4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy Design Made Easy.
If you have read as many web design books as I have you find that they fall into basically two categories:

1) The ones in which the author waxes on about how wonderful they are at design, show off page after page of their own portfolio. The entire book becomes a publicity fest.
Published on April 5, 2009 by G. Barber

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic web design process book
Although the book is very well written, it's mainly orientated towards basic web making process, not design. The process is described in a good way, but the design phase is mainly unexplained. Book's title shouldn't emphasize design nor interfaces.
Published on August 12, 2009 by Luka Vida

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy Design Made Easy., April 5, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)

2) Then there is the type of book that is presented in a level headed manner, it is a great reference of the step by step process that web designers go through to product a web site.

Well Sexy Web Design by Elliot Jay Stocks is the latter, a well balanced guide that takes you through a clean conversation on how to create that next awesome web site.

The thing that I really like about this book is that it is to the point, it's not overly weighty on the design theory, as it assumes you already have some of that skill locked away already. However this book would still be ideal for a beginning designer.

Was it personally useful for me, well I'll be honest, no it wasn't. While I was reading this book I was just ticking off the points made one by one, noting that in reality there was nothing that I hadn't already learnt from experience. Now I have been doing this a long time, so I do get this a lot. But it is good to know that Elliot in mu mind has covered off all the aspects of web design.

The book is divided into 6 chapters:

1) Overview of the design process, in which the design goals of an interface and the overall process are discussed.
2) Design Research, this chapter was so welcome, explaining why the brief is important, moving onto the design inspirational process.
3) Site Structure, being involved with information architecture, I'm going to have a little bit of a bias here. It's nice to see the consideration of this design element before jumping into the high resolution design.
4) Navigation and Interaction, again I'm bias here, Elliot runs through a whistle stop tour of the common web interactive elements, and what works where and when.
5) Aesthetics, in this solid chapter Elliot looks at the usual design techniques, the grid, layout types (fixed, fluid, flexible, etc), color, mood boards, imagery types, typography and the impact of emotion on the overall user experience. In a way this book is well worth its cost for this chapter alone.
6) Final wrap is with the Deliverables, so now you have that sexy design, how do you organise your Photoshop layers, deliver that mockup, slice the design quickly and write that style guide, well in this chapter Elliot tells us how.

I have yet to read the perfect book, this had a few things that annoyed me, there was one instance where I thought the layout of the pages could have been executed in a different manor. But overall that was a minor point. Nothing that I would discount the book for.

Sexy Web Design is by in large a good reference book.

Full of little hints and tips that will help all but crusty old designers like me. And even then if you have had your eye off the ball for an instant, I bet you will still get something out of this book.

Now if you are looking for a Photoshop guide or a CSS design book, this is not for you, this is about design!

So if you have a design flare, and need to know how to design web sites then this is the book for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sitting under a mentor for a couple of hours, April 10, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
I really enjoyed seeing the process that Elliot goes through to come up with a Web design. It was like I was sitting with him having me explain his process while coming up with a design. As a veteran designer, there were a lot of little tips that will help me add to my arsenal.

I think the value of this book is being able to have someone mentor you. Elliot has proven "sexy web designs" so he is one you would want to have mentor you. I believe I will become a better designer after sitting under his tutelage.

My only disappointment is the price of the book. Sitepoint seems to price all their books at $39.95 regardless of amount of content. This book was a quick read and I think it would have been better priced at $24.99 or less.

2.0 out of 5 stars Basic web design process book, August 12, 2009
Luka Vida (Zagreb, Europe) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
If you're interested in design more than in whole process of making website buy book The Principles of Beautiful Web Design.

1.0 out of 5 stars I believed in miracles..., September 27, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
The author spends the first 118 pages sharing a pretty basic (and decidedly unsexy) overview of the non-aesthetic aspects of website design including more than a fair share of vague and sometimes inane generalizations; e.g., on page 97: "Make your color choices wisely..." Wisely? If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't have spent $40 on this book. And on page 100: "If your eyes feel happy, then go for it." And clap your hands, if you know it.

Then suddenly in the space of 10 pages the author presents his final website design with detailed rationale, plunging from a 10,000 foot overview to a 20X dissecting microscope inspection. I only wish I could have understood what he was talking about as he peered through his lens.

And where in all this is the "Sexy" promised in the title? The author seems to think the font Museo is "a very sexy font" (page 127), and also, generally speaking, trying anything "a bit out of the ordinary" (page 128). Yes, I suppose a bit of judicious rebellion has a certain beauty to it.

On a positive note, the book is only 146 pages long. My eyes didn't feel happy most of the way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Misleading Title, October 27, 2009
J. Winger (Southern California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
This book promises a lot, but offers very little. The title and description made me assume I would be learning about design theory and when and why to use certain design elements for one project and not another. But instead, the book gives a generalized overview of every step in the design process from initially talking to the client to research and so on. Each section gives you a brief outline of what you should do during that phase of the design process. For more details about a certain topic the author points to another book or blog posting you could read to sharpen your skills. I found this to be very irritating because as soon as the author started to interest me in some depth of insight he would stop and tell me to read something else.

This book is good for what it is, an overview of the web design process. But as far as sexy web design is concerned, this book is nothing but. This book would be great for someone just starting out in the web design field and doesn't know how to go from meeting with the client to completing the site the client had in mind. If you're looking for a book about sexy web design then I'd suggest looking somewhere else.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for anyone who wants to be better., June 15, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
I've never been happier with my own work now that I've read Sexy Web Design. Elliot is a great writer and this book is exceptionally cohesive and comfortable to read. The book brings enlightenment to many crucial concepts and practices of the design process while demonstrating such ideas by applying them to an example project.

