on June 11, 2011
It seems to be working fine. I like the scent and dye free aspect of it; that's the only way to go. I have always had good luck with Seventh Generation products. I have used their liquid detergent for years and it's good too, but they were out, so I ordered these powders. It disintegrates well, so you don't pull your clothes out of the washer with little gobs of matted detergent powder in the creases.
on January 8, 2013
I switched from liquid to powdered Seventh Generation detergent due to better health and environment ratings on EWG's guide to cleaners. I tried the whole container first before deciding to switch brands. The clothes come out very scratchy and loose color quickly. Everything black looks extremely worn and faded after just a few washes. I washed my daughter's minky blanket in it and it turned into sandpaper. I tried adding vinegar, baking soda and other enhancers and nothing worked. I found a highly rated powdered detergent at Whole Foods for much less money. Will not buy seventh generation anymore
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 9, 2012
I love Seventh Generation. I am so disappointed that I have a negative review of this because I had high hopes for it.

I was using Charlie's Soap but starting using this 7th Gen powder when I ran out. My daughter has eczema and only a short time after using this she started having flare-ups again. It also doesn't dissolve fully, there are remnants of the soggy powder in the dispenser (front loader) and also soggy powder clumps on the inside of the washer door - and that's using it in both hot, warm and cold water WITH an extra rinse cycle on every load. I even did a seperate "rinse and spin" load and the clumps didn't go away.

Needless to say, I'm going back to Charlie's Soap ... it dissolves fully every time and doesn't cause flare-ups with my daughter's eczema which is priceless.
on May 2, 2011
One of our key requirements when shopping for a laundry detergent was that it be environment friendly, fragrance free, as well as be equally effective in washing clothes. This product satisfied all our requirements. I was hesitant as to the effectiveness, but so far it has proved to clean as well as the Tide, Gain, or ECOS detergents we used to use earlier. Overall, a great product and a good buy!
on January 26, 2013
I really wanted to like this product. I used this detergent for a few of my laundry loads and thought I had decent results. But after the last couple of loads of laundry, I noticed that my whites have been turning gray (I have an HE machine and washed the clothing on a warm setting). I brought this up to a friend and it turns out she experienced the same issue with this detergent! I will say that the scent is nice and not overpowering. Regardless, I cannot recommend this product and will be replacing it right away.
on May 23, 2012
I brought this after rave reviews and I can say after using it that it is ok. Sometimes it got the laundry clean and sometimes I found myself rewashing white clothes. So the jury is out on the best one for me and my family.
on May 26, 2013
When I first tried this product last year, it worked great in my top-loading HE machine. I was satisfied with the price, smell, relatively ethical ingredients, and resultant clean laundry. I even subscribed to receive it regularly.

Then, one box ago, it started clumping in my washing machine's dispenser. Some of what I put in would go to wash my clothes, but the rest would form a rock-like chunk in the detergent tray during the cycle and need to be thrown in the trash after.

I use different detergent to wash cloth diapers, and it does not clump. This is why I believe that the issue is with this laundry powder and not with my machine, water, etc.

I looked up the clumping issue online, and I found that other customers had this problem with this detergent - but not everyone did. It seemed inconsistent. They recommended dissolving the powder in some water before putting it in the dispenser tray. I tried this, and it worked fine. Specifically, I scoop the right amount of powder into an old plastic cup measure, add some warm water till it's half to three-quarters full, stir it with the handle of the scoop, pour the dissolved soap into the dispenser tray, and toss the soapy measuring cup and scoop into the washing machine with the clothes. In this way, I used up the first box, hoping that my next box would not require the extra step.

For some reason, my first scoop from the new, current box did not clump. However, I was frustrated to find that the second one did. Back to my pre-laundry alchemy routine!

In the grand scheme of things it is not a hardship to have to dissolve my laundry powder before using it. I am still giving the product three stars because it does the job. However, it does not work as advertised: they do not say on the box that the powder must be dissolved first. Plus, the extra step is annoying, particularly while holding a baby.

I have unsubscribed from this laundry detergent and am looking for something else that's "green" and works in one step.
on June 21, 2013
I'd used this upon ewg_dot_org's recommendation on safe laundry detergents, but will try alternatives.

Pros:
1. Rated very highly on ewg_dot_org and goodguide_dot_com.

Cons:
1. Doesn't fully dissolve, leaving clumps of detergent on some clothes. Ironically, the package recommends using cold water, which is likely a big factor in the problem.
2. The box--with pull-off tie at the upper 1/4 of the box with no securing--results in potential spills and airborne powder.
3. Requires you to make a paste with the powder and water for pre-treatment. Have an old liquid detergent cap or plastic cup handy.
4. Cleaning ability is just ok (many bibs and shirts need to be washed twice). Followed instruction on the box, which states to use 1 scoop for a small or medium load, 2 scoops for a large load.

Personally, I've found powder form to be quite a hassle. Method free & clear laundry that I had used previously sufficed, but I'll now try Seventh Generation Liquid Laundry 4x, Free and Clear, 40 Fl Oz. 2 Count.

[update]
I've been using a long, empty water bottle to stir the powder to properly dissolve before loading clothes, which prevents the clumping & residue problem. The efficient (lazy) side in me still prefers liquid.
on March 5, 2012
I purchased this detergent because my skin is sensitive to some detergents.

Which it definitely doesn't smell like Tide sport with Febreeze (emmm), it seems to be the most natural I could find that was a good price for the amount you get.

The amount contained in the box will definitely last me for months!!

However, I do not like how they decided to package this product.

The box has a pull strip across the top of the box. Once you pull it off the top becomes a lid that flaps open, however, it does not seal closed after you do this. So basically the top stays open.

Since I keep my detergents on a shelf above the washer, I didn't want to take a chance that I might drop the box and become this giant human powdered donut, so I decided to get a plastic container that I could store the powder in.

Also, when I opened the box it was seemed there was no scooper. While transferring the powder over to the plastic container I notice....hey....there is a scooper in here! But much help that would have been, it was buried all the way at the bottom of the box. I probably wouldn't have figured that out until September! lol

Based of those reasons I gave this product 4 stars. Other than that, it works great.

Not much smell to the free and clear version, but that is the point of it. It does seem to bubble up like any other detergent would in the wash.

I recommend this brand because it is one of the least harmful and more natural cleaners out there, and also because it is a great value.

Just make sure you don't drop the box if you decide to keep the powder in there after opening. You'll look like a pine tree in the winter time.
on June 17, 2013
I wanted to love this product. Over the last year, I've gradually been switching out my products for more environmentally friendly alternatives. However, this one suggests that you pre-mix the detergent with water. It makes laundry a little bit too much of a production when I'm busy and not interested in making a big mess in my small laundry area.

As other reviewers have mentioned, it does come very messily in the shipping box with detergent all over the place.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations