on December 9, 2010
This is a very good product, it's easy and intuitive to use, and it's cheap for what you get: a high-quality, well-constructed, three-piece banana plug. I bought two sets and I'm buying another three sets. The product was well packaged (although it's very sturdy so packaging doesn't really matter), was shipped promptly and arrived quickly. I was hesitant about purchasing because of the negative reviews and comments. To assist others I have written this to address some of those negative comments.

The 3 star review from Tudor is not for this product but for a different product. Tudor states that these plugs have a socket in back to plug in a second banana plug; this is incorrect, the product does not have such a feature, as can be seen by looking at the pictures.

The 1 star review from Tommy Lynn is incomprehensible to me. Although the review appears directed at specific faults in the product, I have now used and examined the product and Mr. Lynn's review simply makes no sense in light of how the product works and is used. For example, he says: "The screw isn't even long enough to get close unless you remove the plastic colored washers, which makes me question their effectiveness with smaller wire as well." This description does not track the product, which has no removable plastic washers and the set screw works perfectly fine. It may be that Mr. Lynn, like Tudor is talking about a different product.

The 3 star review from jharterman sates that the product is difficult to use because the set screw "doesn't screw tight enough (or not all of them) for 16-gauge wire." The set screw is small and requires the use of a small screwdriver of the sort readily available from the hardware store. If you use a correctly-sized screwdriver you can screw the set screw below the flush point on the cable bolt (see the last picture in the set of product pictures) and tighten the screw down securely on any gauge of wire, no matter how thin.

The 4 star review from alendar states: "I tried to connect from the end by pushing through and spreading the wire strands around the inside, but failed." This description does not fit the product, I cannot relate the description to any possible use of this product, and I have to believe this review is for a different product.

The 2 star review from W Welch appears accurate, but overly harsh. He says: "I finally had to remove the plastic color ring to get it to pinch on the wire, even using 12 gauge speaker wire." The plug is in three pieces, though the pictures show only two. The portion of the plug that covers the wire insulation separates into two pieces and when those two pieces are screwed securely together it causes the inner sleeve to tighten on the insulated portion of the wire. However, this feature will not work if the insulation is not fairly close in size to the diameter of the insulation cover. If the wire gauge is too thin for the insulator cover to fully tighten on the wire, the plug still works fine in every other way. The only advantage that this insulation-tightening feature provides is that one could, in theory, pull directly on the wire (as opposed to pulling on the plug itself) and have a lower probability of pulling the wire connection out. Again this is not a problem.

The negative comments in the 4 star review from Tony F seems directed at this same insulation sleeve issue. Again, this insulation-tightening feature of the plug, while it won't work with every gauge of wire, is not a critical feature, and arguably not even a useful feature unless you are determined that you have to pull your plugs out by the wire instead of by the plug.

The 1 star review from Hollowedman is inaccurate in every particular, it's just wrong. I cannot understand how anyone could have these experiences with this product and it appears to me that he is not talking about this product.

I really like this product. Overcharging for connectors has become a dirty business in hi fi and home theater where, as equipment prices are driven down by competition, the connector has become the profit center for the equipment seller. This is a great product and it's cheap. Don't be put off or confused by the negative comments.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2010
They're a solid set, good quality, and i was impressed by their appearance. They're convenient to use, they have a built-in socket in the back for other banana plugs (fairly standard feature)
I'm using them with 18-gauge wire with no troubles, only downside there is that you have to fold over the wire on itself to get enough thickness for the plug to grip - not even really enough an issue to be a con.

Only thing i noticed is that the gold plating rubs off pretty quickly, it'll survive maybe 20 or so repeated insertions / removals, even the knurled base has lost its gold plating just from being handled. If you're doing a permanent audio installation, I'd suggest investing in a fancier set, (especially since they do come loose easily, but not so easily as the 1/5 star reviewer suggests)
I only needed them for a short project, a way to hook up to an amp, and they were perfect for that.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2012
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and even the highest quality audio equipment won't sound good if the connections are corroded or frayed. Over time, your speaker wires can get worn or break, resulting in poor sound quality or even shorting out your amplifier or receiver. Banana plugs or spade connectors are an excellent way to prevent this from happening, and also make it much easier to disconnect and reconnect your speakers and amp/receiver. I ordered a set of Sewell Pro Maestro Banana Plugs and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. They were very easy to install with a small jeweler's screwdriver, and they will accommodate even heavy gauge wire. (Note: If you use thin speaker wire such as 16 gauge lamp cord you may want to wrap a small piece of electrical tape around the wire so the compression jacket grips it tightly. If the compression jacket does not grip the wire sleeve then the plug will only be attached by a small screw holding the wire to the plug's connector.) When the product arrived, the outer jacket of one of the plugs was missing. The rest of the set was fine, and the plug would have worked okay without the outer sleeve, but since I payed for a complete set that is what I expected. I sent an email to the seller telling them one of the plugs was missing a part, and they immediately sent me a new set - no questions asked! Kudos to Sewell for not only making an excellent product, but for backing it up with outstanding customer service!
on April 15, 2013
I bought the Sewell Pro Maestro Banana Plugs (Sewell P/N: SW-29221; ASIN: B003EGIE2S) to pair with some 14AWG copper wire for my home theater system.

