5.0 out of 5 stars Suzanne Somers Saved My Life

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Forever
Published on January 4, 2011 by MeWorry?Gal

5.0 out of 5 stars Suzanne Somers Saved My Life, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
It's true, Suzanne Somers saved my life. Let me begin at the beginning....First, I am 68 years old, no spring chicken but no dray horse ready to be put out to pasture or to sleep, either. On March 22, 2010, I weighed 267 pounds. My life was nearly unbearable: I was taking infusions once a month for rheumatoid and osteo-arthritis, I was using inhalers and nebulizers daily for COPD, my sleep was sporadic at best, and I was stuck like a hamster on a wheel between eating and thinking about eating, eating and thinking about my next food "reward." I believe if my life hadn't changed that day (why that day out of all the days of my life? I have no idea) if my life hadn't changed that day, I was destined to die a slow, miserable death, just as I had been living a slow, miserable life.

March 22 was the day I gave up, the day the worst part of me, the self-destructive part of me, died. It was on that day I began a life-altering change in thinking, nutrition and exercise that has given me life once again, that has brought me to better health than I enjoyed 20 years ago, and has restored my will, my confidence and my gratitude for the wonderful life we have available to us if we choose to live it.

On that day, after talking with Suzanne Somers, I committed to a complete overhaul of the way I lived. I began to take supplements to replace the life-giving and enhancing elements which had been absent from my diet, I stopped eating whatever and whenever I pleased and started eating 5 small meals daily, and I began to walk every day, at least one mile to begin with, as long as it took to complete. I got rid of the starches and carbohydrates that made me fat and sluggish. I shelved potatoes, rice, pasta and bread, all of which I dearly "love." I no longer eat sweets, including the ice cream that I consumed by the half gallon, if I bought it I ate it, and the candy and cookies I craved. And I haven't been deprived. I eat meat, vegetables, salads, berries, and more foods than I can name, and I don't spend afternoons and evenings partially asleep as my body struggles to digest the burden placed upon it as by those former meals eaten in a former time.

From a mile per day with three to four stops for pain and shortness of breath, I have increased my exercise to more than three miles per day, recently completing a 10 kilometer walk, 6.2 miles, at an average speed of four miles per hour, without stopping once. I am no longer receiving infusions, nor do I require a nebulizer or inhalers. My doctors are thrilled; they ask me what my secret is. I tell them: Suzanne Somers.

In short, I have reborn as the result of my efforts in implementing the suggestions so graciously and generously offered to me by Suzanne, the same general plan presented in Sexy Forever. What is that change worth to me? Beyond measurement in dollars and cents. I hit the lottery. And, if you're willing to make a commitment to your life and better health, you can, too.

Oh, by the way, on my birthday in November, I weighed 186 pounds. Down 81 pounds in 8 months. And I maintain that weight today. My commitment is firm.

If you're trying to decide whether to buy this book, buy it. It just might save your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Lifestyle for People Over 40, With Healthy Weight Loss Too, January 12, 2011
*****
Suzanne Somers has written another book filled with cutting edge ideas about healthy lifestyle, this time about losing weight. The theme of the book is that the best way to lose weight is to get healthy. Her plan--which is for people over 40--but which is actually healthy for anyone covers:
(1) Reducing stress (including dealing with unhealthy beliefs, the need for intimacy, and unmet psychological needs),
(2) Sleeping enough (7-8 hours),
(3) Eliminating food cravings via good nutrition,
(4) Addressing any allergies (e.g., gluten, dairy),
(5) Caring for the digestive tract,
(6) Avoiding toxins,
(7) Exercising,
(8) Managing hormones naturally, and
(9) Avoiding insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome via management of the glycemic load.
She shows you what this all means and HOW to do it as well.

In the book, the author includes a diet based on Tuscan and country French cooking (which is most like a whole foods diet), an exercise program, and recommendations for supplements and weight loss products. The author does describe many of the products she sells, but I found this helpful and not overwhelming. She also doesn't limit her recommendations to items she sells--the book includes many varied resources. The diet does emphasize some light food combining; it also includes whole food carbohydrates in all phases (combined properly and at specific times earlier in the day).

The diet consists of a thirty day detox, followed by a weight loss phase and then a maintenance phase. The book includes a recipe section and many sample menus. The recipes look delicious, and easy enough for me to do as a non-cook; I like that they include interesting notes along with them from the author that are fun to read.

