5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well in Cold Water and is Good for the Environment
Published on October 23, 2012 by Paul Moskowitz

Positives:
1) Pods are easy to use;
2) Mandarin & Sandalwood scent is light & doesn't linger after the clothes are washed;
3) Dissolve completely in cold, warm & hot water;
4) Can use in Front Loader washers

Negatives:
1) 1 pod doesn't really seem to clean even lightly soiled clothes very well;
2) Cigarette smells remain on...
Published on September 15, 2012 by Carrie

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK. Like the Low Scent, But Question the Cleaning Ability, September 15, 2012
Positives:
1) Pods are easy to use;
3) Dissolve completely in cold, warm & hot water;
4) Can use in Front Loader washers

Negatives:
1) 1 pod doesn't really seem to clean even lightly soiled clothes very well;
2) Cigarette smells remain on clothes even after washing & dog smells remain on dog bed covers after washing;

I really wanted to like this product. I am not a fan of perfumey detergents & this Seventh Generation Natural detergent would have been perfect for my needs. The problem is that is just doesn't do a very good job cleaning clothes. I've resorted to washing with 2 pods, which is not really cost-effective, & I still don't think that my clothes are as clean as they could be. I thought that perhaps advertising has "conditioned" us to think that clothes aren't clean unless they smell clean, but after washing cigarette infused clothes & dog beds (I wash the smoker's clothes separately from other clothes & was the dog beds in their own load) & having the cigarette smell & dog smell remain, I've decided that the Seventh Generation just doesn't work. I'm disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well in Cold Water and is Good for the Environment, October 23, 2012
I have been a user of Seventh Generation products for years. In the case of this company, they actually do produce products which have a smaller impact on the environment. This laundry cleaning product, for example, is manufactured without phosphorous. This is important. Our wastewater eventually find its way into our streams, lakes, reservoirs, and eventually back into our drinking water. Phosphorous promotes algae growth which degrades water quality.

Recently, Westchester County, NY, where I live, enacted laws to phase out the use of phosphorous containing lawn fertilizer. Seventh Generation has taken the phosphorous out of this new product. This will improve our water quality.

I used a detergent packet first on dark clothes. As instructed, I placed a packet at the bottom of my top-loading washer. Then, I put a load of dark clothes in the washer. I used the cold-cold cycle as I do for my usual liquid detergent. The clothes emerged clean. After drying, they were clean, soft, and without significant odor. The packet did work without leaving a residue. I next tried a load of white clothes. The results were as good as those for the dark clothes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product. Very Delicate Fragrance., August 31, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is the first product I've tried from Seventh Generation, and I'm pleased by their truth in advertising. I'm very sensitive to fragrances. I've tried other laundry products billed as "all natural," only to find that the fragrances were synthetic, and so potent that I couldn't wear my clothes without sneezing, runny nose, and sore throat. One "natural" product I tried required three extra washings just to get rid of the fragrance so I could wear my clothes again!

Seventh Generation states that this detergent has no synthetic fragrances or dyes, so I decided to take a chance on it. I'm happy to report that I love the fragrance and have had no unpleasant reaction to any of the ingredients. No itching skin, and no problem with the fragrance. The sandalwood/citrus smell is very pleasant but very faint. You can just barely smell it when you put your nose right up to the clothes. And that's the way I like it. Just enough to know the clothes are freshly laundered. If you don't have a sensitive sniffer, you may not be able to smell it at all.

I like this detergent and the convenience of the pre-measured pods. You do need to put the pods in the washing machine before adding the clothes so the coating can dissolve in the water and allow the detergent to disperse. I've tried them in both hot and cold water. They dissolve well and leave no residue on the clothes.

I do recommend this product, but I can't give it five stars because it doesn't get the clothes quite as clean as some of the stronger detergents I've used. Sometimes after washing, there is still evidence of things spilled on my shirts. A couple of my workout t-shirts still had a very faint smell of perspiration in the armpits after having been washed in this detergent. Nothing anyone else would be able to smell. I had to stick my nose right up to the fabric, but still, not as clean as you might like. Using two pods instead of one with those smellier loads may be a solution. I haven't tried that yet.

October 18, 2012
Editing to report that I have since tried using two pods on those loads of workout clothes, and that is enough to eliminate the funky smell.

1.0 out of 5 stars It ruined my clothing., December 1, 2013
This review is from: Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Packs, Free and Clear, 50 Count (pack of 2) (Health and Beauty)
I am going to make this very clear - this product ruined my clothing. It faded spots, and I had to throw out multiple pieces of clothing over the course of a month. The first time it happened, I thought it may have been a fluke. Then it happened twice more. I will never use this product again.

1.0 out of 5 stars It isn't natural. Why do synthetic chemicals count as natural?, October 1, 2012
Chris (Tampa, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This isn't a green product despite the name. Sodium lauryl sulfate is pure chemical detergent and you'll find the same thing in all the regular detergents (Tide, All, etc...). Even if it is made from plants, it isn't a natural item. There is a reason why the other green brands are very clear when they list that it is an "SLS" free product. Just wanted to make sure buyers were aware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still on a quest for the perfect detergent pack..., May 30, 2013
Amazon Customer (CA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Packs are super convenient (packed well, no mess, resistant to melting). And after washing clothes look clean, even whites. However, they don't smell clean. I am not picking up any discernible sandalwood or orange scent despite manufacturer claims. And once again, I am using two packets per load. One packet simply does not manage the job. My search continues...

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, December 5, 2012
This works great with our new energy efficient washing machine. I like how it takes out the extra step of pouring liquid detergent into the machine and wondering what to do with the messy cap. We are big fans of the 7th generation product in our household, so it doesn't surprise me that we are happy with this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars These laundry packs work pretty well. The ewg website gives them an A ..., August 1, 2014
These laundry packs work pretty well. The ewg website gives them an A so even though not all ingredients are totally safe and 100% natural these are still a much better option than many other laundry packs out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars decent, not great, September 18, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Packs, Mandarin and Sandalwood could be better

They have a decent scent that's not too strong.. But they still leave clothes smelling bad

I washed about 15 loads so far. Visually, I can see clean. However, with some loads, my clothes still smell dirty. and that's not a good thing.

When I wash clothes, I expect them to look and smell clean, not one or the other.
These need improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Natural and Convenient, September 2, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
After trying some dropps softner that came in the same little plastic parcels of powder and being impressed, I thought I'd try these natural laundry detergent packs. We avoid the mainstream liquid detergents like Tide after reading that laundry detergents are one of the biggest cancer risks from common domestic products today.

We have been using the natural liquid laundry detergents but thought we would try these. Liquid detergents tend to be messy. These little packets are so clean and easy by comparison. Just drop one in if you have a small to medium load of lightly soiled clothes or two if you have medium to large load of soiled clothes and turn the machine on.

We have been using these natural laundry detergent packs for a couple of weeks now and like them. The clothes have no chemical odor and our dog who seems to be very sensitive to the perfumes they put in laundry products has been coughing less frequently. And that probably means they're better for us as well.

Are these much better than the usual natural liquid detergents? It's difficult to say. But they are definitely more convenient. We don't need to use the detergent tray and measure the volume of liquid. Just drop the packets in the bottom of the laundry, turn on and leave it to take care of business.

$46.94 $29.98