Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on June 3, 2011
I was thinking of buying a kayak just to get out on the water, and maybe for fishing. I live in an apartment in the city, however, and have no place to keep a hardside boat unless I consider it furniture. When I read about inflatable kayaks I was interested, but skeptical. I checked around, and narrowed my choice to this Sevylor and the Sea Eagle. I went with the Sevylor at $105 plus shipping, and I'm pretty happy so far.

I went to a small (45 acre) lake to give the thing trial run. I had to hike about 1/2 mile down a trail to get to the lake. I was alone, and able to carry the deflated boat, all my fishing gear, and a few other things this distance without too much trouble. I inflated the boat in about ten minutes with a hand pump, and was on the water. I paddled the entire length of the lake, heading into a stiff wind (about 15mph) without breaking a sweat. I have the skeg, and didn't have any problems with tracking. At the far end of the lake, I used a 5 lb. anchor while fishing several small coves. It worked perfectly. I caught a couple of bass and some panfish, and found the boat to be stable in the water the entire time and surprisingly comfortable. After a couple of hours I had fished my way back to the landing, deflated and packed everything back to the car.

If you're a serious, hardcore kayaker... go buy a kayak. If you want to be able to explore a lake and go fishing on a whim for less than $200 (boat, paddle, pump, etc.)with a boat that you can fit in the trunk of a hatchback, I'd get this thing.

Update: 8/7/11

I have used this boat several times over the last couple of months. I can report that it is holding up well, and I'm still very happy with the purchase.

I eventually did take it out with a passenger, and found that it feels just as stable while carrying two people as it does with one.

This is a nice, convenient item for the price.

Update: 8/7/11
review image review image review image
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2010
We needed a cheap way to get into kayaking and found this kayak on Amazon. If cheap and easy is what you are after this is the way ahead. We got it to the lake and had it inflated in minutes with a coleman quick pump(which is not that good). I also purchased a skeg and some ali paddles.

Minutes later we were paddling around the lake figuring out turns and direction techniques. We have also been down flat water rivers and have had great fun. The boat is super stable and even take our 7 month old in it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 19, 2011
This kayak is a lot of fun. Wife and I take it out to Grapevine Lake, in Grapevine, Tx. It is a big lake, with lots of boats. Keep reading for details on that. We take it out to the middle of the lake and just relax there.

Pretty sturdy, I was a bit scared the first time we took it out, but after the first time I became very comfortable with it. The lake where we go is pretty deep so I'm not concerned with branches or big rocks sticking out. As soon as we leave the shore, I'm worry free, though I bring the patch with me just in case (and my PFD). We thought about going to Trinity River in Arlington, the water there was great, but there were too many branches sticking out of the water, so I'd rather take a hard shelled kayak there. Other than that, the valves are great, excellent quality PVC.

After reading all the reviews, we bought the directional skeg with the kayak, so I never tried it w/o the skeg. The skeg keeps you straight, but of course it is not perfect. If 2 of you are on the kayak, you will have to coordinate your paddles, and both have to try to keep it straight. Sometimes we have problems on windy days, the wind & current can make you go around in circles, but that is expected given the size of the thing. I'd say winds under 20mph should be OK for fun kayaking. If you stay close to the shore, it should help as well. And for beginner kayakers, keep the paddling smooth and uniform. Another tip for keeping it straight, but again, sometimes the wind will turn you no matter what and you'll have to correct your direction very often. Wakes created by boats and jet-skis don't seem to affect it that much (actually they make the paddling more fun).

--Size & Seating
I've heard some comments about the size and fitting 2 people. I am 5'11", the wife is 5'4". We both fit just fine. We even bought a dry bag to carry our belongings (wallet, cell phone) and we put that under the canopy in the back. One problem we had in the beginning was the front seat. The backseat almost feels like a recliner, and it's very comfortable, but the front seat kept moving a lot, since it doesn't have anything to lean on (except for the legs of the person behind you). The way we solved that was by undoing part of the string tying down the front canopy, and using that to tie the seat (there's a hole in the middle, we just tie it there). That seems to hold the seat up pretty well, doesn't slide at all, so it's more comfortable for the kayaker in front. Also, the seats can be a pain to inflate, but they don't take much air. I'm still researching a replacement seat option.

--Portability & related items
Fits in the trunk of our small sedan just fine. We bought these items as well:
Coleman 12-Volt DC QuickPump - Good pump, we're in the water in 5-10 mins.
Kwik Tek Deluxe Kayak Paddle 2 sect Alum 84" Curved Blade - 2 sections, so they fit in your trunk even if you have a small car.
Ascend(tm) Heavy-Duty Round-Bottom Dry Bags -keeps your valuables dry.
O'rageous® Men's PFD Neoprene Life Vest - fit pretty well, comfy, though I tend to unbuckle it sometimes for easier paddling.
on September 19, 2011
I bought this kayak last year and I'm still enjoying it a year later. I had already been an avid kayaker prior to my purchase but I needed an inflatable because I drive a Miata. At a moment's notice, I can pack the kayak, 2 seats, 2 paddles, the pump, and pfd in the trunk of my convertible - see attached pic. This for me was worth its weight in gold and considering I paid $115, excluding add-ons, scored a screaming deal!

