5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the good old days!
Published on April 13, 2011 by CuteEverything

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gift for the new hand-sewer
Published on September 2, 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the good old days!, April 13, 2011
This review is from: Sewn by Hand: Two Dozen Projects Stitched with Needle & Thread (Paperback)
I love how this book takes you back to a simpler time, when creating something unique was as easy as picking up fabric, needle and thread. There are so many benefits of the art of hand sewing. One is that your projects are portable to take with you wherever you may have a little down time and want to accomplish something productive and creative. The author also mentions an added advantage to hand sewing. The blessed silence! No machines means no noise at all. Plus, then you can sew while watching TV!

Sewn by Hand reminded me of the excitement of my children when presented with a thick needle and a scrap of their favorite fabric and how much I enjoyed watching them just take off from there. They always have endless ideas of what they can make from doll clothes to potholders to miniature patchwork quilts. They aren't quite ready for the sewing machine yet, but sewing by hand still allows them the joy of "making it themselves".

Sewn by Hand gives information and history about different types of needles and thread for hand sewing. They also demonstrate with photos the simple, yet very important skills of tying on and off. There is a "Gallery of Stitches" for hand sewing with explanations for each one.

There are around twenty projects (many recycling old clothes and other remnants) in Sewn by Hand with enlargeable templates included in the back. I just love the six sided, big, soft spheres which make an adorable baby toy. I couldn't help but imagine different fabric combinations for the six sides, all of which would be so delightful to create! The "Button-Down Apron" is a great way to re-purpose those old button down shirts into something useful. The Owie Puffs seen on cover are perfect for warming cold feet at night or for chilling in the freezer for use as a flexible "rice" pack.

Now you can go through your old clothing and fabric scraps and hand sew some wonderful and useful items! And Sewn by Hand: Two Dozen Projects Stitched with Needle & Thread demonstrates wonderful ways to slow down and use your relaxing times to produce something beautiful and useful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eco Friendly Slow Cloth Enjoyment, April 19, 2011
MusingCrow "mzjohansen" (Friday Harbor, WA, United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
As a real believer in the 'slow cloth' philosophy I was really pleased to see this book. I get tired by all of the advertisements that everything, seemingly, must " fast, fun and fabulous" - or some similar iteration of that sentiment. Going slowly is more meditative and, especially with sewn articles, you can really sew a it of yourself into what you make when you do it by hand.

This little gem of book is venerates both the art of slow cloth - sewing by hand - as well as the eco-friendly philosophy of recycling with aplomb. The projects are very well illustrated, fairly simple and eminently useful. Hand sewing makes the look.

The table of contents says it all. A well illustrated dictionary of hand stitches is thorough and well done. I really like some of the included projects. A great apron (not some skimpy little thing) made from recycled button down shirts. Salvaged shirts make another appearance as very well thought out "cafe napkins" that make great use of the buttons on the shirt. Another favorite project I found is for a tote bag - that includes simple directions for making your great looking covered buttons.

I think that this book should hold wide appeal to sewers of all persuasions - hand and machine as well as to eco conscious recyclers. The projects are useful, fresh and delightful. I also think this book is a great value. Both in monetary cost but also for the seriously good feeling that slow, hand sewn, cloth combined with serious re-purposing can bring to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can sew by hand!, May 27, 2011
Many years ago before I had children, I spent hours every day happily crafting my way through life. I had a sewing machine and did a pretty god job of creating the occasional dress, Halloween costume or gift for Christmas. Fast forward through teenagers and my crafting time is sadly limited. I no longer have a sewing machine and I really miss it. I had thought that I'd have to give up my sewing time because hand sewing always seemed intimidating to me.

Sewn by Hand has shown me that this isn't the case. This craft book includes twenty four different craft projects that can easily be sewn by hand. Of course, if you have a sewing machine, you could always sew them that way as well but they are honestly easy enough to create without the use of a sewing machine. Projects range from soft toys for babies and fashionable slippers to sewing kits and felt baskets.

Each craft features not only beautiful color photographs of the finished project but a detailed section with directions including diagrams and photographs. Each project includes information on necessary materials, tools and fabrics along with the finished size of the project. There's also a handy notation with each craft to let you know how portable this project is. I really appreciate this because like most busy moms, I sneak in craft time wherever and whenever I can which may include waiting at a doctor's appointment or sitting at a baseball game.

There is also a section at the beginning of the book that lists the different stitches with directions on how to create each one. It's also got sections that explain what to look for in needles, fabric, thread and what the basic necessary tools are to do hand sewing. I really love the detail shown in the photographs and instructions. It's been years since I've sewn and I had no problem at all following these easy directions. This book is definitely a fantastic resource for anyone who is interested in sewing but doesn't have the time or money for their own sewing machine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gift for the new hand-sewer, September 2, 2011
This would be a good gift for the new hand-sewer. Most projects are well within the skill level of the new sewer and should give a nice finished project without frustrating the inexperienced. Some projects have general appeal. General instructions and templates and directions for the individual projects look clear and complete. I also liked the "portability factor" rating for each project--very useful for commuters or those whose errands involve a lot of sitting and waiting.

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to make almost everything in this book!, April 29, 2011
Amy Cox (Las Vegas, NV, USA) - See all my reviews
I just sat down with this book after I received intending to bookmark any projects I wished to make. I ended up bookmarking 17 of the 24 projects!

