5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Emma Hardy. I am no longer sewaphobic.
Published on March 17, 2010 by M. Talalay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected
This book is a very beautiful, but its really not what i expected. I expected a book with many easy "teaching" projects for kids 3 and older. The book is more full of projects for girls age 7 and up to do with mum, but not really "teaching skills".

Published on May 29, 2010 by Rebecca Billington

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you, Emma Hardy. I am no longer sewaphobic., March 17, 2010
This review is from: Sewing for Children: 35 Step-by-step Projects to Help Kids Aged 3 and Up Learn to Sew (Hardcover)
When I first read the title Sewing FOR Children, I broke out in a cold, cold sweat. I mean, I can barely sew a straight line, have a fear of sewing machines, and procrastinate sewing buttons on shirts until they no longer fit. But, the cute dolls on the cover made me read the whole book cover to cover. It was a sewing epiphany for me. Under the guise of teaching my kindergartner to sew, I could conquer my fear of sewing.

This book is intended to teach kids ages 3 and older to sew, not for parents to try to make all of their kids' clothing. I wiped the sweat beads from my brow. It's truly genius. The projects are all simple and do not require heavy machinery (to me, that means a sewing machine). The book reviews basic stitching s-l-o-w-l-y so I can understand it.

And, the projects are cute, cool, and definitely a great way to reuse, use up and recreate old items or small pieces of fabric. Thank you, Emma Hardy. I am no longer sewaphobic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great summer projects, June 5, 2010
lizajj (Mississippi) - See all my reviews
OK I have never written a review before but I have to say, this is one of the best purchases I have made. I was looking for something to keep my two girls, aged 8.5 and almost 5, away from the TV this summer. We have already done two projects. My older one has very little sewing experience and my little one has none. I have a little. The projects are well explained and illustrated. Both girls are so proud of themselves and have commented several times that they can't believe they are doing this, and it is so much fun. And the results are very cute so far! My older one has made a list of the first 12 projects we are going to do, in order of increasing difficulty. We will certainly get our money's worth from this one and the time we are spending together...priceless! Thanks, Emma Hardy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I expected, May 29, 2010

There are not many projects suitable for the 3-7 range, and NOTHING very very simple for a young absolute beginner.

I do like this book, i do like the projects, but i wish that i had bought the winky cherry books

5.0 out of 5 stars Sewing fun for young beginners!, February 4, 2011
My four-year-old daughter loves to create. She loves to draw, trace, and cut things up. She likes to pick out colors, choose her own outfits, and make gifts for people she loves. So when I saw this book, I knew it would make a perfect gift (along with a small sewing basket and a pile of colorful felt) -- and it is!

"Sewing for Children" is full of all the adorable and fun beginner sewing projects I would design if I had the time and talent for it. The projects are well-designed, the instructions are clear, and the photography is very appealing (my daughter flips through the book just to look at the pictures even when she isn't sewing). While the projects are not rated for difficulty, my daughter seems to know which ones she can handle, and each project she has done so far (felt cupcakes, needle case, ladybug pincushion, sock monster, and stuffed mouse) has taught her a new sewing technique (using a pattern, straight stitching, gathering, whip stitching, sewing buttons, stuffing). Many of the projects take advantage of kids' big stitches and can be made with recycled materials (t-shirts, socks) and leftover notions and scraps from Mom's projects.

While there are many projects that even a four-year-old can do, there is still plenty of room to grow with this book, with instructions for embellishing clothes and making hair accessories, dolls and doll clothes, dress-up/costume pieces, and useful items like bags and purses. Each project leaves plenty of room for individual creativity and can provide inspiration for future sewing project ideas.

This book has provided me with a wonderful way to teach my daughter how to sew and -- best of all -- have some delightful one-on-one time together. I look forward to many more hours of sewing and talking together as she grows up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun book for kids!, February 2, 2013
This book is great! I bought it to encourage my less-crafty daughter to feel more confident about her sewing kills, and have ended up loaning it out to SO many friends ~ several of whom have come back & purchased one for themselves. Are the projects amazing? Are they going to thrill the more informed sewist? Nope ~ but guess what? Give this book, along with some fabric scraps, & needles & thread to your favorite young sewist, & just let them go. Don't get too involved, don't hover over them, don't do it for them ~ just let them read it & have fun trying. If they ask for help, great, but let them do it! It doesn't matter how awful the project turns out ~ this is the perfect way to learn! One of the things that I really LOVE about this book is that the examples & pictures in the book do not show ultra-perfect projects. They instead showcase pieces that look like they have truly been done by the kid themselves ~ & that is more encouraging to a kid than you can imagine.
These are also projects that a kid will want to do, & are do-able by a kid. Your favorite 10-yr old would just RELISH a week spent with all his/her little friends sitting out in the yard or snugging up near a fire making dolls, hair-things, a super-hero cape, a pillow, etc, etc. With a little more supervision & help, a 3 or 4 yr old could definitely do a few of these projects, but I would really reccomend that the child be able to at least read a small amount, & be trust-worthy with a needle, as they will gain the most from it in this more self-teaching way.
All in all, this really is a stellar book for children learning to sew!

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my daughter sewing right away, December 22, 2010
My 6 year old daughter likes sewing. She has done small, not very precise projects. So doing the projects in the book was her next step, creating something that required more precision. She wanted to make the dolls on the cover first. She did one and I did one (for her 2 year old sister). The project is all hand sewn, with embroidery floss. We got nice wool felt for the project (my daughter loved picking out the colors and fabric). The dolls turned out so cute and my daughter was so proud of herself. I ended up using a machine to make the clothes since she was tired by that time. We made both dolls and all the clothes in one weekend. This is a great book and nice project to do together. We haven't done any of the other projects yet, it looks like there are a few other projects we will do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book!!!, February 7, 2012
This is my first review I have ever written. As a busy Mom, I don't normally have time. But, I was so impressed with this book I felt that I needed to give it a 'shout out'. I have been teaching my 4 year old son how to sew for almost a year now and have been running out of projects to do with him. I got this book for his birthday and it was so rewarding sitting down with him and planning his very own projects out of his very own book. We are so excited about making the cowboy horse for his friend's birthday present. And he can't wait to make the doll for his little sister. The projects are very easy but also very interesting. I am a fairly experienced sewer and I even came up with some great ideas from this book. I also love that the book focuses on repurposing and gives great ways to expand each project. Lastly, I love that the book has both girl and boy projects in varying levels. I think that this will end up being a great book for my daughter as she gets older. I look forward to getting a lot of wear out of this purchase for many years!

2.0 out of 5 stars Deceiving reviews, August 11, 2013
This book offers a small part in the back of the book to teach stitching etc. I bought this for my Granddaughter who is six she loved all the cool things to make but first she needs to learn how to sew. So I bought the book See And Sew terrific for a child who is wanting to learn.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has several easy projects to teach sewing., November 19, 2011
L Willis (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
I have been sewing for many years and plan to teach sewing. This is a great book full of easy projects. It has templates in the back pages of the book. There are some templates that need to be enlarged 200%. These are marked to avoid confusion.
I will enjoy using this as a teaching book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy, March 13, 2011
Was really happy with the fast postage to Australia. The book is awesome, i'm an experienced in many crafts and wasn't sure how it would suit my 3yr old, I don't think it's suited to a 3yr old, I don't think that is old enough to cut patterns or even do a basic running stitch but for me to make them for her is great!!! So far i've made the finger puppets and the cupcakes for her teaset!!! Would definately recommend this book!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›