Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 2, 2016
I changed my rating from 4 to 5 stars for a few reasons. The original thought is that I'd give it 4 stars based on how much I enjoyed it, which is to say a lot. Then I got to thinking about other things, like how many people would I like to tell about this book and talk about it over beer, wine, or any other spirit. The answer to that question is simple, most of the people whose company I enjoy.

Klosterman's analyses are way out there and it reads like the conversation you'd have with a friend who is cerebral yet loves hash brownies, quaaludes, and/or ayahuasca (I'm sure I could vary the drugs that come to mind, but it gives you an idea of the headspace of Chuck). He goes in depth in regards to pop culture phenomenons like Real World and how real or fake but real it is, how uncool Billy Joel is (and how that makes him cool), how touring with a Guns N Roses cover band is enlightening, sports and the bulls*** that ensues and an open interpretation of born again Christians and how they live life and embrace the coming rapture.

It's a good book to read one chapter at a time in one go because there is SO much information that part of the fun is just fact checking the essay. Often funny, occasionally VERY revealing in regards to ourselves and what we'll laugh at, and very well written, Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs is a great read and an even better conversation topic because if your ice breaker is to analyze how cereal marketing is damaging children into being exclusionary, just imagine what will happen once that third beer comes a rolling.
on May 15, 2016
My criticism of Volumes is not one of playing ability but taste. I enjoyed the parts that sounded "djent" but the rest wasn't to my liking. There are a couple of good tracks on here but if you were looking for another Meshuggah or Animals As Leaders this is not going to do it for you. A band with potential though.
on May 12, 2016
Chuckie K (can I call you that?) is the most clever, insightful, and poignant voice of the last 20 years

Read every. Single. Word he's published. Honestly. It won't be pricey. Even if you're cheap and just do the books. But do more. Articles, etc...

Honestly exceptional.
on February 21, 2016
Very well written, you can read even if you don't know the cultural topics he is commenting on.
on February 21, 2016
Just what I expected
on February 9, 2016
So I just ordered this as a gift, so now opinion on the book itself. However if you are ordering this, the book came in excellent condition, so that's good enough for me!
on February 3, 2016
As described and arrived quickly!!
on January 14, 2016
BEHAHAHAHA
on December 30, 2015
At his best, Klosterman offers witty, funny, creative commentary on pop-culture. He's like the guy at a party who never stops talking about frivolous crap, yet, through the frivolity, he occasionally manages to produce some surprisingly profound insights into society and the human condition. He's like People Magazine for college students.

The essays are quick, entertaining, sometimes insightful, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read Klosterman again.

Some favorite quotes:

On coolness:
"The desire to be cool is--ultimately--the desire to be rescued. It's the desire to be pulled from the unwashed masses of society. It's the desire to be advanced beyond the faceless humanoid robots who will die unheralded deaths and never truly matter, mostly because they all lived the same pedestrian life. Without the spoils of exclusionary coolness, we're just cogs in the struggle."

On the equality of the sexes:
"For the past twenty-five years, culture has been obsessed with making males and females more alike, and that's fine. Maybe it's even enlightened. But what I've noticed--at least among young people--is that this convergence has mostly just prompted females to adopt the worst qualities of men. It's like girls are trying to attain equality by becoming equally shallow and selfish."

On kids:
"The nicest thing you can say about children is that they haven't done anything terrible yet."
on November 28, 2015