for Jessica and Alistair sexy times.

Gah, Alistair. He was sexy, heroic, heart-wrenching, and so damn wicked. I can totally see the appeal of this man. He doesn’t even realize quite how much of a catch he is. Selfless enough to set out on his own so his mother wouldn’t be torn between her jerk of a husband and her own son, wicked enough to find a way to use his looks for profit, moral enough to leave England for seven years so he wouldn’t tarnish her loving marriage. He’s incredibly self-confident (as well he should be) in the bedroom but also has the self-esteem issues of a chubby teenager. Basically a well-developed character that gives off an “awwwhhh” effect while also incinerating panties. Everything this romance junkie loves in her heroes!

THE END

If you hadn’t already guess, I’m a big fan of Seven Years to Sin. Once again, a newfound favorite that I regret waiting so long to read. Ah well, can’t change the past, but I correct the future so I’ve already purchased another book in this stand-alone series. I recommend fans of erotic romance to try out Seven Years to Sin. Even if you’re an erotic romance fan that doesn’t read historical romance, this book is well worth stepping out of your comfort zone. You will not regret it!
on November 29, 2012
Hi All,
I haven't read every single review here so this might have already been mentioned but.....did anyone else notice that there are about 10 pages missing at the very end of the book????
In the Epilog, Jess has found Alistair playing the violin in their bedroom and then it skips to him warning her to be quiet through her pleasure he was about to give her. There's something missing......the sentences don't ever match up. Quote: ".....except for his buff-colored trousers. open and our guests outside, you will...."
I'd like to hear back from anyone....cuz either I'm crazy or I have a bad e-book here and need to report it to Amazon.

Thank you.
Hope everyone is having a nice holiday so far.
Kat~
on December 25, 2012

on October 8, 2015
Alistair watched Jess from from a distance , he left London when she was promised to another man. Jess admired Alistair handsome features as a teenager. She married a good man but always thought of Alistair. Seven years later her husband dies and she travels to a island her husband left her. It's Alistair's ship and they get to know each other. But the time they arrive to the island they are in love and want to make up for lost years. But returning to London they are faced with many obstacles. Hot, sexy and raw love between this couple.
on October 9, 2012
Loved this book! As usual Sylvia has a way about certain scenes that makes me smile! The main reason I really enjoyed the book was the erotic romance. duh who doesn't? The historical part was a little hard to read the terminology was a little confusing to me. The romance between Jess and Alistair was pretty hot! For the history, Jessica's is witnesses to a sexual encounter and it is that encounter that awakened her sexual appetite. She put those feelings aside until she sees Alistair again 7 years later. Now that her marriage is over, husband is dead, she is free.
As a couple Jess and Alistair are beautiful. The story was very romantic and a very good read.