Out of the box, the first thing I noticed was that they have a nice heft and a professional polish that work to convey a satisfying feeling of quality. It's almost a shame they have to be hidden at the back of a receiver.

The back of the connector tip is machined to accept a large gauge of wire. I have 14AWG. I found that by folding a 3/4" (19.05mm) length of wire in half and tightening the set screw I could get the wire to fit perfectly and securely. My receiver reports no faults at all.

The set screw requires a very small flat-head screwdriver. If you don't at least have a cheap set of jewelers screwdrivers, I recommend picking one up.

My only gripe is that because the body of the connector is made to accommodate such a large gauge, smaller wires are left to loosely flop around at the base. This is not really a fault, though. It's just a small price to pay for the flexibility this product allows.
on April 30, 2010
The banana plugs in question are really a great value and are of very good quality; after looking at various other plus, some very pricey-monster, 20 for 2 pairs-i settled on purchasing these. They get the job done and I have had no problems what so ever, they might not be the best plugs available but for the price they cannot be beat. Solid quality (over 14 grams per plug), good connection and price, I'd say that they are an excellent buy. Not quite perfect but still great overall.
on June 16, 2012
Don't pay attention to the 1 star reviews. None of them must know how to use banana plugs.

I purchased 2 sets of these and plan on purchasing 2 more. I'm using it on 14awg. If you are using thinner gauge wire, like me, I recommend folding over the exposed copper strands to "double up" the thickness and then tightening the set screw onto the wire. By doing this the set screw securely holds my speaker wire in place even if I give it a decent tug.

This really isn't a complaint, but just in case someone wants to know; The plugs are grey, and not black as they appear in the picture.

I've been looking around for banana plugs, and even monoprice (after shipping, I live in Hawaii. ymmv) was comparable in price.
on August 6, 2013
I bought these banana plugs to go with my Yamaha receiver. I wanted a clean solid installation and with these plugs I finished it. I used size 16 Ga. and 14 Ga. wire and both fit perfect. What I did was leave like 3/4 of an inch of bare wire, fold it in half and then tighten it down to the plug. I had two 15 inch sub woofers connected with bare wire. After I installed the plugs, I can now feel the push of the subs all over my house without putting the volume on my sub amp very high. There is certainly a power gain compared to bare wire, at least in my setup.

Material certainly does not feel cheap, it is heavy. What is cheap is the labels. Those might come off if you are connecting and disconnecting the plugs very often.

NOTE: One thing that I loved about these plugs was that you can remove the middle section of the plug(three sections: connection tip, spacer, bottom end). So with the middle section removed, you can attach the bottom end to the connection tip(Same screw type). So now you get a short solid connection to your receiver. This allows you to push back your receiver closer to the wall.
on August 28, 2010
I finally had to remove the plastic color ring to get it to pinch on the wire, even using 12 gauge speaker wire. They are working fine though the engineering needs some work.
on February 28, 2012
There are good reasons for the wide opinions on this product.
I'll try to make this short:

Pros:
- solid construction, good design 'concept'.
- good tip design and bite.
- Works well with heavy gauge wire (>16AWG).
- very good price.
- good choice for the original Monster cable (12AWG?).

Cons:
- setscrew is too small / wire hole too large.
- will not work well on 16AWG or less (unless tinned or doubled up; neither a good choice).
- based on another reviewer, long term gold durability is in question.

Bottom line:
Not recommended for wire less than 14 AWG, but you can make it work on as small as 18AWG.
on June 21, 2013
They feel solid and they look good. Making a connection is as simple was inserting the wire and tightening the pinch screw and you're done. For the price, I'm definitely going to order more and replace the cheap plastic banana plugs I got from a certain chain electronic store that no longer caters to the electronic geeks.

It would have been nice if they had an o-ring inside to seal the barrel but it's not a major issue.