5.0 out of 5 stars great! but morons have to be careful assembling
Published on April 26, 2011 by dumbastheycome

Published on September 21, 2011 by Ravi tejwani

5.0 out of 5 stars great! but morons have to be careful assembling, April 26, 2011
This review is from: Seville Classics Expandable Closet Organizer STR05813 (Kitchen)
I am not an avid review writer yet I feel compelled to write this to spare others the sheer frustration and agony I experienced assembling this monster. So i put the sucker together earlier today and it took me a whopping 3 hours. What in the world. Also, the finished product was super unsteady, wobbling all over the place. I wondered what the hell the other reviewers were talking about - sturdy my behind! In spite of that, I fully stocked the shelves with clothes, though I didn't dare hang anything until I mounted the son of a gun to the wall - otherwise that monster was begging to come down. Heck, I'm surprised it didn't topple over and knock me out as I sat 2 feet away from it, staring, filled with regret. I kept gazing over at it throughout the day..terrified it would collapse and in the process perhaps murder human visitors and pets alike. Super uneasy, I logged back on to amazon and zoomed in on the stock photos of the thing. Theirs looked different. Very Different. Where the heck were all the black sleeves? Finally, I realized my mistake! I PUT ALL THE SHELVES ON UPSDE DOWN - LIP UP! And I cannot for the life of me understand how you all didn't do the same thing. Why on earth would I assume it went down. Up makes more sense. Like a basket. Anyways, long story slightly less long...I disassembled and then reassembled and 45 minutes later I have work of art. I'm still scared to hang stuff on it before mounting(bad experience with other makeshift closets) but this beast is lookin good. UPDATE: STILL THRILLED WITH MY PURCHASE, BEST BUY EVER!

4.0 out of 5 stars sturdy closet, December 17, 2009
Very sturdy, easily put together -although repetitive and time consuming. Holds plenty of clothes and jackets and i have at least 60 hanging things on it. Exactly what I expected. Perfect for what I needed. Extra clothes wardrobe.

The drawback is that the height could be a little taller, meaning the shirts are too long as to fit on the upper and lower shelf simulataneously, because the bottom portion of the shirts drape on the floor if shirts are on lower tier. (if shirts are on upper tier - they hang overtop the lower tier). Does that make sense???? In other words, if you hang two shirts up, one lower and one upper, one of the two shirts is going to either be touching the floor, or touching the lower tier where other clothers are hanging. Could be 6 inches taller i guess. Or just hang pants and shirts on different tiers?

But then again, I am a man, so female clothing would probably not overlap when hanging as much. I wear larges. This was my only concern, otherwise its perfect for what i needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good buy, pretty happy, just a couple things..., April 9, 2012
I'm pretty happy with this item. It is pretty much exactly what I thought it would be and what I wanted, a freestanding set of shelves (which I put in my closet to replace those cheap-looking wire shelves). I don't regret buying it.

Having said that, there are a couple of "issues" (not necessarily problems) that anyone thinking about buying this should be aware of.

1. Yes, it expands from 4 feet or so out to 8 feet or so. But be warned, the advantage of expanding it is offset by the weight allowance-the more you expand it, the less weight you can put on the hanging bars. When it is not expanded at all, you can put 125 lbs on each bar. Expanded all the way, that drops to 50 lbs per bar. So you get more room to hang stuff, but the weight you can put on the bar is less, so you reach a point of diminishing returns.

2. This isn't even really an issue, just a recommendation. The directions say to put the first (bottom) hanging bar between the second and third shelves. I recommend you put it between the third and fourth instead (you'll understand what I mean when you are putting it together). If you follow the directions, almost anything you put on the bottom hanging bar will drag on the ground. It needs to be a little higher, which it will be if you follow my advice. That will mean the clothes on the top hanging bar hang down over those on the bottom bar, but I think that's preferable to having your clothes dragging on the floor.

