Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sex Brood
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$0.99

on February 17, 2013
I enjoy hardboiled detective stories (mostly the classics), but this book reads like the author doesn't. The sentences are choppy, like the author hadn't read many mysteries but HAD seen some parodies of what detective fiction is "supposed" to sound like. The style is nonexistent. It's just a bunch of sentences and sentence fragments that blur together, because every sentence in a paragraph ends up being about the same length. For example:

"Gabriel waits in her black ‘69 Caprice, parked across the street from the house where Robbie Driessen’s mother lives. Smoking a cigarette without inhaling, because she’s bored and likes the feel of it in her hand. The sky above the tree tops and along the dark wood of the roofs is a thin line of orange, then rose pink, then a shade between lavender and cornflower blue. The air still feels slightly warm, but after nightfall, she’ll need the denim jacket. Her window is rolled down a crack, and occasionally, she blows the smoke outside. She glances at the house, watching until the front door opens and the thick figure of a man emerges. After a moment, she rolls her window down farther with the manual lever and tosses the unfinished cigarette into the street. She starts the engine as the man reaches the sidewalk, the 450-block roaring like a tiger loose in suburbia. "

After that first paragraph, I knew reading much more of Sex Brood was going to be tough for me.

I think Crosswell had good intentions when writing this book, and I hope she isn't discouraged by the response it's received on the internet. She's very young, and perhaps she was a little too eager to release her first book into the world. But I do hope she learns from the experience. When she writes her next book, I hope she researches her subjects more thoroughly, and in the meantime, I hope she reads more widely. If she plans to write more detective fiction, I think she'd do well to try to absorb the style and sense of humor of a story like Hammett's The Thin Man. What she came up with for Sex Brood is stiff and joyless.
on February 18, 2013
Detectives don't work like that. Psychologists don't work like that. Cocaine doesn't work like that.

Detectives are not forensics specialists, and they shouldn't be the ones going over evidence in the field with rubber gloves, looking for blood and prints. That's basic procedure.

Psychologists and psychiatrists are not the same thing. Psychiatrists are the ones capable of prescribing drugs, not psychologists.

But my biggest problem, personally: This author knows nothing about cocaine, but decided to write one of her protagonists as an addict. That includes calling cocaine angel dust (outdated slang for PCP) and having the protagonist inject cocaine mixed with a third of a glass of tap water, which she proceeds to inject in one go from a single syringe. Syringes, short of horse syringes, can't hold that kind of water, and it's a ridiculous amount to consider injecting. Just googling "injecting cocaine" can provide much more accurate information, but the author didn't research.

The entire book is full of small, constant mistakes that Google could have corrected her on, which makes the mistakes beyond irritating. It's ridiculous, and nothing else in the book is good enough to make up for it.
on February 20, 2013
No. No to present tense throughout this book and no to the eye searingly bad colour choices for your book cover.

This is the Ark of the Covenant of books. Do not read unless you'd like your face melted off.
on April 2, 2013
Reminds me of 50 Shades of Grey. It's a cheap Mystery/Crime genre knockoff. The author does not understand how crime novels work nor does she understand anything about police work. I feel like her research on this book was limited to tv shows. Here's a suggestion for the author NOT EVERYTHING YOU WATCH ON TV IS REAL. While the premise of the book is interesting, it would make for a great examination for the sex industry and human sexuality, the factual errors and awful syntax are completely distracting. Would not recommend.
on February 15, 2013
ive trield all the kncokoffs and wannabees and theres no two way's about it: the only place your gonna find get the rude tude and dangeriously cheese crucnh you love to crave is with the geneuine arctile. my kids go friggin bonkers for Cheetos cheese corn snack bites, my youngerst gets so excited she hurls all over the sofabed , when she's about to dig into a big bwol of Cheeto's Dangerous cheese bits. i save the dust in my ziplocks for later
on June 17, 2013
The distaste for sex comes across a little too strongly (one gets the feeling the main character isn't just asexual, but repelled by the existence of sex), and the racial stereotypes were troubling. But the present tense narrative worked for the noir-ish tone the author was (presumably) trying to create, and I liked Gabriel and John.
I think the unrealistic cocaine scenes are being dismissed a little unfairly; I don't think they're meant to be realistic so much as a sort of homage to Sherlock. But, yeah, it's not the book to use as a how-to guide on that front.
I look forward to seeing the author's later attempts, assuming she hasn't been put off writing by the responses to this one.
on March 25, 2014
This is the best suspense novel I've read in many years, and it has something important to say about a portion of the queer nation that has long been ignored - asexuals. It's informative as well as entertaining, and it manages to be deeply moving as well as suspenseful. After you've devoured this quick read, check out her Tumbler blog, where she expounds on the issues her novel raises in greater detail. A must-read!
on March 16, 2013
A great plot, well writen, giving the reader an exceptional view of a world well hidden by the tabus of our culture. Not only will you be entertained, but you will learn important information you did not know. Good reading. It is interesting to note that people either loved (5 stars) or hated (1 star) this book. That speaks for itself, especially among the haters.
44 comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 15, 2013
This is awesome! It's so easy to empathise with the characters, they're believable and realistic. Gabriel is every bit as badass as I hoped, while still having flaws and problems of her own, the section where she's undercover and uncomfortable in her disguise, Is nearly painful to read as I think its scarily accurate for many aces (myself included). John just breaks my heart a little bit, when he angsts about being alone and doesn't feel like he can have a relationship without sex.
I really enjoyed the plot too, I spent most of it trying to predict the ending, and figure out what happened to Jill K. And while I did, it in no way ruined my enjoyment of the story, I just read the ending while feeling extremely pleased with myself.
I really like the fact that there was a tiny bit of forensic scienc in there (I'm studying it at uni) and that it was accurate and not exaggerated CSI rubbish which has ruined my enjoyment of books before (not this one).
Paper copies really really need to become available again because I need one, thank you so much for writing this book, I will look forward to whatever you decide to publish next!