5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!
Published on September 19, 2011 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
Published on September 21, 2011 by priz_m

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!, September 19, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
I've admired Alisa's art and worth ethic for several years and have had the pleasure of taking most of her online workshops...I know she worked really hard on this book, and all I can say is it was well worth the wait! This is a great book for beginners and for those with more experience. She keeps the supply list short and, as she does with her workshops, she tries to keep the list of supplies as inexpensive as possible. She is a great instructor, and makes every technique and project very doable with outstanding results. As a bonus, she has included a DVD where she demonstrates some of her techniques up close and personal such as free-motion stitching on her sewing machine.

The book is beautiful and filled with lots of colorful pictures and examples...she also includes some patterns for some of the projects.

The best part of the book for me is learning how to combine several of the art mediums and techniques that I love using to create my own surface design for fabric. Now I can really create 100% of my own designs!

The book is divided into five sections:
1. Materials and Tools (lots of pictures and detailed descriptions)
2. Color, Pattern, and Inspiration (she takes you by the hand and shows you how she gets inspired and where she gets her ideas)
3. Stitching Techniques (she demonstrates not just how to sew on the sewing machine, but how the stitching can add to the overall design and/or project)
4. Projects (one dozen projects including bracelets, belts, laptop and phone cases, pillows, aprons, scarf, and hat)

Alisa also includes a list of recommended reading and sources for some of the supplies.

I had this book on my wishlist since it was listed here at Amazon. It was well worth the wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was hoping for!, October 11, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
I have been enjoying this book and disk ever since receiving it a couple of weeks ago. I find it both exciting and inspiring! Freeform work is exactly what I want to do to get out of the 'box' I have been in for far too long, and Sew Wild does the trick! It's already gotten me to take a blank piece of muslin and start drawing on it, even though I don't normally draw at all. It was daunting, but I kept going and after awhile, I felt looser, and not so judgemental. And the work itself, when viewed as a whole, looked just fine! I'm finding the painting as much fun and releasing. Free motion stitching is what's next for me and I'm anxious to get started and keep practicing until things smooth out.
Very happy to be inspired to sometimes walk away from patterns and directions and just let the lines and colors tell me where to go next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rip, stitch, play, November 13, 2011
S. Fishburn (Fort Collins, Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
Pillows, aprons, belts, bags, hats! Rockin' designer Alisa Burke's projects are awash in bold and brilliant color, and incorporate economy, graffiti, improvisation, paint, printing, crazy quilt stitching, recycling, sketching. Explicit instructions and detailed patterns guide artists of all skill levels. Includes a fun techniques bonus dvd - definitely an entire week's worth of workshop in these action-packed 140 pages. Sew Wild is my personal best, hot technique bookshelf addition of 2011.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm so happy to own this book., September 25, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
Fabulous tutorial on many different techniques. The style is casual and comfortable. The processes are clearly explained and the pictures follow the narrative better than most. Usually in technique texts I might see one or two inspiring creations but this is page after page of not just inspiration but encouragement to try something or several somethings to break through any artistic barrier. From creating your own legal graffitti to carving your first woodblock, this is definitely a page turner. I may never buy commercial printed fabric again! This is must have to expand your artistic endeavors

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational book to get you sewing sew wild, November 4, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
OK, if you're familiar with painting and mixed-media art, the surface design techniques in this book may not be new to you. But used them to create your own unique fabrics, and then sew those together in author Alisa Burke's signature graffiti, messy stitching style and you get totally one-of-a-kind items.

I've followed the artist's blog for a while now and I love her fun, creative style - not only can you go wild with it, you can almost never go wrong because nothing has to be perfect. Her sewing style is wonderful for people who don't like or can't sew straight, who hate to follow patterns and measure (like me!) - and maybe even those of you who do sew straight and follow patterns to a T, if you're ready to break out of your comfort zone and experiment with messy freehand drawing and stitching, or colorful, grungy patchwork.

Burke's surface design techniques (among those covered here are doodling; freewriting, lettering and text; woodblock printing; creating patterns with glue resist; screenprinting with an embroidery hoop) are great for both paper, fabric and other mixed-media projects. While none were really new to me, I got a great refresher on glue resist and fusing plastics.

After the chapters on surface design techniques and stitching techniques (including free-motion stitching; journaling and writing with machine stitching; graffiti quilting), there are tutorials for 12 projects including bracelets, bags, pillows, an art quilt and a fabric wreath. Throughout, the photos are high-quality, the instructions clear and the DVD included is a super bonus - you get to see Burke in action demonstrating several techniques and putting together some projects.

This book is excellent inspiration for anyone wanting to break free of conventional sewing styles and techniques but I'd caution you to first take a look at Burke's blog to see if you like her style.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, September 21, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
I was really excited when I learned about this book, being a fan of the author I pre-order it without questions asked. It was delivered yesterday and it just wasn't what I expected. Maybe it was because it took so long to be released that I had built up expectations but I was not blown away like I've been with other books. I was not eager to try any of the projects and was hoping for a bit more detailed product resource list, as in, I know I can dye fabric with fabric dye but, which is the one Alisa uses and recommends? that sort of thing. I give it 3 stars for portability (great travel size), DVD included and of course the overall design of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sew Wild Creating with Stitch and Mixed Media-- Forget about the Rules and Play, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
Alisa Burke's creative mind overflows into the sewing world. Not really a sewing person, she discovers how to artistically use her sewing machine on all the colorful fabric she has created. Crafters as well as those who love to sew will be inspired to sit down at their sewing machines and stitch up some of the creative bold one-of-a-kind projects. She covers color, pattern, tools, surface design techniques, stitching techniques, and gives the reader 12 projects to get them started. There is a bonus DVD which will show the reader: Putting it all together, fabric flags, and fabric flowers. So "break the rules, find your style and sew wild!"

4.0 out of 5 stars Jump start, October 29, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
Full of accessible and fun projects to try. Even if you don't want to try the ideas as they are presented, it is a wonderful source for jump-starting your own creative battery! Well worth the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun sewing - variety of ideas, March 22, 2012
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
I have been sewing for longer than I care to admit. I've made everything from home items to baby and kid clothes to tailored suits for myself. I have some experience. I bought this book for the FUN element that I thought it would offer, not necessarily because I need to learn a lot about sewing. I'm really glad I got it. I had the author's Canvas Remix, so I had a small idea what I might find with this book. The thing I like the most is the surface design ideas [have lots of experience there, too]. The directions are clear, but not so leading that they inhibit your own creativity. the ideas are basically a jumping off point to do your own work. The back part of the book has some projects, and I probably won't get into those very much, as I'm pretty "old" for most of them! [eek I can't believe I said that]. A really nice bonus is the DVD with actual video of many of the techniques.

If you want to pass along a love of sewing, get this book for a young person who is interested, but hesitant. It will help them get into the process and loosen up - loose their fear and have FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Fun!!, October 1, 2011
This review is from: Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media (Paperback)
This book is full of fun and inspiring projects. I can't wait to get started. The DVD that is included with this book is fantastic. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media
Sew Wild: Creating With Stitch and Mixed Media by Alisa Burke (Paperback - September 27, 2011)
$26.95 $20.40