A few add-ons/upgrades are necessary for a richer experience: 1)get a high quality paddle. This thing is a beast on windy days, specially going upstream. The only reason I went with a 2-piece paddle is because I can't fit the full length with the top up. You're definitely exerting more effort given that you sit lower and the two air chambers force you to paddle wider, like a canoe - think of it as a good workout rather than an easy paddle. That said, I've taken a front passenger for ride and paddled the yak on my own, no problem. 2)I got a double action hand pump so the yak and seats are ready to go in 15min. You'll need at least 2 different sized pump connectors for the double lock valves. 3)Definitely get the skeg for a noticeable difference paddling around large lakes. It's not a fast ride but it's super comfy. 4)Get the high-backrest seats. I sit cross-legged and get pretty good back support for about 4hours.

There's plenty of room for a dry bag, or two, but the floor will get wet, even if you close the bow self-bailing cover. I wish there was a way to attach the paddle to side. Speaking of attachments, the ties for the bow and stern covers are helpful when attaching a rope, anchor, or bag. Knocking on every piece of wood I can find, so far no punctures. I try to be careful around rocks, asphalt and grassy areas and carry duck tape...just in case. I also attached a strap on the bow & stern so that I can pick it up instead of dragging it - see pic attached. Oh, and as far as air pressure goes, there's a gauge on each of the air chambers that basically don't work. My pump has a gauge too but that broke shortly after I got it. So my advice is to try not to over-inflate and hope for the best.

There are better inflatables out there for sure, but for <$150, the Tahiti goes in the smallest of trunks and rides confidently in large bodies of water.

Happy paddling \m/
review image review image
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
When I was looking for an inflatable boat I was looking for ease of inflating and deflating while I was camping. It is very easy to inflate and deflate. I would recommend buying an electric pump that also deflates as well. Fishing can be a bit challenging at first because of the light weight which causes drift especially when fighting the fish, but after hours of practice you will learn the dynamics of the boat and it will become second nature. This boat is great for double kayaking with a friend.
on July 8, 2010
I have a small car and this works perfect for when I am wanting to float about the lakes while camping. I can blow it up and I am on my way. It is very sturdy. I have purchased two boat cushions that I sit on when rowing to bring my body up, it is easier. I also bought the SKEG, this is a must, keeps you from spinning in the lake. I haven't quite figured out the sides which have indicators on them, sure I will figure out the right amount of air with use. Overall an awesome ride!
on May 22, 2012
This kayak is pretty nice for the price. It's significantly less than other inflatable kayaks.

Tips though: Keep it in the shade when you can. Do not store this boat in the trunk or back seat of your car. The seems will experience stress from the heat, and eventually break. Patching does little for the seams in the floor. So keep the boat stored in a cool place. I'd also recommend not having the boat out on open water in the sun for too long.

Overall for the price this is a great boat.

I've used it for roughly a year now, and on many trips. From big bass to big sun fish this boat gets the job done. I've caught plenty of sun fish, crappie, bass, etc... on this boat. It does just enough for what you need without being too bulky for basic fishing trips.

If you want a 10" crappie or a 35" pike this is the cheap alternative for you.
on December 29, 2011
Works well, and the only problem is that it keeps turning around in water! Then I bought a skeg and it's kind of better, but when there is wind, it still turns around. Probably we are too light, ~280lbs for two? Even we are relatively small size, there is not much space for fishing.
Anyway, nice kayak for fun, but if you really want to go fishing, I would recommend something else.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2012
I did not like this kayak. We ordered this kayak after we ordered the sevylor sit on top kayak. That one we love! This one feels awkward, and I can't even imagine the hassle it would be to try and fish in. Returning it was no problem despite the fact that we couldn't put it back in the original box. Amazon is great when it comes to customer service. I do recommend the sit on top kayak, which is a great bargain and come with 2 built in skegs. (this one does not).
on August 27, 2012
Here is the deal. This is not a fancy expensive professional Kayak. You should understand that from the price. Now that this is out of the way, this thing was lots of fun. My wife and I got one because we wanted to try kayaking. We purchased the optional Skeg because everyone else recommended it. Our very first trip was taking it out on the Corpus Christi Bay. It was very windy and we were able to go with the wind and against the wind just fine. It was a blast... My wife is 5'5" 115lbs I am 5'10" 185lbs we both fit in it fine. I even sat a small cooler between my legs. We had so much fun with it that we are going to buy another so we can take out kids out with us. I would recommend getting some decent paddles though, we bought some cheap ones and I broke mine after an hour. You don't have to spend $$$$ hundreds to have fun.