5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Start
This is a great way to learn sewing from the bottom up. It is well written with much in the way of helpful advice and tips for the beginning sewer. I have managed to make several items and I just started sewing with a machine given to me, oh yes, I am 62 years old and a man.
Published on April 10, 2007 by Paul W. Harwood Sr.

3.0 out of 5 stars it's okay
Published on April 8, 2005 by Rj Belt

3.0 out of 5 stars it's okay, April 8, 2005
Rj Belt "Poison fan" (Houston, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is just okay really. I knew absolutely nothing about sewing when I got this book. I wanted to start sewing clothing to sell, so I thought this would be a good place to start. It's not something you can sit down and just read at all. There's ALOT of information just sort of thrown together. It seems less like a how-to book and more like someone who knows alot about the subject just babbling at you. Honestly, I'd suggest 101 Essential Tips Basic Sewing. It gives you good basic advice in a quick simple manner. It's alot easier to follow. You dont have to skip from this section to this section to see what they're talking about, AND it's ALOT cheaper.

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not for "dummies", November 25, 2007
I. Printz (Atlanta, GA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I usually LOVE the dummies series and find it very useful for new subjects I want to just dive into. This book is useful, but not as a first reference for someone who has never done more than the occasional needle-and-thread wobbly patching most of us did in College.

The good:
1. Very thorough subject coverage - everything from clothing to arts & crafts, to home decor (in fact, I think if they broke this up into two books - one for clothing only, and one for the rest, they would have done themselves a big favor).
2. The step descriptions are broken down into mini-steps very well (I think).

The bad:
1. hardly any illustrations at all. Where there are illustrations, they are very basic, mostly restricted to the type of stitch described rather than an illustration of the step-by-step process.
2. the level of terminology-knowledge assumed by the book is insanely high for beginners.
3. There is insufficient internal cross referencing - the writers seem to assume you will read the book from cover to cover in the right order, and that you will remember everything you learned from one chapter to the next.
4. The section on "Quick fixes and alterations" which is boasted about in the book description is far from comprehensive, and the steps described are skimpy - largely without internal references to where within the book these steps are described.

This will be a great 2nd book, I think. But until I reach that level I'll have to find something else.

1.0 out of 5 stars should have gotten a different book, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
The problem is that the book is ALMOST helpful. It seems to be giving simple instructions. But when I try to learn anything (and I am a mechanically-inclined non-dummy) I find there is just not quite enough to get from one step to the next. I frequently found myself spending an entire hour poring over 2 pages, trying to visualize what it is saying, and failing. It would have been so easy to add an additional step, or make clear whether the right side or the wrong side is showing in the drawing, or a simple photograph of a finished product, and it just doesn't.

The best I can say for it is that it gave me enough information on any particular topic to look it up on the internet and get useful help.

2.0 out of 5 stars This book didn't work for me., July 27, 2007
Amy (CLAYTON, NC, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I've been teaching myself to sew the last few months and in that time I've checked out all the books my library has to offer on the subject. Since I really like all the other "for Dummies" books that I have read I decided to buy this one sight-unseen to keep around the house as my reference. It's not a bad book but there are better books out there for those of us who are new to sewing or need a refresher in basics. If the book were organized differently I think I might like it more. Compared to other books of this type the information is not as well organized or easy to find. The illustrations are nice but again I've seen others that work better for me. I wouldn't say not to buy this book, but check it out first and make sure it's teaching (or refreshing what you already know) in a way that is useful to you. This book was not useful to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Way to Start, April 10, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm No Dummy Now, January 19, 2007
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
This book is perfect for anyone who's utterly clueless about sewing. It's clear, direct, and simple to follow. It worked for me because I was able to pace myself and start small, for instance, a shirt for my dogs. Now, I feel confident enough to tackle some homedecorating projects.

5.0 out of 5 stars very easy to learn, November 14, 2006
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
this book really breaks it down in the simplest form possible. it's hard to learn how to sew by just reading a book without any hands on experience, but this helps you visualize, and it is written in plain english. if you haven't sewn in your life, or never picked up a needle and thread,this book is definitely for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Helpful Book, January 12, 2008
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I'm new to sewing and I purchased several books to help me get started, including this one. It's easy to read and it gave me a good idea of how to do some things, but I would not have been able to sew just by reading this book. It's a perfect companion to other learning aids and I have returned to it several times. It's worth the cost as long as you have other teaching aids at your disposal.

4.0 out of 5 stars From dumber than dumb!, July 4, 2007
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I have read small parts of this book since I picked it up. Some parts are very easy to follow, and very helpful to this beginner. It covers many different topics, which helps me think about different projects I could tackle. But some parts still need more explanation for me to understand -- drawings or breaking down the steps even more would be helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Guide To Getting Started, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Sewing For Dummies (Paperback)
I cannot say enough great things about this book. I started sewing a month ago and had literally never touched a sewing machine. I didn't have anyone around that could show me how so I got this book to get started. I read this book front to back and was off making a quilt, burp cloths, curtains- within a few weeks with my new machine! It gives you a very basic understanding of how to get started and what you need. It simplifies sewing in a way that helps you build your confidence and gets you sewing quick and easy projects immediately. If you are looking to get started or need a refresher- I highly recommend this book.

Sewing For Dummies
Sewing For Dummies by Jan Saunders Maresh (Paperback - August 11, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01