Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Scent Name: Free and Clear|Size: 50 Count (pack of 2)|Change
Price:$112.67 - $119.95

VINE VOICEon September 15, 2012
Positives:
1) Pods are easy to use;
2) Mandarin & Sandalwood scent is light & doesn't linger after the clothes are washed;
3) Dissolve completely in cold, warm & hot water;
4) Can use in Front Loader washers

Negatives:
1) 1 pod doesn't really seem to clean even lightly soiled clothes very well;
2) Cigarette smells remain on clothes even after washing & dog smells remain on dog bed covers after washing;

I really wanted to like this product. I am not a fan of perfumey detergents & this Seventh Generation Natural detergent would have been perfect for my needs. The problem is that is just doesn't do a very good job cleaning clothes. I've resorted to washing with 2 pods, which is not really cost-effective, & I still don't think that my clothes are as clean as they could be. I thought that perhaps advertising has "conditioned" us to think that clothes aren't clean unless they smell clean, but after washing cigarette infused clothes & dog beds (I wash the smoker's clothes separately from other clothes & was the dog beds in their own load) & having the cigarette smell & dog smell remain, I've decided that the Seventh Generation just doesn't work. I'm disappointed.
44 comments|36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon October 23, 2012
I have been a user of Seventh Generation products for years. In the case of this company, they actually do produce products which have a smaller impact on the environment. This laundry cleaning product, for example, is manufactured without phosphorous. This is important. Our wastewater eventually find its way into our streams, lakes, reservoirs, and eventually back into our drinking water. Phosphorous promotes algae growth which degrades water quality.

Recently, Westchester County, NY, where I live, enacted laws to phase out the use of phosphorous containing lawn fertilizer. Seventh Generation has taken the phosphorous out of this new product. This will improve our water quality.

I used a detergent packet first on dark clothes. As instructed, I placed a packet at the bottom of my top-loading washer. Then, I put a load of dark clothes in the washer. I used the cold-cold cycle as I do for my usual liquid detergent. The clothes emerged clean. After drying, they were clean, soft, and without significant odor. The packet did work without leaving a residue. I next tried a load of white clothes. The results were as good as those for the dark clothes.
on August 31, 2012
This is the first product I've tried from Seventh Generation, and I'm pleased by their truth in advertising. I'm very sensitive to fragrances. I've tried other laundry products billed as "all natural," only to find that the fragrances were synthetic, and so potent that I couldn't wear my clothes without sneezing, runny nose, and sore throat. One "natural" product I tried required three extra washings just to get rid of the fragrance so I could wear my clothes again!

Seventh Generation states that this detergent has no synthetic fragrances or dyes, so I decided to take a chance on it. I'm happy to report that I love the fragrance and have had no unpleasant reaction to any of the ingredients. No itching skin, and no problem with the fragrance. The sandalwood/citrus smell is very pleasant but very faint. You can just barely smell it when you put your nose right up to the clothes. And that's the way I like it. Just enough to know the clothes are freshly laundered. If you don't have a sensitive sniffer, you may not be able to smell it at all.

I like this detergent and the convenience of the pre-measured pods. You do need to put the pods in the washing machine before adding the clothes so the coating can dissolve in the water and allow the detergent to disperse. I've tried them in both hot and cold water. They dissolve well and leave no residue on the clothes.

I do recommend this product, but I can't give it five stars because it doesn't get the clothes quite as clean as some of the stronger detergents I've used. Sometimes after washing, there is still evidence of things spilled on my shirts. A couple of my workout t-shirts still had a very faint smell of perspiration in the armpits after having been washed in this detergent. Nothing anyone else would be able to smell. I had to stick my nose right up to the fabric, but still, not as clean as you might like. Using two pods instead of one with those smellier loads may be a solution. I haven't tried that yet.

October 18, 2012
Editing to report that I have since tried using two pods on those loads of workout clothes, and that is enough to eliminate the funky smell.
on August 1, 2014
These laundry packs work pretty well. The ewg website gives them an A so even though not all ingredients are totally safe and 100% natural these are still a much better option than many other laundry packs out there.
VINE VOICEon May 30, 2013
Seventh Generation Natural Laundry Detergent Packs are super convenient (packed well, no mess, resistant to melting). And after washing clothes look clean, even whites. However, they don't smell clean. I am not picking up any discernible sandalwood or orange scent despite manufacturer claims. And once again, I am using two packets per load. One packet simply does not manage the job. My search continues...
on October 1, 2012
This isn't a green product despite the name. Sodium lauryl sulfate is pure chemical detergent and you'll find the same thing in all the regular detergents (Tide, All, etc...). Even if it is made from plants, it isn't a natural item. There is a reason why the other green brands are very clear when they list that it is an "SLS" free product. Just wanted to make sure buyers were aware.
on December 1, 2013
I am going to make this very clear - this product ruined my clothing. It faded spots, and I had to throw out multiple pieces of clothing over the course of a month. The first time it happened, I thought it may have been a fluke. Then it happened twice more. I will never use this product again.
on November 12, 2015
I used this for years. It is perfect for those allergic to most other detergents with the only proviso being that it usually takes two pods to do the job - think 2 to tango. Now I am searching a new brand since the price doubled since July and the new cost is ridiculous. If it returns to old cost, or even close to it, I'll buy it again.
on January 28, 2013
I love 7th generation stuff...except this. Omg. I smell like a dirty hippy. There really is no mandarin smell, only sandalwood. I would throw it away if I didn't feel so guilty about it. Don't buy this stinkiness
on June 1, 2014
At first appearance, this detergent seems to work well. However, I have found that certain areas of work clothes are not thoroughly cleaned, and some possible odors may remain. I now only use this product on lightly soiled items and use the "regular" colored liquids for heavily soiled items.