Appendices include: a Food Reference Guide, an appendix with skin care ingredients to avoid, an appendix that is a brief guide to bio-identical hormone replacement, and an appendix of other resources.

I bought the Kindle book and read it first. I liked it so much that I bought the hardback book too as a reference and to be able to use the recipes easier. I really found the information valuable enough to justify the extra cost.

Highly recommended.
*****

3.0 out of 5 stars Healthy Forever, January 4, 2011
MeWorry?Gal (Kirkland, Washington) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
If you have read Suzanne's other books, I'm not sure what new information you'll get. I enjoy Suzanne's books and have read them. The information is spot-on and she interviews experts in their fields. This books seems to be a rehash of many of the books although Brenda Watson (GI information) is new to the list. If you have never read one of Suzanne's books, then this one will definitely help; if you have, probably not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Suzanne's books have saved me. Do yourself a favor and READ THEM!, January 8, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
I was first turned on to Suzanne's books in June of '08 after a year of dealing with infertility and doctors telling me there was no hope for me to get pregnant naturally. I was only 35 at the time. When I picked up the first book I read of hers, I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. It sang to me. To make a long story short, because of the information in her books and the directory of doctors she provides, I was able to find a doctor to find the root of my infertility problem and fix it using vitamins and bio-identical hormones. I now owe my future children to her!!!

Her latest book falls right in line with her diligence and perfectionism to provide her readers with an education and information meant to enhance and fill our lives with health and todays fountain of youth. Her commitment to spreading the word about bio-identical hormones and how vitally important hormone balancing is to quality of life is commendable and has left me indebted.

Today is my 6th day on the 1 month detox diet she provides in the book. I have committed to cooking all of her recipes and following her meal plan. The recipes are amazing. My favorite so far, Spicy Fried Egg with Basil and Crispy Onions for breakfast!!! Sooo delicious! In 6 days, I have lost 3 lbs!!
Thank you, Suzanne! Please keep them coming!! This country needs you!!

3.0 out of 5 stars "When I knew better, I did better.", January 9, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
I have a love/hate relationship with this book. I love how Suzanne really strives to talk about the relationship of toxins/chemicals in our lives and how to do improve the quality of our health by avoiding such toxins/chemicals. I hate how she touts her products and what she sells throughout..."Go to SuzanneSomers.com" to purchase the supplements recommended or sugar substitute recommended, or try the patches she is a spokesperson for from this company, or purchase your blood work from so-and-so...who wants to buy a book infomercial?! Another big issue with the book that was the diet she recommended is quite different from all her Somersize books - Detox phase on this diet is similar to Phase I of Somersizing but she has omitted lunches/dinners of fat-free carbohydrate meals - It is simply fat/protein choices for lunch and dinner. Phase 1 (after 30 days of detox) is totally different in that there are added healthy carbohydrates to three meals a day (like brown rice or a baked potato)which sounded awfully familiar to me and then I remember that is the Schwarzbein Program, the diet by Diana Schwarzbein who also happens to be Suzanne Somer's endocrinologist and good friend from one of her previous Somersize books. However, instead of faulting this point, I believe that when Ms. Somers knew better, she did better, and this is a sound way to eat for anyone. Also, although she seems a little fanatical at times on her stances and does not really take into account how genetics play a part in our degeneration, I believe there has to be swings in the pendulum of our beliefs historically to get people to take notice and change. However, toxins aren't the only factors...my grandfather smoked so much he had tobacco toxicity that almost killed him in his 40s, and he has had a scotch and soda (or two or three) every day for his entire adult life, never subscribed to organic or health food, and never had an exercise program - and he is vigorous and healthy and will be 95 in April...now that is good genetics. However, the adorable kids on the St. Jude commercials with inoperable brain tumors...that is bad genetics. Not everything can be blamed on toxins, but now that I know better, I will do better - eat better, exercise more and avoid as many toxins as possible - which is really the point of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Plan Whose Time has Come, March 29, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
I've purchased a number of Suzanne Somers' books, the latest being Sexy Forever. I liked the idea that shedding belly fat through diet, exercise and hormone balancing might be a more workable plan than just exercise and calorie cutting, especially since new research suggests the true culprits behind that ever increasing girth might be sugar and refined carbs combined with advancing years and hormonal imbalance. And certainly in my own quest for a slimmer midsection, this seems to be true.

