Published on September 28, 2010 by Harold Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Gooey, syrupy in excess
I feel like a jerk saying that I didn't much like this book, but I have to be honest. I have read The Wednesday Letters and Christmas Jars by Wright and enjoyed them very much, so I was excited to get Seventeen Second Miracle. I was certain I was going to love it. I was shocked when I didn't - I had to force myself to finish it.

It's not that the story itself...
Published on January 5, 2011 by Dawn Kessinger

5.0 out of 5 stars ABOUT ORDINARY PEOPLE IN BELIEVABLE SITUATIONS--BELIEVABLE MIRACLES, September 28, 2010
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
A novel that keeps you reading. "The Seventeen Second Miracle" is a story about normal people who face bumps, big bumps, in the road, and yet carry on. Wright has his own way of taking characters, not much different than you and I, and making their life worth reading about and learning from. He leaves the reader with a message, an opportunity for a life change, and a life-style improvement. This is not FLUFF.

There is some suspense, but it's not about that, it's about finding heart in living when sometimes life throws us curves. But are normal lives capable of producing miracles? In this story of Cole Conner, a man who has decided to continue a project started by his father, the miracle is found in 17 seconds. Dad Conner was involved in a tragic moment as a youth. He found a way to turn that horror into a positive. Who among us can't use that? But is it realistic? Jason F. Wright makes it believable. He makes miracles happen in a way that become 21st century comprehendible. His characters are real; I can see each of them in people touching my own life. That makes the book meaningful. It's not just a heartwarming story; it's a lesson quite achievable.

Author Wright so subtly creates several characters' descriptions which include outwardly almost hidden signs of continual grappling with grief. Prolonged grief for the loss of a relationship is typically inward, and in this book so realistically portrayed, that readers who have not yet experienced grief of death, separation, or other forms of relationship grief may miss it altogether. Just like in real life. Extended grief festers. This writer indirectly describes it so well, perhaps only those who have thus suffered, and trained professionals, will fully recognize the brilliance in the writing.

This is a story of families, of tragedies, of relationships, of love--with a bit of humor, suspense, drama, and emotion that flows from the pages to touch the reader as surely as the events touched the book characters. It's what I've come to expect from this author, a solid story, but with an ending that will get the reader thinking about changes to adapt to their own way of living.

Cole sets out to find the secret needs of three teenage youth, and like the similar Discussion groups in the past, finds the participants with their own way of leading. Is it about faith? Not religion but faith in mankind. About values? You bet, and written in a way anyone from middle school to adult can absorb. As a side benefit, it's a good book for married couples. As relevant to married couples as "Love Dare."

So what is "The Seventeen Second Miracle?" To spell it all out would take too long and ruin some of the suspense and magic. It would spoil the reading quest. It would destroy the 17 second miracle you will find in reading this book. I am past 60, and if I live long enough, I'll enjoy this book for the next 17 years, 17 seconds at a time. Read it--then you'll understand. And then buy one for a friend--a 17 second miracle.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gooey, syrupy in excess, January 5, 2011
Dawn Kessinger (Lima, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

It's not that the story itself or the idea of the seventeen second miracle is bad - I think reminding people to notice others' needs and offer help and kindnesses in all kinds of circumstances is great. But I was turned off by a couple of things: Gooey, syrupy in excess ... a little goes a long way, and I found main character, the "hero" and founder of it all, to be unbelievably perfect (I'm talking about after he discovers the seventeen-second miracle - it seems he started out as a pretty normal, likable teenager, and after an accident when he finds his footing again, he transforms somehow into this angelic model to all humanity). It annoyed me - a miracle or doing nothing but good every single day, sometimes at the expense of his family. I get it - I should give more and take less. But sometimes, people get grumpy. They argue. Sometimes, it's understandable that a kid will be disappointed because his dad pushes his son's plans to the bottom of the pile because there was someone else in need. There was always someone in need, and the wise sayings and advice never stopped flowing from the always kind, always patient dad who just couldn't understand why a 6th-grader might be upset that Dad couldn't find a way to compromise and help someone while also doing something nice for his son. The way the dad turned everything into a lesson was tiring, too - I felt preached at and hit over the head with the idea of turning everything into a miracle.