Just my two cents. Overall, a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars expandable closet, February 5, 2011
Very sturdy. Easier to assemble if you start with the bottom half rod putting on shelving.Then put on the top rod and finish putting on shelving. Change spacing for different size shoes, boots, etc. Measure the distance from the top rod to the second rod to make sure you have just enough clearance, so you can double hang clothes. Bottom rod shirts will still touch the floor, so, I put bed rises under the four legs on both sides. Now, the clothes will not touch the floor. Thinking about buying another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value for the Price, November 1, 2009
I recently built a new house, and can't afford the built in closet that I want at the moment, so rather than just installing closet rods, I decided to buy a couple of these until I can afford to do what I really want.
Assembly is fairly simple, and the instructions are sufficient, if not as detailed as I would like. It took about 45 minutes to completely assemble the first one, and I expect the second one to take 25 minutes or so.
I am pretty satisfied with the sturdiness, although you cannot completely expand the rods and keep the stability. I would say you lose about 6-8 inches length.
The organizer is OK to look at, but would have been more attractive in a brushed chrome finish instead.
It includes a little strap to screw it to the wall to increase stability, but if I load it up enough to make it wobbly, I will probably brace it with something other than a little cloth strap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could use a little more depth, but still excellent!, August 12, 2012
Simplicity!!! A screwdriver is all you need. We had our eye on the John Louis system which listed a SAW as a part of the list of tools we need, a pencil & leveler, and by reading the reviews, lots of screws and anchors cause there will be a lot of drilling into the wall. We said forget about it!!! The Seville Classic is a quality heavy steel set that is free-standing, no need to drill into walls. You'll only need a screw driver to tighten the hanging rods on the system. This system is not elegant wood, but it's not $100 more either. You save money, your wall, and lots of labor hours.

To save yourself from a little anxiety, you should know that when you open up the box, there will be these black plastic end caps falling out all over the place. I was worried because the first thing I like to do when assembling is to make sure all the pieces in the box are complete. I was immediately worried when these plastic caps were all over the place, not only that, some of them were warped and broken. I thought, "Dang, I'm going to have to call Seville for some replacement parts." It turns out that these end caps have nothing to do with the system. They were fitted on the shelves to minimize the clanking of the metal during transit. There will be a bag with plastic caps that you will be using, but these are neatly inside a sealed bag, so you'll know the difference. The loose ones, don't worry about them. When you open up your package and these caps start falling out.. Don't fret, you won't be using them.

As for the closet system itself, it works! They even come with earthquake safety straps, but for us, this system is going inside a closet behind sliding glass doors. There is no need for us to use it. The plastic liners for each shelf was a nice finishing touch. It is pretty sturdy, and it feels like quality because it's made of steel and it's heavy. My closet depth is 24 inches, so I wish the shelves were bigger, at least 18 inches square would have been ideal. This system is barely 14 inches, you need to round up to call it 14 inches. The John Louis system that I mentioned above is 12 inches deep. So I guess the puny depth is normal for these types of products? Anyway, take a close look at the pictures, the stock picture showing the empty rack makes it look like the top shelf is one long piece, but it's not. Take a look at the picture with clothes, when the rods are expanded, you have a hole in the middle. This is important because if you're fitting this system into a closet like us, and it's expanded and fills the whole closet from end to end, then you'll find that passing/stacking storage boxes to the very top shelf is impossible, you'll need to use the hole/space in the middle. Credit the Seville team for thinking ahead!! Which brings me back to the depth issue. I think they made these shelves 14 inches to help our maneuverability in the closet. But even at 14 inches, I still had to use the middle space to stack boxes to the top. So whether it's 14, 18, or 20 inches, it wouldn't have mattered, you'll still need to use the middle space to stack boxes to the top, so why not make the shelves bigger? I think 18" would have been perfect. And for those who are using it free-standing outside of a closet, then bigger would definitely be ideal.