Ms. Somers, a well-known health diva, offers a program that begins with Phase 1 - a 30-day toxin removal: a tasty eating plan to eliminate accumulated waste, followed by balancing hormones and an eating plan to keep us fit (Phases 2 and 3 - Weight Loss Phase and Lifestyle Phase). She's included many recipes in the three phases as well as serious discussions on the toxic connection, maintaining a clean environment (safe alternatives to regular household cleansers, makeup and beauty aids). In Step 2 she discusses the three types of estrogen in terms of being cancer protective, pre-carcinogenic and pro-carcinogenic plus other hormones such as DHEA, insulin, testosterone, HGH, cortisol and thyroid with guidelines of what they are, what you need and how to check the levels. She states that imbalanced hormones can cause mild to severe bloating and offers real solutions to that and sleep disorders among other things. Food allergies also play a part in bloat and weight gain and there's a self test for these in her book. Gluten intolerance is another culprit. This chapter alone is most informative if you feel you might suffer from an allergy or food intolerance.

Other topics include the importance of getting enough water and fiber for proper elimination (not anything new here, but putting it all together gives the reader a plan to take control). A Daily Moves section is devoted to stretching exercises that may do more good than a carpio-vascular workout. Another step offers supplements to speed weight loss, items such as Lipoid Acid, Carnitine and CoQ10 plus green tea. Other super spices may help, and Ms. Somers lists suggested daily doses.

Part 3 of Somers' plan is the recipe section. I've tried several off her recipes and find them mostly tasty and easy to prepare. While she promotes a high protein, low carb eating plan, unlike Jorge Cruise, she prefers a little more fruit in her diet which should appeal to most. At each of the three levels, she offers a week's worth of menu ideas, all of them simple to prepare and tasty.
A cheat sheet shows which foods are insulin triggers, bad fats or healthy fats to help you make wise choices. The Resource section shows what an analysis of one's blood might reveal and what each panel represents. Lastly there's a purchasing index with some of the suggested products Suzanne's own trademarked items, but also a buy list for others and a bibliography followed by a comprehensive index.

I found the book a good reference to keep me on track, and I feel this approach to transforming a body from fat to fit a more enjoyable and healthy approach that fits with my enjoyment of good food and a healthier lifestyle. Suzanne Somers offers a workable plan for everyone. Well-researched and well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Trust her and I'm doing exactly what she says, January 7, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
I have all her books. I somersized away 30 pounds 8 years ago along with my husband ( 30 pounds) and my son ( 100 pounds) but sadly we got complacent and gained some of that weight back. This book is exactly what I need at this time in my life. I'm 53 post menopausal with hashimotos disease and fibromyalgia ( both of which she addresses in this book) I need to make a change in my life. I thought it would only be about weight. It isnt. this book CAN be overwhelming and she knows it ...through out her book she continually says.....stay with me here.......and I did. This information is right and true. I looked up every article and resource I could find that she used and found a hundredfold more in information about the toxins in our society. It made me sick. Or should I say....sicker. No wonder we women get breast, uterine and thyroid cancer ...no wonder we dont sleep and are fat. When you examine for yourself the CANCER CAUSING chemicals used in our makeup and creams and shampoos etc it will make you sick. Go to [...]m and put in your hairspray or Hope in a miracle jar cream and see what toxic level its at. I couldnt believe it. The expensive brands I had sitting in my bathroom that I smear on my skin or spray into myself every day have KNOWN cancer causing ( many have numerous chemicals) chemicals in them. I will admit the first night I read half her book and that night I didnt sleep AT ALL. I laid there freaked out of my mind at the sheer stupidity of myself using things FULL of cancer causing agents all because I want to look better!!! How much will my looks matter when I'm battling breast or thyroid cancer?? That was 3 days ago. I know its not cheap to replace so many things but you know getting cancer and other like diseases isnt cheap either. I went online and found so many non toxic products that it made my head spin. I really had no idea what was available until Suzanne made me look. I've boxed up ALL my poisons and yes I charged some of the new non toxic things I ordered because I dont have tons of money but I'm very happy that Suzanne took the time to tell me about these things and how toxins and poisons are making us sick ( to death) and fat and I'm not looking back. Oprah can have her hope and chemicals in a jar but I'm moving on from that to a healthy lifestyle. I finished this book in two days and promptly gave it to my 31 year old daughter who today boxed up all her poisons and is starting over with non toxic products.
Not only has Suzanne taught us how to eat healthier ....she's really taught us how to live healthier. This book can be overwhelming at times but I cant suggest strongly enough that everyone needs to read this.....especially the women of the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars NO MORE BLOATING,NO MORE DISCOMFORT, January 11, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
ALL MY LIFE, I BLOATED EVERY DAY. I FIGURED THAT'S THE HAND I HAD BEEN DEALT IN LIFE.
SUZANNE SOMERS RECOMMENDED AN ALLERGY TEST AND I DISCOVERED I WAS GLUTEN INTOLERANT.
AS SOON AS I STOPPED THE GLUTEN, I STOPPED BLOATING.
I ALSO LOST 3 INCHES OFF MY WAIST AND DROPPED THOSE PESKY 18 POUNDS I COULDN'T SHAKE NO MATTER WHAT I DID.
I ALSO LEARNED THAT BECAUSE I WAS EATING GLUTEN FOODS, MY BODY COULD NOT ABSORB MINERALS AND I HAD LOST A LOT OF BONE DENSITY.
I NO LONGER 'CRASH' MID AFTERNOON AND GO ON THE HUNT FOR COFFEE OR ORANGE JUICE OR A SNICKERS TO GET ME FUNCTIONAL.
I HAVE HAD ALL MY PANTS TAKEN IN AT THE TAILORS AND I AM A HAPPY GUY...THANK YOU SUZANNE.
IF YOU ARE NOT FEELING THE WAY YOU THINK YOU SHOULD, I RECOMMEND YOU READ THIS BOOK AND
ALL THE SUZANNE SOMERS BOOKS.
SHE KNOWS WHAT SHE WRITES ABOUT AND SHE WILL BRING REAL QUALITY TO YOUR LIFE.I