To say that this book is only for beginners is a little perplexing to me when you consider that the vast majority of designers out there - both beginners and veterans - continue to overlook the basic principles of good design. I would recommend this book to any web designer that wants to produce better work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive designer, good book, April 17, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
I have been doing a lot of research lately to brush up my web site creation and management skills. I've been reading about content management systems, JavaScript, systems administration topics and the like. With most of these are things I am well past the novice stage. My biggest weakness in the process is not technical, but design related.

I am not a graphic designer. I am not a web designer. I know I have a lot to learn. That is why I started looking for help. Perhaps a person with design experience, especially design for the web, might find much of this book basic. I learned a lot. While there is no doubt I have a long way to go, I feel like I have a better sense of where the path is and in what direction I wish to head.

The book is comprised of six easy to read chapters. There are a large number of interesting and beautiful illustrations to enable us to clearly see and understand the design concepts he discusses including interfaces, structure, navigation, and interaction.

This is not a book about code. There are no detailed instructions for making the design happen, although there are some hints and tips for people to keep in mind to make that step easier. This is a book about how to envision and build the look and feel of a site. It is not about the technology, it's about the appearance and whether it draws you in and is effective in conveying the message and data you want your visitors to receive.

I found the discussions of the design process, planning, research, sketches, layout, and more to be incredibly useful and interesting. I would imagine that people with a design background would find them basic, but again, I'm a complete novice in this area. If you are like me, the book is certainly worth a look. It is expensive for the amount of content, so I would start by picking it up in a bookstore or library to determine if you believe it will be useful enough to want to take home. I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Book Review Sexy Web Design, July 12, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
Sexy Web Design by Elliot Jay Stocks is a great idea book for helping you develop web sites that are attractive and user friendly.

Contents 18/25
Ease of Understanding/Practicality 18/25
Pictures/Illustrations 20/25
Additional Features 20/25
Total 76/100

Get your mind out of the gutter, Sexy Web Design is not your book for creating web sites centered around attractive men or women, it's about creating good looking websites. From user friendly web sites that people want to visit to web sites that are easy for people to visit and come back to again and again Sexy Web Design will help you with web site ideas.

Sexy Web Design is your tool for helping you design websites that are easy to use, look good and are user friendly with common sense ideas behind the process. The author Elliot Jay Stocks takes you through good ideas and basic design elements for web sites and helps you design a web site that you can use.

From the common problems we all see in web sites you can see that not all websites are easy to use or friendly to visitors so research is important. Elliot takes you through a design and research process to find out what your site needs and what elements you want in your design.

Researching what the site is about and what you want to highlight on the index page is important so research and getting to know about the content is important. This book is not a step by step tutorial for specific programs to design and create your website but a basic thought provoking process to help you with the creation process.

Sexy Web Design is all about sketching and getting the design down on paper before you start with a program so you go through a logical process of thinking about and seeing what works and what doesn't. This is all a part of research as well as designing the website and an important part that Elliot stresses is doing research to find out what works on the internet and what doesn't.

The book takes you through a process of finding out what exactly the website design needs to be and what information you need to add to it to create a good looking and informative web design. Asking the right questions and getting the needed answers is all a part of web design and the book helps you with a series of questions to ask when designing a site for others.

The book helps you in both designing web sites for yourself or as a guide to running a web design business and dealing with customers who are unsure of just what they want. I love his brief from a customer that says I need a good looking website that is easy to use and nothing more.

This would be a very basic way for a customer to ask for you to design a website and he goes into detail about what you need to find out about the needs of a customer. You can also apply these ideas for your own site to list what you want in a site and start designing a site from a logical progression instead of just slapping things together.

Sexy Web Design continues from the research and finding out what is needed for the site and goes into designing the navigation and working with the site that is user friendly. Chapters on aesthetics and what works on the internet is important to the design of a website and the book will show you things about a web site that you may have taken for granted.

From fonts and what is useable and user friendly to a general final project that you can show to a customer the book takes you through the design process and goes into specifics about what works for color, layout and special content. Audio and video is also an important part of some websites and you will have some useful tips and hints for all these types of features all the way through a final project that works and is attractive.

Sexy Web Design is a great book for creating websites for beginners who are unsure of what they need or what works and is not for people who know how to design sites. This is more of a helpful logical guide to help the process and design a website that looks good and works.

Sexy Web design is a great guide for new web developers and a good new look at web design for those that already know what they're doing but may want a few new ideas. I recommend Sexy Web Design by Elliot Jay Stocks for a fresh new look at web site design and how to make good looking web sites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sexy but a little too thin for me, April 25, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
Design is usually not a natural talent for those of use that are technically inclined, and I am no exception. Typically design is the hardest part in my opinion, so I appreciate anything that helps make that process easier. I enjoyed Sexy Web Design although it was a very quick read, which is why I kept it at 4 stars. This book does a great job of providing a 1000 foot view of website creation from the eye of a designer from div arrangement, layout, color scheme, and font choice.

What this book is not is a technical reference regarding to code. This book does not explain how to use CSS or the HTML tags to create the design effect (for the most part). However, if you purchase this book to get an overall picture of creating an online mood or user experience then this is a great buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' for any web programmer's collection, June 16, 2009
This review is from: Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work (Paperback)
SEXY WEB DESIGN is a 'must' for any library strong in web development and programming, and tells programmers how to build fine web interfaces. From creating a fine usable web site based on foundations of solid design choices to mastering web interface concepts to create functional sites that are also artistic, this is a 'must' for any web programmer's collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work
Sexy Web Design: Creating Interfaces that Work by Elliot Jay Stocks (Paperback - April 7, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01