Anyway, I still love this system and giving it a 5 stars! Like I said, I could use more depth, but it's especially acceptable in our situation because it's installed in the nursery room. How big are baby clothes anyway? :) Lastly, you don't need to follow the instructions to a T. You can adjust these shelves to any height you want. You can adjust the rods anywhere you want. Some people complain their clothes are touching the floor, well don't follow the instructions to a T! Move your rod up a few notches! However, you'll need to plan it out first. Adjustments are difficult and it'll take some strength and jiggling to remove the shelves once you slide them in. So plan out exactly how you want the shelves to look in terms of distance from each other and at what level you want the rods. We changed our minds several times, and it was hard work lifting the shelves back out. So I cannot stress this enough, think and plan ahead first!! Because when you start, you'll be tempted to breeze along because it's so easy to assemble, but once you change your mind, dissembling is the hard part.

One last thing! Read the review by DUMBASTHEYCOME, I believe it's currently voted as the most helpful review. I don't know if I would have made the same mistake as that reviewer, but that was a good heads up and because I read it beforehand, I didn't have to think twice as to how the shelves should slide in. So thank you dumbastheycome!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to Assemble, Does the Job, April 19, 2011
I have waaaay too many clothes for the space in which I live. The closets are adequate, but I really need an extra room or large walk-in. Anyway, enough complaining.

This saved my room and my bed and my life from being a complete disaster. It isn't a thing of beauty, but organization is much more attractive than mayhem.

It went together in about 20 minutes. It feels very sturdy. And this price on Amazon is about $40 cheaper than Walmart--I checked. Good value, and not so ugly you will want to throw up every time you see it. In a closet or extra room, this would be great.

**The price on Amazon increased since I purchased this. Now it looks like it is only about $20 cheaper than Walmart. Still a good value...bummer about the big price jump. FYI I bought this FROM Amazon with Prime shipping for about $90

4.0 out of 5 stars Alternative Use, October 10, 2011
I use these closet organizers for an odd purpose: convention/expo shelving. Typical convention booth structures cost thousands of dollars. I can buy one of these shelving units, have it shipped free (Prime membership, baby) to the convention city and set it up in less than 30 minutes. I turn the top two shelves out at about waist height so I can put brochures and other paperwork on them and use the other shelves to display my products.

The chrome shines nicely under convention floor lights and looks extremely professional. Best part? I don't pay to ship it home. I drop it off at a local charity thrift store to be sold and benefit the people in the community where I have just exhibited.

It does take some planning to put this thing together and the layout that the instructions suggest might not be the best for you. You should consider that it will take you at least two builds to get this thing the way you really want it. But it's worth the effort. Oh, and don't forget that you have to put everything on in order, starting from the bottom up. So if you want to add a piece in the middle, you'll have to take all the stuff above it off. I use a rubber mallet to seat the shelves and to take it apart when I'm done at the convention.

4.0 out of 5 stars only One draw back, February 11, 2010
Melissa Boots (Massachusettes USA) - See all my reviews
This is a beautiful solution to my wardrobe problem. I will concur with the other reviewer it could use another 6 inches as it is. I moved the bottom bar down one notch and the top bar up one notch so the top bars clothes dont hang into the bottoms bar but this leaves a bottom rack that is only good for skirts and shorts! it is problematic however I have loads of skirts and shorts so it works for me. If you are tall this probably will b e aggravating for you but if your petite this is an amazing sturdy really nice rack. It expands a long way you can fit tons of clothes on it without any problems :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great price, chrome shavings - do not assemble with children around, September 21, 2011
Ravi tejwani (New Jersey, USA) - See all my reviews
Arrived promptly after the order. As several other reviews mentioned, assembly instructions are not the best. However if you have experience assembling other things, it should be a breeze to put together. Does a good job, could have been 4 inches deeper, as we have some space leftover in the closet and are left wanting some space on the shelves. As some reviews pointed out, its good enough for a kids room closet.
The biggest problem was that the chrome polish shavings were falling from the piece. I did not notice any place on the organizer where they must have come from. Who expects getting splinter from chrome, we got two! WEAR GLOVES, Keep Children away when assembling and clean up well after you are done.

ARRAY(0xa0455a5c)