I did like the three students chosen to take the discussions - Miles, Kendra (and her dad the coach) and especially Travis are more believable with doubts, problems and pain that felt more like real life. They all learned something, and not everything they learned was positive. The ongoing story of the saccharine, "perfect" hero diminished even the good parts of the story for me. But I can still appreciate and agree with the general idea of watching for opportunities to both give and receive (and appreciate) miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll NEVER be the same!!, December 9, 2010
I thought Christmas Jars was AMAZING but The Seventeen Second Miracle will change your life!! I've always been an encourager and one that is aware of the power of words but never have had the evidence of that portrayed in such an wonderfully written way. From THE MOMENT I finished the book, I was even more aware of the moments of my life and how I wanted to make them count. From applauding a group of soldiers & thanking them as they boarded a plane to handing a cup of coffee to a Salvation Army bell ringer on a freezing cold day my eyes have been opened to the people around me in ways I've not noticed before. What a wonderful gift Jason Wright has given us all this holiday season......the gift of time and how easy it is to make a difference in a life. It won't take you long to read this book because it draws you in quickly but it WILL change your life!! I HIGHLY recommend it & encourage you to give it to everyone you know this holiday season!! It's a WINNER!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Forever Changed", March 31, 2012
I have read "Christmas Jars", "Christmas Jars Reunion", "The Wednesday Letters","The Wedding Letters", and "The Seventeen Second Miracle". All beautifully written, heartwarming and inspiring.
"The Seventeen Second Miracle" however, left me forever changed. No book, nor reading of any kind has ever left me in my current state. From this reading, I felt as if I was litterally broken open. Blind and now seeing. Seeing things there were always there, but went unnoticed. I've always believed in miracles, but never ever, did I think that "I" had the ability to create one. The opportunities to create miracles abound!
If you never read another book, please read this one and share it with as many as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, December 27, 2010
Heather Moore (Lehi, Utah United States) - See all my reviews
The Seventeen Second Miracle is a book I've already recommended to many people. As with all Jason Wright novels, I walked away having learned something and more determined to be a better person. If you doubt that small acts of service have a lasting effect on a person's life, you need to read this book.

Just today, I was at a movie theater and in the bathroom I found an over-sized gaudy ring that is popular among teens--worth maybe $5.00. I thought about leaving it on the counter, with the chance that someone might come looking for it. But then I thought about what Rex Conner (or his son, Cole) might have done. I took the extra time, even though it meant missing more of my movie, and delivered it to the manager of the theater. Perhaps it will sit in lost and found forever, or perhaps it will be recovered by a grateful teenager. But taking the extra time, be it 17 seconds or several minutes, to do something that might make a difference to someone else, helps me become a more compassionate person.

In The Seventeen Second Miracle, Rex Connor leaves behind a legacy--a legacy that began when he made the worst mistake of his life--one that forever changed him. His son, Cole, is determined to continue sharing the life lessons he learned from his father by holding Discussions with groups of high school teenagers.

Each year, the local high school principle selects teens to become part of the Discussion group. This year, only three are selected, but it proves to be the most impactful group yet as they struggle to face the realities of life and make the right choices despite significant roadblocks.

The Seventeen Second Miracle is one of those books that make you think about all aspects of your life. Its insightfulness touches the heart and delivers a message that is simple, yet profound. A message that is universal and essential in order for us to co-exist in harmony and has the power to literally change lives.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives can be changed in a matter of seconds..., November 24, 2010
Jason Wright lives up to his well-earned reputation as a writer of beautiful, believable, fit-for-all-to-read fiction once again with The Seventeen Second Miracle. He magically crafts characters with a story that immediately draws the reader in and holds him until the last page. You might want to make sure you have some tissues on hand to see you through this heart-warming and inspirational story. It is sure to tug at your heart and make you want to go out and perform some seventeen-second miracles of your own!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like it, love it, want more of it!, October 13, 2010
This is the third book I have read by this author in ONE WEEK! I just cannot put his books down. Seventeen Second Miracle, like the others I have read, just restores my faith in humankind. I found myself so wrapped up in the characters that I giggled with the teens at the beginning and had tears of sorrow and joy throughout. Wright continues to show that with a little faith, one can be healed and can use it to heal others. His stories are amazing, his characters are realistic and flawed just like all of us and their tragedies could happen to anyone. I haven't stopped thinking about what seventeen second miracles are all around me and what ones I can make happen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved tis book!, May 28, 2013
This review is from: The Seventeen Second Miracle (Kindle Edition)
What a sweet and uplifting story! Much needed for our day when we all need to remember to go the extra mile to create our own little miracles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book, March 11, 2012
I loved this book so much that I have shared it with many of my friends. I even bought each of my three daughters their own copies for Christmas along with a small journal and pendant watch. It made for a very nice "themed" gift. They all loved it too and it has been an inspiration to me. Now I'm trying to add other Jason Wright books to my library. What a wonderful writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another thought provoking read, September 29, 2010
Another thought provoking novel from Jason F. Wright. Everyone should read this book not only for the story itself but for the self examination that goes on while reading it. Much like his Christmas Jars novel, this book will open the reader's eyes to simple ways to better the lives of the people arround them. By the end, you too will be looking for ways to perform seventeen second miracles throughout your day. You will believe in the Seventeen Second Miracle.

The Seventeen Second Miracle