All of the designs are sweet, simple, and often very practical. They are all well designed from a style point of view, as well. The pilot hat, while not my personal taste, is absolutely adorable. I plan to change the scale of the pattern and make one for each of my kids. In fact, if I had any complaint, it's just that the wearable items are only sized for women. The pilot hat and the slippers are fully suitable for men, women, or children.

I love that many of them are great for scraps or reuse old materials. I haven't made anything from this book yet but I'll probably start the thread holding pincushion this weekend. :D If it goes well, and I think it will, I'll edit my review for 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars good technique, a few good projects, March 21, 2012
I love making things by hand. I agree with the author that we can sometimes slow our crafting down and quiet it with a nice hand stitched project. The problem is, there are only a few projects that I would consider making. There are times when I want to make something rustic looking that doesn't take a lot of time but other times I want something that is finished well so that I can fool everyone into thinking that I am an expert stitcher (I love my quick unpick!). I would have liked to see a couple of larger projects that are a little more time consuming. I know that the purpose of the book is to show that we can hand sew items quickly and that it needn't take a long time but sometimes I like to work on something that takes time, especially if it is a gift for an extra special person. This book is definitely a good one to have in the library and I got some good ideas from it. I will make two of the projects and possibly two more, but the remaining 20 are not up my alley. The author does, however, give well thought out instructions on the techniques used to sew by hand. All in all, I like this book and I'm glad that it is in the house.

5.0 out of 5 stars hand sewing made easy and attractive, July 3, 2011
I started sewing by hand 2 years ago. I stopped doing that when I bought my sewing machine - it was a lot easier putting together a bag handle for sure! But this book (which I won in a giveaway) has brought me back to my love of hand sewing. I love the contemplative time spent doing something I enjoy and the unique quality it gives to whatever I am sewing; it feels so much more personal and made with love.

I like how the book is packaged and put together. The photos are lovely, the author's color and material choices make the book and her creations look so inviting, cosy and comfortable. The introduction to materials, threads, stitches and different ways of knotting is useful though perhaps basic for a more experienced sewer. The project instructions are very clear and illustrated with photographs. I like the tips the author gives on colors, techniques, fabrics and the hunt for materials. The "portability factor" indicated for projects is pretty useful if you like to bring your sewing along with you on trips or if you want to use your hands during errands or activities outside your home. I usually read on the bus, now I can sew too.

There are about 20 projects in the book, most of which are simple enough even for a new sewer. They include common and practical ones like an apron, owie puffs, a tote, potholders and more interesting ones like a hassock, slippers and even a bikini. The first one I took on was the felt thread caddy. What an easy project it was! And super useful - which many of the projects in the book are. I will probably tackle close to 10 of them and use some of the ideas and techniques from the other projects in my own crafting. For instance, I don't need curtains but I like the idea of the ribbon sewn as decoration in the Sheer Curtains project, and plan to adapt it for use on a skirt.

All in all, a great book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mother's Day Gift!, May 10, 2011
This was a gift from one of my daughters for Mother's Day! She knows how much I love to hand sew. This book is filled with lovely tips and techniques for hand-stitching, accompanied by beautiful photography. The different projects inspire me to get hustling on some of my own. The pages are full of creativity without seeming complicated and intimidating. I have two Necchi machines that are durable and efficient, but there is something peaceful and relaxing about hand stitching. It really is an underused artform. This book is a must have for all who love to sew by hand. Delightful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book of handsewing projects!, July 7, 2011
Sewn By Hand is Susan's latest title, a collection of two dozen hand-sewn projects, many using repurposed materials. There are beautiful photographs and drawings throughout the book, and the instructions are clear, concise and informative. As a novice hand-stitcher (that is eager to learn more!) I love the instructional section on tying knots and the detailed stitch guide that covers all the stitches for the projects in the book. The projects in the book are truly eclectic, for the home, for gifts, to wear! There isn't one project in the book I wouldn't love to make (how often can you truly say that?) The projects use materials like felt and repurposed men's shirts, and there are quite a few scrap-busting projects too. Sewn By Hand is full of projects that are instructional, useful and beautiful. It is perfect for beginners and experienced hand-stitchers alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's fun!, February 16, 2013
Holly Whiteside Thompson (Oberlin, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This book surpassed my expectations. I bought it on a whim because my sewing machine is broken and i was browsing to get Super Saver and stumbled across it. I think i'm now going to be into handsewing projects just for the fun of it, and the portablility. The projects would make great gifts. The picture on the cover is for "owie puffs for boo-boos." The first projects i'll make are the sewing kit and thread caddy, both because they are attractive but also so that I can carry my sewing projects easily to do when i'm having coffee with a friend, waiting on kids, travelling, etc. There are slippers, accent pillows, napkins and rings, pot holders, bags and baskets, an apron, curtains, a bib, a wool hat, more. The book is very attractive, the projects are not intimidating, the support material is thorough, and you're likely to be inspired to go beyond the book after doing some of the projects. These are not homey projects you'll hide in a corner! These are pretty things, current styles, that you'll love having around your home and friends will love receiving!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sewn by Hand: Two Dozen Projects Stitched with Needle & Thread
Sewn by Hand: Two Dozen Projects Stitched with Needle & Thread by Susan Wasinger (Paperback - April 5, 2011)
$19.95 $12.94