Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent with Non-Chlorine Bleach, Free & Clear, Powder, 112-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 4)
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on July 12, 2006
My children and I are chemically sensitive and have tried a whole host of fragrance free laundry detergents. This is the only product I have found that does not cause us to break out in a rash and it does a terrific job of cleaning our clothes. It dissolves quickly and cleans effectively. We have been using this product for around six months now and have not noticed any wash related wear or fading of our clothing. The price is also extremely reasonable compared to what we were paying for other 'sensitive' products. I can highly recommend this product.
on October 31, 2007
I actually like this product ...it does get your clothes clean without all the nasty chemicals which is a bonus because we tried many all natural brands and trust me their is a ton of them out there that do not work!! BUT if you buy the powder and have hard water make darn sure you dissolve all of the detergent before putting your clothes in the washer or you will be very unhappy with the white "STAINS" on your clothes and NO it does no come out. We have 3 boxes of this detergent left and I am happy to take the time to dissolve it but we are going to start getting the Seventh generation liquid detergent to save a bit of time!

Michelle Toole
Editor [...]
on October 28, 2007
I am so happy with this detergent. I use it on white loads, and light-colored loads. For dark loads, I use Seventh Generation liquid detergent without bleach. To get my white loads as white or whiter than when I used to use chemical laundry detergent with harsh chlorine bleach, I do the following, and it makes even the nastiest white socks come out white as snow:

Start the load with hot water, add this detergent, a cup of baking soda, and Seventh Generation non-chlorine bleach. (Filling the washer with detergent and 3 inches of water first makes all laundry detergent work better...) Once washer has 3 inches of water, add socks and dirtiest whites first. (Note: I also spray the nastiest socks and laundry with home-made stain spray--1 part water, 1 part ammonia, 1 part Seventh Generation liquid laundry detergent.) Once the nastiest clothes are submerged, add the rest of the white load while washer is still filling. Once filled, let the washer agitate for 5 minutes or so to mix. Then, I turn the washer off and let the load soak until the next day. The next day, set the load at the beginning and let run as usual. I know this sounds like a lot, and you may have to plan to accomodate the sitting overnight, but it's worth it to me---like I said, those nastiest whites came out SOOOO white, as if I'd used harsh chemical bleach on them! It blew me away--I didn't expect whites to come out so white while using eco-friendly products!
on July 7, 2008
I really WANT to like Seventh Generation powdered laundry detergent. I believe in the company's focus and have been happy with all of their other products that I've tried. But this detergent is awful. Using hot water, I followed the directions to dissolve detergent in the filling washer before adding clothes. At first I thought I was using too much, so cut way back. That helped eliminate the nasty smell. (It's fragrance-free, but that doesn't mean it doesn't stink.) The big problem is that it leaves white blotches on all of my colored cotton knits. I've tried adding vinegar to the wash, also borax, with no appreciable difference. Also, the box recommendation to pre-treat stains with a mix of detergent and water, rubbed into the stain, DOES NOT WORK on a grease stain. So I find myself washing repeatedly to try to get the stains out and get the white blotches out. I'll use up the Seventh Generation I have on whites and go back to the nasty chemical detergent for my dark cotton knits.
on November 5, 2006
I've been using the Seventh Generation Detergent for about 6 months now. For my family it's a God send because it doesn't have any dyes, scents, stray chemicals, etc. It's cleans as well as any other detergent I've ever used and rinses out better than any other.
on January 11, 2007
I've used this product since Seventh Generation changed the formula on their original product. It cleans well and doesn't have the fragrances that make me so ill. When you can find this with free shipping, it's a good deal! I use and recommend many of Seventh Generation's products, including their dishwasher detergent, dishwashing soap, and spray cleaner. If you want to green your home/work and safeguard the health of those you love, these free and clear products will help.
on May 29, 2006
In my experience, this product is quite harsh on the garments, fading the colors and weakening the fabrics, leading me to conclude that its bleaching action is too strong. Although the product does not contain the common chlorine type of bleach, it contains hydrogen peroxide as a bleaching, or oxidizing, agent. Hydrogen peroxide is what people use to bleach their hair on the cheap. If you use too much, your hair comes out. So you can imagine what repeated exposure will do to your clothes. I have found mainstream products that are not labeled as containing bleach less harsh on the clothes. It would make sense that the makers of Seventh Generation upped the bleaching action because of a need to compensate for a weaker detergent effect of the natural ingredients they are using. But if my clothes wear out twice as fast as they would if they were not exposed to the bleaching, or oxidizing, action, what is the global impact of that? I would try Seventh Generation again if they offered a non-bleaching laundry detergent.
44 comments|24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2006
I really love this laundry detergent. It cleans everyone's clothes very well (including my 18 month-old toddler's clothes - sometimes his clothes can get quite dirty). I think it is really worth the extra cost knowing that the ingredients are environmentally sound.
on April 1, 2013
I love the idea of no chemicals in my laundry detergent. I love the idea of "going green." What I don't like is the idea of my entire family stinking like B.O. Well, that's what happened after I started using this product. It just doesn't clean thoroughly enough. Okay, my husband is a bit of a stinky, sweaty guy (aren't they all?), and his clothes always reek after his workout, but that's what detergent is for, right? Luckily, washing his clothes always took care of the problem... until I started using this product. Now all of our clothes (not just hubby's) smell like malodorous B.O. No matter how many times I wash our clothes with this detergent, it doesn't get the stink out. Leaving a faint (or not so faint) trail of foulness in the air every time we enter the room is NOT the impression I want my family to make!

Sorry, I'm going back to chemical-filled Tide.
on August 10, 2010
I bought this HE detergent after reading in several chat rooms that my front loader HE washing machine might not smell as much if I used it. It really works great! Plus, I have a family of sensitive skin types, and no one has noticed that I switched laundry detergent...which is a GOOD thing. It is very hard to find in stores, so I recommend buying it from Amazon to save gas and your time running all over town to find it.