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money!, January 29, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
I have to say I too was disappointed with this book. I'm so glad I got the book at the library before I wasted my money. This book is good for someone who has a lot of money and could afford everything she recommends. It's easy for her to write this book because she is rich and could afford all the procedures, organic foods, organic creams, colon hydrotherapy, massages, expensive vitamins, a chef to cook for her, etc. What about someone who isn't a millionaire or has the kind of money she has...then what? Sexy Forever was not what I had expected. There is too much reference to products that cannot be located in the book or elsewhere. The information is overwhelming and not at all user-friendly. The book is confusing until you get to the foods and recipe section. I did buy her first book "Ageless" and I actually went to see the female doctor (Dr. Gulati) in New York that she highly recommended. Insurance does not cover any of this but I was so desparate to feel better that I actually followed her advice. I wasted so much money on this female doctor she recommended. It was a waste of my time and money. They kept making me see different doctors there and each one would say the other doctor had it wrong. They gave me too much hormone, as per one of her colleagues and it caused all my eyebrows to fall off and this was 2 years ago and it still did not grow back. They also had me take so many vitamins (as Suzanne recommends) and I had bad reaction to so many of the vitamins on top of the hormones. I can honestly say that I'm disappointed in Suzanne. This is all about money. She can afford to have all these treatments with no problem. If you're not a millionaire do yourself a favor and don't waste your money on this book. Get it from the library first. Also, the picture of her on the cover is probably when she was in her 30's. I saw her on HSN and she looks different than the picture on this book. That's all I have to say. Good luck to all who try this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just do everything she says with regards to food ..., February 9, 2011
This review is from: Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty (Hardcover)
... and prepare to be amazed.

I could not get rid of those last fifteen pounds, and I am an athlete. Those last fifteen pounds have been hanging around since 2007. I decided to follow the eating plan in this book and I lost ten pounds in two weeks, with more coming off daily even though I am eating as much as I want. I went from a size 10 to size 6 and I am still shrinking!! It's completely effortless! I feel fantastic!

My grocery bill has gone down because I don't buy sugary and processed foods, too. My only expense right now is buying smaller clothes; her eating plan works so well that if you follow it you'll be at the store buying smaller clothes too, I PROMISE you. I am even buying smaller SHOES.

Two things: make sure you only use olive oil (she's telling the truth about oils in this book), and you HAVE to at least get natural shampoo, conditioner, and body lotion (it seems like BS when you read it, but when you switch to all natural body products, I SWEAR the weight comes off even faster; like, you see the difference the next day, people -- no joke). I did not buy anything fancy BTW; I just got Burts Bees products, which are available almost everywhere.

What's stopping you? You have nothing to lose by trying her advice except weight.

***Just an update, folks -- I am now a size 2*** You have to get this book!!!

Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty
Sexy Forever: How to Fight Fat after Forty by Suzanne Somers (Hardcover - December 28, 2010)
$25.99 $19.28