Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sew What You Love: The Easiest, Prettiest Projects Ever
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on January 13, 2012
The author does a fantastic job outlining projects in this book. The instructions are very clear and the patterns included are fantastic. I really loved the bags and sewing for yourself sections of this book. I gave it three stars because I felt that a large portion of this book was devoted to clothing for little girls and baby toys. Those of us with older children end up with a lot of projects that will never be attempted. Great for someone with a baby or toddler girl, those of us with boys are kinda left out though.
44 comments| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 28, 2011
Sew What You Love has a wonderful, romantic feel to it and is just a beautifully made book. I've sewn my whole life and the patterns often came with confusing or complex instructions that I had a hard time deciphering. I really appreciated the clear wording and illustrations in Sew What You Love, all of which made perfect sense and enabled me to easily understand them.

The main thing that I noticed about Sew What You Love is that all of the sewing creations look like they came from a high end shop, rather than being "homemade". Tanya's fresh and gorgeous fabrics from her own line at Grand Revival Design certainly helped with that, but also the clean lines and beautiful style of each of the projects made them into something that anyone would be proud to wear or have in their home.

Sew What You Love has four chapters of lovely suggestions: Handmade Handbags, Sewing for Little Ones, Home Style, and Personal Style. All of the creations are quite simple and even beginners could accomplish them. It also comes with full size patterns in a rose covered pouch in the back of the book, so you can get started sewing right away! I just loved the delightful Ruffled Skirt for little ones and the La Dolce Vita Peasant blouse for teens, in addition to pincushions, apron, quilts, purses, baby toys and more.

Sew What You Love really made me motivated to get out my sewing machine with all of its simple, yet beautiful ideas. I know I'll be using it for many years to come!
on April 13, 2012
I am relatively new to the sewing book world - I've been picking things up mostly by instinct and looking at reviews from other sewists. This book was mentioned by several folks on blogs and sewing sites so despite it looking very "cutesy" to me on the cover, I decided to give it a try. The book is thoughtfully put together (even spiral bound so you can have it open on your project table as you sew (OTHER PUBLISHERS OF SEWING BOOKS TAKE NOTE - THIS IS SOOOOOOOO CONVENIENT), the photographs are lovely and the instructions incredibly easy to follow. There are many ways to alter the simple patterns to create lots of diversity in the wardrobe, and the fabrics used in examples in the book are gorgeous. I've made several projects from the book already, many of which introduced me to shirring with elastic tape. I must agree with the author that whoever invented elastic thread deserves an award!! I've taken this technique and tried it on all sorts of garments that need close shaping - eliminating darting in some cases in favor of shirred areas. Must say, this revelation ALONE was worth the cost of the book - the fact that I have new skirts, dresses, blouses and purses that are beautiful and absolutely to my taste is like a gift with purchase... :) I'll be looking for more books by this author, to be sure!!
on January 8, 2012
I really love this book. Beautiful photography, easy to understand directions and listing of all the supplies you will need. Lovely author, you can tell through the book that she enjoys sharing her projects and wants the reader to get as much enjoyment out of it as she does.
I am not a great sewer but feel that all the projects are with in my ablity and some will push me to become better.
on April 19, 2012
I just love this book. Yes, a lot of the projects are for kids or babies. Haven't got those. But they've given me great ideas for baby shower gifts. Plus, I'm pretty sure I can use the instructions to make the girls' skirts for myself.
I've only been able to make one of the projects, but it went together really easily. I made the Big Easy Sling Bag. The instructions are clear and easy to follow. In reading over the other patterns, I'm pretty sure they will be the same.
My particular book was missing one of the pattern sheets, but Amazon is sending me a new book, so I can finally get around to making the women's clothing.
I also really love the tips in the beginning of the book. I never would have thought of using shower curtains for patterns, but it works fabulous!
on January 5, 2012
I love Tanya Whelan. I fell in love with her fabrics and they remain my favorite patterns and I'm guilty of hoarding them so I was so excited to see a book of her charming designs coming out. I received it today with much fanfare and almost assault of the UPS man. I opened the book with bated breath.

The bags are lovely and instructions very clear and gentle coaching through the scarier steps. Then I excitedly get to the clothes which is honestly the part I was most anticipating having seen the illustrations in the Amazon preview BUT the patterns only go up to a size 14. So sad. I understand that only so many sizes can be covered but I really was hoping I could make something I could wear. Oh well, I guess that just another incentive to try to learn how to either enlarge patterns or stop having babies and lose a few inches.

I may give the Go-To top/ dress a shot and SEE if it might fit. Maybe in a knit? I still love you Tanya and look forward to making the other super cute projects like the soft shade for my vintage laundry room door window. This book really is like my Pinterest board in hardback spiral bound.
on January 4, 2012
Being a big fan of Tanya Whelan's fabric designs, I've been eagerly awaiting the release of this book. It did not disappoint. The patterns are charming and easy to follow. I particularly love the pages on how to use elastic thread for modern day shirring. Although I enjoy the look, I've been intimidated by using elastic thread. Her step-by-step instructions and suggestions for easy shirring projects have given me the confidence to dive on in.

Although a totally appropriate book for a novice, I think even experienced sewers would get enjoyment out of it.
on September 20, 2014
So far, I've made three projects in this book. I made the baby blocks and baby ball and put squeakers in each to use as dog toys. I also made the City Tote that is featured on the cover using the pattern included. This is the first bag I've ever made and I have to say it turned out better than it thought! As a beginner, I did have a little trouble understanding Whelan's directions. I had to redo my darts after I'd sewn all the way around the bag (simply because I've never done darts before!), and my handles don't look very nice on their undersides, but ultimately, I figured it out.
review image
on May 19, 2012
My husband "gave" me this book for Valentine's Day. I think I've spent at least 20 hours looking at it, and that doesn't include the sewing time. These projects are simple enough to complete quickly and are also great projects to sew with my girls (ages 9 and 12). Everything I have made from this book, I love. A huge thumbs up!
on January 6, 2012
I received my copy of "sew what you love" today & could not be happier! I have always wanted to create things like fabric boxes & quilts, but never had the know-how. Now with Tanya's book I will be able to make those & so much more! Very excited to try out all the patterns for the home, my daughter & myself! I bought this book on a chance ( knowing nothing about the author..) and I am so thankful I did! I am now a life long fan of Tanya's work! You can't go wrong in buying this book! ( just a side note: I consider myself a intermediate sewer at best, so if I can use these patters, so can you! :o)