4.0 out of 5 stars "Laugh out loud" - funny!, March 16, 2001
Hilde Bygdevoll (Stavanger, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
This book made me laugh. Laugh out loud! Over and over again...
Spalding Gray's "Sex, and Death to the Age 14" is autobiographical. Spalding Gray is funny, very funny, and a little... extreme. Sometimes you read and wonder if the author's fantasy is "running wild" or if he is flat out lying just to add the little extra to the story. But nevertheless, this is spot-on super-funny book, a book you can expect will crack you up, over and over again.
I am not giving away the story, but I can tell you that I found myself almost speed-reading though the pages, eagerly waiting for something that would crack me up (again). I read this book in big gulps at the time, and finished it in a few sittings. There are few books that I have read, that have truly made me laugh out loud. This is one of them.

A super-funny book!
(If you like this one - I suggest you read David Sedaris' "Me talk pretty one day")

5.0 out of 5 stars Hwo could such a goof pay such close attention?, November 15, 2000
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
These essays are nothing compared to hearing the man actually relate them, but are nonetheless invaluable illustrations of the human condition. Spalding Gray may never learn his lesson, at least not until he's had lots of time to obsess over his mistakes. This has been his MO since his first theater piece, and will prbably follow him to the grave. Never is his wit and hindsight better aimed than in this collection of mostly coming-of-age type pieces. Nobody but Gray could usurp the poweral archetype of nostalgic, recollected youth with such ease, without appearing to try at all. Of his works, this is probably my favorite, but I still must recommend an audio recording of it over even this fine smorgasboard of sex, death, oedipal complexes, obsessive behavior and rash judgments. Add the man's voice to it and it all almost makes sense.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It., September 7, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
I read this book in one sitting, laughing so hard at some parts that I cried. This is the perfect book to read when you're home sick or stuck in an airport lobby. Spalding Gray is whacked out, but just sane enough that he could very amusing as your next door neighbor or distant cousin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious read., July 11, 2013
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend and I was not at all disappointed. Gray has such a blunt, interesting way of turning phrases as he chronicles, essentially, his life through a hilarious series of mishaps in monologue style. Mildly reminiscent of David Sedaris. Definitely recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that got me into Spalding Gray, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
I'm a fan of Spalding Gray's spoken monologues, but strangely enough I'm even more enamored of the prose adaptations/transcriptions of those same monologues. His humility and wide-eyed approach to life make every story interesting, even the slightest ones. The key is the sense that I too could be living this life with just a little more sense of adventure--Gray never does anything with his days even remotely beyond the realm of possibility; he simply sees it all with more amusement and wonder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spalding is my hero!1, February 26, 2012
This review is from: Sex and Death to the Age 14 (Paperback)
I bought this book many years ago and recently purchased a new one since we suffered a flood and lost many books. I wanted this one sitting on my new book shelf and have reread it. Spalding Gray was a unique writer and performer who saw life through the perceptive lens of an avid observer. He always seemed to grasp at the unusual and be open to "the moment" and just go with the experience despite all of his paranoia and fears and inherent OCD. Spalding makes you laugh and feel happy about your life. He was the most unique and keen observer of things that are ordinary and somehow make them extraordinary. It's all a matter of perception. I will always miss him.

Sex and Death to the Age 14
Sex and Death to the Age 14 by Spalding Gray (Paperback - June 12, 1986)
$19.00 $15.95